• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Johns on the Future of DC Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.
If he was so inclined couldn't Doctor Manhattan just dismantle everyone on the Justice League on a molecular level? Dude is damn near God.

Also, Dr. Marthattan

You could come up with some plot related bullshit to solve that. Maybe the Green Lantern Ring can shield the JLA from that. Or they could all be wearing motherboxes that prevent it.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Whispered quietly, tear running down her cheek, "no more Marthas."

The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout,"Save us!"... and I'll look down and whisper,"Martha"

Lets be frank, this could be called DC Reactionary Universe.

I don't hold Johns in such high regard, first, he is an idea man, but he struggles to give conclusion to his ideas.
Second, he is a very violent and bleak writer for my tastes, don't see how will this traslate to cinema.

30 Seconds to Martha.

FHceOxk.jpg

Funeral for a Martha

I only came into this thread because I enjoyed these references. Especially yours, Slay.

MisterHero

I don't hold Johns in such high regard, first, he is an idea man, but he struggles to give conclusion to his ideas.
Second, he is a very violent and bleak writer for my tastes, don't see how will this traslate to cinema.
He could adapt Legion and make it so Supes never knew he was Superboy

Ross61

So, they should keep going down the hole they were digging themselves in a not try to climb out?

TDLink

So he says we won't start to see these changes until Justice League...so screw Wonder Woman I guess, huh?

Anth0ny

So is every DC movie just going to be cleaning up the mistakes of the last one?

lol was thinking the same thing

It worked really well in BvS (Batman running through the smoke and saving people was one of my favorite scenes in the movie), but it would be nice if they... stopped making these dumb ass decisions.

ZeroGravity

"It's okay if we do ridiculously stupid shit with our characters as long as we're self-aware about it in future movies."

Basically what he's saying. Have some more respect for your source material.

Ross61

No, of course they need to climb out. My question would be, is Johns the man for this?
I'd say yes. He is a walking dictionary of DC knowledge and knows the qualities that most people enjoy in their characters. He's just as must viable as anyone else who's been suggested imo.

TDLink

He helped rewrite the Wonder Woman script with Patty didn't he?

From the OP:

"The pair admitted many of those changes are first going to be first seen in Zack Snyder’s Justice League, which is almost done filming for a November 2017 release. Berg admitted after seeing the reactions to Batman v Superman, they “accelerated the [Justice League] story to get to the hope and optimism a little faster.”"

It's weird that he doesn't bring up Suicide Squad being a mess basically due to them course-correcting halfway through.

Like am I supposed to be reassured that they've given Wonder Woman a rewrite after they meddled and fucked that up?

Johns and Berg were only put into this position recently. Suicide Squad was on it's way out the door as they came in. The effects of their work probably won't be felt until we get to Wonder Woman, and especially JL. The Flash will be the first film that was built from the ground-up with them in charge, and the early news on that film is incredibly heartening. They picked a great director.

"It's okay if we do ridiculously stupid shit with our characters as long as we're self-aware about it in future movies."

Basically what he's saying. Have some more respect for your source material.

Not what he's saying at all. He wasn't the one who did the "stupid shit," he was given this position just a few months ago. If anything, he's essentially in agreement with you that DC films up to this point haven't respected the source material, and that he's going to be sure that they do from now on.

Ross61

From the OP:

"The pair admitted many of those changes are first going to be first seen in Zack Snyder’s Justice League, which is almost done filming for a November 2017 release. Berg admitted after seeing the reactions to Batman v Superman, they “accelerated the [Justice League] story to get to the hope and optimism a little faster.”"
Insiders knowledge is that Wonder Woman already had a hopeful tone to it.

Tabby

From the OP:

Eh, I don't know anymore.

Does anyone here have a mom, sister or other relative named Martha?
How fun is that? When someone calls her by her name and you start blurting out "WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!?!"

I wish I knew someone named Martha.

Rooster12

I'd say yes. He is a walking dictionary of DC knowledge and knows the qualities that most people enjoy in their characters. He's just as must viable as anyone else who's been suggested imo.

I think they need a writer/advisor for every major character.

Scott Snyder = Batman
Rucka = Wonder Woman
Azarello/Lemire = Justice League Dark
Johns/Morrison = Justice League/GL
Johns = Aquaman

etc.. etc...

I just don't trust Johns to overlook EVERYTHING.

atr0cious

From the OP:

Isn't this specifically talking about when the JL was originally going to be a two parter? They probably said they couldn't deal with anymore of Snyder's edging. This was always the plan, but it seems this forced them to axe what ever depressing cliffhanger they had for JL1 and just have folks come out of it not full of sadness and rage again, with Supes showing up earlier in one complete film.

Scott Snyder = Batman
Rucka = Wonder Woman
Johns = Aquaman

etc.. etc...

Then they'd have to pay all of these people to be advisers.

Then again Mark Millar is still getting paid to "advise" Fox on FF/X-Men.

Shaanyboi

Banned

Scott Snyder = Batman
Rucka = Wonder Woman
Johns = Aquaman

etc.. etc...

After Killing Joke, Azzarello shouldn't be consulting on anything...

Azzanadra

I kind of dislike how they are ditching the dark tone. That's not what was wrong with the movies, how stupid are those guys at WB? Do they not blame the writing or the directing, no it must be the fact that their aren't enough jokes. Yeesh... Batman vs Superman doesn't even come close to the "grittiness" of the DC animated universe. Flashpoint Paradox and The Dark Knight Returns remain as the most harrowing of superhero movies I have seen.

The problem isn't the tone. DC movies can be dark. The problem is that they make bad movies. All this blame put on the tone and lack of humor makes me think they don't understand why exactly these movies are bad.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
admitted that the tone of the previous films has been wrong

Tone wasn't the problem, characters, lack of story telling, and editing were the problems.

Batman's lack of positivity was the smallest issue in that heap of problems Snyder calls his Batman v Superman ultimate edition.

Go ahead change the tone, if you don't change what's actually wrong, you'll end up with a movie that's light-hearted, but still sucks, kind of like those Rob Schneider movies.

anaron

Geoff Johns is an advisor the same way Feige is except with actual credit as a comics writer.

Why don't you trust him, exactly?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Geoff Johns is an advisor the same way Feige is except with actual credit as a comics writer.

Why don't you trust him, exactly?
Because he doesn't address the issues that the last two DCEU movies have. Perhaps he does behind the scenes, but in public, all we hear is about the tone, when tone was never the issue with DCEU movies.

Scott Snyder = Batman
Rucka = Wonder Woman
Johns = Aquaman

etc.. etc...

Azarello has no reason to even go near JLD. Lemire and Milligan are the only two for that, and even then it's unmecessary. I think Johns will do perfecty fine. Even if he doesn't know everything, he knows the core basics.

Ross61

Tone has been a problem. Let's not get into revisionist history when DC's tone as of so far has been heavily criticized and been a major point in many reviews.

As a die-hard Batman fan, this is literally the only thing they could say that would get me even moderately interested in the DC Film Universe again.

A Batman who goes out of his way to murder and mutilate criminals just isn't Batman to me. Full stop.

If they address that bullshit head-on when Batman next appears on screen, I might consider paying to see these films again.

I think what bothered me more was that he was ultimately a coward, afraid to take the sort of pain he frequently dished out on others. As superman starts to get his powers back after the first shot of gas, Batman backs away and holds up his hand as if to ask for mercy. This iteration of batman lost a lot of cred with me over that.

anaron

Because he doesn't address the issues that the last two DCEU movies have. Perhaps he does behind the scenes, but in public, all we hear is about the tone, when tone was never the issue with DCEU movies.

what else is the president of the DC going to say? "these films suck, stop watching them"

we haven't even seen what his actual involvement looks like yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom