• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost in the Shell (2017) Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nel e nel

Emma Stone was a pioneer.

Starring_Mickey_Rooney.jpg

Setsuna

As others have mentioned it's more like the freefall from 73% to 59% that's shocking people. 73% is "mostly watchable" while 59% is like "super divisive and or just bad".

Rotten tomatoes was made irrelevant the moment Gone in 60 seconds settled at 23%

Ovek

7Member7
Just finished watching this and from someone who is a big fan of GitS, I thought it was great and ScarJo was perfect as Major.

I quite liked the "twist", it was also a big fuck you to all the "white washing" noise the YouTube/internet drama queens generated.

Send death threats if you disagree.

Arkeband

Banned
Just finished watching this and from someone who is a big fan of GitS, I thought it was great and ScarJo was perfect as Major.

I quite liked the "twist", it was also a big fuck you to all the "white washing" noise the YouTube/internet drama queens generated.

It's pretty obvious who has seen the movie and who hasn't - people are really clinging to these angry face thumbnail YouTube copypasta videos. "Can u believe it?!?! (like comment and subscribe!)"

The jokes comparing this to Mickey Rooney or Emma Stone are depressingly ignorant.

They could have done a
body switch at the end to an asian body or black body or latina or whatever and I would have applauded them for it. But nope. Gotta keep Scarjo in case it becomes a franchise.

Like I said in the other thread, there wasn't really a precedent for the
body change in the original
besides typical anime lolicon fixation so it would have been even more nonsensical here.

And also, no shit they want to keep ScarJo.

zethren

Banned
Big fan of Ghost in the Shell, and I saw the movie last night. Aside from some hammy dialog here and there, it was an entertaining live action anime adaptation. There was actually more substance than I anticiapted out of it, as all I was expecting was a CG nonstop action fest.

I went in thinking it would be pretty bad, hoping it would be pretty good, and came out pleasantly surprised.

Also ScarJo was a fine Major, first performance by her I really care for to be quite honest.

i really enjoyed it. the script was passable and it would have worked much better as a series, allowing for a much deeper insight into the characters and philosophical questions raised, but overall it was definitely enjoyable.
my main concern, aside from the inherent issue of diversity in mainstream western cinema, was the score which is a huge shock for me as i rate clint highly.

Well the history here is different dude

Her real name is Motoko Kusanagi.

They literally say it's an obvious alias like two pages into the comic.

Funniest thing about this "controversy" are the Americans trying to identify with a character that's all robot except for maybe a brain, because of her name. Kusanagi(草薙) is meant to be a title referring to legendary blade. It's like the name Stephanie Excalibur.

Pachinko

This movie has so much BS swirling around it , I both understand why anyone with Asian heritage would be pissed due this films casting but also understand understand why a studio in hollywood would do this.

Simply put - I feel they left this film in a weird limbo area - I still want to watch it so I can't say 100% for certain beyond trailers but they've set it in a nebulous sort of future hong kong but maybe not which isn't that much different than Oshii's film BUT they could have just pulled a blade runner and made it seem like it's just a future american megacity , fully adapt it into a north american made hollywood idea and use a cast that's as diverse as the country in which it's filmed.

Instead they seemingly want to keep the "mysterious asian cyberpunk super city" but still throw ton of white people in there. So , you piss off asians that feel exploited and underexposed in what could have been a break out role for an up and coming asian actress and the general movie going public doesn't really notice or care.

I mean, it's all about money really - they (hollywood execs) sadly do have the numbers to back up this seeming prejudice with casting. Audiences by and large will pass on films that don't feature white leads , this won't take into consideration the overall quality of a film (and it really should being honest) but somewhere an accountant in hollywood has a formula of what sort of story/genre sells combined with with sort of actors you can put for various returns and how much money it costs to make a film. Somewhere along the line during the production of GITS they realized they could probably increase brand awareness and overall box office receipts by 10% if they cast Scarlett as the Major. Thanks to the Marvel movies, people over the whole world know her as a big star actress. So while I understand the anger and frustration with not having your race represented fully on screen (and this goes for any movie really not just gits) because of the fact that I am just a random white dude , it doesn't make me angry. Just disappointed.

Due to this - I'm still interested in watching GITS , while I watch it , I plan to be critical of how the films world is depicted and whether the lack of an asian woman in the lead roll is a detriment to the film. I get the feeling that nothing would change but it would make ethnically asian people happier. From the standpoint of the people financing it though , well it's probably going to mean less money and really - if movies are meant to be taken in as works of art no matter how banal they might end up being - the box office shouldn't matter. Unfortunately, it DOES when a film costs more then 20 million to produce. Could this have been a great film to try and push an Asian cast ? yeah, that's why it's - again - disappointing that they didn't. It's not offensive enough to lead to a boycott from me but I'd probably feel different if I was Asian.

