• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions |OT| After 6 years of Pacifism, the King returns.

they both also apply to evolved, but doesn't have as much impact as on deadline

Incorrect. Evolved will spawn enemies after a timer even if you don't kill anything. Also, the number of enemies in evolved only ever increases as time goes on, no matter your deaths. Deadline decreases the number that spawn since that is a key component of the high score mechanism. Not so with evolved.

Can't wait for impressions from GeoWars 1 and 2 vets.

Early impressions weren't great, but I'm open to hearing more and giving this shot should the impressions be positive.

Watched some gameplay videos, the sound effects sound so generic, the sound for picking up the tiny particles to raise your multiplier sounds like someone randomly found a wav on google and just went with it, what was wrong with geo 2's sound? nothing that's what.

You guys both get it about Adventure mode. I've played Galaxies. I've beaten it. I never played it again. On the other hand I play the hell out of GW2 even to this day. So Adventure mode is not a selling point to me.

On the other hand you both mention the classic modes and how there shouldn't be any concerns. I can see where if you are a PC person or have ditched your 360 how that may be the case. But from my perspective I don't care about Adventure mode and I still have my 360. And I prefer the art style of GW2 over GW3. So my concern isn't how well they hold up, it's that there is no real reason for me as a fan who doesn't care for Adventure mode to buy it.

I'm more interested in the new modes that aren't Adventure. Those are what may cause me to purchase the game someday on a PSN/Live discount.

Pretty sure new modes are only part of Adventure mode, so it doesn't look like there's anything in this game for you.

Xander51

This game is fantastic and I love everything about it! I'm playing across multiple platforms, so if anyone wants to add me on PSN, XBL, or Steam, I'm Xander51 in all three places.

You guys both get it about Adventure mode. I've played Galaxies. I've beaten it. I never played it again. On the other hand I play the hell out of GW2 even to this day. So Adventure mode is not a selling point to me.

On the other hand you both mention the classic modes and how there shouldn't be any concerns. I can see where if you are a PC person or have ditched your 360 how that may be the case. But from my perspective I don't care about Adventure mode and I still have my 360. And I prefer the art style of GW2 over GW3. So my concern isn't how well they hold up, it's that there is no real reason for me as a fan who doesn't care for Adventure mode to buy it.

I'm more interested in the new modes that aren't Adventure. Those are what may cause me to purchase the game someday on a PSN/Live discount.

Non-Adventure modes are all holdovers from Geometry Wars 2.

Deadline: you have 3 minutes to score as many points as you can. Plays like a condensed classic mode.

King: you can only fire from designated zones that keep changing.

Evolved: Classic mode. Its awesome.

Pacifism: You can't shoot, have to move through gates. My favorite mode, just as good as 2.

Waves: Waves of enemies keep spawning. Ramps up very quickly.

All of these modes play and look pretty close to Geometry Wars 2. I have no complaints, just glad to have them liberated from 360 jail.

Adventure mode is a totally different thing. It seems pretty good so far, but Evolved and Pacifism are why I'm here. As far as I'm concerned adventure IS the extra mode and by that standard it is awesome.

Omg, I'm so happy right now

Never did I think this would happen. It's been too long.

Finally someone who makes sense.

Watched some gameplay videos, the sound effects sound so generic, the sound for picking up the tiny particles to raise your multiplier sounds like someone randomly found a wav on google and just went with it, what was wrong with geo 2's sound? nothing that's what.

It generally looks and sounds amazing, but I will grant you that that exact sound effect jumped out to me as being bad. I play the game with loud electronic music playing anyway though so I don't care.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
one distinct change which carries over to classic modes

the small pink squares which come out when you the kill the large ones don't come towards you

one distinct change which carries over to classic modes

the small pink squares which come out when you the kill the large ones don't come towards you

This was only a feature in GW:RE. GW2 changed to to where they don't follow you.

This is why you can't make the infamous "pink circle" in GW2.

Derpyduck

Banned
Can't wait for impressions from GeoWars 1 and 2 vets.

Early impressions weren't great, but I'm open to hearing more and giving this shot should the impressions be positive.

I'd consider myself a vet. I loved the first two on 360, disliked the DS game, and loved the Wii game other than the wiimote controls. I don't like the presentation of the classic modes in this new game, and every now and then it seems to stutter, but otherwise it's the same GW you remember. I haven't put much time into the campaign yet, but what I did play was really fun. If you play these games for the leaderboards, you'll love it. Only real downside for me is that the audio doesn't have the same punch as the 360 games.

I'd consider myself a vet. I loved the first two on 360, disliked the DS game, and loved the Wii game other than the wiimote controls. I don't like the presentation of the classic modes in this new game, and every now and then it seems to stutter, but otherwise it's the same GW you remember. I haven't put much time into the campaign yet, but what I did play was really fun. If you play these games for the leaderboards, you'll love it. Only real downside for me is that the audio doesn't have the same punch as the 360 games.

