• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gears of War Ultimate Edition out now on Windows 10

You can go into the W10 settings - storage - and specific where to DL windows apps. Can't add a specific location though I think, just hard drive.

That's not good enough. I have a specific games folder on a hard drive I use for games. I don't want it in a different place than everything else. Keep in mind I can't even download the game currently.

Let me download it right away, did you perhaps do the switch region thing?

Store location can be changed in Windows Settings :)

Nope US store region purchased at full price.

Tecnniqe

Banned
They've got about 15 minutes to let me download the game before I refund it.

I'm actually extremely disappointed because I love Gears but at this point I am just more than annoyed.

I can take the lack of G-sync support (however hilarious it is that it doesn't support it) but add in no things like not being able to specify download location, Windows Store only (which also means it'll have a smaller playerbase) and Vsync issues... yeah I'm starting to not feel it.

Let me download it right away, did you perhaps do the switch region thing?

Store location can be changed in Windows Settings :)

Caayn

XB1 said:
gowcaaynxb1dqqfp.png
PC said:
Can someone please take a screenshot of the graphics settings and options and enumerate them?
gowcaaynpcs16q5j.png

AA - None, FXAA
Texture Quality - Lowest, Low, Medium, High, Highest
Shadow Quality - Low, Medium, High
AO - Off, On
Motion Blur - Off, On
Visual Effects Quality - Low, Medium, High

Tecnniqe

Banned
That's not good enough. I have a specific games folder on a hard drive I use for games. I don't want it in a different place than everything else. Keep in mind I can't even download the game currently.

Nope US store region purchased at full price.
US store here as well no issue - 29.99
gowcaaynpcs16q5j.png

AA - None, FXAA
AO - Off, On
Motion Blur - Off, On

Did you take those? If so would you mind telling me if there is Coop still?

They've got about 15 minutes to let me download the game before I refund it.

I'm actually extremely disappointed because I love Gears but at this point I am just more than annoyed.

I can take the lack of G-sync support (however hilarious it is that it doesn't support it) but add in no things like not being able to specify download location, Windows Store only (which also means it'll have a smaller playerbase) and Vsync issues... yeah I'm starting to not feel it.

Wait... what?!? For real? Don't even think my main ssd (w/OS) can fit this game. lol

Coolade

"Other than the exact things that would graphically tax a system, it shouldn't be any more demanding"

GAF

I'd look at AMD drivers and Windows store limitations as the cause for bad performance issues before anything else for a remastered 360 game *shrug*

gowcaaynpcs16q5j.png

AA - None, FXAA
AO - Off, On
Motion Blur - Off, On

Thank you very much.

That AA option is frankly embarassing for a DX12 game.

chozen

They need to release this on Steam if the multiplayer is going to have any large/active community, that's something I want to see.
I would still play Gears 1 multiplayer today if my old 360 didn't red ring, then I never looked back.
Also that windows 10 requirement is unfortunate, hopefully that changes because they are losing out on a lot of potential sales like myself.

Detox

For those who played on XB1 how is the online for this? Is it still the OG Gears we love or did they change it?

Tecnniqe

Banned
They need to release this on Steam if the multiplayer is going to have any large/active community, that's something I want to see.
I would still play Gears 1 multiplayer today if my old 360 didn't red ring, then I never looked back.
Also that windows 10 requirement is unfortunate, hopefully that changes because they are losing out on a lot of potential sales like myself.

You refuse to purchase it because its not on steam?

If you want that, just refund the game. With Windows 10 apps Microsoft wants to get rid of the idea of files and folders and have things work like mobile apps (think iOS).

You can't launch the game via the exe and you can't modify the files (this is on purpose by design and will never be "fixed"), so why do you want it in the games folder?

It won't.

chozen

You refuse to purchase it because its not on steam?

No, I refuse because they want me to change to windows 10. But other than that having it on steam with an active community would mean a lot more sales/lively multiplayer. Especially if it were on the front page of the steam store.

Salty Hippo

Could you elaborate this a little bit more, since I'm looking to buy it that way, do you just buy some store credits, and then change the region of the store?

I would also like to know more details about this method. I see the price as 729,00 in Indian currency, but when I'm prompted to pay the country is locked to India as you'd expect. And my credit card is obviously not Indian.

.hacked

Was hopping for free or discount because I own digitally on Xbox one. I'll wait for a sale, tried to buy with the India link but can't use US credit card.

You're missing the point... the whole purpose of this PC push is to unify Xbox Live (not divide) through Windows 10.

Yeah but the limitations of Windows 10 games seems crazy. I mean who in their right mind would buy ROTTR on W10 over Steam? It's like having a console again.

Jawmuncher

Yeah but the limitations of Windows 10 games seems crazy. I mean who in their right mind would buy ROTTR on W10 over Steam? It's like having a console again.

It really seems like they're banking on Xbox Owners who have a PC as well and buy digitally. Which just seems like an odd market to go for.

But as far as the store goes, they could still put it on Steam.

well then that's different.

I don't fault them for trying to sell their stuff exclusively on their store, EA is doing it now and Blizzard has been doing it since forever.

My real question concerns their commitment to the Win10 stuff. They don't have the benefit of the doubt given how horribly everything related to GFWL went and it's going to take quite some time to rebuild that relationship with PC gamers.

I've only purchased those two twin stick halo games from the win10 store for $.20 total so i'm not really taking chances with them until i see more.

You can put Win10 exclusives on Steam.

of course you can. I thought Icy was referring to the OS exclusivity, not the Win10 store exclusive stuff

Qwik

Neo Member
I'm guessing nobody can do an FPS test due to windows apps not operating with FRAPS etc?

MS helping us all, once again.

Gears of War: Ultimate Edition on Windows 10 has a built in FPS test in the game itself. Pretty easy to use and test configuration/settings.

Top Bottom