• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell (2017) Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Porridge

The truth is Scarlett Johansson might be the absolute best actress you could get for this role in 2017. I'm not saying no one else could have played it, but if you look at her career from the roles she's chosen to the money she's made, who else would have been a better choice? So, I think getting her was incredible. And she does a great job in the movie, too.

I understand wanting more Asians in big Hollywood film roles, but I don't understand dismissing Scarlett Johansson because of her skin color. That just feels weird. She's too good. I watched Lucy after she was announced for this film and after that movie I knew she was right.

I've been a fan of GITS since the '90s, too, and have seen the new movie two times in Imax. Will be going again.

Bishop89

I thought it was a well made film.
Visually great, soundtrack great, story was interesting and engaging, characters great.

Windam

Scaley member
I feel like this was a movie where if you went in with no knowledge of what Ghost in the Shell was beforehand, you would have enjoyed it, at least a bit. I know this was the case for my cousin. A shame we won't get a sequel, I'd love more movies set in this gorgeous cyberpunk world. Could have done with more Making of Cyborg, though.

Mesoian

The truth is Scarlett Johansson might be the absolute best actress you could get for this role in 2017. I'm not saying no one else could have played it, but if you look at her career from the roles she's chosen to the money she's made, who else would have been a better choice? So, I think getting her was incredible. And she does a great job in the movie, too.

I understand wanting more Asians in big Hollywood film roles, but I don't understand dismissing Scarlett Johansson because of her skin color. That just feels weird. She's too good. I watched Lucy after she was announced for this film and after that movie I knew she was right.

I've been a fan of GITS since the '90s, too, and have seen the new movie two times in Imax. Will be going again.

I think the problem is, after Lucy, we should have been a lot more wary about ScarJo playing an emotionless higher being in a scifi story.

She's done the role twice, and the twice the movie was mediocre to bad. Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, ghost in the shell.

LotusHD

Banned

An Asian actress

I'm not planning on spending money on this movie so I doubt I'll see it soon, but I was listening to the slashfilm podcast and they were actually saying the opposite. They thought her performance was bad-mediocre (and two of them are big ScarJo fans) and were surprised, given her history.

No one is "dismissing" her because of her skin color--they're saying it's unnecessary, at best, and at worst, indicative of a racist industry practice.

And that's outside of the horrible whitewashing integration into the story.

I'm right there with you, but it seems like people are just so incredibly hung up on the race thing. The film was fantastic, I enjoyed it, and so did the theater full of people where I saw it. All of this race thing just feels so blown out of proportion, it's a damn shame.

I'm right there with you, but it seems like people are just so incredibly hung up on the race thing. The film was fantastic, I enjoyed it, and so did the theater full of people where I saw it. All of this race thing just feels so blown out of proportion, it's a damn shame.

I think the Whitewashing accusations/controversy is complicated for this film and there are valid points on both sides, however it's definitely easier to feel the race thing is blown out of proportion if you're not really affected by it.

Gonna also reiterate, Batou was absolutely perfect. I loved his scenes with the Major and even on his own. The actor nailed him.
And Aramaki, goddamn, just as boss as ever.
I liked the international Section 9, so more time with them indeed would have been cool and is kind of a flaw (Togusa had a couple of short nice moments).

I immediately thought that I'd like a sequel starring Batou much like Innocence. I loved him in the movie.

I still haven't seen the film but I always thought ScarJo would fit the role even before she was cast in it. She was my first choice if you weren't going to go with an Asian actress.

Just got out and the movie was cheeks. They beat what used to be Ghost in the Shell to death with the Hollywood sap bat, complete with happy ending and inner monologue. It wasn't just an ass adaptation, it was an intelligence insulting movie.

For fucks sake, people are constantly saying "ghost" and "shell" like they're afraid you'll forget what movie you're there to watch.

MysticX

I really liked the movie, having seend most of the GITS stuff I can honestly say this was a good adaption.

Can´t wait to see the movie dubbed in japanese:
"For the Japanese dub of the film, the voice actors from Ghost in the Shell (1995) - Atsuko Tanaka (the Major), Akio Ôtsuka (Batou) and Kôichi Yamadera (Togusa) - reprise their roles."

Jake.

edit: sorry, bumped wrong thread.

finally saw it. i first saw the GITS anime when i was about 13 (i'm almost 30 now), and have seen a few random SAC episodes.

it was far from perfect, but way better than i expected. almost laughed at the tachikoma being called 'spider tank'.

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Just seen it. Good movie. Don't really know why it is hated as much as it is. The twist was alright, some spotty dialog to explain to the masses what's going on, no real world building and no real philosophical talk I remember the anime had (? ). Still a very good movie all around. But I like Man of steel (excluding the last 5min) so what do I know.

Pilgrimzero

Just got done with the live action Ghost in the Shell film.

I liked it.

Is it as philosophically deep as the anime? No. But it's got enough for what it was trying to do.

And yes, they should have hired an Asian actress for The Major. Or at the least left of the part about her really being Japanese in a white woman's body.

But still it was a neat film and I think it was judge a bit unfairly.

Visuals were awesome. Story worked as a lesser adaptation.

I recommend it.

Yeah why do people get hung up about a racist industry practice? It's such a shame people can't be as unaffected about this as me.

Christ.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Yeah why do people get hung up about a racist industry practice? It's such a shame people can't be as unaffected about this as me.

Christ.

So they cast Scar Jo because they're racist. It had nothing to do with casting an international movie star they thought would help the film make more money. smh. If they're guilty of anything it's greed over authenticity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom