• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

seph1roth

Hi Durante, great fix! thx again for your effort!

But i have a little issue, as other buddies, i can't take screenshots, the divide/multiply key crashes the game.

Confusing, because this doesn't happen to other people.

Is anyone with a amd card able to do 4K resolutions or above? I tried using GeDoSaTo with Borderlands 1 setting it to 3840x2160 but it did not work, instead I set it to 2560x1440 and it worked.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Taking pictures using GeDoSato tool crashes the game on my end. Rest seems to work fine. Using MSI Afterburner work fine for taking screenshots.

bbd23

Is anyone with a amd card able to do 4K resolutions or above? I tried using GeDoSaTo with Borderlands 1 setting it to 3840x2160 but it did not work, instead I set it to 2560x1440 and it worked.

used 7870 to do 4k in darksouls 2

frames werent the best but it worked.

wickfut

Banned
Nice one Durante. Got everything maxed with some nVidia driver settings forced and it looks great, much better than I thought the DS2 port could look, so thank you.

How come you forced DOF off in the .ini settings? Looks much better with it on.

Is this using a modified SweetFX dll, ie, could I use Lumasharpen or bloom within the .ini?

Everything works fine for me until I try to alt-tab. When I try to tab back the game crashes, and then I can't load the game up without crashing until I delete the GeDoSaTo files and restore them again

HTupolev

LOL

yeah, you're right. not sure what's causing that..

rejjV5i.png
a8yLXII.png
My guess would be that the game blurs the sunray effect by a blur filter of an absolute width relative to the native sampling pixel grid. Since the native sample points were much more closely-spaced within the heavily-supersampled output image, the blur filter is much smaller relative to the actual scene. So the square edges of the planes don't blur very much.

Having a hard time getting this to activate. Installed the files, made sure AA was enabled in-game, ran the .exe, nothing. Windows + G doesn't seem to do anything, screenshots don't work.

Help?

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I think I want to wait for this to mature before jumping in. I don't want to change any way I run any game such as Steam overlay. The minute I have to accommodate a niche application is my cutoff.

I hope you make great strides and from the looks of it this looks like it's going to be very useful once you iron out the kinks.

This tool is already pretty amazing, well done. Just tested it in Dead Space 2 while I wait for the other DS2 to finish downloading. Being able to run Dead Space 2 at 7680 × 4320 (8K) so easily and maintain 30fps because the Dead Space games run so well was amazing. Really looking forward to trying it in Dark Souls 2 and excited to see what the future holds.

Does this work with 16:10 resolutions?
I'm running GeDoSaTo as an admin (Win7) but get the error: "Error: Could not register global hotkey." and I can't save screenshots.

When running Dark Souls 2 (AA enabled ingame) everything seems to work except downsampling. I've uploaded a logfile: http://pastebin.com/LRGn4N3K

Having a similar concern with downsampling; all the other effects work but when I hit + it says downsampling isn't on.

Want to see how my card does with it even though my IQ is shot to hell thanks to my TV forcing a TV 1080p instead of staying on PC 1080p.

Eyothrie

Is there a way to set Dark Souls 2 to automatically activate GeDoSaTo without having to manually run the exe before launching the game??

[Asmodean]

Here's an alternate post.fx suite, for anyone who wants it. I personally don't really like the sweetfx effects much myself, So I tend to just use my own stuff. At the moment it has: blended bloom, tone mapping, colour correction, gamma correction, bicubic texture sharpening, vibrance adjustment, contrast curve;

To install: just copy it into your 'Dark Souls II\Game' folder.

There's a few lazy comparison off/on shots in the 'comparison screens' folder as well.

Link

I also made a few updates to the vssao, but the ao for this has some z issues currently. So, I think I'll wait a bit before uploading it. To see if it can be sorted externally or not first.

Fireye

Tried playing around with GeDoSaTo and MechWarrior Online. It works, but the difference is pretty minimal, and is (unsurprisingly) pretty choppy. Will have to play around with the GeDoSaTo settings more tomorrow.

edit: Or, it turns out that I messed up the configuration, and it wasn't actually hooking into the game. D'oh.

Fireye

Something is amiss...

edit:

I see.

Yep. MWO crashes post-login after having rectified my mistake. Log output available here, if it's of any use. Continuing to poke around logs and configs to see if there's anything useful I can do.

Going fullscreen, instead of windowed fullscreen, results in the login working. It brings up the full-screen interface, and the standard connecting icon. I get a notification in the top-left corner of the screen saying that the downsampling is happening, but it crashes prior to displaying anything after that. So, minor improvement. LogLevel20 dump is available here (warning: 10mb zip, 100mb uncompressed).

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
hey, Durante

I know you're gonna have a million people bothering you over the next few days, but I was reading the PC gamer article about this and looking at the part where you were talking about your new tools.

If you had time, would you be willing to take a look at what happens when the sconces are lit in-game? This one sconce early in Forest of the Giants casts some nice shadows, similar to the ones cast by the torch itself, but every other one I've seen is just has flat boring lighting with no shadows being cast. Could you see what the game is doing differently?

I guess I'm hoping eventually somebody with skills would be able to intercept the library calls for the awful sconce lighting and replace them with calls for the good lighting. If that makes any sense.

HRose

Banned
Durante, can you try uncap the framerate in DS2 too? Because on my 6 years old PC I'm seeing similar issues to DS1:

At some times the FPS dip to 50, or even 45 or so. You stop and wait, they stay at 50. But if you look down at your feet (so the framerate goes up) and the then look up in the exact same direction where before you got 50 FPS or less, now it's back at perfect 60 and stays there without any dips.

So it seems there's something that dials back the FPS automatically even when the videocard could actually push a lot more.

In DS1 removing this sort of cap also gave MUCH better FPS as well. I'm thinking this is once again the case.

HRose

Banned
Bw, this program also has some issues.

FPS are not as good, despite I kept all settings disabled (I only wanted to try the texture replacer for the buttons).

And when you enable it there are issues with the "skybox". You can see in the village that weird lines appear and generally it looks much worse.

But even when it's actually disabled (no AA) i still doesn't give me the same performance as without.

lizardwizarding

Neo Member
Also getting geometric lines with drop shadows in the sky-box in the distance from Majula... Should both in-game SSAO and AO usage be enabled to get it working properly?

Game looks stunning otherwise, thank you Durante!

Wow, this is an awesome tool. I really like the pop ups that let you know what's on or off.

Edit: Well, just had my first bug. Alt+tab out of Dark Souls 2 worked fine but going back in gave me a black screen for a few seconds, then a white screen and a crash.

Durante, I have a request for a future update.

Can you force borderless windowed mode just like DSfix? Otherwise, lightboost users are stuck with running DS2 in a window due to the refresh rate cap.

Durante

For those who get crashes when taking screenshots: Are you not downsampling?

It's probably a monitor thing I guess.
Nah, that's not possible. Downsampling with GeDoSaTo is completely independent from display hardware.

Can you force borderless windowed mode just like DSfix? Otherwise, lightboost users are stuck with running DS2 in a window due to the refresh rate cap.
I haven't tried it, but you should be able to use GeDoSaTo to run the game at higher refresh rates in fullscreen. (Of course, you will also need to enable double Vsync).

Can someone explain how is this better than regular downsampling from Nvidia control panel?
- It supports arbitrary resolutions
- It supports arbitrary refresh rates
- It uses higher quality downsampling

Arulan

I'm having a slight problem. I have the rendered resolution set to 1440p downsampled to 1080p. However when I change the in-game resolution setting to 1440p after enabling GeDoSaTo and saving/exiting the game (Dark Souls II) it launches in windowed mode. Only by selecting 1080p again does it revert to fullscreen.

I managed to resolve this issue by changing the rendered resolution's refresh rate from 120hz to 60hz. I kept 120hz for the final "downsampled to" resolution.

Can GeDoSaTo perform alongside using 4x SGSSAA in NVInspector? It didn't seem to work when I tried. If if could, would you be able to turn off the post-processing AA completely and only use SGSSAA?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I did but it didn't work. I just copy and pasted yours and it worked with DmC, which wasn't working before. It still doesn't work with Dirt 3 tho but the spreadsheet says it works. But thanks!! your config made it work!

Viva Durante!!

If I'm remembering correctly, I'm the one who tested it with Dirt. The game needs to be in DX9 mode for it to work.

I bumped it up to 7K and took some more shots.

i1ioPPqU0o2gc.jpg

That ones hot.

you know I own the flashy text warning pattern right

Do it up big and I'll add it to the OP.

Nope!

I'm using these settings and the game will display without changing resolution at all for DSII, which lets you go lightboosted.

Code:
renderWidth 2560
renderHeight 1440
reportedHz 60

# The resolution you want to downsample *to*.
# Should generally always be your output device pixel size and frequency.
# Writing something not supported by the display here will probably cause a crash.
#presentWidth 2560
#presentHeight 1440
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080
presentHz 120

Schlomo

According to a nice fellow over at steam gaf, it's a known bug with Nividia cards. For some reason, using an HMDI cable to run my PC to my TV causes some sort of bug that only occurs when downsampling, and that is that my screen gets MUUUUCCCCH darker when I try downsampling. I have to crank the brightness up almost to max on most games so that it looks ok. It never happens outside of downsampling, though.

That's not just an Nvidia thing. I have encountered exactly the same phenomenon with my HD 6950.

Edit: my bad.

Also I can't seem to change the texture for the cursor, it's the only texture I can't seem to override. Has anyone found a different cursor texture besides 1331dad4.tga? Because when I modify that nothing changes.

Why is it that DX11 is always not supported by these things? Is it fundamentally different in how it goes about rendering games?

Top Bottom