• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geek Critique: Metroid Prime 2 Echoes

Berordn

there's concept art suggesting that mp2 was going to have a Dark Ridley at one point but seems like they didn't have the time to do it like how they didn't have time to put Kraid in mp1.
it's sort of a blessing in disguise in retrospect since they're abusing Ridley these days. i'm now expecting him to show up in Prime 4 at some point.

"Abusing" seems like a weird choice of words considering it usually makes sense for him to show up as often as he does for a number of reasons.

Either way, it seemed pretty likely to me that Omega Ridley in Prime 3 was a revamped version of whatever fight he was going to have in Prime 2. At least when I first played it, the way the fight progressed reminded me more of 2's phased encounters than most of 3's other fights.

Toxi

Banned
Something astounding about Prime 2 is how rushed its development cycle was. Around 70% of the game was completed in only three months. Yet it's hard to tell looking at the finished product.

Underappreciated things about Echoes:

Agon Wastes- To me, it's every bit as good as the Torvus Bog. It's a unique location visually for a Metroid game. It has much warmer colors, but still manages to be ominous and foreboding. It has some great morphball puzzles... I especially liked navigating through the vents under the Pirate Observatory. It also has some great boss fights in the Space Jump Guardian and the giant sandworm.

Beam ammo system- This is one people complain about a lot. I felt it was near perfectly balanced. The thing is, these weapons are POWERFUL. The light beam absolutely SHREDS through the ing, and the dark beam works similarly to a more powerful ice beam of prime 1, allowing you to easily freeze and dispatch of your foes in the light world. And of course the combo beam, with it's homing ability was just brutal. Imagine having unlimited ammo... The game would be a cakewalk. Retro made the right call here.

Something astounding about Prime 2 is how rushed its development cycle was. Around 70% of the game was completed in only three months. Yet it's hard to tell looking at the finished product.

And the fact that it was basically made by 40 people.

jg4xchamp

Secret best Prime game. I agree that it has some pacing issues because of how the key hunts work in that game, but man that game has some killer ass atmosphere. The boss fights are dope as fuck too: Dark Samus, Emperor Ing, Boost Guardian.

The first two Prime games are masterpieces to me, and as much as I prefer the first one; I've never scoffed at the idea of someone arguing 2 being better. The stuff the game does really well, gives the game a richer texture that the first game couldn't match. One of those high points vs consistency thing. Both are wildly superior to Prime 3 though, that game was disappointing.

Prime 2 was the only one of the three that I didn't bother to finish, and the video did a good job at reminding me why. It felt to me like it didn't learn a whole lot from Prime 1's mistakes, and so it felt like its only contributions were new types of annoyances, rather than solutions. To me it just felt like a rushed game that somehow found the time to make superfluous multiplayer modes. I wish the UN would outlaw the creation of new dark worlds and shadow clones in video games.

Honestly it'd be nice with Ridley if they just did anything more creative with him than shoehorning in a typical fight with him and then jumping through hoops to explain how he's still alive or whatever.

Like reference him or something in the plot, but do something fresh with the series. Honestly I'm worried they'll find some way to ditch the Fusion suit to go back to Samus' iconic suit in Metroid 5, but at least its appearance in Samus Returns is promising.

My big beef with Ridley is that despite being the Space Pirate leader, not much in the games indicates he's more than a monster. I understand people probably don't want him chatting with Samus but he lacks the personality of other Nintendo villains.

Top Bottom