• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff Johns on the Future of DC Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross61

Since they know they fucked up the universe and the fix won't be in till JL, that would imply that WW is unchanged. We also had an unconfirmed rumor that WW was no good very bad.

Nope. All insider info seems pretty positive on it right now.

Honestly here is the thing Johns:

I watch every comic book movie that comes out, even the shitty Fox ones(excluding deadpool). Because I love the genre.

However, for the movies that are done well(not amazing, just done right and respectful to the source material) which is for the most part, Marvel movies I will watch them more than once in their first opening weeks. Last I checked, those numbers are important. I think you should keep that in mind.

For all the Marvel vs DC nonsense, no Unlimited subscription service is the one area where it's like, just copy their service already. MU is awesome.

I've heard that DC's royalty arrangements are structured very differently from Marvel's, in a way that would make that prohibitively expensive. No idea how accurate that is, though.

I've heard that DC's royalty arrangements are structured very differently from Marvel's, in a way that would make that prohibitively expensive. No idea how accurate that is, though.
Bummer, I've been holding out hope for the longest time that DC would follow Marvel in that aspect. I guess for the time being I'll stick to GAF recommendations.
I swear to god if The Omega Men doesn't live up to its praise...

Shaanyboi

Banned
For all the Marvel vs DC nonsense, no Unlimited subscription service is the one area where it's like, just copy their service already. MU is awesome.

I think the standing theory (not sure how much credence there is to it) is that DC's business pulls in too much from trade sales, that there's fear a subscription service may cut into that.

Johns and the DC folks need to start looking at fixing Arrow, or Felicity and Friends.

Folks saying they like Thor 2 should be Banned, don't reward Disney with praise for sub- par CBM films.

Fitting. Both performances as of late have just been action figures who look good in their costumes.
Trash opinion, Cap>>>> supes
camby.png

JB1981

You don't address a characters actions in the sequel, you do it in the movie in which those actions happened. This is why movies have a beginning, middle and end with character development.

I think the standing theory (not sure how much credence there is to it) is that DC's business pulls in too much from trade sales, that there's fear a subscription service may cut into that.

Thanks. That's a shame. Always had blind spots from both, by nature of having only so much time and money to follow select characters. So MU is wonderful for, to use a personal anecdote, getting interested in GotG after he movie and spending the following days deep diving into it all.

Bahaha. Evans might not be the greatest but he's miles ahead of Cavil in either Superman role.

don't agree with that. he's a bland walking talking action figure in the cap films. i'm not saying they're equal but they are both pretty similar performances to me. he gets so overrated as cap around here. cavill would have given a comparable performance as captain america tbh.

i guess it's just the nature of the character too i suppose. always the least interesting person on screen in these marvel movies until he fights. like he's hilarious in Scott Pilgrim and cavill was...ehh...he was ok in man from Uncle so i suppose they're just being directed as cardboard cutouts with good hearts.

Litan

don't agree with that. he's a bland walking talking action figure in the cap films. i'm not saying they're equal but they are both pretty similar performances to me. he gets so overrated as cap around here. cavill would have given a comparable performance as captain america tbh.

i guess it's just the nature of the character too i suppose. always the least interesting person on screen until he fights.
You've tried to argue Gal Gadot is as good an actor as Hemsworth and Evans.
Your opinions on this matter is wack.

Evans owns his role, even when he isn't fighting. Cap doesn't do that much fighting in the first half of TFA, yet that's the best parts of the movie. And while the WS is praised a lot for its' action, the character work outside of that is also very good.

I've yet to see Cavill show anything that would suggest he'd do just as well with the character as Evans. Then again, I've only seen him in his MoS/BvS roles.

You've tried to argue Gal Gadot is as good an actor as Hemsworth and Evans.
Your opinions on this matter is wack.

when da fuck did i say this? find the quote and i'll gladly eat the crow.

fall back. nothing about evans in the cap movies is more than serviceable. and that's a term i think perfectly applies to both cavill and evans. only the mcu fanboys see something special in his captain america performance. they're playing "aww shucks" characters with minimal effort behind it. i don't really buy them to be as endearing as say..tobey maguire or chris reeves were for instance.

kswiston

Carrying a movie and being a good actor arent the same thing. I think we have more than enough evidence that Hemsworth (any of them) can't carry a movie.

prolly because i didn't say they were worse than gadot lmao, make stuff up i guess. i really don't see me saying something like that as much as i find the two chris' the weakest actors of the marvel slate.

i guess it's just the nature of the character too i suppose. always the least interesting person on screen in these marvel movies until he fights. like he's hilarious in Scott Pilgrim and cavill was...ehh...he was ok in man from Uncle so i suppose they're just being directed as cardboard cutouts with good hearts.

