• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GF bought a Nintendo Switch from a 3rd party on Amazon.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
She found one listed as brand new, and the list was at 199.99

On a whim she bought it, we're awaiting to see what random stuff we get shipped to us in a box of a Nintendo Switch. Luckily her order is backed by Amazon if this is indeed what I feel might be that a scam.

I just have thoughts running through my head we'll end up like that guy who ordered that TV from Slickdeals that arrived smashed into a hundred pieces.

Pic of your GF's package.

6dfd1e3fd3de5d7bcf3df94000d5299e.jpg

The Hermit

She found one listed as brand new, and the list was at 199.99

On a whim she bought it, we're awaiting to see what random stuff we get shipped to us in a box of a Nintendo Switch. Luckily her order is backed by Amazon if this is indeed what I feel might be that a scam.

I just have thoughts running through my head we'll end up like that guy who ordered that TV from Slickdeals that arrived smashed into a hundred pieces.

That blame space thread was amazing.

Post the contents

The thing though is the person selling it has a vast Amazon store, and seems to be a regular seller.

She's hoping that it's a case that this person bought it for their kid(s), they misbehaved, and now are selling it to spite the kid(s).

Zaheer

Yeah, that's a scam.

There's a thread about this on Reddit, too: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSw...sa_be_careful_ordering_from_amazon_right_now/

The thing though is the person selling it has a vast Amazon store, and seems to be a regular seller.

She's hoping that it's a case that this person bought it for their kid(s), they misbehaved, and now are selling it to spite the kid(s).

Some sellers are saying that their accounts have been hacked.

Also, who buys a $300+ system and sells it for $200 to spite their kid? The thing released less than three weeks ago. If it's brand new, why not return it?

rjinaz

Anything under the description? Like broken? Under your order details.

Also that link above is saying accounts are being hacked.

Wouldn't be brand new then

Jawmuncher

Yeah the scamming of lower items has gotten really bad as of late. Yeah you're backed by amazon, but who knows the info these people are getting from you with just your address.

Why not?

Parents buy something for their kids, they do something really bad before they get the gift, parents get rid of said gift.
If it's sealed she could easily return it instead of taking a $100+ L and go through the hassle of selling/shipping. Switch isn't even a month old.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
I'm sure it's someone just being generous. People are nice like that. Congrats on your new Nintendo Switch.

darscot

Why not?

Parents buy something for their kids, they do something really bad before they get the gift, parents get rid of said gift.

Because parents would be really dumb to sell gift for less than they paid when it can be easily sold at a profit.

People who do this and just respond with "lol, i'm protected by amazon"... facepalm.gif

You do realize identity theft is a thing, and once you know someone's full name, their address, phone number, and email address you are working with a LOT of data that can then used be used to get even more data and stir up a world of shit?

Sure, its information you can obtain on anyone, but now someone out there has that info on YOU and you already know they are a pretty shady person. I just don't get why you would take the risk. There is absolutely no chance you are actually getting a switch for $199, and the worst case scenario is NOT you get some crap and amazon refunds you in 3-4 weeks.

The worst case is that someone figures out your SSN, hacks your email account, and starts applying for credit cards and stuff in your identity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom