• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions |OT| After 6 years of Pacifism, the King returns.

meppi

Can't wait for impressions from GeoWars 1 and 2 vets.

Early impressions weren't great, but I'm open to hearing more and giving this shot should the impressions be positive.

Well I bought PGR2 for Geometry Wars 1 and Retro Evolved 1 and 2 were the first 2 XBLA games I ever bought. Also got the Wii and DS versions of Galaxies on day 1 and loved both of them as well.

Was quite sceptical of GW3 at the reveal as it looked very different from the past releases.
Especially the 3D levels worried me a lot.
After booting the game up after midnight and thinking to myself "I'll just play a game or 2 before going to bed" and ending up playing till 2AM, I can safely say that this is a true sequel in every way.

The only thing I don't like as much as the past games is the overal art style and 2D graphics as I loved the pure 2D vector like neon style so very much. But that's it.

No regrets whatsoever for picking this up and I'll be sure to convince my buddies to do the same. :)

Dezzy

Played this on PS4 for a couple hours today. I really loved Geometry Wars 2, and I was very skeptical of this one looking at previews, but I bought it anyway of course. Good move, because it turned out awesome. All the classic modes play as they should, and adventure is really fun with some great stage designs. I love it. Lucid Games delivered.

Drone

If I get this on 360 can I see the Xbox One players on the leaderboards?
Are the graphics gimped for the 360 version or is it basically the same?

lem0n

I'm terrible at this game but I love it so. That Sausage level gave me such a hard time. Adventure #5 I think? Fffffffff

bill.cosby

Neo Member
Awesome to hear the good impressions so far. The xbla games were some of my favorites from last gen. Wish it had come to Vita as well

Just played a couple games of this on my Xbox One and oooh have I missed Geometry Wars. I was legitimately surprised when I heard of this actually being a thing a couple days ago, and now having played it, its still as fun as I remember it being on my 360.

As was the case with the previous GW games, I do better after getting a couple adult beverages in my system. I think it's because it allows me to take risks I might not otherwise take... just like in real life.

Interesting that deaths don't seem to affect score, outside of slowing you down and killing the field.

In Super Stardust, staying alive was very crucial to your score, because dying reset the multiplier.

CLEEK

As was the case with the previous GW games, I do better after getting a couple adult beverages in my system. I think it's because it allows me to take risks I might not otherwise take... just like in real life.

My GW2 high scores always came from weekend afternoon play, where I was awake, sober, with an espresso in my system. Late night combos or tiredness and alcohol always made me play much worse.

Tonight I'll lay off the booze and have a coffee and will hopefully turn into a GW3 winning machine.

So you've played the full one then?

Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean did I get to the end of the adventure mode - nope, I didn't because I didn't like it and I thought it was boring. Maybe it gets better in the later stages, so I'll give it another shot to see if it improves. I'm a huge Geo Wars fan, and I consider the first Geo Wars to be one of the greatest games ever made. I didn't enjoy the 2nd one as much, but it was still a solid game.

I agree about the music and black holes. They lack punch compared to the old games. The gates now also don't explode impressively. But I'm still loving the game regardless. I enjoy it so much more than Resogun.

Yeah, I was hoping the music would be much better than what they have currently in the game, though I do like the redone music for Retro Evolved. The black holes are super lame in this! The black holes from the first one had much more oomph, looked better, and really altered gameplay in a dramatic way. Now, not so much.

GeDoSaTo works great. Here's downsampled from 7680x4320.
iNYbu9cFpnhew.png
I was only getting about 30fps, but it looked gorgeous.

djlr181

Does anyone know if Ieaderboard's are shared between PS3 and PS4? Would love to compare scores with friends on both systems.

rcl66

Is there any real difference between the PS4 or Xbox One versions? I'm tempted to get it Xbox just to keep the achievement list on the same platform, but I play my PS4 way more.

Want to know the same thing. Anyone play both versions?

Want to know the same thing. Anyone play both versions?

I haven't tried the xone version, but I can't imagine the xone version being different graphically/performance wise, seeing as this game isn't graphically taxing or anything. I would place money on it that they're exactly the same.

Interesting that deaths don't seem to affect score, outside of slowing you down and killing the field.
Depending on the mode, it has DRASTIC effects on your scoring.

Deadline, for example, deaths (and bombs) reduce the intensity of enemies, which after a couple of times can seriously cripple your scoring.

There is some really bad bit detection as I feared. Play pacifism and you will notice your ships hit box goes beyond your actual ship. Not cool. At all.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Music sucks :(

Agreed with others on the sound effects and black holes as well.

Still having fun, but it doesn't feel as responsive as Geo2. I'm not sure if it's the difference in controllers going from 360 to Xbone or if the ship just controls slower in this game.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
There is some really bad bit detection as I feared. Play pacifism and you will notice your ships hit box goes beyond your actual ship. Not cool. At all.

I thought the same, but then you can still do some crazy moves

My thinking is... in pacifism... the blue diamonds now all turn to point at you giving you less movement freedom as you're accustomed to

I thought the same, but then you can still do some crazy moves

My thinking is... in pacifism... the blue diamonds now all turn to point at you giving you less movement freedom as you're accustomed to

I noticed it too... however I have been playing back clips and can see a substantial gap between my ship and the blue square when I blow up.

This is disappointing.

Actually on the odd occasion it was a bit wonky in Geom 2 as well, but it tended to benefit you. I've had a number of instances where I've definitely hit the ends of a bar but not died.

Sucks if that is indeed the case here though. Here I was thinking I just sucked.

Just finished streaming for the night. Thanks to the average of 25 viewers that came to hang with me :)

This game is great. Only been playing adventure mode, got through about the first 25 stages only though because I was making sure to 3-star everything. Got a bunch of #1's that might last a day or two and a bunch that probably won't last the night, but this game has its teeth in me big time already.

I will say, though, that the cube levels, while neat, the camera absolutely sucks you out of it. If the camera would transition smoothly like it does on almost all the other shapes, they would be great too. Sniper mode is hard as balls, 1-life evolved modes are awesome. Gonna be playing this for years.

Just bought this after hearing the good impressions, and got sucked right the fuck in for a couple hours. Highly recommended, and if my impressions are correct, this game will have a ton of replay value. It's so awesome to have Geometry Wars back in my life.

Warning though, I bought this on X1 out of tradition, and although it's still awesome, I saw minor non-gameplay intrusive frame stutters at the end of a few levels, and the game does lack some AA. Pretty bummed out I didn't buy it on Steam, seems like it would have looked just that much nicer.

Shaneus

Not sure what you mean by this. If you mean did I get to the end of the adventure mode - nope, I didn't because I didn't like it and I thought it was boring. Maybe it gets better in the later stages, so I'll give it another shot to see if it improves. I'm a huge Geo Wars fan, and I consider the first Geo Wars to be one of the greatest games ever made. I didn't enjoy the 2nd one as much, but it was still a solid game.
Sorry, I meant either the released version or the pre-release that was at shows like PAX Australia and such. Should've fleshed it out a little better!

Is there a way to play it GeoWars 1 or 2 style, with an option for a straight-on retro mode without the gimmicky angled camera views and 3D shaped arenas?

I wish it had the option to put the next persons score on the leaderboards on the map itself when you play. Kinda odd they didn't bring that back.

There is classic mode, which has evolved, pacifism, deadline, king, and waves from Geometry Wars 2.

Cool, but does it work with a camera that looks straight down onto the arena without the three-dimensional angles which distort the visible distance between player ship and enemies and shots?

Cool, but does it work with a camera that looks straight down onto the arena without the three-dimensional angles which distort the visible distance between player ship and enemies and shots?

In classic mode the playing field is 2d, but it tilts around a little as you move around it. I like the effect. It is more subtle and dynamic than some of the over the top wonkiness in the new modes.

ThisOne

The spherical levels are kinda weird but other than that, I'm loving the game. Not sure how anyone that liked either of the first two couldn't at least somewhat enjoy this one as well.

In classic mode the playing field is 2d, but it tilts around a little as you move around it. I like the effect. It is more subtle and dynamic than some of the over the top wonkiness in the new modes.

Yeah, okay, was concerned about the drive to freshen up the visuals would somehow fuck up the playability and certainty of the classic core game that demands precision in the most difficult moments.

Top Bottom