• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

What graphics card do you have? If you have anything semi-new in either nvidia or AMD you can do driver based down sampling.

For nvidia open "nvidia control panel" > manage 3d settings > DSR factors and enable all the options you want > DSR - smoothness around 20%

Then in game pick the resolution you want.

At the time I made that post, I wanted to go HIGHER than 2x2 native res. Since then, I've created some pretty monstrous custom resolutions that puts DSR to fucking shaaaaame. I really don't need GeDoSaTo for downsampling anymore (but it's still quite handy in some games for the HUD toggle and forcing borderless window downsampling).

dO0D6Q9.png

One3rd

^ Thanks for this Jim. Your success prompted me to take another stab at setting some custom resolutions again.

I've been able to get 23MP resolutions (eg. 6400x3600) with automatic timings by bringing the frequency down to 25Hz. At that resolution I wouldn't be getting anywhere near 25FPS anyway. Definitely happy with this for those stubborn games where none of the other solutions work.

Lime

How do you guys (jimpoint2o and one3rd) make those custom resolutions possible? What's the method? What's the step by step guide?

How do you guys (jimpoint2o and one3rd) make those custom resolutions possible? What's the method? What's the step by step guide?

One3rd is very lucky to get auto timings to work. For me, it was a ton of trial and error.

For nvidia cards, you set up custom resolutions (for downsampling) in the nvidia control panel.

1. Open Nvidia control panel
2. Click "Change resolution"
3. Click the "Customize..." button
4. Click "Create Custom Resolution"

Back when I first got this monitor, I didn't have any luck with auto timings at all. I had to drop my refresh rate to 55hz just to get 4K to work. I had to drop it to 30 to get 5120x2880 (and higher) to work. But this stuff is all depending on your monitor, cable, and GPU (I suspect maxwell cards are more flexible).

The first thing I did was find out how low I can set my total vertical pixels and still get a resolution to save. Then I do the same for horizontal in order to get a low pixel clock. The type of cable you're using will determine your max pixel clock.

Single DVI = 165Mhz max.
Dual DVI = 330Mhz max.

Refresh rate and total pixels will increase the clock.

Front porch and sync width are also important settings. I have to change the vertical for both of those (leaving horizontal at default). Don't ask me how I arrived at those settings. That was in 2013...

These are my settings for 7680x4320.

Lime

Thanks for the detailed explanation, jim2point0. I'm on AMD, so unfamiliar with how this work on Nvidia. I'm going green though soon, because my 290 is too way disappointing in power usage and heat levels. I got it really cheap last year ($290), so I'm not losing anything by selling it used and switching to Nvidia's 970 or 980 series.

Is there any difference between DSR and custom resolutions if you're running the same resolution? And what is the best "smoothness" level if you're going DSR?

[Asmodean]

The only issue I have with your post processing is that, like all post processing, it can increase banding. But there's no way to deal with that banding.

I don't know what the hell I'm doing, but is it possible for you to add some kind of dither shader?

They shouldn't be causing any banding (with the exception of the cel shader, given the nature of it). Could you post your settings and maybe a screen?. While testing, I keep an eye out for that, and clipping. So, if it's happening I'd like to fix it.

I can add a dither effect, if you want the placebo, like sfx. Dithering in external post-processing only dithers the external effects. It does nothing to help banding with the actual game, or your hw/display. Which are 99.9% of the culprit usually.

Most just turn it on and enjoy the idea of less banding ;p

But, saying that - I can add whatever effects. I just don't add loads of random redundant effects to it, for no reason. If you think some dithering will help, It's not a problem to add it.

[Asmodean];154278608 said:
I can add a dither effect, if you want the placebo, like sfx. Dithering in external post-processing only dithers the external effects. It does nothing to help banding with the actual game, or your hw/display. Which are 99.9% of the culprit usually.

I'm aware of that, but it's not a placebo. Turning on post processing, I can see more banding. Usually the case when there's banding present in the game already and you start messing with brightness, contrast, etc. Especially in skyboxes (always the worst). And I've compared results with SweetFX dithering on and off to make sure it's dealing with the banding that its own shaders create.

That's really all I want. Nothing can deal with banding in the source material except for grain.

