• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions |OT| After 6 years of Pacifism, the King returns.

Number45

I've stopped before the Amethyst Boss, going back now to get a good chunk of the stars so I don't have to stop at any more star checks.

Aren't they the levels?
Quoting myself for stupidity. I've just noticed the levels themselves are numbered, but yeah I meant personal progression. :)

Did a couple of the score based silver trophies earlier, including the Gate Dash trophy which I really enjoyed trying for. An element of randomness to it of course, but satisfying nonetheless.

GoutPatrol

Forgotten in his cell
I'm always getting hit with nice surprises since I only casually visit the gaming side. Didn't know about a Geometry Wars 3 and didn't know it was already out. This is a good Sunday.

It's a gooooooood Sunday.

Same thing as me one month later!

I missed you Geometry Wars.

alexfont

Neo Member
I completely miss the previous games and even the lunch of this one. A friend of mine told me about it and I was just blown away after watching the game in YouTube.
A Startdust game in another dimension...

Yesterday, I had the chance to buy the game and it's bloody awesome. It's quite difficult though but I can see lots of fun, frustration and challenge in the upcoming levels.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
OH man, I know I'm LttP on this, but I just got to The Scream. Shit is INTENSE at the end. Plus the music was GODLIKE.

OH man, I know I'm LttP on this, but I just got to The Scream. Shit is INTENSE at the end. Plus the music was GODLIKE.

I'm of the opinion that all Claustrophobia stages are awesome. Trash Compactor is my favorite though.

2 new high scores today!

497 million on "The Rock" for the #6 spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4sCV6bWGiE

117 million on "Intensity" for the #4 spot: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fN3LMYL1nxw

Also, I'm proud to say I was the PAX South Geometry Wars 3 tourney champion :) I got a medal and everything.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I have something like 19 Stars left to get and a handful of trophies. Won't be able to get the co-op ones though since I have no real life mates to play it with me. :-/

hao chi

Sorry to ask something that's probably already been asked multiple times before, but is there anyway to do coop in the classic modes? I was doing coop Adventure and got really excited when I got to Pacifism, because that was my favorite mode to coop in Geo Wars 2, but I was disappointed that it was a different style of Pacifism (but still seems pretty fun).

ChrisDM

I apologize if this has been discussed in the topic somewhere, but which community seems to have the most players between Xbox One, PC, and PS4? I love me some super active leaderboards!

I apologize if this has been discussed in the topic somewhere, but which community seems to have the most players between Xbox One, PC, and PS4? I love me some super active leaderboards!

Xbox One has the most active and *legitimate* leaderboards as far as I'm aware.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I'm not exactly the best player, but on PS4 I rank in the 1-2 thousands on most of the levels. I was wondering if people just weren't buying the game or something.

Footos22

Yeah, I'm not exactly the best player, but on PS4 I rank in the 1-2 thousands on most of the levels. I was wondering if people just weren't buying the game or something.

Ive been gettign in the 700's in a lot of stages on xbox one and i'm not exactly brilliant.

got 3 stars on everything so far apart form pianola roller. fuck that level. i cant even get near my first score lol

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ive been gettign in the 700's in a lot of stages on xbox one and i'm not exactly brilliant.

got 3 stars on everything so far apart form pianola roller. fuck that level. i cant even get near my first score lol
Oh yeah? I wonder if no one is just into the game at all. I don't know if the demo lets you save your scores up to the first boss, but on my local leaderboards, I had about five friends finish the first set of levels, then one person finish the second set of levels, then I was basically the only one on my 200+ friends list to finish the game proper. It was kind of sad considering the old leaderboards on the Xbox 360.

As for the stars, I sort of stopped after I beat the last boss. A lot of the three star challenges are just too much for me to do without grinding them... and they also make me very mad sometimes. lol

I wish that co-op could be played online. At least PS4 has Shareplay, so I could play with a friend online and go through the co-op levels, but it seems like a missed opportunity. I couldn't even try for the platinum if I wanted to.

Footos22

Oh yeah? I wonder if no one is just into the game at all. I don't know if the demo lets you save your scores up to the first boss, but on my local leaderboards, I had about five friends finish the first set of levels, then one person finish the second set of levels, then I was basically the only one on my 200+ friends list to finish the game proper. It was kind of sad considering the old leaderboards on the Xbox 360.

As for the stars, I sort of stopped after I beat the last boss. A lot of the three star challenges are just too much for me to do without grinding them... and they also make me very mad sometimes. lol

I wish that co-op could be played online. At least PS4 has Shareplay, so I could play with a friend online and go through the co-op levels, but it seems like a missed opportunity. I couldn't even try for the platinum if I wanted to.

Yeah 1000g aint happening. Only reason i got it is my mate sent me a photo of his score and challenged me to beat it like he had got to top of leaderboards or something bragging he had like 2 million lol. I had not played geometry wars since PGR3. Bought it in the sale and got 33 million on my first go on the first evolved stage in adventure mode.. i havent even beaten that on any level since.

ChrisDM

Xbox One has the most active and *legitimate* leaderboards as far as I'm aware.

What do you mean by legitimate in this case?

I don't know why, but I just have always had this issue with not getting a game until I figure out what is seen as the "best" platform for the game, whether it be most active or best looking lol.

Shaneus

I don't know why, but I just have always had this issue with not getting a game until I figure out what is seen as the "best" platform for the game, whether it be most active or best looking lol.
PC version will probably look the best (downscaling, cusomisable AA etc.), have the most predictable price (ie. in Australia there's a massive differential between prices on PSN in AU and the US, Steam is the same) and I guess a good number of people online. But yeah, I reckon if it's just player count, the most would probably be on One given the game's origins.

Just get the one for the platform you have the most friends on, I guess. It's not like it's a multiplat title that'll vary in graphical fidelity like an FPS or something, it's gonna be identical across the board.

PC version will probably look the best (downscaling, cusomisable AA etc.), have the most predictable price (ie. in Australia there's a massive differential between prices on PSN in AU and the US, Steam is the same) and I guess a good number of people online. But yeah, I reckon if it's just player count, the most would probably be on One given the game's origins.

Just get the one for the platform you have the most friends on, I guess. It's not like it's a multiplat title that'll vary in graphical fidelity like an FPS or something, it's gonna be identical across the board.

By legitimate, I mean not hacked. I know for a fact that the 360 and Steam leaderboards have not "legit" scores. The devs know about it and try their best to filter them out but if you're truly competitive, those leaderboards aren't legitimate.

I can't comment on the PS3/PS4 leaderboards, but the Xbox One leaderboards are clean and plenty of people play, especially in the top skill tiers.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I don't know how you would cheat on Xbox One/PS4 anyway, unless they have been hacked open like the other consoles already.

autoduelist

Is the general consensus that the hardest adventure level is Planet of Peace? Because that one took me a ridiculous amount of time to 3 star, and everything since that (only maybe 10 past it) has been comparatively easy.

I don't agree with the hate for the Adventure levels, I really enjoy them. With the notable exceptions of Planet of Peace being a massive difficultly spike to 3 star and I'm not really a fan of the king zone levels, though I like the concept in general. I think my issue with both those types of levels is that I absolutely hate not being able to shoot at will in a dual stick shooter and so it takes me forever to reprogram my techniques.

Is the general consensus that the hardest adventure level is Planet of Peace? Because that one took me a ridiculous amount of time to 3 star, and everything since that (only maybe 10 past it) has been comparatively easy.

I don't agree with the hate for the Adventure levels, I really enjoy them. With the notable exceptions of Planet of Peace being a massive difficultly spike to 3 star and I'm not really a fan of the king zone levels, though I like the concept in general. I think my issue with both those types of levels is that I absolutely hate not being able to shoot at will in a dual stick shooter and so it takes me forever to reprogram my techniques.

Yeah, I feel the same way. I think people are bummed the game isn't a prettier version of GWRE2. Personally, I think GWRE is better than 2 and many of the adventure mode stages feel more in line with what drew me to Geometry Wars in the first place. I will say that I'm not a fan of the sniper stages and IMO it feels like there are too many deadline modes, but other than that (and a few bugs/glitches), the game is great.

UPDATE! INTRODUCING GEOMETRY WARS 3: DIMENSIONS *EVOLVED*!
On March 31st, 2015, there will be a title update, free of charge, on all platforms. Included in the title update (via direct communication from developer):

• Geo Wars 1 in Classic mode
  • 40 new levels
  • Hardcore Mode
  • New drone
  • New super
  • Revised hit boxes for Pacifism
  • Longer timeout on Geoms in King Mode
  • Improved lighting
  • Improvements to lobby/matchmaking in multiplayer
  • It won't tick through all of your friends scores at the end of a level anymore..
  • For PC there'll be some specific fixes for refresh issues, audio quality, various other minor niggles that have been reported

According to IGN's article and Sierra's own website, Hardcore mode allows players to play through challenging stages with no drones or supers, including separate leaderboards. The update also revises the previous level gating system in a bid to make progression easier.

NEW VIDEO TRAILER FOR THE "EVOLVED" UPDATE

More details might be released in the next couple weeks leading up to the release of the TU and I'll make sure to update here if they are.

Some screenshots of the new stuff on the way:
bkf9d7H.jpg

DciH9nL.jpg

3FXKKNj.jpg

G94iaQZ.jpg

I've added all of the above to the OP.

antitrop

All that free content is great, but I REAAAAAALLLLLLLYY wish they had changed the music to something that doesn't fucking suck ass.

On March 31st, 2015, there will be a title update, free of charge, on all platforms. Included in the title update (via direct communication from developer):

• Geo Wars 1 in Classic mode
  • Improved lighting

Awweeessommeeee!!

Any Geo Wars 1 footage?

Revised hitboxes will probably get me back in, as they did feel a little off to me

All that free content is great, but I REAAAAAALLLLLLLYY wish they had changed the music to something that doesn't fucking suck ass.

That main theme is hype though!

Oreoleo

YESSSSSS GeoWars1 YESSSSSS

But I hope they fixed that fucking leaderboard bug that makes only one of my friends show up. The devs responded to a post about it on the Steam forums so I know they've known about it for a while now.

Shaneus

So "hardcore" mode basically = regular mode and the normal game = for babies. Glad they added that option.

Ugh, yes :(

Wtf? Was not expecting an update like this (or any type of free content, to be honest).

This will definitely make me fire it up again. It's been a few months since I've played.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.

• [*]Geo Wars 1 in Classic mode
  • 40 new levels
  • Hardcore Mode
  • New drone
  • New super
  • Longer timeout on Geoms in King Mode
  • Improved lighting
  • Improvements to lobby/matchmaking in multiplayer
  • It won't tick through all of your friends scores at the end of a level anymore..
  • For PC there'll be some specific fixes for refresh issues, audio quality, various other minor niggles that have been reported

According to IGN's article and Sierra's own website, Hardcore mode allows players to play through challenging stages with no drones or supers, including separate leaderboards. The update also revises the previous level gating system in a bid to make progression easier.

NEW VIDEO TRAILER FOR THE "EVOLVED" UPDATE

More details might be released in the next couple weeks leading up to the release of the TU and I'll make sure to update here if they are.

Some screenshots of the new stuff on the way:

I've added all of the above to the OP.

MBisonYES.gif

Time to get back into this. Maybe now I won't struggle to get the other unlocks to reach further into Geo Wars 3 mode, and if all else fails I can play GEOMLESS MODE/1.

AwShucks

So...I'm a huge Geometry Wars fan, But I passed on this and decided I'd probably pick it up when it was super cheap. I still have my 360 plugged in, but everyone kept saying "well it has the previous modes if that's what you like".

This video...well it just made it clear to me that the "classic" modes are changed plenty. Even if it's just due to the camera, it makes Waves look completely different.

That said, I'll probably still pick this up at some point when it's on a good sale. The new free update helps and seems like it makes some of the adventure stuff more like classic GW. It might end up like Galaxies for me where I play it once and be done with it. And I'll probably stay away from the classic modes and just play them on 360 with my existing high scores and leaderboards.

Top Bottom