• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

George Takei: "They interned my family. Don't let them do it to Muslims."

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiZ III

This won't happen.

Trust me - if there's some sort of terrorist attack and Trump issues an order to round up Muslims, millions of Americans will come out to protect them from law enforcement or whoever the hell it is that tries to arrest and move them.

It'll be a huge mess, but Muslims will not be rounded up. Non-Muslims will come together and help them, shelter them, protest for them.

It won't happen. Not without a huge national fight and lots of angry protesting and probably rioting too.

Empathetic Senators and Congressmen will be right there defending their rights too.

Fuck Trump and all his supporters. They'll have to arrest White Christians & Jews in order get to the Muslims. I don't see the Trump going that far.

It's been many years since I read it, but there was a line in Eli Wiesel's Night where he is entering the concentration camp and says to his dad something like "this can't happen. It's 1942, the world won't let this happen".

This can certainly happen again and even if there are protests against it, the overwhelming majority of people would be either for it or would be indifferent. You can bet that Fox News and their cronies would do their best to justify it all. Muslims are the most unpopular minority group in America. We've had people protesting outside Mosques for years now, more recently they've even started carrying guns. These hate groups are the same people that Trump seems to be putting into very powerful positions now.

Ever see the stuff the Christian right spews out against Muslims? Go check out Franklin Graham's facebook. The extremity of their views isn't far from the Phelps clan. Trust me they would like nothing more than having all Muslims profiled and kicked out of the country.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
in some cases it is already kinda miserable. it's about to get worse.i think that is a horrible idea.
Well in a country where Sikhs, Hindus, and darker toned Italians get mistaken for Muslims, if they go ahead and do this expect many non Muslims to get caught up into it.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They already spy on citizens under the Patriot act while ripping up the constitution. One good terrorist attack and i have no doubt that Trump and his goons will take the 'next step' if they are even mulling banning people from entering the country. It doesn't matter what the constitution says if they think they can do it.

THen we'll really have war in the streets. People WILL protest, start riots, everything they need to do. There will be a resistance but nothing will seperate America from any backwater nation that brings out armies to stop protest in the streets. We will be not different from China's past actions.

I'm just worrried about this type of action leading to civil war, I believe that our rights shouldn't be violated like that, I just hope there will be a way to do it without leading more violent means of stopping it.
The Tree of Liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. It is it's natural manure.

I'd hope that if this ever happens the West Coast and Northeast refuse to enforce. Get a Constitutional crisis going, hopefully stomp it out before we have to resort to secession and civil war.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
then it probably means whatever they're trying to achieve is inefficient.
Would they care though? They want to deport millions of Mexicans and register Muslims. I don't think these guys are going to be sweating over minor details such as targeting the wrong group of brown people. They'll probably see it as a net-positive.

Cerium

That was the court's opinion at the time. I think an honest interpretation makes targeting people by loose arbitrary characteristics clearly unconstitutional.

You can't have equal protection and treat innocent people differently.

After Trump finishes stacking the court your opinion isn't going to matter.

RiZ III

Well in a country where Sikhs, Hindus, and darker toned Italians get mistaken for Muslims, if they go ahead and do this expect many non Muslims to get caught up into it.

I imagine they would start by arresting imams around the country and shutting down mosques. It would probably start somewhat discreet with the feds showing up at peoples doors, questioning them and then detaining them even if they aren't charged with anything. People would simply start to disappear. It's all legal under the Patriot Act.

I imagine they would start by arresting imams around the country and shutting down mosques. It would probably start somewhat discreet with the feds showing up at peoples doors, questioning them and then detaining them even if they aren't charged with anything. People would simply start to disappear. It's all legal under the Patriot Act.

This is what I fear most. That it just starts so slowly and quietly most people do not even notice it is happening.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Would Americans let camps happen? Or would it end in an uprising against the government ?

I honestly think that would be something that would have people fighting in the streets. I think most minority groups are clued in enough to realize that any oppressive group that relies on one scape goat to blame all the issues and problems on, then they will always rely on that method. When the Muslims are rounded up and things are not fixed, who is going to be the next on the head on the chopping block? The LGBT community? African Americans? Latinos?

Cerium

I honestly think that would be something that would have people fighting in the streets. I think most minority groups are clued in enough to realize that any oppressive group that relies on one scape goat to blame all the issues and problems on, then they will always rely on that method. When the Muslims are rounded up and things are not fixed, who is going to be the next on the head on the chopping block? The LGBT community? African Americans? Latinos?

Latinos will be next on the agenda, and The Blacks after them.

