• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GeDoSaTo - Downsampling from Infinity and Beyond!

greyskull

I only get to set resolutions above 1080p if I use Nvidia DSR. If I turn it off, and only use GeDoSaTo, 1080p is the max. Is GeDoSaTo supposed to show more resolution options with this game? Isn't is usually just forcing whatever you set in the ini?
Hmm, so even if I set my desktop resolution to 4k, and then choose 4k in Pillars, it still is just 1080p upscaled to 4k, downscaled to 1080p.

I just fired up the game again today, was trying to attempt the same thing. With both DSR and GeDoSaTo, I'm unable to get the game to actually change its rendering resolution. The options in the resolution menu are there, but switching to them causes no change in rendering. I'm at 1920x1200 native, and I've tried both 3840x2160 and 3840x2400.

Was hoping to see the game with zero jaggies; there are people around the internet reporting improvements with downscaling. Bah.

Lime

Does the code for the Unity games like Dreamfall and Wasteland 2 work on all Unity games? I can't seem to make it work for Californium.

Code:
clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 3840x2160@60
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
modifyGetCursorPos true

I am going off this blog post: http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?p=635

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Duranteeeee I have finished multiple games at 4K because of your tool.

I'm currently playing Silent Hill: Homecoming which benefits from the resolution boost immensely (as well as the Bicubic setting muahahahaha)

I know that this is a super old post, but has anyone else have had good experiences playing SH Homecoming with GeDoSaTo? Does this apply to Windows 10 as well?

Echoplx

Does this still work with Prince of Persia (2008)?

Doesn't seem to be hooking in at all for me.

EDIT: nevermind it works, i'm an idiot and left the .exe at the end of the file name.

Sanctuary

Any tips on getting bloom to look good with Dark Souls 2? The default settings just makes anything reflective overly bright, destroys details and overall the bloom brightens the entire screen on top of simply affecting individual light sources or reflections.

Parsnip

So I started Lightning Returns today, and I'm getting extremely long load times if GeDoSaTo is enabled. I'm using the default profile for hudless screen hash, nothing else.
Even tried to just comment those parts out of the ini and that didn't make a difference either.

Using the extremely scientific stopwatch method, loading from menu to the first town takes about 14-17 seconds without gedosato.
With gedosato it takes around 30-36 seconds.

I noticed a similar thing with XIII-2. Played most of that with gedosato enabled, but then forgot to start it once and wondered how loading from Historia Crux to a locations was suddenly so much faster.

Has this always been the case, and have I just not noticed before? Or is it just me?
I tried searching it a bit and found a few scattered posts here and there but nothing solid.

Okay, so I have a question that is either fairly straightforward or quite complicated.

Are there ideal resolution ratios to downsample from, for a given method of downsampling, or is a higher resolution always better than a lower one?

e.g. is 2 x vertical, 2 x horizontal resolution better or worse than 2.07 x vertical, 2.07 x horizontal resolution?

Gattsu25

Banned
Okay, so I have a question that is either fairly straightforward or quite complicated.

Are there ideal resolution ratios to downsample from, for a given method of downsampling, or is a higher resolution always better than a lower one?

e.g. is 2 x vertical, 2 x horizontal resolution better or worse than 2.07 x vertical, 2.07 x horizontal resolution?

I whipped together a shitty excel sheet that cheats for me.

I would tend to stick with the resolutions that have a multiplier that is evenly divisible by 40 (e.g. multipliers 120, 160, 200, 240, 280, and 320):
Code:
Aspect Ratio    Multiplier  Resolution         Tags
16:9            80          1280x720@60        720p
16:9            90          1440x810@60           
16:9            100         1600x900@60           
16:9            110         1760x990@60           
16:9            120         1920x1080@60       1080p
16:9            130         2080x1170@60           
16:9            140         2240x1260@60           
16:9            150         2400x1350@60           
16:9            160         2560x1440@60           
16:9            170         2720x1530@60           
16:9            180         2880x1620@60       2k
16:9            190         3040x1710@60           
16:9            200         3200x1800@60           
16:9            210         3360x1890@60           
16:9            220         3520x1980@60           
16:9            230         3680x2070@60           
16:9            240         3840x2160@60       4k
16:9            250         4000x2250@60           
16:9            260         4160x2340@60           
16:9            270         4320x2430@60           
16:9            280         4480x2520@60           
16:9            290         4640x2610@60           
16:9            300         4800x2700@60           
16:9            310         4960x2790@60           
16:9            320         5120x2880@60           
16:9            330         5280x2970@60           
16:9            340         5440x3060@60           
16:9            350         5600x3150@60

