• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions |OT| After 6 years of Pacifism, the King returns.

So this game directly lifts ideas from two indie games.

The bomb based pacifism levels comes from Fireball and the multiplying cell levels comes from Waves.

Although both of those games were made off the back of Geometry Wars 2, so it's hard to feel too bad about it.

The bomb based pacifism levels comes from Fireball and the multiplying cell levels comes from Waves.

Although both of those games were made off the back of Geometry Wars 2, so it's hard to feel too bad about it.

Pacifism actually comes from am achievement in Geometry Wars Retro HD.

Xander51

Just got a... 4MB patch on Steam? Anyone else get it, or know what they changed?

Many folks on the Steam forums reported that the game would default to 24hz in fullscreen mode, and the devs said they'd push out a quick fix. I'm betting this was that patch.

Beaulieu

just got 1st place worldwide on lvl 24 on my first attemps
is the leaderboard broken or did no one buy that game ?

score is 37 mil, if someone wants to check it out (ps4)

Pacifism actually comes from am achievement in Geometry Wars Retro HD.

hes talking about the bomb based pacifism (like level 24)

I don't if the rest of you are okay with it, but I'm hoping pacifism's hit box gets patched to become smaller or easier to squeeze through or something. It just feels like it should be...tighter?

Vire

I don't if the rest of you are okay with it, but I'm hoping pacifism's hit box gets patched to become smaller or easier to squeeze through or something. It just feels like it should be...tighter?
Nah, I just wish you moved faster in Pacifism.

Feels slower than 2.

Shaneus

Many folks on the Steam forums reported that the game would default to 24hz in fullscreen mode, and the devs said they'd push out a quick fix. I'm betting this was that patch.
I'd reckon so, too. I had that issue so I just downsampled from 1440P on my 1080P monitor and all was well again!

No idea how a bug like that could get missed.

Traditionally downloadable arcade games tank this time of year. Every publisher I've talked to has said this and XBLA sales numbers I've heard have always been much lower.

People are usually too busy with big $60 games like Assassins Creed, CoD, Halo, and so on that they don't bother checking out smaller titles.

Any tips on King Killer? It becomes psychotic after the forty seconds mark, and nearly impossible after fifty.

I'm embarrassed about that one.

is the leaderboard broken or did no one buy that game ?
The leaderboards are going to be small given that the game is across five platforms.

Nah, I just wish you moved faster in Pacifism.

Feels slower than 2.
Hmm. I was just thinking that all of the Classic Modes feel like they're just running old game code with the new graphics.

I'm sure somebody ultra-technical will eventually pick apart some details, but everything felt exact to GW2, which I suspect was purposeful since the game was appearing on four new platforms.

I'm still pretty early, but I'm wondering if any of the new modes are good enough to desire a "classic" mode (just a pure mode with that gimmick, no drones or level shapes, etc.).

Did anybody play the iOS GW2? I am curious if the Titan levels in this mimic that game's mode.

I'm with you on this one. Between the smaller playing field, slower speed and larger hit boxes I don't think it's even possible to get a billion + score in Pacifism in this game.

But you know.. I'll work with the limitations and still try for a top 10 score. Hehe.

Guys what am I supposed to do with the black holes? Shoot them? Let them be?

I can't fathom how some of you score so high (Retro Classic)

Is there any trick to scoring higher outside shoot everything and grab geoms? I have to really appreciate the Retro scores that manage past 5 million. You guys must have astonishing reflexes

pargonta

Is there any trick to scoring higher outside shoot everything and grab geoms? I have to really appreciate the Retro scores that manage past 5 million. You guys must have astonishing reflexes

shoot in front of you and move in a circle

Deadline: 11th
Evolved: 10th
Pacifism: 47th

I can dig that.

(Xbox One)

what's the score for 10th on evolved on xbox one? it's 43 million now on ps4 i think. i was 10 last night with 37 million :/

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

You generally want them off this grid ASAP because they are a huge threat

It's sometimes a good idea to fly past them when you have a large pack of enemies (with a decent gap between you and the pack), then fire on the black hole.

They give same multiplier bonus as gates and can give you very big points in late game, but safe thing is to destroy on discovery. They warp paths of enemies and can accelerate them into you so exercise caution.

Vire

You are going to want to take down black holes before ANYTHING.

My strategy is to generally to try and move in a counter clockwise motion, always clear a path in front of you and worry less about the enemies behind you.

There are only a few types of enemies that can catch up to you in speed from behind and those are mainly the pink square enemies. If you feel like they are gaining ground on you, either do a quick turn around shot or use a bomb.

1 star away from 3 starring every level in adventure mode. Level 29 is the last one I need. I'll be here all night trying to do this, lol.

you guys think the hitbox is bigger but I'm not convinced. the game is definitely busier visually which gives you the impression that you died when you shouldn't have. I'm starting to pull off familiar maneuvers though, so I'm not too broken up that i didn't beat my score.

almost out of the top 100 😳

Vire

Is there a way to tell how many people are on the leaderboards? While I feel good about rank 93 in Classic Evolved for 18 million, it'd be nice to know how many that's out of.

thanks for the tips.

So, blackholes just suck everything up. Sometimes there's 4 on screen at once! Seems crazy to deal with them and all the enemies too. Then they shoot out the protons or whatever those super fast enemies are.

I also managed to discover a new enemy: it's two colours, green and red, or something. Basically it's unkillable, except for the red tail... How many more enemies are there?

Where are those red rings I see in some of the gameplay videos?

Shaneus

The update to the Steam client updated both the .exe and the main data (wad) file. I'd think if they were just fixing the 1080p24 issue only the .exe would be modified... so maybe something else has been fixed, too. Or added.

You are going to want to take down black holes before ANYTHING.

My strategy is to generally to try and move in a counter clockwise motion, always clear a path in front of you and worry less about the enemies behind you.

There are only a few types of enemies that can catch up to you in speed from behind and those are mainly the pink square enemies. If you feel like they are gaining ground on you, either do a quick turn around shot or use a bomb.

Well, not if you want the massive scores you don't. Black holes and gates offer a 5x point bonus for the enemies they kill with their explosions (started with GW2. GW1 there's no such bonus). Huge scoring players will tend to let enemies follow them and clump up and then activate the black hole at the last moment when all the enemies are close to it, and kill it before the fall in. This kills the clumped enemies, gives a hug point bonus, and leaves a convenient bundle of geoms behind. Same concept with the gates.

Rinse. Repeat. +skill = high scores.

Well, not if you want the massive scores you don't. Black holes and gates offer a 5x point bonus for the enemies they kill with their explosions (started with GW2. GW1 there's no such bonus). Huge scoring players will tend to let enemies follow them and clump up and then activate the black hole at the last moment when all the enemies are close to it, and kill it before the fall in. This kills the clumped enemies, gives a hug point bonus, and leaves a convenient bundle of geoms behind. Same concept with the gates.

Rinse. Repeat. +skill = high scores.

Does that visibility "bug" not drive you insane after you take out a black hole? The background literally lifts to the foreground and blocks out the geoms and particles,your fire, and all.

Does that visibility "bug" not drive you insane after you take out a black hole? The background literally lifts to the foreground and blocks out the geoms and particles,your fire, and all.

I haven't gotten to play as much as I'd like thanks to family being in town, so I haven't become too anal about anything like that yet. I was just sharing scoring tips. I would prefer the old designs for the black holes though.

Gav

I put an insane amount of hours into Retro Evolved 2, so ive been waiting for this for a long time.

Love it. Put 4 hours in last night, both adventure and classic. Already battling friends for high scores.
Finished the Emerald boss with 3 stars before i gave up last night, and i truly enjoyed the challenge of it - actually felt challenging (and enjoyable), rather than forced difficulty by simply making stronger enemies or something.

Im probably going to lose a lot of time to this game.

You guys should add me on Steam if you have this game (it's my GAF name btw). Not many folks on my friends list have it and would love some leaderboard competition.

B3c6lQzCIAAE-Be.jpg

Haxxona

Banned
Had a blast yesterday with my brother I even dumped Gta5 to play this.After 2 hours of co-op play we finally got stuck at the first boss level and couldn't progress through it after playing it for 30 rounds.
Long time ago I played a super intensive co-op game(might actually be Retro Evolved 2)

Edit: Just scored the record in the Checkpoint game mode in Co-op(L7-no way out).
15704656688_c7ed0bc91d_o_d.jpg

Nope, and nope. The game takes ideas from neither of those, if any thing it's quite the opposite.

Both the mines and virus infection were present in Geometry Wars Galaxies as level types, which came out before either of those games even existed. The only thing new in this game right now that wasn't present in a Geometry Wars game before, are the yellow crosses that spin real fast, the full 3D grids, the bosses, the mid stage power ups, the supers and the death walls.

p3tran

Banned
just bought this, happy I did!
geometry wars is back, baby!

I'm such a slow old man. I have to just focus on beating my own score in games like this nowadays or I get so bummed out.
depends how much stimulants your opponent has consumed before playing and setting his score, if you want an absolute even field in competition. :D
then you have what I read above, that you upgrade your ship as you move on, then return on earlier levels ;)

add me if you are on xbone, that should provide you some slow old man competition :D

CRS

At my families place until the weekend but I wouldn't mind starting a multi-platform GAF leaderboard when I get back.

Already played for a few hours on Xbox One but I might end up picking this up for PC as well.

Gamer tag: ChldRebelSoldr

Kinda average at the game so add me so I have someone to try to beat.

kyser73

I have NO idea what I'm doing in this game :)

But I'm lurving it. Scratching that twin-stick itch until AAC comes along...

Whoa! Wait, you can shoot blackholes, and destroy them?

I just let them suck up the enemies, though that seems to negate points. But then they send those super fast enemies at me. Are they worth more points?

Top Bottom