[Asmodean]

I'm aware of that, but it's not a placebo. Turning on post processing, I can see more banding. Usually the case when there's banding present in the game already and you start messing with brightness, contrast, etc. Especially in skyboxes (always the worst). And I've compared results with SweetFX dithering on and off to make sure it's dealing with the banding that its own shaders create.

That's really all I want. Nothing can deal with banding in the source material except for grain.

I didn't mean the banding was a placebo btw, was talking about the dithering. I'd forgotten about the contrast effect, I don't use it myself, unless I'm testing. So I didn't think of it. The contrast effect in itself, would make banding worse. I'd really hope the other effects don't though.

Anyway, I'm not home for a few days, but when I am I'll get some dithering done for the final output stage that can be enabled.

Am I missing something about getting this to actually start with my computer? It doesn't seem to want to, even adding it as an Autorun.

Lime

Am I missing something about getting this to actually start with my computer? It doesn't seem to want to, even adding it as an Autorun.

Are you using the whitelist?
Have you configured the setting properly?
Are you running DX9 games?

If it works, then the resolution options should be in your game.

[Asmodean]

I'm sure he meant, getting it to run automatically on os startup.

Have you checked that it's in fact been added to the startup items?. You can check via msconfig, or ccleaner if you use it.

Otherwise, I couldn't tell you. I haven't even tried it, myself.

Dragonball Xenoverse looks pretty amazing at 4K downsampled (and runs really well), but gameplay is totally fucked up due to the confusion of where the cursor is, which controls the camera. It's constantly spinning around.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Dragonball Xenoverse looks pretty amazing at 4K downsampled (and runs really well), but gameplay is totally fucked up due to the confusion of where the cursor is, which controls the camera. It's constantly spinning around.

Did you mess with any of the mouse settings in GeDo?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Did you mess with any of the mouse settings in GeDo?

I see the same thing trying to downsample back down to 1080p, I didn't mess with any of the mouse stuff. Anything higher than 3200x1800 will cause the camera the rotate for me. The higher the resolution, the faster the camera will spin.

There's a thread over on Steam from someone else seeing the same thing:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/323470/discussions/0/617329150700270833/

Occurs to me with windowless full-screen enabled as well despite that thread suggesting it may work if you enable it.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I see the same thing trying to downsample back down to 1080p, I didn't mess with any of the mouse stuff. Anything higher than 3200x1800 will cause the camera the rotate for me. The higher the resolution, the faster the camera will spin.

There's a thread over on Steam from someone else seeing the same thing:

https://steamcommunity.com/app/323470/discussions/0/617329150700270833/

Occurs to me with windowless full-screen enabled as well despite that thread suggesting it may work if you enable it.

Mouse settings could possibly help. just turn them on and see if anything causes a change.

It's only six settings so it shouldn't take too long to find one that fixes it, if one will

[Asmodean];154534051 said:
I'm sure he meant, getting it to run automatically on os startup.

Have you checked that it's in fact been added to the startup items?. You can check via msconfig, or ccleaner if you use it.

Otherwise, I couldn't tell you. I haven't even tried it, myself.

Yeah, it's there in msconfig, and I have the box checked in the UI. So confused!

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah, it's there in msconfig, and I have the box checked in the UI. So confused!

Do you have it set to run as Admin for some reason? I don't think you can have an application auto-startup when its set like that, I've seen that with Steam for example.

mdzapeer

Does this work with older games like Homeworld classic, the game is a pain to look at and the menus are so small if you increase the resolution. Must be someway to increase the 3D redering resolution but keep the 2D elements at a lower resolution?

Lime

Does this work with older games like Homeworld classic, the game is a pain to look at and the menus are so small if you increase the resolution. Must be someway to increase the 3D redering resolution but keep the 2D elements at a lower resolution?

Homeworld Classic is OpenGL or Direct3D. It isnt directx9.

[Asmodean]

Updated the post_asmodean shader to 1.7. You can view the main changes here. You can grab it here, for the moment.

Also, as per request. I added sub-pixel dithering to the latest version. Both sw, and hw based dithering. Two types of sw to choose. Ordered grid-based, and Random time-based.

Philtastic

Mouse settings could possibly help. just turn them on and see if anything causes a change.

It's only six settings so it shouldn't take too long to find one that fixes it, if one will

I've got XenoVerse running without any GeDoSaTo custom or compatibility settings at 3840x2160. I get the mouse turning at 4096x2304 which is two-times my native resolution of 2048x1152 so that might have something to do with it: try one standard resolution below 2x your native.

My video card is a 280X and I'm running it downsampled at 50-60 fps with 16x AF and it looks pretty good. Here's 2 screenshots and a video of it! I should note that in the video I seem to be averaging 40'ish fps but that's mostly because recording with MSI Afterburner shaves off 15-20 fps (AMD Gaming Evolved doesn't work with XenoVerse, and I'm finding that other video recorders have problems interacting with GeDoSaTo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFa_-m-PI-o

[Asmodean]

I've had some extra time to work on my post-processing suite for GeDoSaTo. I've reworked, and rewrote quite a lot of it(especially the color processing logic), and seperated effects that I had embedded in others. I've added some new effects also, expanded the options, and improved their descriptions.

A list of the current effects;

• Blended Bloom (6 different bloom types)
  • HDR Scene Tone Mapping (4 different tonemap types)
  • Gamma Correction Curve
  • Cross Processing (3 conversion types)
  • Color Correction (5 colorspace types)
  • Pixel Vibrance
  • Texture Unsharp Mask
  • Contrast Enhancement
  • Px Cel Shading
  • Paint Shading
  • Sub-pixel Dithering

There's a plethora of options for them. For complete customization.

I'm looking for people who would like to test it. I've not uploaded it to github yet. Open it up, and check out the effects, and settings. Play around with it and let me know how you get on.

Feedback is appreciated. Enjoy =)

#Edit: Updated link. See post 3551 for details.

Link: GSFx 2.0b

[Asmodean]

I noticed a mistake that I made with the color correction logic. I was using my pre-correction colorspace mask for each palette, instead of only the initial phase. So the color correction of that preview version had incorrect reproduction(looked wrong). I've corrected the mistake, and it's working as intended now.

I've updated the link @post3549

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Just as a heads up, it's not something that I'm actively going out of my way to find the perfect game to test it with, but the next time I'm using GeDoSaTo to play a game, I'm absolutely checking out your post processing. I don't have anything right now that I'm playing that it's really relevant too unfortunately. But I am looking forward to seeing it in practice

[Asmodean]

Yeah, I've been working on the Gedo effects because the two games I'm playing/replaying atm, are DA:O and The Witcher 2 (both d3d9). I say playing, but all I've been doing is working on the bloody shaders for them lol.

I'll probably get around to doing effects for reshade, when it matures a bit, and when I'm playing games with it, or what not. I've gotten picky though, and would prefer reshade to have the functionality of outputting post effects before menus ;p

let me know how you get on, whenever you try it. Be sure to experiment with the options.

Elsolar

Hey I've just started using this tool yesterday and it's amazing! I just wanted to share something I've found trying to get Diablo 3 to work properly with it. Using the latest version, it works fine out of the box, but getting borderless windowed mode to work is a little trickier. If you just set the in-game settings to borderless window, the super-sampling stops working (it doesn't complain or crash, it just disregards your settings and runs at your desktop resolution). Using forceBorderlessFullscreen causes the super-sampling to work properly but completely screws up mouse input. I was able to get it working flawlessly, however, with the following three lines in my Diablo III\GeDoSaTo_user.ini:

forceBorderlessFullscreen true
modifyGetClientRect false
modifyGetCursorPos false

On a related note, are there any plans to add conditional definitions to DeGeSaTo? To elaborate, I could see the whole user experience being a lot more intuitive if there was something along these lines in the base Diablo III\GeDoSaTo.ini file:

#ifdef forceBorderlessFullscreen
modifyGetClientRect false
modifyGetCursorPos false
#else
modifyGetClientRect true
modifyGetCursorPos true
#endif

Or something similar, the syntax wouldn't need to mirror C. But I think if the program was intelligent enough to set certain parameters based on the state of other parameters, it would be easier to use and could help bring the joy of downsampling to less tech-savy gamers.

neoism

man what the hell.. I haven't played DS2 in a while and started up after updating GeDoSaTo on version 0.16.1759 and now none of my texture modz work :( I haven't changed anything else :*(

ok fuck yes for some reason updating it made the ini file go back to default and textureoverride was set to false lol... but one other thing that itsnt that biga deal... when ever I warp or the game loads I get a black border thing on the screen but it does go away never seen this before...???
inGqm4USNN6Xs.png

its just when loading in and out but never seen it before ???