There will be unrest in the cities but once the National Guard gets called in there won't really be any recourse.

ISIS and other groups like them are going to do everything they can to attack America, in an effort to make this happen. It will divide America even further and our guaranteed extreme reaction to such an attack will radicalize more of the Muslim community. If they succeed we need to be ready to fight in a unified front. Against both terrorism and a willful erosion of civil rights.

tirminyl

Trump: Maybe we should give slavery a try again. Lets give it a nicer name like indentured servitude. That's no as scary sounding as slavery.

That is called prison. Slavery is constitutionally legal if you're convicted.

Tinfoil hat says, first they limit your constitutional right to freely assemble, and take on the freedom of the press. Next they push their agenda but media is locked in what they report. If people protest, you are now a felon, so will you still do it? Would you still speak out knowing that everything will be ripped away from you? So now a few are silenced to keep what they have as they watch others, and their own, rights continue to be trampled over. Hmm, that sounds like a good tv script in the works. Time to break out Finaldraft.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
This won't happen.

Trust me - if there's some sort of terrorist attack and Trump issues an order to round up Muslims, millions of Americans will come out to protect them from law enforcement or whoever the hell it is that tries to arrest and move them.

It'll be a huge mess, but Muslims will not be rounded up. Non-Muslims will come together and help them, shelter them, protest for them.

It won't happen. Not without a huge national fight and lots of angry protesting and probably rioting too.

Empathetic Senators and Congressmen will be right there defending their rights too.

Fuck Trump and all his supporters. They'll have to arrest White Christians & Jews in order get to the Muslims. I don't see the Trump going that far.

You have a lot more faith in white America than I do.

Couldn't even get off their asses enough to vote this dude out of the White House, and you think somebody's gonna step between a gun and a Muslim?

Can't see it.

saelz8

Think about it.

It's in year 3 of the Trump presidency, Trump has stacked the Supreme Court with his picks and republicans control every branch of government. Let's say a terrorist attack occurs, which based on some of Trump picks as of yet, seem ever more likely (They are going to bungle it, as they won't be as qualified). This argument is going to be made. It already is by some. That's why we have this thread and I don't think we should assume it will stop at just Muslim Immigrants. Assumptions are why Trump is president. I said it before and I'll say it again. Don't put ANYTHING past America and don't put ANYTHING past the propensity of man to do or believe the horrific in face of fear, whether that fear is real or manufactured.

Apdiddy

This won't happen.

I agree and I really hope it doesn't happen, but part of me thinks it will.

In major cities like Atlanta, NYC, Chicago, LA and Washington D.C., there will be protests and fighting to prevent it.

But in places like my hometown and other rural areas, this is welcomed, even cheered. We got a sheriff who authorized going around and capturing illegal immigrants without any regards to them as people.

Despite the fact that it goes against the very principles of America.

For a lot of Trump supporters, complacency and fear have overtaken common sense and decency.

This won't happen.

Seeing how quickly everyone is rolling over and accepting the new status quo, I really doubt the Muslim registry will be as controversial as you think it is.

"well registering them is better than imprisoning all of them" will turn into "interning them is better than just deporting all of them" soon enough.

This won't happen.

It won't happen like that, rights will be gradually eroded in easily digested chunks. Each blow to civil liberties won't be enough to attract opposition from both sides of the senate/congress and a couple of years down the line we'll look back and wonder how the fuck things got this bad.

btNUnXS.jpg
Except we as a country didn't say that. We as a country elected the man who did that.

are they really going to send my family to a camp...

how do you even decide officially who is and isn't a Muslim

if you're part of a Muslim family are you a Muslim?

if you got a Muslim name are you a Muslim?

how are they gonna regulate this shit

Color skin, name, ethnicity, country of origin.
Looks like I ain't stepping a feet into USA for a veryyyyy long time.

grumble

If our elected officials fail us then we have to take matters in to our own hands. I don't think it'll ever come to that though.

It's funny being a nation of laws when the people in power can just change the laws. Makes you realize the difference between illegal and wrong, or legal and right. A national database of Muslims is a massive step in the wrong direction and is arguably treasonous against western values of liberty, respect and human dignity.

Hitler started with the gold stars....

Sami+

I've had friends get kind of concerned at how angry this election has made me. Not sad or concerned for the nation, but absolutely fuming that such a vast number of Americans either don't care or outright hate us.

My father came to this country with nothing. He struggled to make ends meet for himself, worked odd jobs and long hours to support a newly formed household with my mother - also an immigrant. They spent months sleeping on the floor because they couldn't afford a bed. He finished school at 28 as a father, working full time all the way. Everything I have and all the opportunities I've gotten in my life I have him to thank for, and all because his life was the embodiment of the American Dream. The ideal that you can start with NOTHING, work hard and make a living.

And people want to take that away because he's Muslim. Because my mother and sisters wear a hijab. How can people think this way? What more do they want from us? What more do Arabs and Muslims have to do to finally be treated like Americans?

The Republican Party of today is a great evil that will drive this country into ruin. From the bottom of my heart I have a deep and passionate hatred and anger toward the people that made this possible and I don't think it'll ever go away.

djkimothy

Although i doubt this will ever happen. I'm sure Canada would allow for americans to seek asylum and startup another underground railroad number 2. Hopefully it will never come to that.

This won't happen.

So why didn't millions of Americans come out and support us when a candidate ran on the promise of discriminating against Muslims? If there's no way this can happen, how was he even allowed to continue running let alone get elected after making those statements? I don't doubt that people will fight, but I think there are enough out there who are okay with this to where we cant just pretend that it's impossible.

Zips

It won't happen like that, rights will be gradually eroded in easily digested chunks. Each blow to civil liberties won't be enough to attract opposition from both sides of the senate/congress and a couple of years down the line we'll look back and wonder how the fuck things got this bad.

Exactly. It's the salami tactics decline of rights and freedoms. At what point do the people turn to open rebellion and violence? When the majority are not directly threatened, many will just keep their heads down.

As an asian (chinese) american this shit infuriates me; how is this option even on the fucking table? Precedent my ass, of course there's a a fucking precedent, one that should serve as a warning not an example of repetition.

Trump is going to bring out some of his black voodoo magic that he used to win the election to make sure this happens. This country is going to crazy, and it's going to spill over into the other nations of the world. It already kinda has and that fool isn't even in the WH yet.. Sigh this is scary.

So why didn't millions of Americans come out and support us when a candidate ran on the promise of discriminating against Muslims? If there's no way this can happen, how was he even allowed to continue running let alone get elected after making those statements? I don't doubt that people will fight, but I think there are enough out there who are okay with this to where we cant just pretend that it's impossible.

👍👍👍

Ryzaki009

I've had friends get kind of concerned at how angry this election has made me. Not sad or concerned for the nation, but absolutely fuming that such a vast number of Americans either don't care or outright hate us.

My father came to this country with nothing. He struggled to make ends meet for himself, worked odd jobs and long hours to support a newly formed household with my mother - also an immigrant. They spent months sleeping on the floor because they couldn't afford a bed. He finished school at 28 as a father, working full time all the way. Everything I have and all the opportunities I've gotten in my life I have him to thank for, and all because his life was the embodiment of the American Dream. The ideal that you can start with NOTHING, work hard and make a living.

And people want to take that away because he's Muslim. Because my mother and sisters wear a hijab. How can people think this way? What more do they want from us? What more do Arabs and Muslims have to do to finally be treated like Americans?

The Republican Party of today is a great evil that will drive this country into ruin. From the bottom of my heart I have a deep and passionate hatred and anger toward the people that made this possible and I don't think it'll ever go away.

I feel you on that anger and hate because I'm feeling like that myself. It's an awful feeling but I can just feel it simmering ready to explode and I just don't know what to do with it.

You're not alone is all I can say at least.

ISIS and other groups like them are going to do everything they can to attack America, in an effort to make this happen. It will divide America even further and our guaranteed extreme reaction to such an attack will radicalize more of the Muslim community. If they succeed we need to be ready to fight in a unified front. Against both terrorism and a willful erosion of civil rights.

Yeah it's a very perfect plan if they get it off. But thankfully the US has very ridiculous standards for immigration at the moment.

This won't happen.

Nice that you have faith, but I also had faith that America wouldn't vote Trump into office.

Geist-

I live next to a Muslim family, they moved here from Iraq 5 years ago so the dad could pursue a degree in engineering (currently working on his Master's) and I know without a doubt that I will be outside picking a fight with a police officer if they ever decide to round them up.

Fuck the petty bullshit that these fearmongers peddle to keep people on their side of thinking.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
How would this even work? First amendment?

The only rule in the Constitution is the Second Amendment. Everything else is just a suggestion.

grumble

After Trump finishes stacking the court your opinion isn't going to matter.

This is true. With the cooperation of the house, the senate, the Supreme Court, and state legislature (only one short of freedom to amend Constitution!) this situation could get worse, not better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom