• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germans now find US as trustworthy as Russia, poll shows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wonder if you guys will have any allies left by the time he is done. He is burning one bridge after the other. Decades of work being undone in days.

Really dont envy the next guy that walks into that office. The clean up will be immense and take years.

Indeed.

I've said it before, but the one benefit of Brexit and Trump seems to be that it makes the rest of the EU more eager to work together and form a stronger whole. Those two incredibly, depressingly bad examples did shine a light on what would happen if you really decide to burn the house down, and it isn't pretty. The cost was too high, but (and this is depending on the multiple elections coming up), there is a chance that what remains of the EU will come out of his in a stronger, more cohesive position.

That's what I'm hoping for as well. Still, I remain a bit skeptical about that because it's not like all the internal problems of the EU have suddenly vanished. Greece is still a total mess; Italy is still that economic super-vulcano that could go off any day and wreak total havoc; Brexit will, in all likelihood, hurt the UK far more than the EU, but it's still going to hurt; over in Hungary, Orban is still being a authoritarian dick; same goes for the right-wing government in Poland, which to the best of my knowledge still doesn't think too highly about kinda important things such as separation of powers; etc.

I mean, it's great to see a renewed commitment to the European idea by the soon to be 27 member states. A newly emerging external threat (or potential threat) could indeed have at least a positive effect in this regard. I'm just not sure whether "commitment" and "will" alone are going to be enough to, I guess, make Europe great again...

Sojgat

giphy.gif

Jisgsaw

This poll is strangely worded. They don't trust him because he does what he says?

These are three different, unrelated question, which the polster agrees to or not.
You can find it a good thing that a politician follows up on his campaign promises, while not agreeing with said promises.

Kinda related: did someone keep track on all his promises? I'm pretty sure he promised everything and its opposite, so there must be lots of promises he won't ever fulfill.

Fox Mulder

No one should trust us going forward. Even if the Dems get back in power in 4 years or Trump leaves today, it just takes one narrow and divided election to throw the country off the tracks and destroy decades of work and relations.

Ardenyal

Please understand that there are many, MANY of us within America who are also baffled. And EXTREMELY upset at him, what he is doing, and those who voted for him. Many of us are doing what we can to speak out and change things as best we can.

You have been sidelined. You are invisible. Your opinion doesn't matter.

Boem

Don't worry America the Eurotrumps are on their way, they'll fuck things up and equalize everything.

For instance if Geert WIlders gets the majority vote, the more stupid of his voters will scream "YEAH NOW LEAVE THE EU! AND PUT UP A WALL!" as well. LIke he can decide that by himself :p. (He can't ;))

The upside of Geert Wilders becoming PM (dear god in heaven don't let that happen) is that he won't be able to form a coalition willing to work with him, and the way our government is set up he won't be able to push through on leaving the EU and building a wall between us and the Belgians, no matter how much he would like that. The government would simply fall, much as it did in the Balkenende days (aka Kopspijker's glory days).

Don't get me wrong, it would definitely be bad if Wilders would win, but he simply couldn't be as damaging to our country as Trump is to the US.

The fact that we're a relatively small country with a relatively strong governmental system really works in our favor. I know it's dangerous these days to make these kinds of statements, but it'll be a cold day in hell before Wilders can make us leave the EU.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Don't worry America the Eurotrumps are on their way, they'll fuck things up and equalize everything.

For instance if Geert WIlders gets the majority vote, the more stupid of his voters will scream "YEAH NOW LEAVE THE EU! AND PUT UP A WALL!" as well. LIke he can decide that by himself :p. (He can't ;))

Schulz will not only rescue germany and then all of europe, but also the US

PJV3

I'm hoping the Trump shitshow will kill off some support for the right wing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom