• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Say, did anyone manage to get GeDoSaTo working with Dynasty Warriors 8? GeDoSaTo itself works with it but any attempt to downsample makes the game revert to 640x480 so I assume it's one of these hardlocked games like MGR :/

And Astebreed can be added to the whitelist!

Durante

Is it possible for GeDoSaTo to recognize more than 1 resolution? That way I wouldn't have to close the game, open the settings and change the res, then start the game back up again.
It's possible, it just makes everything more complicated. I'll get to it at some point.

BONKERS

After testing some more, basically it seems any driver enhancements beyond maybe 16xAF don't work when using GeDoSaTo. This includes driver forced AA like SGSSAA. Which sucks, because downsampling+SGSSAA could definitely benefit from bicubic, or in the cases of games where SGSSAA is very blurry, Lanczos would probably help out a bit too.

Another weird thing I discovered and I don't know if is MII specific, but the Ultra Preset of SMAA in GeDoSaTo seems to be working quite differently than SMAA in SweetFX with the default custom settings
Seems like GeDoSaTo gets Horizontal aliasing better than SweetFX but SweetFX gets vertical aliasing a lot better.

Would that be related to the search radius maybe?

Ex. 1440p shots
NoAA http://i.minus.com/iob5KXuL5nJtI.png
GeDoSaTo SMAA=4 http://i.minus.com/ibbAGyWm8t9HmZ.png
SweetFX SMAA default custom http://i.minus.com/ibi1UqdwXPaXFs.png

After testing some more, basically it seems any driver enhancements beyond maybe 16xAF don't work when using GeDoSaTo. This includes driver forced AA like SGSSAA.

That's weird. I could have sworn SGSSAA was working for me in Borderlands 2. I'm definitely getting the performance hit.

Maybe I'll take some comparison shots at 2x and 8x to see if it's actually doing anything.

Not sure if people are already aware of this, but I hit a crash bug in Xcom Declassified. GeDoSaTo will work with the game, but once you hit a checkpoint, the game CTD's if youre using it

Durante

Not sure if people are already aware of this, but I hit a crash bug in Xcom Declassified. GeDoSaTo will work with the game, but once you hit a checkpoint, the game CTD's if youre using it
That's interesting. I don't have the game, but if anyone with some debugging skills has it I'd like to know if the DirectX debug runtime reports any errors.

Has anybody gotten this to work properly with Source Engine games on the Orange Box Engine (HL2/Portal 1)?

Basically the UI does not scale with resolution so it gets tiny (not a problem), the issue is that the game still thinks that the UI is large, so the buttons are essentially invisible/misplaced. I can hit the correct options but it takes a lot of trial and error. This can be somewhat avoided if I just press escape after applying the resolution.

Though that causes another problem! In HL2 EP1 (I would assume HL2 & EP2 as well) the mouse starts going crazy and turns in circles forever. No way to stop it.

Any fixes for either of these?

BONKERS

That's weird. I could have sworn SGSSAA was working for me in Borderlands 2. I'm definitely getting the performance hit.

Maybe I'll take some comparison shots at 2x and 8x to see if it's actually doing anything.

To be sure, take the shots at pre-downsampled res.

Do something like

Same scene

NoAA
SGSSAA

Maybe it's a per game issue?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Has anybody gotten this to work properly with Source Engine games on the Orange Box Engine (HL2/Portal 1)?

Basically the UI does not scale with resolution so it gets tiny (not a problem), the issue is that the game still thinks that the UI is large, so the buttons are essentially invisible/misplaced. I can hit the correct options but it takes a lot of trial and error. This can be somewhat avoided if I just press escape after applying the resolution.

Though that causes another problem! In HL2 EP1 (I would assume HL2 & EP2 as well) the mouse starts going crazy and turning in circles forever. No way to stop it.

Could you use Keyboard to select your options?

Parsnip

Though that causes another problem! In HL2 EP1 (I would assume HL2 & EP2 as well) the mouse starts going crazy and turns in circles forever. No way to stop it.

Just tested Portal.
Check the mouse fixes at the end of the ini, to fix the spinning set modifyGetCursorPos and modifySetCursorPos to true.
And to fix the menu positioning, set interceptWindowProc to true.

Didn't think it would be possible but even RTCW can be GeDoSaTo'ed !
You need the nglide wrapper to convert OpenGL calls to D3D. Configure it to render at a huge resolution and then set that same res as your GeDo RenderWidth/RenderHeight and voilà.
sanstitre40jyn.jpg
sanstitre2dokmc.jpg
This is good news because it means that virtually GeDoSaTo could now be compatible with all these games ^^
I'm getting a few mouse issues though, the cursor always goes slowly upwards, just like in System Shock 2. Couldn't find any suitable settings to fix that.

optimyst

Neo Member
That is strange indeed. I'm able to see the tool overlay and it is working in game. I'm not at the home pc now but I can post my config file for GeDoSaTo and MKKE a bit later if that helps.

Update:
Here is the GeDoSaTo config I have for mkke (using default injection method)

renderWidth 7680
renderHeight 4320

# Compatibility Settings

# Forces the constant reporting of the downsampling resolution in all applicable
# scenarios - a small selection of games needs this to show the DS resolutions
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true

And the MKKE config file

[Video]
resolution = {7680, 4320}
antialiasing = 0
blend_antialiasing = 0
anisotropy = 1
max_texture = 4096
shadow_size = 2048
brightness = 0.500000
contrast = 0.500000
gamma = 0.500000
configured = true

first of all sorry for the very late response. thanks for sharing your settings but unfortunatly i had exact the same...
even with 0.9 beta still the same outcome: 7680x4320 is already selected in the menu but it definatly is 1080p. overlay is not working.

The-Bean

Has anybody successfully got L.A Noire working? The resolution appears in the launcher but the game crashes on launch for me in DX11 and reverts the resolution to 720p in DX9.

Parsnip

Has anybody successfully got L.A Noire working? The resolution appears in the launcher but the game crashes on launch for me in DX11 and reverts the resolution to 720p in DX9.
DX11 doesn't work because it isn't supported at the moment. Don't know about DX9 mode in regard to LA Noire though.

HRose

Banned
To clarify, are you wanting black bars, or stretching?

1- internal resolution before scaling
2- image format you scale to
3- screen resolution

So the result is that you get exactly what you want.

If at step 2 you scale the image to be the same of the screen, then you get all the surface covered.

If instead the scaled image is only a part of the screen resolution, then you have black bars.

If you want stretching, then you simply modify the format at step 2.

So basically, the feature request above simply boils down to keeping the aspect ratio of the original image when downsampling, right? If so, I can do that.

Essentially yes. But what I ask is that you keep the three steps separate.

Right now:

1- internal screen resolution
2- scaled image format = actual screen resolution

What I'm asking is that you scale the image to whatever arbitrary format, THEN print that image at a screen resolution you set.

The idea is to detach the scaled image size from the screen resolution size. That way you handle aspect ratio any way you want.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
1- internal resolution before scaling
2- image format you scale to
3- screen resolution

So the result is that you get exactly what you want.

If at step 2 you scale the image to be the same of the screen, then you get all the surface covered.

If instead the scaled image is only a part of the screen resolution, then you have black bars.

If you want stretching, then you simply modify the format at step 2.

Essentially yes. But what I ask is that you keep the three steps separate.

Right now:

1- internal screen resolution
2- scaled image format = actual screen resolution

What I'm asking is that you scale the image to whatever arbitrary format, THEN print that image at a screen resolution you set.

The idea is to detach the scaled image size from the screen resolution size. That way you handle aspect ratio any way you want.

This isn't exactly what you're asking for, but you can get visually identical results by creating custom resolutions.

Example:

Use the internal resolution of 3840x1620

Use the present resolution of 1920x810​

Your monitor will display it appropriately with black bars, you just need to make sure you have the custom resolution 1920x810 in your drivers. If you want help with learning how to do that, there are guides on Neogaf. It is pretty simple to do once you know how.

Jito

Banned
So I've got random orange outlines on some objects in Dark Souls 2 , is this a new known bug? I've not played in a while and now random things have strange outlines like rocks, characters, trees. Do I just need to update GeDoSaTo?

Hey Durante, is there any way I can get forced AO to work alongside Gedosato's downsampling? As soon as I switch to 4K it turns the forced AO off. Tried it in Assassin's Creed 1 using DX9.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
So I've got random orange outlines on some objects in Dark Souls 2 , is this a new known bug? I've not played in a while and now random things have strange outlines like rocks, characters, trees. Do I just need to update GeDoSaTo?

That's weird. Try disabling FXAA or more likely SMAA. Does that change anything?

far327

Neo Member
Hi all

I noticed that Nvidia Ambient Occlusion no longer works when running GeDoSaTo on Skyrim.
Is this something that could possibly be fixed?

Thank you for all your amazing work on this project.

@jim2point0 - Nice shots of BL2! :) Always been a fan of your screen archery dude! you should stop by enbseries forums again some time..

Durante

Hi all

I noticed that Nvidia Ambient Occlusion no longer works when running GeDoSaTo on Skyrim.
Is this something that could possibly be fixed?
No. Driver hacks rely on some mechanisms to determine when they should apply themselves. Those mechanisms apparently no longer work if the actual renderbuffer size differs from the screen resolution.

The only ones who could fix that would be NV.

That's not a GeDoSaTo bug, that's a bug with NV's driver forced AA implementation.

BONKERS

Alright, cheers mate. Hopefully Nvidia will eventually become aware of the problem.

Unlikely. Their flag is most likely for MSAA and in a game like DS2, MSAA is going to be ugly with glitches like that anyway. So WYSIWYG.

But also, if one could simply also report to NVAPI that when using a GeDoSaTo resolution it is also the display resolution, perhaps if was possible that may solve it.

I don't see why the driver shouldn't be seeing it that way anyway since it goes through the game, but since it's intercepting calls, maybe it still tells the driver that it's the display resolution that's being used by the program or something.

But you can downsample using custom resolutions in the driver and use things like AA&HBAO+ without much issue.

This is a disappointing compromise.

The good news is, that generally in a lot of games, built in AO is fractional to the main frame buffer resolution. Meaning the higher that is, the higher the AO quality is too.

Durante

I don't see why the driver shouldn't be seeing it that way anyway since it goes through the game, but since it's intercepting calls, maybe it still tells the driver that it's the display resolution that's being used by the program or something.
It does, that's the main point of GeDoSaTo - the resolution the game thinks it is running at generally doesn't exist as a "real" display resolution.

As I explained earlier in the thread, it's possible to fool the user-mode program (which is what GeDoSaTo does). It's not possible to fool the driver - we need it to actually render stuff to the screen!

Durante

I was born ready.
I'm assuming it's about hudless screens for all pc games, based on what Durante said before about the injectPSHash article having a deadline.

If so, woot.
It is. I hope I explained it well enough so that at least some people can make use of it - it's not that trivial.

Seanspeed

Banned
Ok, I don't understand how to use this.

Trying to get it to play with Borderlands 2. What do I have to do? Have no idea. Doesn't seem to be anything in the README explaining it.

Also, how do I take screenshots with this? Also not explained at all in the README.

EDIT: Added 'Borderlands 2' to the whitelist.txt, and I now have the option of 4k resolution in the display menu, but I don't think anything is working beyond that. Still just seems to be SweetFX running(cuz I can toggle it on and off with Scroll Lock).

Do I have to delete SweetFX from the BL2 directory?

EDIT2: Ok, figured out the screenshot function. Will test out.

Seanspeed

Banned
Yea, still not understanding how screenshots work. Supposed to press * or / but they don't do anything.

Also, do I need to delete SweetFX from my Borderlands 2 directory to use GeDoSaTo with it? Will one overwrite the other or something?

EDIT: Is the VK in the keybindings supposed to mean something? I've tried a couple times now and the screenshot buttons aren't doing anything.

The article title makes it seem like it's all about shaders. Psssh. Hudless screenshots is all I wanted to read about.

So once someone creates a profile for a game, anyone can use that going forward? We don't all have to do this individually for each game, right?

EDIT: I just got to the point at the end where we can share the profiles on GitHUB. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Durante, you beautiful bastard.

Durante

The article title makes it seem like it's all about shaders. Psssh. Hudless screenshots is all I wanted to read about.
It's the same thing really. Admittedly I also care more about the screenshots :p

So once someone creates a profile for a game, anyone can use that going forward? We don't all have to do this individually for each game, right?

EDIT: I just got to the point at the end where we can share the profiles on GitHUB. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice. Durante, you beautiful bastard.
Yep. I hope we get to a point where there are hundreds of profiles (now there are 3).

I almost can't believe one of the sections in the article is called 'A big dump'.

slowclap.gif
I put that in the first draft as a joke, was sure it would get edited out :p

Parsnip

So far all dumps have lead to crash on my end, I don't own ME3 to use it as a test case either. There are a bunch of pics in the tmp folder though, but they almost seem out of order. Like for example, the very first dump has all the hud elements in it, is that normal?

I wonder if something is conflicting with it somehow.

Durante

So far all dumps have lead to crash on my end, I don't own ME3 to use it as a test case either. There are a bunch of pics in the tmp folder though, but they almost seem out of order. Like for example, the very first dump has all the hud elements in it, is that normal?

I wonder if something is conflicting with it somehow.
The crash is normal, but it should only crash when it's done dumping.

A dump can start with HUD elements visible, that means the game is re-using an old buffer. Search for the last image without the HUD visible.

Parsnip

The crash is normal, but it should only crash when it's done dumping.

A dump can start with HUD elements visible, that means the game is re-using an old buffer. Search for the last image without the HUD visible.

I did, but even the last dump in both Tomb Raider Legend and Bionic Commando didn't have any hud, so I was wondering if it crashed before it was done.

Here's a problem with KoA: Reckoning. 94 is the final post processing pass, but there's no SetPixelShader entry between 94 and 95.
preswitch_by_majorparsnip-d7s42i0.jpg

Any thoughts on this one?

Spazznid

I have no idea how Github works.

so here's the working thing for Remember Me.

This will allow the HUDless screenshot function to work, as well as postFX not affecting the HUD.

injectPSHash d5c7a346

Dumpframe crashes Child of Light before it finishes :(

Not only that, but the first 4 images generated all have a HUD. After that it's black images, white images, and a few with a few different sprites being rendered individually.

It's a 2D game so it's not THAT important, but I figured it'd be an easy one to try. The problem is that most of the games I have HUD trouble with are DX11 :(

EDIT: Same problem with Borderlands 2. I don't know what I'm doing...

The very first frames have the HUD in them. Here's what the dumped images look like and which ones have the HUD in them:

Top Bottom