• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions |OT| After 6 years of Pacifism, the King returns.

Played a little last night. Pacifism seems to scale very quick now. The ship movement feels slower than the original.

It feels like he's put on weight in the last 6 years.

Its alright, better than I thought it would be. I've not played adventure mode much at all but first impressions is that I'm not really interested in it.

Kind of annoying how easy it is to get killed by spawning stuff as well

vermadas

The sound is the most disappointing thing for me about this game so far. Next time I play I'm going to try turning down the music relative to the sound effects and turn up the master volume and see if that helps a little. The explosions lack a lot of the oomph I'm used to from prior entries.

Visually it looks mostly faithful. I think the background's more bluish hue gives everything less contrast and you use a lot of the cool neon look. The visual indication when enemies are about the spawn is definitely welcome.

mekes

Really happy I made the purchase based off of my first hour with the game, I had a little apprehension after reading that impressions weren't great based off of some test plays at different events. Its for me, this game. Leader boards for every level, classic modes, lots and lots of fun to be had!

theytookourjobz

Not a huge fan of the 3D levels but Classic mode is still amazing!

Add me on XB1 if you want to make yourself feel better! GT: theytookourjobz

depths20XX

Does Pacifist feel different to anyone else?

I used to be a beast at it and now I'm really inconsistent. I think it has to do with how the barbell things spawn in. They seem to spawn in way faster.

I don't like the rendering issue when a grav well gets destroyed. The background mountains to the foreground blocking the view.

Also Deadlines music doesn't seem to change every 30 seconds as it did before to tell the player when in time they are.

Otherwise I'm enjoying it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

I used to be a beast at it and now I'm really inconsistent. I think it has to do with how the barbell things spawn in. They seem to spawn in way faster.

Spawn rate of gates vs diamonds appears to be the same, I think the playing field is smaller... Couple that with the diamonds pointing towards you, you tend to have far less gaps. The spawn rate might be a tad quicker too which would also lead to less gaps but I'd have to play them side by side and time them

Friend and I were having a tough time cracking 40 million even though our GW2 scores were much much higher

Munin

I think a) the ship is slower, b) the barbells definitely destroy less enemies and c) they might also spawn faster.

It's a lot tougher that's for sure.

Holy crap is this hard!
Only just scraped 2 stars on the 1st level of Adventure mode.
Do I unlock some kind of powerup later on that I can use on earlier levels to reach the scores others have or do I just suck at this! lol

Holy crap is this hard!
Do I unlock some kind of powerup later on that I can use on earlier levels to reach the scores others have or do I just suck at this! lol

I haven't re-tried them yet to see if you can use the drones and supers on them, but first time through, you don't get drones/supers until after the first boss.

Bandit

Neo Member
Holy crap is this hard!

yeah you can go back and play them with your drones that you have unlocked later

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Getting this right now. I love Galaxies (didn't play 1 & 2, sorry!), I love SSHD, I love Resogun, I need something new in the same vein. This should do nicely.

Isomac

I pretty much don't like anything about this game. It just seems to be filled with bad decisions. I haven't played since the first game and that was years ago. I can't understand what they have done to this game.

Harlock

I think a) the ship is slower, b) the barbells definitely destroy less enemies and c) they might also spawn faster.

It's a lot tougher that's for sure.

The ship also feels a little "fat" or the collision is wider. Can't get the same almost hit escapes from the last game.

ThisOne

Getting this right now. I love Galaxies (didn't play 1 & 2, sorry!), I love SSHD, I love Resogun, I need something new in the same vein. This should do nicely.

I think I actually like this more than Resogun. Has that "just one more time" feel to me more than Resogun had (a game I paltinumed).

ThisOne

I pretty much don't like anything about this game. It just seems to be filled with bad decisions. I haven't played since the first game and that was years ago. I can't understand what they have done to this game.

What specifically don't you like about it? Other than some weird camera stuff going on on some of the cube levels, I think it's great and well worth $15.

I think I actually like this more than Resogun. Has that "just one more time" feel to me more than Resogun had (a game I paltinumed).

Resogun's issue was just a lack of different modes. I bought the season pass though so hopefully the next DLC will add more modes.

Jarrod38

I definitely think it's worth picking up. Lots of content and modes for $15 and it nails that "just one more time" feel that I mentioned above.

Good to know. I planned to pick it up anyways because it was great learning Pacifism is in the game.

toff74

Just hitting start on the PS4 version.

Loved the first 2 on the 360 and looking forward to this like you wouldn't believe.

Add me if you want some bullet fodder on your leaderboards

PSN: Toff74

RoadHazard

Gold Member
In Deadline, is the only penalty for dying that you lose your weapon upgrades (not that that's not bad)? Multiplier doesn't seem to be affected.

Also, wow, Adventure mode gets difficult quite fast.

In Deadline, is the only penalty for dying that you lose your weapon upgrades (not that that's not bad)? Multiplier doesn't seem to be affected.

Also, wow, Adventure mode gets difficult quite fast.

Deaths are the most important part of Deadline. The more you die, the fewer enemies you get, and therefore, the fewer points.

Deaths are the most important part of Deadline. The more you die, the fewer enemies you get, and therefore, the fewer points.

Yeah it is brutal how that works. It is also random how much you get punished by a death.

I'm still in the top 200 in Deadline on Geo Wars RE2 and it took hours upon hours to do that but with all that time I could never figure out the rhyme or reason. That and the spawn speed after a while seems to be either destroying things or geom collection or both or something.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
loving it.

second boss in adventure, adventure is a great mode. the boss is really fun and pretty varied. I like. classic is in as well. good deal.

I got the steam version and it stutters occasionally for me with a gtx 970 and an i5 3570k. It doesn't happen enough that it affects gameplay(I don't think it happens at all in the classic modes) but it's still annoying. Also I was wondering why I sucked at pacifism now but now I see some of the other posts explain it.
Other than that, I still actually find the game very fun and I am glad that I bought it

Resogun's issue was just a lack of different modes. I bought the season pass though so hopefully the next DLC will add more modes.

Resogun is a lot slower to ramp up, but I enjoy the metagame that makes it so long: perfect human scores, knowing when to use and build overdrive, keeping the multiplier alive by chaining enemies and gathering them at the right time, boosting where appropriate, dealing with gatekeepers (some of which need to be attacked in order)...

It's very enjoyable in that regard: you are constantly trying to perfect every single second to get the ultimate high score.

The DLC is even greater: Survival mode is much faster, though also starts slow, but it builds up insanely well. I think it's better than the main mode.

The newest DLC is getting announced any second now, and I am hyped as hell because Sony gave them more time to work on it after seeing and liking what they revealed to the bosses.

It definitely lacks the modes of GW, as did Stardust at launch, but Stardust added some fun modes, and I am confident Resogun's second DLC will be just as good as the first. I don't feel like lack of modes is an issue though, because the modes in Resogun and Stardust are solid and meaty, and the heart of the IPs.

Geometry Wars (classic evolved) is much different in that it feels a lot faster a lot quicker.

-----

Any advice on how to deal with blackholes and enemies that they shoot out? I find it impossible to escape.

Also, I really dislike how Pacifism mode feels. The gates aren't strong enough, and I really feel like hit collision is a little off... I don't know why.

I am guessing there are some really interesting strategies and tips that will begin to unravel, but the "one more time" feeling for me right now comes from how fast I die lol

I appreciate any tips, I am looking at the 16 million score set by one of you on my friend's list and I am scratching my head having just barely reached 2 mill

Isomac

What specifically don't you like about it? Other than some weird camera stuff going on on some of the cube levels, I think it's great and well worth $15.

All the 3D levels so far have been really frustrating. Especially in modes where you only got one live. I really don't like those checkpoint and King of the hill modes. Which makes the adventure mode quite annoying. Locking bosses to star amounts, meaning I need to play even those stupid levels to get 2 or 3 stars.

Also I don't understand why even the flat 2D levels are zoomed in so that you can't see the whole area all the time. In a game like this it's really important to see what is happening.

I am also getting performance problems that are literally killing the last bit of fun I could have with the game.

That moment when you hit the bomb button in desperation, only to realize that you're all out of bombs, and yet you somehow fight through the maelstrom regardless. That is the essence of Geometry Wars.

outsida

Played until the wee hours last night. Loving the game.I prefer the older graphic style to this new one though. I think it looks way too soft. But overall I'm very happy to have a new geometry wars on my home console.

Shaneus

yeah you can go back and play them with your drones that you have unlocked later
This is what I don't like about adventure mode and the star system. If it was only using specific drones or just on your own (so it's a pure score chase) then it's fine. But allowing people to earn powerups in future levels and bring them back just kinda cheapens it. They should just drop your ship in there as-is, say "good luck" and leave you to it.

There's no excuse for not having the first level impossible to 3-star without powerups. Doesn't give me any incentive whatsoever to try my hardest on any of the levels until I've finished the game.

Otherwise, the game's not all that bad. Classic mode is fine (the enemies move differently somehow, maybe a little floatier and less erratic? The graphics used on King are far too busy though, the things running around the island circles still look like enemies to me at a glance) but it just doesn't feel (control-wise) much like any of the other titles, IMO. A little less precise overall. This is on PC with a 360 controller, BTW.

Less feels like a fan-made tribute and more like a "let's resurrect this franchise ASAP!" effort. Not unlike Halo 4 made by 343i instead of Bungie, in that at first glance it does the same thing it's predecessors did, but on playing is more a really, really good impersonation/interpretation.

I think if I think of it less of a Geometry Wars title and more of a clone, I'll overlook the negative stuff mentioned above.

Oh, and the music sucks. Hopefully someone comes up with a way to inject the old music into the new game on PC.

PS. Shaneus2k2 on Steam if anyone wants to add me! Maybe we should setup a GAF GW3 Steam group?

Top Bottom