• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Germans trust China now more than the US

klaus

DWO-AP-Russland-USA-sk-jpg.jpg

Another interesting information, how the US and Russia see each other; the blue line is how the US sees Russia, the yellow how Russia sees the US

Small correction: the black line is how Russia sees the US and the yellow how the US sees Russia.

barit

Only 59% trust during the Obama administraton, which shows they probably just don't really like the U.S. no matter who's in charge.

Still, dat drop. Yeesh

That has probably mostly to do with the Iraq invasion under Bush. That was a huge blow for America´s reputation over here. More so when all the lies were revealed later on (mass destruction weapons yada yada). And the whole world still suffers from it.

YourMaster

Only 59% trust during the Obama administraton, which shows they probably just don't really like the U.S. no matter who's in charge.

Still, dat drop. Yeesh

It's not about not liking, it is about trust. And you have a very volatile system, not a single person to look to with countries with an unelected strongman, not as stable as full and proper democracies.

Sure, Obama seemed to be a fine president, but that doesn't mean real democracies are more trustworthy. What happened this year is a prime example on why the US can't be trusted, power can swing to a random nut-job on a moments notice, having earlier commitments, agreements and directions overturned.

Leave it to Trump and the neonazi racist scumbags to make the US hold less international trust than a friggin communist dictatorship.

I have no love for our leadership nor trust in it, but I would still rather live here than in China for fucks sake. This shit is depressing.

Ladekabel

At least where I live people still call them "Schlitzauge" occasionally. Though surprising, since whenever I am forced to listen to the radio or tune into TV I often hear a slight negative tone when talking about Chinese (or Asian people in general). Just yesterday a moderator on radio talked about his vacation and how it was hard to relax because the whole area in Southern Germany was "in Chinese and Asian hands". Good because they bring money though. Or a TV movie from a few years ago about a swabian family company fighting Chinese investors.

Edit.: Woops, read the numbers for China wrong. Thouht it was more trust than not trust.

That Britain is still trusted so much is a bit surprising, too, though I guess many older people here want to leave the EU, too, and probably because they watch Inspector Barnaby everyday.

GCX

Leave it to Trump and the neonazi racist scumbags to make the US hold less international trust than a friggin communist dictatorship.

I have no love for our leadership nor trust in it, but I would still rather live here than in China for fucks sake. This shit is depressing.
Trust is based on reliability and continuity. While there's a number of things that most western countries disagree with China, it's still a pretty reliable and predictable partner to do business with.

The current US government however is a wild card. It isn't easy to trust someone who can do and say the most unpredictable stuff depending on the mood of the day.

Fred-87

Trump and his allies are actively trying to dismantle the EU and hand Europe to Putin on a platter.

I bet if you asked the question. Do you trust american liberals/ Barack Obama ? Most people would answer yes. The problem is with the other half of the country.

Not sure man. Some of the policy's of Obama i think were great but a lot of them are considered on the same level as our right-wing party. So even your most liberal president would be same as what we considere our main right party.

Now i dont know if this is the fault of Obama or because he was held back.

Trust is based on reliability and continuity. While there's a number of things that most western countries disagree with China, it's still a pretty reliable and predictable partner to do business with.

The current US government however is a wild card. It isn't easy to trust someone who can do and say the most unpredictable stuff depending on the mood of the day.

Oh yeah I get that totally. It's just a shame that trust has little to do with how the country's rulers treat their citizens. It's probably just my Americanism coming out, but sacrificing freedom for stability (and thus trust from other nations)isnt my cup of tea.

It would be interesting to find out how many of the people that trust China over the US would want to curtail their freedoms and live there.

I do feel like as the world slides further and further into choatic events, that there might be a strong resurgence in dictatorship-style governments.

FStubbs

Not sure man. Some of the policy's of Obama i think were great but a lot of them are considered on the same level as our right-wing party. So even your most liberal president would be same as what we considere our main right party.

Now i dont know if this is the fault of Obama or because he was held back.

A bit of both.

I mean, nearly half the country (the better armed half) is comprised of Nazis.

Lagamorph

Quite frankly I'm amazed at Britain being so high given recent events.

Unless they're counting "You can trust Britain to fuck it up" in which case I'm amazed it's so low.

FStubbs

Are you saying half the population of the US is nazis? Are you really saying that or am I misreading something?

That is exactly what I'm saying. That's why Trump won. It's why police get away with killing minorities and the GOP runs a thinly veiled white nationalist platform and wins on every level of government.

Would be interesting to see international trust (among other things) ratings of Democrats and Republicans separately. Just something to see whether or not people from other countries view the US populace as a monolith or not.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
Would be interesting to see international trust (among other things) ratings of Democrats and Republicans separately. Just something to see whether or not people from other countries view the US populace as a monolith or not.

To complicated, most people would not be able to answer.

Xando

No one really cares. For the outside the president represents what your country is.

I missed this thread the first time around. Glad to see our german bros trust us frenchies :)
I bet the numbers would be pretty much the same the other way around, same with our trust regarding China / the US.

It's amazing how Trump has utterly destroyed the amount of goodwill Obama had generated in such a short amount of time. As I said in another thread yesterday, these wounds will take decades to heal, if they ever do. Trump has siginificantly weakened his country internationally and China will reap most of the benefits.

Edit:
I think a lot of people are aware of the difference between Republicans and Democrats but they don't necessarily know about the electoral college and that Trump actually got fewer votes. Which is why there is the perception of America as a monolith who is fucking up big time right now.

Nerazar

I trust the US, but I won't trust Trump. It's getting better, though, because all the Bannons in the cabinet are losing ground. And a reigned in Trump will not cause too much damage.

However, a lot was lost since the election, for sure. Still, after Trump, it can only get better than that.

To complicated, most people would not be able to answer.
No one really cares. For the outside the president represents what your country is.
Probably tired, but when I read the title and OP at first I saw it as Germans "trust chinese now more than americans". That is why I thought it would be interesting an interesting question. That said, I can't imagine many political parties more infamous than the US Republican party, so I figured more than insignificant amount of people would be able to tell a difference between the two parties. Guess that probably wouldn't be the case.

patapuf

China >>>> US

Sooner the world accepts China as the superpower the better.

The US declining doesn't make China it's replacments. They have nowhere the economic, diplomatic or cultural clout the US had at it's peak.

We'll get a world with multiple strong blocks rather than the US towering above all.

The US declining doesn't make China it's replacments. They have nowhere the economic, diplomatic or cultural clout the US had at it's peak.

We'll get a world with multiple strong blocks rather than the US towering above all.
Great point. Probably is more likely too.

I'm all for it. The time of the US sitting at the top of the table is greatly outstaying it's welcome. Let's have a roundtable instead.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

China isn't that far behind ecconomically. In neither nominal GDP or ppp gdp. In fact they're ahead on ppp GDP.

Friendship ended with GERMANY
Now RUSSIA is my best friend

On a serious note, how do Trump supporters defend the deterioration of all foreign relations?

Na, that's probably just a really, really uneducated person. I refuse to believe that the average American (or even a significant part of Americans) thinks Europe is a country and that all of us speak French. I mean... what.

I mean, I was exaggerating of course and was strictly speaking about Trump supporters. But I doubt they care whatsoever about what's going on outside of their borders when US troops are not involved. Our opinions about America are irrelevant to them. In their mind, USA is #1, period.

BasicMath

It shouldn't surprise anyone after our last move was to say "Fuck you" to them by imposing sanctions on Russia that negatively affect them. All while they constantly tried to tell us to not do that. But hey, we gotta sell our crap somehow.

So thanks, Congress.

Top Bottom