Still don't understand this stuttering feedback. I've played about half of adventure mode and all the classic modes plus the bonus mode, and not a single instance of stuttering anywhere in this game.

CLEEK

Didn't see a single dropped frame playing Pacifism mode last night [PS4]. It was rock solid.

As far as I'm aware, Derpyduck is the only person saying the game has frame rate issues. No-one else has encountered them.

I'm getting the stuttering on pc. Every few minutes it will hitch up for a split second. Otherwise it is rock solid. My pc runs far cry 4 on ultra settings so I'm assuming it is a bug.

Didn't see a single dropped frame playing Pacifism mode last night. It was rock solid.

As far as I'm aware, Derpyduck is the only person saying the game has frame rate issues. No-one else has encountered them.

I didn't come across any issues either, but then again my score is pitifully low compared to where I was at with Geom 2 so I haven't given it a proper "stress test".

Actually when there was a bunch of shit going on in Geometry Wars 2 sometimes the frame rate would drop/the game would hitch slightly.

I loved retro evolved and 2, and this game is definitely scratching the itch. Playing on PS4, adventure mode is cool and a decent change of pace between trying to climb leaderboards on either classic or some favorite adventure mode levels. Some of the adventure mode levels are downright difficult, too.

Managed to secure 1st place on the global leaderboard for the second level of adventure (evolved play type on a slightly bent rectangle). Had to take a screenshot before it gets wiped off there in what I can only imagine will be a couple hours. But man, the score chasing vibe is alive and well and so far I don't have any complaints.

Add me on PSN if you like, same ID as here. Add GeoWars or something like it so I know

BashNasty

Put in a couple hours last night and loving the game so far. Adventure mode is actually pretty cool. If you can get over the idea of 3D play spaces in your geometry wars, it's tons of fun.

Only downside for me so far is some of the "feel" in pacifism. Pacifism was my favorite mode in Geo2, as I'm sure it was for many people, and I played the hell out of it. I find that going through gates and killing blues here isn't quite as satasfying for two reasons. One, the gates don't "pop" quite as satasfyingly when you go through them and two, it feels like the geoms pop up slightly late when you kill the blues. It's like the score shows, then the geoms pop up. These two things combined make the mode slightly less satasfying.

Overall though, this is a very worth sequel to my second favorite XBLA game (the first, obviously, being trials evolution).

Shaneus

I played it at PAX Aus and yeah, I was one of the dissenters. The music was underwhelming compared to the original and I just didn't dig the flat-polygon aesthetic compared to GWRE and 2... they're meant to simulate the classic vector arcade machines (a la Asteroid) but GW3... I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.

I think that version had adventure-only mode as well and I just couldn't click with the 3D maps and the drone. I guess I'll grab the new one for Steam, hopefully they'll patch in GW2-style graphics into the classics modes or something. But I'm still not as enthusiastic as I would be if it had Cakebread and Audioantics involved.

Glad so many others are having a blast with it, though! Hoping it'll make it's way to Vita, where I'll bitch about the graphics not looking as clean as TxK.

I'm streaming right now. Currently doing adventure mode.

http://www.twitch.tv/espanajefff

I'm up to level 12 right now (gate dash) and that's soon fun. It's Pacifism and Deadline together...with gold gates that appear and give you more points when you go through them. Might replay that 2 more times just cause, lol.

The fact that every level in adventure mode has leaderboards is amazing.

If I could buy multiple copies of this game to give away, I would. It's THAT good.

Oreoleo

Still don't understand this stuttering feedback. I've played about half of adventure mode and all the classic modes plus the bonus mode, and not a single instance of stuttering anywhere in this game.

Same here. Running a Geforce 660 too, not exactly high end hardware anymore.

Same here. Running a Geforce 660 too, not exactly high end hardware anymore.

I don't think it is a performance thing. The game runs at a perfect framerate 99% of the time, but then it will hitch for a split second, which is obviously a huge deal when you are playing pacifism.

CLEEK

Only downside for me so far is some of the "feel" in pacifism. Pacifism was my favorite mode in Geo2, as I'm sure it was for many people, and I played the hell out of it. I find that going through gates and killing blues here isn't quite as satasfying for two reasons. One, the gates don't "pop" quite as satasfyingly when you go through them and two, it feels like the geoms pop up slightly late when you kill the blues. It's like the score shows, then the geoms pop up. These two things combined make the mode slightly less satasfying.

The subtle changes to Pacifism have fucked with my muscle memory. I noticed the reduced 'pop' as well. Original Pacifism is so engrained with the 360's stick that the move to the DS4 alone made everything feel wrong. Not bad, just wrong, so I'm sure I'll get used to it.

New Pacifism isn't an upgrade over the original, but a very, very slight downgrade. Still awesome and I think it will be the same massive time sink as the original. My 360 is no longer hooked up to my TV. GW2 and Rez HD were the only games I used to play on it in recent years anyway, so just having easy access to Pacifism again is a wonderful thing.

I played it at PAX Aus and yeah, I was one of the dissenters. The music was underwhelming compared to the original and I just didn't dig the flat-polygon aesthetic compared to GWRE and 2... they're meant to simulate the classic vector arcade machines (a la Asteroid) but GW3... I'm not sure what it's supposed to do.

I think that version had adventure-only mode as well and I just couldn't click with the 3D maps and the drone. I guess I'll grab the new one for Steam, hopefully they'll patch in GW2-style graphics into the classics modes or something. But I'm still not as enthusiastic as I would be if it had Cakebread and Audioantics involved.

Glad so many others are having a blast with it, though! Hoping it'll make it's way to Vita, where I'll bitch about the graphics not looking as clean as TxK.

Count me in as another dissenter in this thread. The music is subpar, I don't like the style of the graphics, and the adventure mode is a bore. The black holes also just aren't done right in this. The only redeeming thing in the game is the inclusion of the gameplay modes from Geo Wars 2, but even those are just rehashes of the same game, abeit still very good games.

So is this supposed to unlock at midnight in the UK on psn?
I got a notification saying this can now be used only for it to say cannot use the content when I attempt to boot it.

If you are having framerate issues, set it to borderless windowed mode, fullscreen was fucked for me, and some other people.

SOOOO happy to have readily available Pacifism mode on Steam.

Derpyduck

Banned

I played it some more tonight. What I'm seeing as stuttering is the inconsistent way the purple spinners turn. It looks like they're hitching, but it's consistent enough that it must be by design.

Shaneus

Count me in as another dissenter in this thread. The music is subpar, I don't like the style of the graphics, and the adventure mode is a bore. The black holes also just aren't done right in this. The only redeeming thing in the game is the inclusion of the gameplay modes from Geo Wars 2, but even those are just rehashes of the same game, abeit still very good games.
So you've played the full one then? I think the only reason I'll get this is solely for the older levels on PC, and the faint hope that someone releases a mod (or SweetFX plugin) so it looks like the old vector-based one. I guess edge-detection might be enough to pull that off. And I guess potentially replace the music with that from the original games.

But the music from the original games was a massive thing for me and I never really got a solid vibe from the music I heard at PAX Aus. Mind you, no problems with the music in Infinity Field on iOS, though... which had the same music guy as the original Geo Wars titles. Makes you wonder why Lucid didn't bother getting him back.

Edit: Looks like they didn't even try. Can only assume the same can be said for Cakebread... they just thought they could handle it on their own:
vczvHB0.png

Not even asked? If an iOS dev could afford to contract him, why couldn't an Activision-contracted one bring him on?

AHHH! I hate bumping to corners on the gates in pacifism, and for some reason, I'm finding myself using the gates to destroy the blues, but there's always *one* blue that either survives or pops up in the blast radius that gets me.

Having fun though.

Thanks to whoever was watching my stream.

At level 37 now. Going to take an hour break then I'll be streaming the rest of adventure mode.

Derpyduck

Banned

I agree about the music and black holes. They lack punch compared to the old games. The gates now also don't explode impressively. But I'm still loving the game regardless. I enjoy it so much more than Resogun.

AHHH! I hate bumping to corners on the gates in pacifism, and for some reason, I'm finding myself using the gates to destroy the blues, but there's always *one* blue that either survives or pops up in the blast radius that gets me.

Having fun though.

The blast radius is slightly smaller than in Geom Wars 2 I've found, and multipliers don't stick around as long. Will take some time to adjust.

WoodWERD

I had no idea this was coming out! Just watched the launch trailer and think it looks awesome. I love SSHD too so the 3d addition is fine with me. Now watching a pax gameplay vid and I don't get the complaints about the pacing or the colors lacking pop. The updated 'wave' ships look great and I love the addition of the sidekick. Between this and Resogun my eyeballs might melt...looking forward to the PS4 purchase even more!

Any crazy trophies/achievements? I managed to pull 200/200 for GW2-360 which was pretty damn satisfying.

AwShucks

Thanks to everyone who responded saying the new "modes" are only a part of Adventure. Clears some things up for me.

I had no idea this was coming out! Just watched the launch trailer and think it looks awesome. I love SSHD too so the 3d addition is fine with me. Now watching a pax gameplay vid and I don't get the complaints about the pacing or the colors lacking pop. The updated 'wave' ships look great and I love the addition of the sidekick.

Guess it's all up to personal preference? I for one like what Geometry Wars was, but I also like Super Stardust and have played a TON of Resogun. I'd prefer their gameplay stay separate entities. I wanted new modes for Geometry Wars on the standard 2d plane with the warping grid and great music.

srgsickdog

Neo Member
Anyone have any ideas how I can download this on ps4, I pre ordered but it hasn't auto downloaded and when I go to it on psn store there's no download option I'm in Australia

Top Bottom