erika.tschinkel

Neo Member
Hi all,

Been trying to get DXHR (the original flavor) to run with GeDoSaTo but I'm having the hardest time getting the screenshot function to work. I had some issues before--would often get the "could not allocate memory buffer" error, but if I tried again I usually got it eventually.

Since I last shot the game I have upgraded both GeDoSaTo and upgraded to Windows 10. The older version of GeDoSaTo I was using wouldn't allow the game to open no matter what settings I used. (I'm using ENB.) Now, no values of maxScreenshotParallelism seem to allow me to take a screenshot. No idea what I'm doing wrong. I'm also getting a variety of errors this time.

Any ideas of what to try? This damned game is like a necklace in a drawer--I don't touch it for months and all of a sudden have issues with it, but before I've been able to fix them.

diaspora

Anyone else having an issue starting Mass Effect 3 with Gedosato on? Even if it's not downsampling anything? (Windows 10)

edit: I can see it's a logged issue.

edit 2: fuck it rolled back to release 10.

Has anyone else had issues with texture dumping?

The instructions for doing it are very straightforward and make perfect sense so I'm not really sure what else I can try differently.

I've made sure everything is set the way it should be but the textures never end up dumping for any game I've tried.

I can be more specific about how I'm going about things if necessary, but I was hoping someone else on Gaf had encountered it and figured it out but after googling around I haven't found a solution here or elsewhere that's worked for me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you :)

Just wondering if anyone has been able to downsample the Darkplaces Quake sourceport? I've tried a couple of things, and it doesn't seem to budge. Normally, the game will not apply 4k resolution, even though it's listed. Forcing 4k will keep the in-game resolution at 1080p, making it a small box in the corner, and will still not apply the full resolution. I tried replacing a preset resolution, and it seems to work, but it doesn't downsample, the image just stretches past my monitor. Every other setting I've tried doesn't seem to do anything.

Just wondering if anyone has been able to downsample the Darkplaces Quake sourceport? I've tried a couple of things, and it doesn't seem to budge. Normally, the game will not apply 4k resolution, even though it's listed. Forcing 4k will keep the in-game resolution at 1080p, making it a small box in the corner, and will still not apply the full resolution. I tried replacing a preset resolution, and it seems to work, but it doesn't downsample, the image just stretches past my monitor. Every other setting I've tried doesn't seem to do anything.

Isn't it OpenGL? GeDoSaTo only works with DirectX 9.

TheTrain

Two years later and still there are new releases for GeDoSaTo, such a remarkable support!
I'm playing a lot of old games (That enemy called backlog!) during this year and thanks to this i've already collected 6 different version of gedo, because some on them only work on a specific version of the plugin. Yeah, DSR is here but the IQ with gedo is unbeatable at the moment. It's funny to see the improvement into the plugin build after build, what an amazing day when gedosato came to the light!

Durante

Two years later and still there are new releases for GeDoSaTo, such a remarkable support!
I'm playing a lot of old games (That enemy called backlog!) during this year and thanks to this i've already collected 6 different version of gedo, because some on them only work on a specific version of the plugin. Yeah, DSR is here but the IQ with gedo is unbeatable at the moment. It's funny to see the improvement into the plugin build after build, what an amazing day when gedosato came to the light!
That's sad to hear, though I guess almost unavoidable with a 1-man dev team and something by nature as hard to automatically regression test as GeDoSaTo.

Still, could you perhaps list the games which aren't working in the latest version, in what way they don't work, and the version they work with? I can't promise anything but if I ever get the time to do a general polishing pass this would help a lot.

TheTrain

That's sad to hear, though I guess almost unavoidable with a 1-man dev team and something by nature as hard to automatically regression test as GeDoSaTo.

Still, could you perhaps list the games which aren't working in the latest version, in what way they don't work, and the version they work with? I can't promise anything but if I ever get the time to do a general polishing pass this would help a lot.

Come on, storing an application of ~10MB isn't a problem this days! I'll write something readable with all the information that can be useful, note that the .doc already have a lot of good info!

synce

So it's been a few months since I last used the program, I updated to the latest version (0.21.2310) and now it refuses to work with Dead or Alive 5 :(

I get this error

The program can't start because D3DCOMPILER_47.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.

Also, I don't even remember how I got it working with DOA5 to begin with. I'd like to get it working with the Resident Evil remasters but no luck so far, is there a guide for adding unsupported games?

Wok

Hello guys,

I am a GeoDoSaTo noob. I have a problem with a game called Haven Moon.

While Haven Moon has a nice Myst-like vibe, the game does suffer from some aliasing. So I have tried to use GeoDoSaTo for downsampling as a way to force anti-aliasing.

I have followed this tutorial, but unfortunately, the game crashes at the "A big dump" section, only when GeoDoSaTo is activated. Has anyone managed to use GeoDoSaTo for Unity games before?

I have an error.log file:

Unity Player [version: Unity 5.1.4f1_36d0f3617432]

dxgi.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
in module dxgi.dll at 0023:700a4d76.

Error occurred at 2016-07-09_145126.
C:\Applis\Steam\steamapps\common\Haven Moon\WIN\HavenMoon.exe, run by Wok.
32% memory in use.
[...]

and an output_log.txt :

[...]
========== OUTPUTING STACK TRACE ==================

700A4D76 (dxgi) ApplyCompatResolutionQuirking
700AA31B (dxgi) ApplyCompatResolutionQuirking
ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Tentative d’accès à une adresse non valide.' (Address: 700A03E0)
700A03E0 (dxgi)
ERROR: SymGetSymFromAddr64, GetLastError: 'Tentative d’accès à une adresse non valide.' (Address: 7009FA8E)
7009FA8E (dxgi)
700AD815 (dxgi) ApplyCompatResolutionQuirking
700D760C (dxgi) DXGIGetDebugInterface1
700D7369 (dxgi) DXGIGetDebugInterface1
61A96A0E (gameoverlayrenderer) OverlayHookD3D3
016B2591 (HavenMoon) RectT<int>::GetXMax
016B3094 (HavenMoon) RectT<int>::GetXMax
01158CD7 (HavenMoon) RectT<int>::RectT<int>
0138E81D (HavenMoon) Append
012EF755 (HavenMoon) RectT<int>::Contains
0139561D (HavenMoon) PlayerWinMain
016E6808 (HavenMoon) RemapPPtrTransfer::TransferTypelessData
017223B8 (HavenMoon) RemapPPtrTransfer::TransferTypelessData
74AF38F4 (KERNEL32) BaseThreadInitThunk
77D65DE3 (ntdll) RtlUnicodeStringToInteger
77D65DAE (ntdll) RtlUnicodeStringToInteger

========== END OF STACKTRACE ===========

**** Crash! ****

Edit: From the Steam thread, forcing DirectX9 works.

Looking at the fact that you're getting a errors in dxgi.dll, to me it suggests that the game is running under dx11 which gedosato does not support.

looking at this indicates dxgi is used by dx10 and up only.

e: you could try forcing it to run under dx9 using "-force-d3d9" command line argument.
e2: alternatively you could just use VSR or DSR to downsample. (note that you will have to change the desktop resolution to make it work with unity).

Wok

I fail to understand how this tool works with Unity games asking for resolution prior to launching the game. I got the downsampling to work randomly and only 3200p to 1920p. I comment a line in the .ini thread and the downsampling works, I remove that line, it stops working, I add the comment back, and it does not work anymore. Other settings work, but the downsampling remains a mystery.

Edit: I got it to work reliably with one renderResolution setting. The game has to be run with the console option "-force-d3d9". I first run the game once without GeDoSaTo to set windowed mode. Then I input this .ini:

# This is a profile file for HavenMoon
presentWidth 1920
presentHeight 1080

clearRenderResolutions
renderResolution 7680x4320@60
#renderResolution 3840x2160@60
forceAlwaysDownsamplingRes true
modifyGetCursorPos true

overrideWidth 1920
overrideHeight 1080

and select with the mouse the 7680x4320 when the game asks, press enter to start the game, and then press alt+enter to get fullscreen mode with the correct downsampling.

I lose shadows when using 7680p but not when using 3840p:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=721514554 (7680p)

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=721515736 (3840p)

Edit: I had a BSOD when downsampling from 7k, and now I cannot get the downsampling to work again.

Jockel

I figured I'd ask here since the Sayonara 544p thread kind of died... the last Sayonara update seems to have broken GeDoSaTo support > any chance that somebody comes up with a fix? I really want to play it, but not in blur-o-vision.
When I have GeDoSaTo activated, it just freezes the game. The log just says "RSManagerDX11::redirectPresent".

Durante

I figured I'd ask here since the Sayonara 544p thread kind of died... the last Sayonara update seems to have broken GeDoSaTo support > any chance that somebody comes up with a fix? I really want to play it, but not in blur-o-vision.
When I have GeDoSaTo activated, it just freezes the game. The log just says "RSManagerDX11::redirectPresent".
That's... annoying. I'll try to look into it, but I can't promise any timeframe.

Jockel

I was promised 15 minutes or less!
Thanks for taking the time at all, of course! Why would I expect your free work within a specific time frame? :)

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Does anyone know a good alternative to GeDo's dump frame feature for things like DX11, OpenGL, etc.

I'm curious to see how some frames are composed together but don't really know the typical toolsets people might use for that.

sfried

Trying to get Binary Domain to run with GeDoSaTo, but the games configurator doesn't seem to let me select any other resolution above my monitor's 1366x768 native.

sfried

Did you add

renderResolution 2732x1536@60

to the main Gedosato settings file?

I added it to the config\GeDoSaTo_user.ini settings file. The resolution shows up on other games while GeDoSaTo is active, but not with Binary Domain nor with Chronicles of Riddick.

Echoplx

I added it to the config\GeDoSaTo_user.ini settings file. The resolution shows up on other games while GeDoSaTo is active, but not with Binary Domain nor with Chronicles of Riddick.

I just tested myself and that resolution works in binary domain for me after editing the file, it won't show up in the launcher though. Try setting the UserCFG to read only after you edit it.

Riddick is OpenGL so Gedosato won't work.

Durante

That certainly looks like a fantastic place to start checking. Thanks bud.
RenderDoc is a great answer -- it's what I use to analyze DX11 games. You might need to use its global injection feature for it to play nice with e.g. Steam games.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
RenderDoc is a great answer -- it's what I use to analyze DX11 games. You might need to use its global injection feature for it to play nice with e.g. Steam games.

Yeah that definitely took some futzing to figure out but I did get it working after realizing I needed to do global injection.

There's a boss fight in Axiom verge that looks really bad because it does dynamic zooming/scaling in and out and I was curious what the native resolution it was rendering at during that battle was. I need to get a save to that part again but I wanted to look into how it would look if it was scaled using nearest neighbor to the nearest integer scale then scaled bilnearly.

Now that I have a new graphics-card, is there anyone here who tried to play League of Legends with GeDoSaTo? I would love to downsample it a bit but I don't want to give-up borderless windowed while doing so :/

Sorry for the double-post but is there anything special required to get GeDoSaTo working on the nVidia end of things? At the very least the overlay doesn't seem to work :/

Decado

Trying this out on Tembo, which I believe is dx9. I have a gtx1070.

Added it to custom whitelist and created a new folder in gedosato cfg. It shows up in the menu drop down list.

I set the render resolution to 1080p and display to 720p (HDTV is 1080p but need 720p for 3d) as per instructions in ini. Started game and it loads in 1080p. Game not compatible?

I started using this again because Transformers Devastation has weird resolution support and now I'm downsampling it from 4K to 1440 and it's borderless windowed to boot, so that's all great.

But there's something that's bothered me a little bit for ages and it's the overlay repeating messages from a single keystroke. I've recorded a short video showing the issue and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it. Every time the two scaling messages pop up I am only pressing the default keybind (VK_NUMPAD9) once. At the beginning of the video I show that when toggling AA the popup only shows once but for some other messages it shows twice.

Edit: I should mention that this has happened on Windows 8.1 and 10, as well as on two different keyboards, so I don't think it's my PC.

didamangi

I started using this again because Transformers Devastation has weird resolution support and now I'm downsampling it from 4K to 1440 and it's borderless windowed to boot, so that's all great.

But there's something that's bothered me a little bit for ages and it's the overlay repeating messages from a single keystroke. I've recorded a short video showing the issue and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on it. Every time the two scaling messages pop up I am only pressing the default keybind (VK_NUMPAD9) once. At the beginning of the video I show that when toggling AA the popup only shows once but for some other messages it shows twice.

Edit: I should mention that this has happened on Windows 8.1 and 10, as well as on two different keyboards, so I don't think it's my PC.

Do you have the same keys enable in your user (gedosatokeys_user.ini) and default hotkeys (gedosatokeys.ini) ?

Try only enabling the keys in your user settings.

Ascheroth

I've been trying to find a PSHash for the recently released God Eater, following the PCGamer guide, but I've found some weird things happening.
Sometimes it takes a hudless screenshot, sometimes not.
Essentially, I start the game and take a hudless screenshot. When I exit the game and start it again, changing nothing in the meantime, I try taking a hudless screenshots again and it takes a full resolution screenshot instead. Sometimes it works again when I exit the game and start it again, sometimes not. Sometimes it works again when I try another PSHash, but stops working again when I restart the game, etc.

It's my first time trying this and I'm pretty confused by this behaviour. Has anyone an idea what's happening here? Am I doing something wrong?

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
I've been trying to find a PSHash for the recently released God Eater, following the PCGamer guide, but I've found some weird things happening.
Sometimes it takes a hudless screenshot, sometimes not.
Essentially, I start the game and take a hudless screenshot. When I exit the game and start it again, changing nothing in the meantime, I try taking a hudless screenshots again and it takes a full resolution screenshot instead. Sometimes it works again when I exit the game and start it again, sometimes not. Sometimes it works again when I try another PSHash, but stops working again when I restart the game, etc.

It's my first time trying this and I'm pretty confused by this behaviour. Has anyone an idea what's happening here? Am I doing something wrong?

Some games have different PSHash's that will capture hudless at different times.

For example, RE5 had one that worked universally, except for one level of the game.
Lego Marvel was VERY finicky where one hash would work, but only capture effects half the times.

There might be a better PSHash available that will be more universal, or you might just need to do one per level. At least, in my experience

Dipper145

I don't really notice much of a difference in the examples in the OP, but I guess it can't hurt if you're already running the game over 60fps

Ascheroth

Some games have different PSHash's that will capture hudless at different times.

For example, RE5 had one that worked universally, except for one level of the game.
Lego Marvel was VERY finicky where one hash would work, but only capture effects half the times.

There might be a better PSHash available that will be more universal, or you might just need to do one per level. At least, in my experience

Ah, I see. So I'll just have to search some more. Got it.

Can someone help me with GeDoSaTo? It used to work well with guilty gear xrd, but after I've updated it it doesn't work anymore. When I start the game I get an error about d3dcompiler_47.dll not found, then the game starts but doesn't downsample.
If I put the dll in the game folder the error goes away but the game doesn't start

It seems other users had the issue: https://github.com/PeterTh/gedosato/issues/371

Top Bottom