• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geoff K being hypemaster again šŸ˜†

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Lol fuck off geoff, i'm gonna watch the 4k trailer one hour after the show end, all the content in higher quality and none of the cringe.

Show ends at 5 AM CET. Are you really gonna be up at 6 AM on a Saturday just to watch some trailers? Damn!

midnightAI

Has Bill Clinton been confirmed as a presenter?

Yeah people give Geoff a ton of shit but he seems like the only one at least attempting to put on decent shows. For better or worse in terms of trailer and announcements TGA last year was still one of the better shows this gen.
Sure there's a bit too much indie fillers and way too many obvious ads, but someone has to pay the bills.
I think the major point of pain for most is that we watch this show for the game announcements, the awards just get in the way

Last edited:
TGA will be big this year for anticipation of GTA 6. Not holding out hope for that but it would be sick if it actually happened

Peroroncino

I like how the GAME AWARDS show is always advertised and pushed not with awards, but the reveals. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

At this point it's the unofficial E3 with a game of the year award, the rest effectively doesn't matter.

mitch1971

Cant wait for the game awards...

to finish so I can watch the trailers on youtube minus the American cringe, pointless music and movie star appearances, sponsership mentions and suits and trainers combo.

Last edited:

Toots

Gold Member

this is pretty tame by his standards actually

jealous rant :
This dude is the opposite of hype i cannot understand how he got where he is now, except he's kojima's friend (another one who exudes fun and playfulness :messenger_grinning_sweat: ).
Plus he doesn't seem to play or know or even like videogames.
It's like having dj khaled as a vip with backstage passes and a jam session with the band at a Jimi hendrix concert. Dude doesn't understand anything happening in front of him and isn't even interested, but he's there half enjoying himself when thousands of rabid fans would sell all their organs to be in his place.
It's like giving jam to a (very very rich) pig.

rofif

Canā€™t Git Gud
But those nominations are chosen by over 100 people from the gaming industry/media. Geoff does not have any say in the nominations.

Geoff isn't boycotting Hogwarts, just like he isn't boycotting Octopath Traveler 2.
nah. I don't believe that.
It's still his show

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I just want some type of information or even.....closure regarding
dmImlAF.jpg

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
jealous rant :
This dude is the opposite of hype i cannot understand how he got where he is now, except he's kojima's friend (another one who exudes fun and playfulness :messenger_grinning_sweat: ).
It's like having dj khaled as a vip with backstage passes and a jam session with the band at a Jimi hendrix concert. Dude doesn't understand anything happening in front of him and isn't even interested, but he's there half enjoying himself when thousands of rabid fans would sell all their organs to be in his place.
He has a very long history. Writing gaming articles/reviews as a kid. Tons and tons of exposure to games, video game designers and the industry. He was on Tech TV and GT. Heā€™s also on the public side where heā€™s the face of the industry. He has many people he has to please. Heā€™s attended E3 since day 1. Iā€™d say if anyone could be over it, it would be him, but heā€™s still going strong. Iā€™d say a lot of it is from showcasing video games. Itā€™s probably difficult to sum up the entire industry, so it comes off like a big show boat.

Celcius

Ā°Temp. member
How did Geoff get famous and start the game awards? I just remember him from the GameTrailers show back in the day...

K2D

Banned
Sony has shared the bare minimum the last three years and even has 6 GaaS games scheduled for the next fiscal year. My guess is we'll see more than indies!

Luipadre

Some of the comments here... He clearly cares about the industry and the games, putting 3 big shows together every year to celebrate games and game creators and some of you are so hostile towards him. Crying about ADs really? Can you imagine how expensive these shows are to make? Are you expecting him to fund the whole shit from his own pocket or what? Im glad we have someone who puts out these shows every year, especially since E3 is gone now. Its always an event

Luipadre

jealous rant :

??? Thats just not true at all. Some of you are just blind haters for no fucking reason

SHA

A Self-proclaimed personal Awards, what kinda logic is that to make a a game award show? He can't even explain his choices and put them into words.

Last edited:

Go_Ly_Dow

After last year I shall no longer be ruining my sleep pattern and frazzling my mind by staying up and watching this. It starts at 12:30am UK time. Geoff plays dirty by always keeping the best announcements and trailers for the very end. To get to that stage you have to sit through some really putrid shit, the ads, the yawn indie games and now more nonsense that have little to do with the industry. The show is too long and bloated to make it enjoyable for me so I'll just enjoy the 4k trailers and skim through the recording to see if there's any lolz like stage crashers.

Last edited:
I like how the GAME AWARDS show is always advertised and pushed not with awards, but the reveals. :messenger_grinning_sweat:
They should have done this years ago with movie/TV award shows. It has been proven to work very well for the TGA viewership numbers.

Some of the comments here... He clearly cares about the industry and the games, putting 3 big shows together every year to celebrate games and game creators and some of you are so hostile towards him. Crying about ADs really? Can you imagine how expensive these shows are to make? Are you expecting him to fund the whole shit from his own pocket or what? Im glad we have someone who puts out these shows every year, especially since E3 is gone now. Its always an event
I stopped bothering to explain this. Too many people here simply don't understand the business side of things and they don't care about how much Geoff does/cares behind the scenes. On the list of difficult things in life, taking a minute to complain is at the very bottom of the difficulty scale.

Last edited:

Raven117

Death Stranding 2
Elden Ring DLC
God of War Atreus Rising
Baldur's Gate Gamepass Shadowdrop
Hollow Knight 2: Zero Mass, Origins
Wolverine
Taylor Swift presents the award for best narrative to Spider Man 2
Cranky Kong coming to Mario Kart Mobile
Live performance by Greta Van Fleet
Neil Druckman and Lean Beef Patty end the show with the first trailer for The Last of Us Season 2, shadow drop TLOU2 remastered.
Donā€™t think I missed that Lean Beef Patty in there.

Elios83

I won't follow the show but I feel this year we might get some nice announcements šŸ‘€ šŸ‘€
If that's not the case st least we'll have the GTAVI trailer.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
To be honest, I found out the announcement of tga this year incredible last minute. He announced with, what, 3 weeks notice?

Death Stranding 2
Elden Ring DLC
God of War Atreus Rising
Baldur's Gate Gamepass Shadowdrop
Hollow Knight 2: Zero Mass, Origins
Wolverine
Taylor Swift presents the award for best narrative to Spider Man 2
Cranky Kong coming to Mario Kart Mobile
Live performance by Greta Van Fleet
Neil Druckman and Lean Beef Patty end the show with the first trailer for The Last of Us Season 2, shadow drop TLOU2 remastered.

**and then someone in the audience drops dead.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Bloodborne remastered
Death Stranding 2
Fable
Wolverine
Dawn of War: 20th anniversary remaster
Hellblade 2
Metroid Prime 4
New IP from Naughty Dog teaser

Bartski

Gold Member
- Elden Ring DLC gameplay + release date
- Death Stranding 2 gameplay + release date
- update on TLOU Online

NT80

Yes, I don't understand the hate. He's a good presenter and this show is the best thing for big game reveals/trailers now that E3 is gone and Tokyo Game Show is a shadow of it's former self.

Portugeezer

That's Geoff talk to appear respectful of even some trash indie game, because game development is hard and he'll take whatever slop he can get for his show.

Woopah

??? Thats just not true at all. Some of you are just blind haters for no fucking reason
Yeah I don't get It, Geoff clearly has a lot of passion for games and puts a lot of work into the shows.
A Self-proclaimed personal Awards, what kinda logic is that to make a a game award show? He can't even explain his choices and put them into words.
You know Geoff doesn't pick the nominees or winners right?

SHA

Yeah I don't get It, Geoff clearly has a lot of passion for games and puts a lot of work into the shows.

You know Geoff doesn't pick the nominees or winners right?
IIRC, It's a 90-10 percentage ratio, only the 10 percent left for the others to pick, he got the upper hand.

coffinbirth

jealous rant :
While I agree with the hype part, dude has been in the game since he was a teenaager. GameSlice was waaaaaaaaaay back in 1996. Suggesting he doesn't know anything about video games suggests you don't know anything about him, or video game "journalism" for the last 25+ years.

It's like saying Joe Rogan doesn't know anything about MMA.

what-huh.gif

Last edited:

Woopah

IIRC, It's a 90-10 percentage ratio, only the 10 percent left for the others to pick, he got the upper hand.
The nominees are picked by 100+ people in the gaming industry filling in a ballot.

Geoff does not fill it in, he has 0 say over the nominees.

Top Bottom