• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disapproval increasing, & Americans trust the media more than Trump (Quinnipac Poll)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DOWN

Banned
Previous poll from this institution said 51% disapprove. Now 55% disapprove.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/02/22/politics/donald-trump-approval-rating-quinnipiac-poll/index.html
Thirty-eight percent of American voters said they trust Trump to do the right thing "almost all of the time" or "most of the time," while 61% said they trust him to do what is right "some of the time" or "hardly ever."

Inversely, 58% of voters reported they trust US courts to do the right thing "almost all of the time" or "most of the time," while 40% said they trust the courts to do what is right "some of the time" or "hardly ever." Fifty-nine percent of American voters approved of court actions blocking Trump's travel ban, a revision of which is expected this week.

A majority of voters polled, 55%, said they think Trump was not honest and does not have good leadership skills. An even greater number, 60%, reported Trump does not share their values.

Meanwhile, a combined 90% of those surveyed said they believe it's "very important" or "somewhat important" that journalists "hold public officials accountable." Though 50% of American voters said they disapprove of how news organizations have covered Trump, an even greater number -- 61% -- said they disapprove of how Trump portrayed the media.

And 52% reported trusting the media over Trump to "tell you the truth about important issues."
Voters' opinions varied according to gender. Thirty-six percent of women said they approve of Trump's performance while 41% of men did. The President's negative approval rating among independent voters was found to be 38%-55%.
Fifty-eight percent of American voters said they believe Trump's actions are dividing the country; 36 percent said he is working to unite it.

Quinnipiac University employed live interviewers calling landlines and cell phones to survey 1,323 voters across the country between February 16 and 21. The poll has a margin error of +/- 2.7 percentage points.
Discard if old

Damaniel

Banned
At least there's still a bit of sanity out there these days.

Meanwhile, a combined 90% of those surveyed said they believe it's "very important" or "somewhat important" that journalists "hold public officials accountable." Though 50% of American voters said they disapprove of how news organizations have covered Trump, an even greater number -- 61% -- said they disapprove of how Trump portrayed the media.

I wonder what percentage of these 50% feel that the media has been too positive to Trump versus those that feel that the coverage is too negative. I'd consider myself part of that 50%, but it''s certainly not because the media has been unfair to him - they need to be calling him out even more (and stop using euphemisms instead of just calling him an outright liar).

I'm getting really tired of seeing "The Media" lumped together.

That's about as constructive as saying as Black people are... or all Gay people are...

The media is made up of several different facets. Some old, some new, some trustworthy, some garbage, some with minimal bias, some with bias strictly for ad revenue.

Like, if someone asked me if I trusted the media, the first response should be, well, which one? CNN? Fox? New York Times? The Sun? Daily Mail? The Onion?

Because I gotta say, it fucking matters.

we already know the WH response they said any negative polls which by extension would mean any negative ratings or antagonizing news are fake polls and fake news

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I wonder what percentage of these 50% feel that the media has been too positive to Trump versus those that feel that the coverage is too negative. I'd consider myself part of that 50%, but it''s certainly not because the media has been unfair to him - they need to be calling him out even more (and stop using euphemisms instead of just calling him an outright liar).

This is something that was observed in polling about the ACA. Many early polls asked about whether the respondent supported or did not support the ACA and the resulting top line was always narrow opposition to the ACA. But polls that further asked people who opposed why they opposed it found that many opposed it for not going far enough. Failing to ask that question strikes me as totally irresponsible in terms of what it does to your reporting.

RDreamer

I'm getting really tired of seeing "The Media" lumped together.

That's about as constructive as saying as Black people are... or all Gay people are...

The media is made up of several different facets. Some old, some new, some trustworthy, some garbage, some with minimal bias, some with bias strictly for ad revenue.

Like, if someone asked me if I trusted the media, the first response should be, well, which one? CNN? Fox? New York Times? The Sun? Daily Mail? The Onion?

Because I gotta say, it fucking matters.

This bothers me, too.

And then adding "mainstream" media makes it weird in another way. What's mainstream exactly? If Fox is the most popular of the networks aren't they mainstream media? If the guy that owned Breitbart is now an on the national security council and advisor to the president aren't they mainstream? If Tomi Lauren gets more views on her shit than The Daily Show is she mainstream?

This is something that was observed in polling about the ACA. Many early polls asked about whether the respondent supported or did not support the ACA and the resulting top line was always narrow opposition to the ACA. But polls that further asked people who opposed why they opposed it found that many opposed it for not going far enough. Failing to ask that question strikes me as totally irresponsible in terms of what it does to your reporting.

I agree, some poll questions are too broad to the point they fail to poke at specifics.

like if someone wants Single Payer, for sure they won't like ACA in its current state even though they know that ACA is better than nothing

It's fake news people. Trump is always right. I think he should create a new religion where he is the deity. He is above all humans and can never make mistakes. The media are a bunch of haters and are super jealous of Trump. Trump will get rid of all journalist and then we can live in our walled cities hiding under the blankets because God Trump said that there brown people out to get us.

It's fake news people. Trump is always right. I think he should create a new religion where he is the deity. He is above all humans and can never make mistakes. The media are a bunch of haters and are super jealous of Trump. Trump will get rid of all journalist and then we can live in our walled cities hiding under the blankets because God Trump said that there brown people out to get us.
but what is a god to a nonbeliever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom