• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Hey, Durante! Gedosato is an amazing tool. And upsampling feature can smooth out those pixels damn good. But i have some issues with it, and maybe you can elaborate on these items if you please:

1) Upsampling for Binding of Isaac Rebirth is not working. This game is probably none of your interests, but many fans will be pleased using Timothy Lottes’ great CRT shader.

2) The same is for Shovel Knight. I remember seeing screenshots of SK with CRT shader on, and it looked amazing! But again i cannot get it work with Gedosato,

3) I've tried La Mulana and while the CRT filter is working. it is not so sharp as on your screenshots. The text is unreadable for me but on your screenshots it is indeed readable. Could you please provide your CRT shader settings for this game?

Thank you for your response in advance!

For Shovel Knights CRT shader I used SweetFx.

I really, really wish Shovel Knight worked with GeDo because then we could properly render it at 400x240, scale it up to 1600x960 then apply the CRT shader to ensure that when the background items paralax scroll everything stays rendered within the pixel grid.

Otherwise, whenever scrolling things have a bit of a stuttery look to them since just about half the time they'll be sitting right in the middle of a scanline.

BONKERS

16:10 would be 3840×2400 not 2160x2400.

Exactly.

You should learn how to properly scale resolution per aspect ratio. Better yet, STICK to using as small as possible (By small as possible. I mean small number of integers. None of that insane ridiculous 1.xxxxxxxxx shit Nvidia does that need rounding) integer scaling ratios. (1.3x1.3 for example.) This makes it as potentially error free as possible.

There are several free AR calculators out there for you if you'd rather eschew that.

Me again with another stupid question ;)

Gedosato stopps working if I run a game in Win95 compatibility mode... why is that?

It's the only option to get sound in Bioshock 1 for me, so it's either sound or AA :(

Durante

Hey, Durante! Gedosato is an amazing tool. And upsampling feature can smooth out those pixels damn good. But i have some issues with it, and maybe you can elaborate on these items if you please:

1) Upsampling for Binding of Isaac Rebirth is not working. This game is probably none of your interests, but many fans will be pleased using Timothy Lottes’ great CRT shader.

2) The same is for Shovel Knight. I remember seeing screenshots of SK with CRT shader on, and it looked amazing! But again i cannot get it work with Gedosato,

3) I've tried La Mulana and while the CRT filter is working. it is not so sharp as on your screenshots. The text is unreadable for me but on your screenshots it is indeed readable. Could you please provide your CRT shader settings for this game?

Thank you for your response in advance!
For 1) and 2), I have Isaac Rebirth but not Shovel Knight. I can have a look at Isaac.

Regarding 3), you need to set the CRT resolution in the shader to the game's resolution. I use these settings for the game:
Code:
// ------------------------- Timothy Lottes' CRT --------------------------------

// Emulated input resolution.
#if 0
  // Fix resolution to set amount.
  float2 res = float2((640.0*16/9)/1.0, 480.0/1.0);
#else
  // Optimize for resize.
  float2 res = SCREEN_SIZE / 3.0; // <-- original implementation : SCREEN_SIZE / 6.0; (probably hardcoded for ShaderToy)
#endif

// Hardness of scanline.
//  -8.0 = soft
// -16.0 = medium
float hardScan=-32.0;

// Hardness of pixels in scanline.
// -2.0 = soft
// -4.0 = hard
float hardPix=-3.5;

// Hardness of short vertical bloom.
//  -1.0 = wide to the point of clipping (bad)
//  -1.5 = wide
//  -4.0 = not very wide at all
float hardBloomScan=-3.8;

// Hardness of short horizontal bloom.
//  -0.5 = wide to the point of clipping (bad)
//  -1.0 = wide
//  -2.0 = not very wide at all
float hardBloomPix=-2.0;

// Amount of small bloom effect.
//  1.0/1.0 = only bloom
//  1.0/16.0 = what I think is a good amount of small bloom
//  0.0     = no bloom
float bloomAmount=1.0/24.0;

// Display warp.
// 0.0 = none
// 1.0/8.0 = extreme
float2 warp=float2(1.0/128.0,1.0/68.0);
//float2 warp=float2(0.0,0.0);

// Amount of shadow mask.
float maskDark=0.5;
float maskLight=1.5;

Me again with another stupid question ;)

Gedosato stopps working if I run a game in Win95 compatibility mode... why is that?
Probably because it uses API functions not available in Windows 95.

wilflare

For 1) and 2), I have Isaac Rebirth but not Shovel Knight. I can have a look at Isaac.

Regarding 3), you need to set the CRT resolution in the shader to the game's resolution. I use these settings for the game:
Code:
// ------------------------- Timothy Lottes' CRT --------------------------------

// Emulated input resolution.
#if 0
  // Fix resolution to set amount.
  float2 res = float2((640.0*16/9)/1.0, 480.0/1.0);
#else
  // Optimize for resize.
  float2 res = SCREEN_SIZE / 3.0; // <-- original implementation : SCREEN_SIZE / 6.0; (probably hardcoded for ShaderToy)
#endif

// Hardness of scanline.
//  -8.0 = soft
// -16.0 = medium
float hardScan=-32.0;

// Hardness of pixels in scanline.
// -2.0 = soft
// -4.0 = hard
float hardPix=-3.5;

// Hardness of short vertical bloom.
//  -1.0 = wide to the point of clipping (bad)
//  -1.5 = wide
//  -4.0 = not very wide at all
float hardBloomScan=-3.8;

// Hardness of short horizontal bloom.
//  -0.5 = wide to the point of clipping (bad)
//  -1.0 = wide
//  -2.0 = not very wide at all
float hardBloomPix=-2.0;

// Amount of small bloom effect.
//  1.0/1.0 = only bloom
//  1.0/16.0 = what I think is a good amount of small bloom
//  0.0     = no bloom
float bloomAmount=1.0/24.0;

// Display warp.
// 0.0 = none
// 1.0/8.0 = extreme
float2 warp=float2(1.0/128.0,1.0/68.0);
//float2 warp=float2(0.0,0.0);

// Amount of shadow mask.
float maskDark=0.5;
float maskLight=1.5;

Probably because it uses API functions not available in Windows 95.

I should really give that CRT Shader a try - seems like awesomesauce :D

luca_29_bg

guys someone have the right settings to get to work castlevania lord of shadow 2 downsampling with gedosato ? I suppose bordeless window is not working properly with this game right ?

Levyne

Banned
guys someone have the right settings to get to work castlevania lord of shadow 2 downsampling with gedosato ? I suppose bordeless window is not working properly with this game right ?

I dunno about gedosato, but that game even handled custom resolutions weirdly. Had to set desktop to that resolution before launching. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it might indicate that the game just works differently in some way. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

luca_29_bg

I dunno about gedosato, but that game even handled custom resolutions weirdly. Had to set desktop to that resolution before launching. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it might indicate that the game just works differently in some way. Hopefully someone with more knowledge can chime in.

i know this, i can use amd old dowsampling method but it's limited to 2720x1530, and i would like to use gedosato for more downsampling res, but seems it have some problem this game, i can't understand if downsampling with gedosato works or not. In internet you can find shots from this game heavily downsampled with gedosato so something should works....

BONKERS

Someone had it working at one point. It's a tricky game.

Honestly, the best AA&IQ you are going to get without trying to get GeDoSaTo to work is if you use DSR+SGSSAA if you can afford the performance.

luca_29_bg

Someone had it working at one point. It's a tricky game.

Honestly, the best AA&IQ you are going to get without trying to get GeDoSaTo to work is if you use DSR+SGSSAA if you can afford the performance.

i have 7950 so no DSR for me...for now at least! :(

Yudoken

I have a question and maybe someone could help me.
First at all downsampling with Nvidias driver settings (DSR) doesn't really work for USFIV.
I can switch the resolution above 1080p but the game still runs in 1080p.
That's something what Total Biscuit said in one of his Salebox videos and I can confirm that problem.
I started Gedosato, installed it correctly, followed a little guide but hte program is pretty much self explaining but somehow I couldn't get Gedosato to apply the settings (like higher resolutions to use in the options) for manually added games.
Of course I added a profile (there was non for SSFIV) and added this to it (pastebin.com/gZ288eg5) to it for SSFIV.
After that I've added the game to the user whitelist (and just for testing to the Gedosato whitelist but it had the same result) but it does not do something.
I tried out the same thing on Driftstage (a game demo, recently on kickstarter) but it also doesn't work too.
After trying out games already in the list (Alan Wake) I've found out that it worked with this game but I don't know know what to change or fix of my manually added games.
I would be really glad if you could help me out with this!
I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I probably did a small mistake but I really don't know what it is.

Here are a few screenshots.
imgur.com/a/SpG7p

One3rd

There used to be a guide for this on DET but that seems to have gone AWAL. I think you may just need to change the reslution settings in the game ini file to what you want to downsample to in GeDoSaTo. I had this working at one point with the below settings but I haven't had a chance to try this again to confirm this is all that is required. Copied from the post on DET.

I had it working at some point, this is what I had in my CLOS2\GeDoSaTo.ini. Might be in the default settings like this though, just pasting here to preserve. Did it only work with the specified resolution if you set this in a the games ini file as well?

Code:
# This is a profile file for CLOS2

renderResolution 5760x3240@60
presentWidth 5760
presentHeight 3240

forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
forcePresentRes true

# HUD removal - Works until City of the Dead
injectPSHash 3de11d46

# HUD removal - Works from City of the Dead
#injectPSHash aa219b4c
#injectDelayAfterDraw true

Edit: Looks like I modified the ini file with those same resolutions settings above as well. It can be found in \Documents\MercurySteam\Castlevania Lords of Shadow 2\[some number]\game.cfg, set the following lines.
Code:
FullScreen                     = 0 
VideoWidth                     = 5760                            
VideoHeight                    = 3240

Edit: It's just come to my attention that you will need to use SRWE to resize the window to your desktop. This works but it would only be for screenshooting purposes, the resulting image quality is not really advisable if you are just wanting to play the game. Sorry, I may have jumped the gun on that.

Hylian7

I'm trying to do this with Dota 2, but I have two issues.

1. When playing downsampled, since I have 3 monitors, the cursor goes off the edge of the screen on the right only, but not the left.

2. If I alt tab, then tab back in, the left and right camera edge panning is reversed, moving to the right side of the screen goes to the left, and vice versa. The cursor also leaves the Dota windows in both sides now.

Any ideas of how to fix this? I have the default Dota 2 profile activated.

Darksiders 2 just gave me this:

"Failed taking screenshot! (STBI)

Update: I think it was caused by using a GDST resolution while using ReShade.

BONKERS

i have 7950 so no DSR for me...for now at least! :(

As well you have VSR don't you?

I have a question and maybe someone could help me.
First at all downsampling with Nvidias driver settings (DSR) doesn't really work for USFIV.
I can switch the resolution above 1080p but the game still runs in 1080p.
That's something what Total Biscuit said in one of his Salebox videos and I can confirm that problem.
I started Gedosato, installed it correctly, followed a little guide but hte program is pretty much self explaining but somehow I couldn't get Gedosato to apply the settings (like higher resolutions to use in the options) for manually added games.
Of course I added a profile (there was non for SSFIV) and added this to it (pastebin.com/gZ288eg5) to it for SSFIV.
After that I've added the game to the user whitelist (and just for testing to the Gedosato whitelist but it had the same result) but it does not do something.
I tried out the same thing on Driftstage (a game demo, recently on kickstarter) but it also doesn't work too.
After trying out games already in the list (Alan Wake) I've found out that it worked with this game but I don't know know what to change or fix of my manually added games.
I would be really glad if you could help me out with this!
I really don't know what I'm doing wrong.
I probably did a small mistake but I really don't know what it is.

Here are a few screenshots.
imgur.com/a/SpG7p

This is a problem with SFIV in general. Every version is like this. IIRC there is a work around I think, dont' remember where.

The in game MSAA isn't too bad, and if you have an Nvidia card you can force other forms of AA that work just fine.

One3rd

Darksiders 2 just gave me this:

"Failed taking screenshot! (STBI)

Update: I think it was caused by using a GDST resolution while using ReShade.

I've seen that error before as well when taking large MP images in some games. Try changing the maxScreenshotParallelism value to something other than the default of 4 and see if that makes any difference.

Not sure if this will work, in my instance it just gave me different error, but it's worth a shot.

Yudoken

This is a problem with SFIV in general. Every version is like this. IIRC there is a work around I think, dont' remember where.

The in game MSAA isn't too bad, and if you have an Nvidia card you can force other forms of AA that work just fine.

I've got a tip to this.
http://zupimages.net/up/14/11/jtxh.jpg
Is there anything I should change?
My card is pretty strong so maybe I could up the settings a little but I really don't know what I should change.

BONKERS

I've got a tip to this.
http://zupimages.net/up/14/11/jtxh.jpg
Is there anything I should change?
My card is pretty strong so maybe I could up the settings a little but I really don't know what I should change.

I would change it to match what I have here http://i5.minus.com/iAEYL3LU7Xs6O.png (You should set 16xAF on globally too. This way it will always override many game's built in AF and any game without will get it, Nvidia is slightly higher quality)
I would leave LoD to driver controlled, there is very little smoothing/blur when forced this way.
As you can see with the comparison I made when originally testing (With Auto LoD on)http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/83038

If that's still a bit too much for you, set it to -1.25 instead and not -1.5

Just remember to keep the in game AA disabled.

At 1080p you should be more than good enough until downsampling ever works someday.

Rigbaby

Neo Member
I would change it to match what I have here http://i5.minus.com/iAEYL3LU7Xs6O.png (You should set 16xAF on globally too. This way it will always override many game's built in AF and any game without will get it, Nvidia is slightly higher quality)
I would leave LoD to driver controlled, there is very little smoothing/blur when forced this way.
As you can see with the comparison I made when originally testing (With Auto LoD on)http://screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/83038

If that's still a bit too much for you, set it to -1.25 instead and not -1.5

Just remember to keep the in game AA disabled.

At 1080p you should be more than good enough until downsampling ever works someday.

Strangest thing, after the update to Ultra it seems I am no longer able to use the official flag or profile in the Nvidia Inspector for SGSSAA. Forced AA is still working through the SFXT flag and a profile swap with SFXT, it cleans up the jaggies rather nicely (huge performance impact though).

BONKERS

Well for starters, there isn't any official flags for the game other than Ambient Occlusion (Which ironically doesn't even work with SFIV vanilla)

I don't own ultra, but someone mentioned that 12C1 was working just fine with SSFIV:AE

I would try using 0x004012C1 instead just for good measure.

luca_29_bg

nope, no vsr for 7000 series!

Unai

Has anyone managed to get Resident Evil remaster working?

I've used this settings:

clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 2560x1440@120
forceRenderRes true

But the game is only rendered in the top left corner of the screen.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Guys, is GeDoSaTo safe to use in Dota2?
Will I get VAC banned?

Others have used it in the past, but it is always a risk. It's up to you to decide whether it's a worthwhile risk for you. If you just want it for downsampling in Dota2, you'd probably be safer using DSR if you're on green team, or VSR if you're repping red.

[Asmodean]

Don't suppose anyone has had any luck, successfully getting a PS hash for The Witcher 1?. I've not been able to get it working, myself.

No matter what time during the frame/ or hash I try, it still outputs over hud & menus etc. Just wondering, if anyone else has tried for this particular game?

BONKERS

Has anyone managed to get Resident Evil remaster working?

I've used this settings:

But the game is only rendered in the top left corner of the screen.

You can edit the config file to change resolution. But even then, anything beyond 1080p doesn't seem to actually work properly.

