• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions |OT| After 6 years of Pacifism, the King returns.

Shaneus

So...I'm a huge Geometry Wars fan, But I passed on this and decided I'd probably pick it up when it was super cheap. I still have my 360 plugged in, but everyone kept saying "well it has the previous modes if that's what you like".

This video...well it just made it clear to me that the "classic" modes are changed plenty. Even if it's just due to the camera, it makes Waves look completely different.

That said, I'll probably still pick this up at some point when it's on a good sale. The new free update helps and seems like it makes some of the adventure stuff more like classic GW. It might end up like Galaxies for me where I play it once and be done with it. And I'll probably stay away from the classic modes and just play them on 360 with my existing high scores and leaderboards.
Playing it back-to-back with GW2 on 360, there really is a massive difference in aesthetics and controls IMO. You're better passing on it until it goes on sale if you're a purist.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
So...I'm a huge Geometry Wars fan, But I passed on this and decided I'd probably pick it up when it was super cheap. I still have my 360 plugged in, but everyone kept saying "well it has the previous modes if that's what you like".

This video...well it just made it clear to me that the "classic" modes are changed plenty. Even if it's just due to the camera, it makes Waves look completely different.

That said, I'll probably still pick this up at some point when it's on a good sale. The new free update helps and seems like it makes some of the adventure stuff more like classic GW. It might end up like Galaxies for me where I play it once and be done with it. And I'll probably stay away from the classic modes and just play them on 360 with my existing high scores and leaderboards.

Why would you want it if it was completely identical?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Managed to get Rank 5 on PS4 on The Scream at about 40.2M. Think I can get that score even higher. Unfortunately I don't think the PS4 sticks are as good for Geometry Wars as the Microsoft sticks are, so I've had to invent some kind of weird claw grip just for this stage so that I can keep moving up without having my fingers slide off the stick.

Managed to get Rank 5 on PS4 on The Scream at about 40.2M. Think I can get that score even higher. Unfortunately I don't think the PS4 sticks are as good for Geometry Wars as the Microsoft sticks are, so I've had to invent some kind of weird claw grip just for this stage so that I can keep moving up without having my fingers slide off the stick.

I actually use the HoriPad controller for the Xbox One. The sticks are more like the 360's, and I find it more comfortable and useful for this game. Not so much for other games, but whatever.

Also, thread is finally moved to Community for those in the thread that were wondering.

Quick update from one of the devs:

We're going to stream some of the new content on Friday at 5pm UK time. Not sure exactly what we'll show but if you're about feel free to pop in and ask any questions on the chat http://www.twitch.tv/luciddevteam/

So go ahead and tune in tomorrow if you want to get a sneak peak of the new stuff before it goes into the wild on the 31st.

jediyoshi

NO. There's still some random bullshit non standard enemy in Retro Evolved Classic. How hard could this conceptually be, they were 99.9% of the way there.

NO. There's still some random bullshit non standard enemy in Retro Evolved Classic. How hard could this conceptually be, they were 99.9% of the way there.

No there isn't. I have a couple issues with the mode (black holes shouldn't kill enemies when exploding and your gun shouldn't reset when you die), but all the enemies present were in the original.

How you guys liking the update?

Had a quick go there. Pretty good.

Reminded me of something me old Pappy used to say, "Fuck geoms".

Not many have tried it yet. My super lame score got me to 64th.

Looking forward to trying the new adventure mode when I have more time.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
No there isn't. I have a couple issues with the mode (black holes shouldn't kill enemies when exploding and your gun shouldn't reset when you die), but all the enemies present were in the original.

The gun resetting when you die almost seems like a bug. It takes less than 10k points to get it back I think.

Loving everything I have played so far. Only problem I have so far is the gun reset thing.

Ghazi

Looks like they replaced the regular game with a new Evolved + Blood map bundle on the marketplace, interesting. The Blood map is included with the base game anyway, right?

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Best part of the update is ninja mode is back in Pacifism. The hitboxes are sooo much better now.

This is a great fucking update.

Looks like they replaced the regular game with a new Evolved + Blood map bundle on the marketplace, interesting. The Blood map is included with the base game anyway, right?

It was a "pre-order" bonus exclusive for the Xbox platforms. But, like most pre-order bonuses nowadays, it was always free.

Now feels like GeoWars 2... not joking.

even_possible_aliens.gif

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Seriously. Pacifism feels great... But man does the retro evolved classic have way too fast of a ship. Feels like I'm on ice.

CLEEK

The update reset my Adventure progress. I'd only cleared 7 or 8 stages, but now its put me back to the first stage with zero stars. My high scores for the levels I had cleared are still showing though.

If I'd progressed further, I'd be super pissed.

My progression was all intact, but man did this crash on me a bunch. In the new Ultimate mode or whatever it wiped out what was shaping up to be an epic boss run as well. Oh well. Maybe it's a one off and a hard reboot will fix it for next time.

My progression was all intact, but man did this crash on me a bunch. In the new Ultimate mode or whatever it wiped out what was shaping up to be an epic boss run as well. Oh well. Maybe it's a one off and a hard reboot will fix it for next time.

I've never had the game crash, ever. What system are you on?

Xbox One. I don't think it crashed for me pre-patch. After installing the patch, first it wouldn't launch until a hard reboot, then I had the aforementioned crash, killed my will to keep going so I just played some Titanfall.

Xbox One. I don't think it crashed for me pre-patch. After installing the patch, first it wouldn't launch until a hard reboot, then I had the aforementioned crash, killed my will to keep going so I just played some Titanfall.

Sounds like an XB1's shitty OS issue. Similar things happen with other games for some people. Probably has something to do with the cloud sync functions (assuming it's a similar issue).

stay gold

Damn, what a nice surprise this was when I noticed the new logo. Retro Evolved with the updated graphics is all I ever wanted, hope they fix the weapon reset though, it throws you right off.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
The second to last world is so good. Just a sphere and absolutely insane numbers of enemies. Makes you feel like a crazy badass.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Evo Sphere is great.
Have you tried the Hardcore version yet? It's so much fun and crazy difficult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ0ct9ADTaw

Yeah just did a round of it.

Using my turret is so satisfying though. So I think I prefer the regular version.

Hardcore is way harder it seems. Going through the normal levels I was getting mostly 3 stars on the first or second try, but on hardcore I got a whole lot of 1 stars.

Bosses still suck.

Yeah just did a round of it.

Using my turret is so satisfying though. So I think I prefer the regular version.

Hardcore is way harder it seems. Going through the normal levels I was getting mostly 3 stars on the first or second try, but on hardcore I got a whole lot of 1 stars.

Bosses still suck.

Well of course it's harder :) That's kind of the point. Bring it back to the old-school Geometry Wars.

CLEEK

26th in the world at Pacifism with my latest 210m score. The update has certainly improved Pacifism. Hitboxes seem back to how they were in GW2, meaning the crazy pixel perfect acrobatics in a screen full of enemies is possible again.

26th in the world at Pacifism with my latest 210m score. The update has certainly improved Pacifism. Hitboxes seem back to how they were in GW2, meaning the crazy pixel perfect acrobatics in a screen full of enemies is possible again.

This is what I wanted to hear. Looking forward to trying it out....

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ranked 4 on Horizon at about 25m on PS4. Pretty proud of myself on that one.

Neat! Didn't even know there was an update. And I thought I followed videogame news pretty closely. This is such an awesome surprise out of nowhere for me!

Oh good lord pacifism is totally fixed now! The ridiculous hit boxes with the ship and the gate ends was totally fucking me up before. Matched my previous high score on the very first run lol.

Is anyone still playing this on PC? I'm looking for someone to fight on the leaderboards, but no one of my friends list is really playing it. Add me on Steam if you're interested!

SteamID is Dyslexic Alucard.

Top Bottom