Zoe

They literally say it's an obvious alias like two pages into the comic.

Funniest thing about this "controversy" are the Americans trying to identify with a character that's all robot except for maybe a brain, because of her name. Kusanagi(草薙) is meant to be a title referring to legendary blade. It's like the name Stephanie Excalibur.
Again, her history in the manga or anime is totally different from the live action. You can't take facts from those and apply it here.

And Kusanagi is a real Japanese name.

Again, her history in the manga or anime is totally different from the live action. You can't take facts from those and apply it here.
The person I quoted said her "real" name in the new film is Motoko Kusanagi. As far as I know they only mention her first name.
And Kusanagi is a real Japanese name.

草彅 is a real Japanese name pronounced Kusanagi.
草凪 is another real Japanese name pronounced Kusanagi.
草薙 is a usually a mythical sword pronounced Kusanagi. And the name of some fictional characters usually related to mythical swords.

timberger

We went to see this earlier today and I gotta admit I really enjoyed it. Plot was dumbed down to shit compared to the original of course, but it was still a lot of fun.

I mean, it's all about money really - they (hollywood execs) sadly do have the numbers to back up this seeming prejudice with casting. Audiences by and large will pass on films that don't feature white leads

Yeah that's a myth that's isn't true. It's one of those cases where a lie repeated enough times became an established "truth".

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/h...-that-more-diverse-casts-help-the-bottom-line

And in one of these GITS threads someone posted a study from 2006 that said the same thing.

Just went it saw it, the movie was pretty decent! The cinematography and visuals are top notch, I'd love to see what they could do with a bigger budget. The story dumbed down slightly but still enjoyable, great music. Really liked the side characters a lot. I'd recommend it as an enjoyable film

Not

Banned
As a big fan of the original I really liked this and don't get the hate.

No one's saying you're a bad person for liking the movie. Other people have their own opinions. It can be weird when there's a lot of negativity for something you enjoy, but you have to be secure in what you think despite social interference.

Yeah that's a myth that's isn't true. It's one of those cases where a lie repeated enough times became an established "truth".

http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/h...-that-more-diverse-casts-help-the-bottom-line

And in one of these GITS threads someone posted a study from 2006 that said the same thing.

It's amazing how many myths white people would like to be true suddenly become factual evidence.

Has the movies score been released?
Even though the music wasn't as good as the original I quiet liked what Clint Mansell did.

I can only find the soundtrack with the various artists on itunes http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1219827/soundtrack but I'm looking for the Clint Mansell score.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tracksounds/status/847887508109131776

Looks like the release has been cancelled. Really a shame, as Clint Mansell's work is great. Maybe Mondo will pick it up and release it with some kick ass artwork, as they've been slowly releasing some of Clint's work on vinyl that was never released before.

VaeVictis

For anyone who
doesn't have a hard on for GitS bombing and
have seen the movie can you answer the question which song was used in the shelling sequence?
It was not the one I expected (anime version); odd, since they used that same sequence and song in their promotional material.

The movie was better than expected, and I echo the same faults others before me have offered : bad writing/dialogue/main plot.

The hate this movie is getting and the rationale people are putting behind their vitriol is putting many people on this forum to shame...

The Leewit

Neo Member
Cyberpunk bliss. It hit all the right chords for me, storywise, characters, and setting. And Motoko Kusanagi's presence is nicely integrated into this visual feast. And the music overall conveyed that cyberpunk wave, though I would have preferred something in the style of Vangelis in Bladerunner...and the end credit music pays homage to the original anime. Enjoyment: thumbs up.

Not

Banned
Fuck yes. Make a topic about a movie that explicitly implies that Asian people need to be white... literally... for audiences to care about them at all.

- J - D -

Okay, give me a moment, guys I'm gonna try and make the thread without spoiling the ending in the title while still pulling quotes from these articles.

edit: okay, thread's up

Jackpot

Banned
Watch out! They'll soon label you a liberal racist. I defended ScarJo's casting. Reasoning is that there are no Asian-American actresses who can carry a 120 million dollar niche sci-fi movie made from obscure anime/manga at the moment. The execs will not risk that budget on some unknown b-list actress. ScarJo will at least bring the minimum with her sex appeal.

Apparently I'm a racist. I also can't like beautiful Asian women, because that's racism as well. I also pointed out how manga and anime oppresses women, but apparently that's ok, because nobody took the bait and only wanted to talk how delusional I am. There are some very politically driven hypocritical people here, watch out. Most likely they haven't even seen the movie and never will, because these reasons. Movies are serious business, not entertainment.

Ugh, thank God this guy got kicked.

antovolk

For anyone who
doesn't have a hard on for GitS bombing and
have seen the movie can you answer the question which song was used in the shelling sequence?
It was not the one I expected (anime version); odd, since they used that same sequence and song in their promotional material.

It's an original cue from (I believe) Lorne Balfe inspired by the Kawai original (hence the sparse sound and the choir).

What Mansell originally had for the sequence was a lot further away from the original but it was a *lot* more awesome.
Again for those a bit let down by the score - Lorne Balfe re-did quite a few bits of it at the 11th hour for whatever reason.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
It's an original cue from (I believe) Lorne Balfe inspired by the Kawai original (hence the sparse sound and the choir).

What Mansell originally had for the sequence was a lot further away from the original but it was a *lot* more awesome.
Again for those a bit let down by the score - Lorne Balfe re-did quite a few bits of it at the 11th hour for whatever reason.

Sounds like this movie could use a directors cut with what Mansell originally intended

sun-drop

Perfect. And yeh, it's in the title, her body is a freaking shell, the twist actually just underlines this with a heavy marker pen so all the whitewasher alarmists can maybe get it.. Apparently not..

You guys who thought Scarlett was the perfect Major need to rewatch literally any of the old adaptations. She acted very little like her. I feel like the director told her to channel Lucy when she should've been channelling Black Widow

So I saw the movie.....and I gotta admit, the movie itself, is solid, good even. Music was Amazing. Directing was great. They nailed cyberpunk to a T.

But I couldn't help the whole time thinking "man, this would have been perfect with an Asian actress" everytime I saw Scarjo. It just kept annoying me through the whole film.

Then after the twist it's like...really? I mean, the implication of it is just kinda ridiculous. Good film but so flawed because of casting. I mean, this would have been a 9/10 film with a good Asian actress. I firmly believe this.

Also, Batou was dope

rpmurphy

Just got back from seeing it.

The juxtaposition between the breathtaking visuals and the plot was indeed very interesting to watch. I had a hunch about it going in, but it's hard to prepare for such a weird
outcome, such as this film is. Visually, this adaption of Ghost in the Shell is absolutely breathtaking. I don't know if I've ever seen such a beautifully shot CGI film before. The visual world building was a masterclass, and the visual artists that crafted it are amazing at their work. I really felt that the world was faithfully adapted from the original film. Unfortunately, the beautiful world was completely dead and hollow. The acting in this film was terrible. Apart from Scarlett Johansson and a couple of others such as Kitano Takeshi, made me cringe multiple times. The delivery between the actors felt flat and phoned in more times than I bothered to count, which was disappointing. They certainly weren't convincing anyone. Also, I felt that Rupert Sanders really doesn't know how to deliver tone and feeling. The cutting in this film felt disjointed, and many scenes felt rushed and awkwardly inserted, which just made it feel illogical and frankly amateurish. The film is trying to hit so many story points without really hitting anyone, switching scene to scene without any fluidity. The organic unfolding that the film should of had felt technically forced and rough around the edges. Very sloppy. Section 9 were featured so little in this film that there weren't any connection to any of the characters, which I thought was a shame. Togusa and the rest of the team should of had a bigger part in this film, and unfortunately, they were almost written out. As for Scarlett, I thought she did a solid job considering what she was working with. The script was absolutely amateur, but she did her part as best as she could of, which I liked. I'm glad that she didn't phone it in like so many others in this film. Battou was also solid in this. The interaction between Major and Battou was on point, which I liked.

Now, onto the spoiler territory (be warned, spoilers about the 95 film ahead as well).
The thing about the original film is that Motoko Kusunagi was living in a world that wasn't black and white. It was an ambiguous world with ambiguous reasons. The discovery of the self and the journey towards the truth was masterfully crafted in the original film. Motoko was genuinely trying to discover the reasons behind her being, and the world around her, and her resolve felt so much more powerful than what it did in this. We never really find out who she really was in the original film, and the ambiguity and uncertainty reflects and alludes to the philosophical idea about our own existence. Why are we really here? Who are we really? The movie isn't really trying to answer that question, but is instead asking that question to the audience. That's the exact opposite what they did here, which I feel misses the entire point. We shouldn't really know who the Major really was before, because that's irrelevant for us. It's not about the goal, but the journey towards the goal. That's why I felt that they mishandled the second and the third act. The twist switch that they went with in this one felt flat and unconvincing, and also made Kuze a shadow of what the Puppetmaster was in the original film. It's unfortunate that the philosophical elements that made the original movie the cult classic that it is, wasn't carried over into this adaption. The exploration of the consciousness mind, where the borders between sentient and artificial life merges was masterfully crafted in the original. The idea that A.I could reach a higher transcendent state that could make them become sentient begs the question of what life really is. If a machine can think for itself, does it mean that it's "alive"? As the famous Descartes once said in order to prove his existence: Cogito ergo sum, I think, therefore I am. Major might of been a human brain in a robot body, the Ghost in the Shell, but she too struggled with her existence of being. The problem with this adaption is that the movie is trying to answer all the questions that it shallowly brings forth, and it does it in a unfulfilling way. We never really connect with Major or her past, since she learns her true reason for existing in this film. The uncertainty about her background should of been prevalent throughout the film, since her journey towards discovery is what makes her human.
The soundtrack was forgettable in this, and didn't do much to lift up the film. This was yet again a missed opportunity to give this movie depth and feeling, but it just rang hollow. Very bland and uninteresting.

All in all, the visuals were magnificent, and Scarlett, Battou and Kitano Takeshi did solid jobs. Another plus were all the easter eggs (The dog, the plane scene etc) which I felt was a nice touch. However, the rest were just uninteresting and bland, frankly. What this movie needed was a director that knew how to capture mood and feeling, that knew how to transition between scenes fluidly, and that focused on highlighting the story beats that ultimately defines the movie for what it was. Unfortunately, the focus was on the action sequences rather than the underlying reasoning and the allusions behind the happenings of this film. The movie also should of had writers that ultimately understood what the original film was about, and what message it was trying to portray. It just felt too dumbed down for its own good, and treats the audience as brain dead without the ability to think for themselves. Although I do appreciate the effort of bringing anime to the silver screen (especially great ones as GiTS), Hollywood shouldn't really be bothering if they must restrict themselves creatively like they did with this. Hopefully, they'll stop doing that at some point.

4/10
Good detail on the review.

Yeah, it's not to say that the original film doesn't have its own criticisms, but here, the storytelling is braindead shallow. So much of the dialogue is just meaningless action filler banter or everyone outright spelling out their motivations and reasons to exist in the movie, leaving nothing more to ponder. Action sequences just happen without any buildup and only shot to meet a bare minimum requirement.

I suppose there is a balancing act to making a standalone film and to appeal to people who enjoyed the franchise, but here they tried to piece too many things together and it comes off as scatterbrained and half-assed.

Agreed. I just saw it as well and I'm quite surprised at how much I really liked it.

While of course I would have liked a few scenes to restrain on spelling a few things out like they did, I came in expecting some of that, so I think they merged several of the stories from the movies and SAC pretty decently (obviously not perfectly, it's got its flaws) and I think ScarJo (and the actor for Kuze) did a rather good job and then once further into the movie,
particularly after the first real Kuze scene
, I thought she actually started feeling a decent (admittedly more emotional) version of the Major, which was always clearly going to be the intent of this director/adaptation for a US audience to connect better with her in a simpler story as accepting that she's indeed still human and herself with her essence despite being "just a brain in a completely artificial body".

Gonna also reiterate, Batou was absolutely perfect. I loved his scenes with the Major and even on his own. The actor nailed him.
And Aramaki, goddamn, just as boss as ever.
I liked the international Section 9, so more time with them indeed would have been cool and is kind of a flaw (Togusa had a couple of short nice moments).

And despite the trailer leaving me wondering how it would go, the admittedly "nerdy/hardcore" concern me and one other had in the other thread, they actually did, except maybe on one occasion, do a surprisingly damn good job flipping between "Major" and "the Major" when needed to feel smoother. Batou used "the Major" several times I recall.

Also loved the shot of the Major in her SAC gear on the roof starting another case to end the movie (and classic drop into stealth).

DOWN

Banned
This is the first movie in years I made sure not to see average scores for just because I love these sort of cyberpunk sci-fi visuals. My blind impression was that the visuals and style of effects were friggin good. Unusually good. ScarJo was unnecessary but didn't hurt it for me outside the basic issue of her being cast from a cultural consideration. Wasn't blown away, but was very into the visuals and sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom