• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GHOST OF TSUSHIMA Devs to be made Permanent Ambassadors of the Real Island

Astorian

Game director Nate Fox and Creative director Jason Connell will become permanent ambassadors of the city of Tsushima in Nagasaki, the island announced this week.

The ceremony will be held digitally due to travel restrictions, and the pair will be presented with the award and a letter of appreciation.
In a statement, Tsushima mayor Hiroki Hitakatsu explained why the pair have been awarded with the honour.

“[Fox and Connell] spread the name and history of Tsushima to the whole world in such a wonderful way,” he said.

“Even a lot of Japanese people do not know the history of the Gen-ko period. When it comes to the world, the name and location of Tsushima is literally unknown, so I cannot thank them enough for telling our story with such phenomenal graphics and profound stories.”

Astorian

Pretty much.

46d73c3cc50fa32e0e1d8c2a38007477.gif

manzo

Now I can understand why some Japanese game directors were fucking seething how good Ghost of Tshushima was. It's the game they were meant to do, but this just shows the gulf between western and Japanese game designs these days.

I haven't played it yet as I tend to not like Sony first party output.

Kerotan

That is awesome and obviously well deserved.

Kinda funny that GoT has been so well received with Japanese people themselves but some Westerners accussed them for not being faithful enough to Japanese history and culture.
Those westerners are mentally ill. I have much respect for Japanese. They don't get worked up over small irrelevant details. Ghost has done japan proud and if I was Japanese I'd be thrilled with this game for it's portrayal. I'm still on the first island myself about 15 hours in.

Those westerners are mentally ill. I have much respect for Japanese. They don't get worked up over small irrelevant details. Ghost has done japan proud and if I was Japanese I'd be thrilled with this game for it's portrayal. I'm still on the first island myself about 15 hours in.
Seriously i just cleared the first Island and my skills are almost maxxed out. Game is just straight fun and atmosphere.

Eanox

That is awesome and obviously well deserved.

Kinda funny that GoT has been so well received with Japanese people themselves but some Westerners accussed them for not being faithful enough to Japanese history and culture.
The same SJW BS they love to spread. They act they know pretty much everything when they really don't have a freaking clue. lol

OT: In all honesty GOT, deserved a lot more praise. I am glad Japanese people love it and here's hoping that some Japanese developers will follow suit in creating more open world Samurai games or Ninja/Shinobi games.

Guilty_AI

Now I can understand why some Japanese game directors were fucking seething how good Ghost of Tshushima was. It's the game they were meant to do, but this just shows the gulf between western and Japanese game designs these days.
japanese game design is miles ahead of western one tho. Most of the time at least (looking at you Yakuza and generic jrpgs).

Last edited:

Kerotan

Seriously i just cleared the first Island and my skills are almost maxxed out. Game is just straight fun and atmosphere.
Are you doing the side quests etc and not just the main story? I am so I think I'll be the same as you when I get there. It's actually a good thing. No point only maxing your skills at the very end and not using them.

SJRB

Gold Member
People who get offended on behalf of others shouldn't be taken seriously, as this once again proves.

I haven't played it yet as I tend to not like Sony first party output.
It's an amazing game (one of my GOATs) while still leaving areas for improvement - the sequel is gonna be insane.

Also, I would say that some Japanese developers stand out head and shoulders above the rest, including Western developers. Ironically, the Dark Souls series is a Japanese take on western fantasy and it can be argued that they have some of the best game design + atmosphere in all of gaming.

Last edited:

manzo

japanese game design is miles ahead of western one tho. Most of the time at least (looking at you Yakuza and generic jrpgs).

That's how things tended to do. Look at the current state; you have the old guard and a couple of outliers.

90% of JP dev is mobage/gachatrash. They USED to be the best, but not anymore. Nintendo is pretty much the only one with good design these days. And this is coming from a guy who only used to play games from Japan, I hated western game design minus old Blizzard.

Edit: before people jump my ass, current game design of open world with lowest common denominator design is why I don't play that much anymore. The games these days just do not have appeal to me, but I still recognize good effort even if it's not for me.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

That's how things tended to do. Look at the current state; you have the old guard and a couple of outliers.

90% of JP dev is mobage/gachatrash. They USED to be the best, but not anymore.

Nintendo is pretty much the only one with good design these days. And this is coming from a guy who only used to play games from Japan, I hated western game design minus old Blizzard.
What about Fromsoftware? Platinum? Lots of Capcom and Bandai Namco games? Atlus? Vanillaware? Team ninja?

Last edited:
Top Bottom