Lime

Does anyone else experience the hotkeys being unresponsive in some games? Especially in Resident Evil 6, it seems really unresponsive.

Moonstone

Hey Durante, this might be a stupid question, as I'm no expert on computer graphics.
I've always wondered why console games don't support a vsync 50hz/fps mode.
Most if not all modern TVs support 50hz. I think there are models with a true 48hz mode too.

Advantage would be that you can run a game in vsynced 50fps without tearing allowing you to max other settings.

Would it be possible to add such an option? I know that enthusiasts prefer even higher framerates than 60fps and it wouldn't work if you use a pc monitor as they usually support only 59/60hz, but as an option this would be really cool, I think.

Moonstone

I have my doubts that this is true outside of Europe and other PAL territories. There is no real reason to support it in the US, for instance, and said support would increase the complexity of the display.

Aren't the panels all the same? Might be a firmware issue.

There is also a true 48hz mode, I think. Might be the reason why console manufacturers don't support this option as there are older TVs. But as an addional option, I'd prefer 50hz mode in a console game like TR that runs "mostly in 60FPs".

Does Gedosato only work with games in the compatible list?

Im trying to get it working on Space Engine but its not injecting, all im doing is opening Gedosato before opening the game though.

Is there any way to get it to work with other games? Copying D3D9.dll or something?

edit: Nevermind for Space Engine, seems that it runs on OpenGL, im still wondering about my original question for other games though.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does Gedosato only work with games in the compatible list?

Im trying to get it working on Space Engine but its not injecting, all im doing is opening Gedosato before opening the game though.

Is there any way to get it to work with other games? Copying D3D9.dll or something?

edit: Nevermind for Space Engine, seems that it runs on OpenGL, im still wondering about my original question for other games though.

It works with much more than just the compability list, but it only currently works with DX9 games.

In order to get a game to work, you must add it's executable's name to the whitelist.

Example: You have a program named "bestgame.exe". To your User Whitelist you would add "bestgame" and then GeDoSato will attempt to hook into the game when it launches.

It works with much more than just the compability list, but it only currently works with DX9 games.

In order to get a game to work, you must add it's executable's name to the whitelist.

Example: You have a program named "bestgame.exe". To your User Whitelist you would add "bestgame" and then GeDoSato will attempt to hook into the game when it launches.

Ah, I see. So I can add a game to the whitelist manually.
I'll give it another go later.

Thank you, cant wait to try it.

belmonkey

Without GeDoSato, is there any way to get a game to run at a higher resolution than it will let you select in-game? Or perhaps to at least prevent the game from zooming in at resolutions higher than native?

The downsampling by manually adding the game .exe works, but the mouse cursor position is way off.
I've tried adding mouse cursor fix from other game configs, but it's still not working.
The game is Venetica, by the way.

S0N0S

Anyone else experiencing issues with GeDoSaTo on latest version of Dark Souls 2? I can't seem to get bloom or SSAO to work.

Jumpman

Anyone else experiencing issues with GeDoSaTo on latest version of Dark Souls 2? I can't seem to get bloom or SSAO to work.

I don't know if it's the case for you but the patch made it so I had to redo all my DSII settings including button bindings etc.

Parsnip

I didn't seem to have any issues after the Dark Souls 2 patch.
Granted, I didn't play a ton, but I'm fairly certain both bloom and SSAO worked for me.

Sanctuary

I've been replaying Dark Souls 2 with this activated for the last few days, and so far everything just looks better (if really damn dark sometimes) due to the postprocessing, although I am running into an issue when using bonfires. Each time I warp, a black box appears, which covers the upper left quadrant entirely as though it's a resizing issue.

I've been replaying Dark Souls 2 with this activated for the last few days, and so far everything just looks better (if really damn dark sometimes) due to the postprocessing, although I am running into an issue when using bonfires. Each time I warp, a black box appears, which covers the upper left quadrant entirely as though it's a resizing issue.

I've been having this issue since October.

Top Bottom