• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

Hi Durante, everything works perfect on GeDoSaTo for me, many thanks! except downsampling..., but this maybe game related.

In the first hour I had problems setting full screen resolutions. Didn't want to change to 1920x1080 fullscreen until I restarted the game and finally worked.

Now I'm trying to downsample and the game doesn't want to apply 3840x2160 (new resolution appears in menu as I enable GeDoSaTo) at full screen restarting the game or even editing GraphicsConfig.xml from \AppData\Roaming\DarkSoulsII\ , it keeps to come back to 1080p windowed.

1920x1080 80hz @displayport, AMD 7870XT, 13.12 drivers. I tried to enable gpu scaling as mentioned here but didn't work. http://steamcommunity.com/app/236430/discussions/0/558754259683457381/

Edit: Tried Downsampling with GeDoSaTo in War Thunder and worked flawlessly :)

nbthedude

Thanks for the excellent work, Durante. I was literally just complaining about what a hassle downsampling was for most games (even with Nvidia) and saying how easy DSfix made it.

Donated to show my support. I hope others do too.

Btw, I can confirm HDMI output to TV is NOT a bug for all nVidia cards. I'm using a 780 and pipe the signal across two rooms to a 50" plasma via HDMI while leaving my monitor on DVI without a problem while using Gedosato.

I do hope someone eventually finds a way to use it with steam overlay though. Even if it has to be a modified shell (has anyone experimented with Gedksato using any of those?). Not being able to screen shot or text chat with friends is kinda a bummer. Still awesome work, especially for a "day one" beta.

Seems to work on Mass Effect 2, though breaks the mouse in game sadly, and of course PC version doesn't support controller. Still great!

iq1ZGHF3uRlI6.jpg

1920x1080

icxUIIBaCmZfC.jpg

3840x2160
The effect is very subtle, but it eliminated all the jaggies!

Grunt looks glorious in 4K

Seems to work on Mass Effect 2, though breaks the mouse in game sadly, and of course PC version doesn't support controller. Still great!

The effect is very subtle, but it eliminated all the jaggies!

Grunt looks glorious in 4K

Hmn, weird, is it me or do the textures on Tali's hood look slightly blurrier in the downsampled pic?

I haven't tried it, but you should be able to use GeDoSaTo to run the game at higher refresh rates in fullscreen. (Of course, you will also need to enable double Vsync).

Nope!

I'm using these settings and the game will display without changing resolution at all for DSII, which lets you go lightboosted.

Just Read the FAQ. Gonna explain anyway.

Guys, I'm sorry, but lighboost still isn't working

1) Durante, I don't know how to do what you described. I don't see a setting for double vsync

2) I'm having more problems. I'm not Downsampling in DS2 for some reason. All of my other settings work. I checked with the + key. Because I can't downsample, that could also mean my refresh rate setting might also not be functioning correctly.

I have tested GeDoSaTo with Sonic Unleashed. Lightboost & Downsampling function correctly.

I'm going to try testing Metal Gear Solid: Rising, another game I had a lightboost problem with.

EDIT: No Dice

Also, probably unrelated, but the High texture setting in DS2 causes my game to crash during the loading screen. Gonna redownload in when I wake up.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Huh, when I turn on bicubic downsampling it looks blurrier than bilinear.

From what res are you downsampling?

1) Durante, I don't know how to do what you described. I don't see a setting for double vsync

2) I'm having more problems. I'm not Downsampling in DS2 for some reason. All of my other settings work. I checked with the + key. Because I can't downsample, that could also mean my refresh rate setting might also not be functioning correctly.

I have tested GeDoSaTo with Sonic Unleashed. Lightboost & Downsampling function correctly.

I'm going to try testing Metal Gear Solid: Rising, another game I had a lightboost problem with.

Also, probably unrelated, but the High texture setting in DS2 causes my game to crash during the loading screen. Gonna redownload in when I wake up.

I'll look into this more and see if there's anything perculiar on my end.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist

EDIT: No Dice

I'm sorry dude, I don't know what to tell you.

GeDoSaTo, downsampling, and you can see the light indicator showing that LightBoost is enabled. Also, when launching into the game, the screen didn't change resolutions. I could post my whole GeDoSaTo.ini file if you'd like?

Edit: I put my GeDoSato.ini on PasteBin. Feel free to try it and see if that works out for you.

2560x1440 to 1920x1080.

When I hit the bicubic hotkey it looks like a light layer of FXAA is applied to the whole image.

That's just the way that Bicubic resizes. A small size difference like that might not be the best use case for it. It's usually preferable to Bilinear because Bilinear isn't the best at actually clearing out the aliasing in the image and likes to keep things sharp, but sometimes a bit too sharp.

Hopefully in the future there will be more options, like Lanzos 2 and 3 if that's feasible.

Autofokus

Any chance for a less demanding bokeh integration? The in-game one looks really bad and the other just destroys my performance. :/

So theoretically if this effects and DX9 game could you downsample DayZ and ARMA?

Some of the texture detail in Standalone specifically is crazy and being able to downsample it to hell could make for some gorgeous screens

jediyoshi

So theoretically if this effects and DX9 game could you downsample DayZ and ARMA?

Some of the texture detail in Standalone specifically is crazy and being able to downsample it to hell could make for some gorgeous screens

DayZ essentially has downsampling built in with the rendering resolution option, although it only goes up to its predefined resolutions

4KveY46.png

*Huge smile on my face*
It's friday and this... omg...

EDIT :
[DX11] can be supported (and that is the plan), but it basically doubles the work. It's an entirely separate code path.

I know we already talked about that but I got the DX11 hooking code path available and ready here, if you want. It doesn't support CreateDXGIFactory2 though but the compatibility in a lot of games is really good

Wanny

It's probably has been said, but Boris released a ENB version of Dark Souls 2. I'm very curious what it does now!

And it's based on Skyrim's one (Fallouts, Stalker).

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Neat. I assume this doesn't suffer from the same artifacting that you get when downsampling by creating custom resolutions within the nVidia control panel? I'm curious to try it.

Kaleinc

Banned
No GPU idling from now on :)
But yeah GeDoSaTo sounds weird. How about DragonScale ©, it has scaling and huge resolutions = dragons.

TheTrain

If I take a screen through Fraps, it is downsampled, 1920x1080 downsampled, or it take the screen before the Gedosato downsample process, 1920x1080 no downsampled?

so I got it to work, but it seems to cut my FPS in Dark Souls at 30. any solution to this?

Well it is going to ask a lot more of your PC. If you have VSync on you might no be hitting 60 and it will be limited to 30.

Can't seem to get this tool working with me though, trying DOTA 2 but black screen when I select the resolution.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
dark1mtrj6.png

dark2r6ox2.png

Not bad at all, Durante. Not bad at all.

Dr Dogg

Just a quick question. Does GeDoSaTo only support 1 custom resolution at a time for the moment? I've loaded it up with what I normally use and 4x and 8x variants as well but it only ever shows the bottom most values in game.

Not bad at all, Durante. Not bad at all.

She looks surprisingly cheerful for a Soul's game.

And massively OT I've just worked out what your new tag means. Been scratching my head for days.

Tried with Sonic Generations with some mods of mine that I had from porting the Unleashed Levels. Since you know we all want Unleashed on PC since it is beautiful.

Full Size

Edit : This is amazing though, I really love that this thing even exists.

My god these look incredible, it really shows how Sonic Generations can shine, well done! :D And out of curiosity, other than the Unleashed mod, are the other notable mods around?

KHlover

Banned
When I try to use GeDoSaTo with Audiosurf I get this monstrosity:

Had to take this screen with my smartphone since the screenshot I took looks perfectly normal (4k res, 1080p monitor). What could cause this?

Gbraga

I only want to use this for the PS4 buttons, so I put # in front of everything except for textureoverride, am I doing it right?

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Fallout New Vegas (and therefore Fallout 3, Oblivion and Skyrim I'd guess) lets me apply the resolution from the launcher, but when I launch it it gives me this error "Failed to initialize renderer. Your display doesn't support the selected resolution".

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
8K Mass Effect 3.

massw1kps.png

EatChildren

Actually Eats on a more serious note does GeDoSaTo also scale up the UI on ME3 as well or does it stay the same size? Spent ages fiddling with UI values to be be able to read the dialog tree's at 4k so this would be awesome.

Nope :(. Not unless there's a setting I'm missing. UI is unreadably tiny.

Dennis

Banned
This talk of Mass Effect 3 is relevant to my interests?

I have still to finish it. So I take it GLADOS works with ME3?

Durante

Any chance for a less demanding bokeh integration? The in-game one looks really bad and the other just destroys my performance. :/
Yes. I really want to add an alternative DoF implementation which falls in between the in-game one and the current Bokeh quality and performance wise.

Huh, when I turn on bicubic downsampling it looks blurrier than bilinear.
Bicubic downsampling is higher quality, but it isn't designed for artificially sharpening. If you want that, just increase the sharpening factor in post.fx ;)

I will probably add other sampling kernels in the future.

(Do note that even the bilinear sampling is higher quality than what you get in the driver, especially if it's from >2x the size)

I know we already talked about that but I got the DX11 hooking code path available and ready here, if you want. It doesn't support CreateDXGIFactory2 though but the compatibility in a lot of games is really good
Yeah, I know, and that's very helpful, but there's still tons of work to get GeDoSaTo to work with DX11 games. For one, I would need to create an abstration for rendertargets, textures, shaders and effects which supports both APIs, and rewrite everything to use that abstraction (I wouldn't want e.g. effects or scaling to have divergent code paths for individual APIs, that would just be a mess).

Neat. I assume this doesn't suffer from the same artifacting that you get when downsampling by creating custom resolutions within the nVidia control panel? I'm curious to try it.
It does not. Your complaints about downsampling not looking like the screenshots people post are one reason I started this. What say you now? ;)

I'm getting some artifacts when downsampling from 2560x1440 to 1920x1080. :/
Those aren't from me, they are from forcing SGSSAA.

Edit: Actually hold that, the second is clearly from my AO. But in the exact same position I don't see it. AMD or NV?

EatChildren

This talk of Mass Effect 3 is relevant to my interests?

I have still to finish it. So I take it GLADOS works with ME3?

As long as modifyGetCursorPos true is set then yes, downsampling from up to at least 8K works perfectly. That shot was captures as a 144MB 8192x4608 bmp.

Downside is the hud and in-game UI. UE3 doesn't seem to scale UI/hud info with the pixel resolution, so the dialogue wheel for example is tiny and unreadable.

I had this same issue trying to play Remember Me, where I wanted to use the French audio localisation with subtitles, but even at 1080p the subtitles were far, far too small.

Dr Dogg

Nope :(. Not unless there's a setting I'm missing. UI is unreadably tiny.

Ah bugger it. Have no idea why Bioware changed that from 1 & 2 which had static UI that didn't scale with resolution changes. 3's is tiny to start with let alone downsampled.

I'll have a play around tonight when I get home as the UI values can be manual changed. Unlike Remember Me when you change on thing you break another.

Top Bottom