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
man what the hell.. I haven't played DS2 in a while and started up after updating GeDoSaTo on version 0.16.1759 and now none of my texture modz work :( I haven't changed anything else :*(

My guess: The update overwrote your Dark Souls II GeDoSaTo.ini file because your settings weren't in a GeDoSaTo_User.ini file, meaning you don't have Override textures enabled anymore. I'd double check that and see how it goes.

[Asmodean];155598469 said:
Yeah, I've been working on the Gedo effects because the two games I'm playing/replaying atm, are DA:O and The Witcher 2 (both d3d9). I say playing, but all I've been doing is working on the bloody shaders for them lol.

I'll probably get around to doing effects for reshade, when it matures a bit, and when I'm playing games with it, or what not. I've gotten picky though, and would prefer reshade to have the functionality of outputting post effects before menus ;p

let me know how you get on, whenever you try it. Be sure to experiment with the options.

Definitely will.

T.O.P

Banned
Can't seem to get Gedosato to work with DMC, the game crashed as soon as i activate it or it just won't start at all :/

CeeJay.dk

Neo Member
[Asmodean];154281482 said:
I didn't mean the banding was a placebo btw, was talking about the dithering. I'd forgotten about the contrast effect, I don't use it myself, unless I'm testing. So I didn't think of it. The contrast effect in itself, would make banding worse. I'd really hope the other effects don't though.

Anyway, I'm not home for a few days, but when I am I'll get some dithering done for the final output stage that can be enabled.

The dithering is not placebo, but as with all dithering it only works when you dither from a higher bit depth to a lower.

Thus it's currently only useful to prevent the color grading shaders and the vignette shader from creating additional banding - this however it's very effective for.

My new filmgrain shader can also be used to dither, and if you use strong enough settings it can also help hide the banding in the original game image but it cannot remove it.

To do that you would have to either smoothen the image with maybe a good bilateral filter or an anisotropic smoothing filter, and only smoothen the weak details so you don't touch the stronger details because those aren't banding.
Then you can dither the result to do debanding.

For reshade we are also hoping that it will be possible to force the games to render in R10G10B10A2 or R11G11B10, from which we can then dither to 8 , 7 or 6 bit depending on what kind of monitor the user has.

Technically we can still with the current shader dither from the games 8 bit to 7 or 6 bit, because TN monitors display in 6bit, but those monitors also have their own dithering so dithering to 6bit is usually only best for crappy 6bit monitors .. more decent TN panel monitors will look best with a dither for 7 or 8 bit.
Also 1 additional bit in my experience is not enough to make banding go away, it only lessens it - you need a least 2 bit extra to get a nice dither.

Dithering in SweetFX is now also done in the Ascii shader where it helps a lot , though I've found that I need to retune it for the ascii effect. The current dithering I'm using there works fairly well but I think I can do better. Right now though I'm busy with other stuff though.

One3rd

My new filmgrain shader can also be used to dither, and if you use strong enough settings it can also help hide the banding in the original game image but it cannot remove it.

To do that you would have to either smoothen the image with maybe a good bilateral filter or an anisotropic smoothing filter, and only smoothen the weak details so you don't touch the stronger details because those aren't banding.
Then you can dither the result to do debanding.
Your mention of the new filmgrain shader reminded me of an artefact issue I've been seeing while using this in SweetFX: v2.0 Preview 7. I've been trying to knock down the banding in Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor with the use of film grain and for the most part it works extremely well, especially when coupled with large downsampling.

I have noticed this strange diagonal line artefact that crops up in some shots but not all. Any idea what might be causing this? I am switching between different resolutions and aspect ratios regularly though, would this be the cause?

Example crops from 3600x4800 images. With, and without, grain applied.

Top Bottom