Yea, I don't really see that at all.

I guess the better way to put it my view on them is:

Evans doesn't bring down the movie with his level of acting. It's more or less in line with everyone else (aside from a few that dip below and a few above everyone else).

Cavil does hold the movie back. I don't know if it's the director or not but it's definitely a thing. In BvS, him and Gadot were huge black marks on the movie acting wise. Dude was acting like he was forced at gunpoint to be on set.

And the difference between those two levels of acting is definitely notable. I'm honestly not sure what you see in Cavil's acting in these two movies.

has liam hemsworth ever really starred in a movie though? he's at the most co-leading

chris aint shit either but i at least give him props for landing a Michael Mann flick.
Was Liam the leading on a movie about corporate sabotage? Or something regarding a tech invention? I can't recall the name, but I think it came out a couple of years ago

Fitting. Both performances as of late have just been action figures who look good in their costumes.
I like Evans as Cap. He isn't great or anything, but he really makes Cap for me.

Speaking of MCU actors, I'm glad we're getting Ruffalo as co-lead (I think) in Thor: Ragnarok because we need more of him since there won't be a solo Hulk movie.

Ashhong

Was Liam the leading on a movie about corporate sabotage? Or something regarding a tech invention? I can't recall the name, but I think it came out a couple of years ago

Do you mean Blackhat? That's the Chris movie by Michael Mann

Hey Disco, I remember you saying that Snyder was a better director than anybody in the MCU. Too lazy to find it though

Gross I never said that either. In fact I disliked snyder a lot prior to the man of Steel announcement. I'd never put him over Shane Black or Coogler. The rest...ehhh I think a case can be made. Both these studios ain't exactly finding the cream of the crop. I wasnt a big fan of Gunn outside of Super tbh so guardians surprised me.

People misconstruing my stuff. I said I think man of Steel and BvS >> a good number of marvel flicks that's about it. I appreciate what snyder is trying to do and his visual sensibilities but it's clear he is not a good storyteller here. Not even competent half the time. But he stumbles onto some good shit sporadically throughout his movies.

Hmm....not sure I can recall this. But then to be fair I've never sat through any of his movies except for the hunger games. All the power to him tho. Peace and love and all that. But I ain't got time for a Liam Hemsworth movie

Do you mean Blackhat? That's the Chris movie by Michael Mann

Hmm....not sure I can recall this. But then to be fair I've never sat through any of his movies except for the hunger games. All the power to him tho. Peace and love and all that. But I ain't got time for a Liam Hemsworth movie

Paranoia is what I was thinking of. 2013, so farther back than I thought. But it also has other heavy hitters, too.

Karu

I thought the problem with DC movies was that the writing and directing sucked, how is changing the tone going to fix any of that? .
This.

I hate how people demand a sacrifice of the tone - that does set the DCU apart - while that's not the primary problem at all. Maybe MoS to BvS to whatever comes next is reactionary in terms of character development, "cleaning up the mess", but overall I like the idea of developing the characters through out the movie universe by directly ackownledging what came before. The MoS set-up for BvS was fantastic and a huge reason, why I didn't hate the latter.

As a side note: HBO's The Leftovers does the dark tone but with optimism/good at its heart brilliantly. I very much like this approach, look at a certain scenario.

Joni

Johns and the DC folks need to start looking at fixing Arrow, or Felicity and Friends.
That is easy to fix. Stop killing characters because they need to be in the movies. We aren't idiots. But I think the badly performing movies are more important for him to fix than a show that is doing great numbers.

kswiston

That is easy to fix. Stop killing characters because they need to be in the movies. We aren't idiots. But I think the badly performing movies are more important for him to fix than a show that is doing great numbers.

I stopped watching the CW DC stuff after Flash S1/Arrow S3. Who did they kill off?

Ross61

Having access to the characters that we're denied to isn't one of Arrows biggest problems. It started at it being Batman-lite.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom