• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut PC cross-play and system requirements revealed. PlayStation overlay, cross-play, and Trophy support!

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Wait, WTF are those system requirements?

GLXZ4mNXgAAHaWk.png

An RTX 4080/RX 7900 XTX for a 4K60 PS4 game? Does it have ray tracing and we weren't told?

Topher

Gold Member
Wait, WTF are those system requirements?

GLXZ4mNXgAAHaWk.png

An RTX 4080/RX 7900 XTX for a 4K60 PS4 game? Does it have ray tracing and we weren't told?

I wonder if anyone has a youtube channel that tests games against the system requirements specs to see if they are accurate or not.

Topher

Gold Member
Who is this BryanK dude that you guys keep referring to in a bunch of these PS-PC threads!?

Massive PS fan who railed constantly against PS games being ported to PC. Went over the edge talking about it at times. Eventually was banned, but was allowed to come back......and then got banned again. Don't get me wrong. He is a great guy, but damn......he needed to take things down a notch or two.

Massive PS fan who railed constantly against PS games being ported to PC. Went over the edge talking about it at times. Eventually was banned, but was allowed to come back......and then got banned again. Don't get me wrong. He is a great guy, but damn......he needed to take things down a notch or two.
Wow, ouch, basically the equivalent of a super-fan like those on Twitter. Hopefully he's in a better state of mind today. :)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
The thing about Bryan though was he actually dearly loves PS and wants great things for their brand

Some people just go out of their way to put other brands down and make fun of people, he got truly pissed that Jimbo took PS down this path

Gaiff

I wonder if anyone has a youtube channel that tests games against the system requirements specs to see if they are accurate or not.
Doesn’t it run at like 1800p/60 on PS5?

Last edited:

StereoVsn

The “Every Screen is a PlayStation “ and “Trojan Horse” replies are killing me. Well done!

Otherwise it’s pretty great that Sony is not making this optional. Carrot and no stick won’t piss people off.

Can’t wait to replay Tsushima a second time!

Topher

Gold Member
The thing about Bryan though was he actually dearly loves PS and wants great things for their brand

Some people just go out of their way to put other brands down and make fun of people, he got truly pissed that Jimbo took PS down this path

I'm imagine he threw a parade the day they announced Ryan was retiring.

Doesn’t it run at like 1800p/60 on PS5?

Yeah. 1800p checkerboard. Don't pass the smell test, does it?

Don't tell me it's that icon era forum. I see from time to time some wild posts on X/Twitter from them since they go viral. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

That's the one.

Topher

Gold Member
The “Every Screen is a PlayStation “ and “Trojan Horse” replies are killing me. Well done!

Otherwise it’s pretty great that Sony is not making this optional. Carrot and no stick won’t piss people off.

Can’t wait to replay Tsushima a second time!

I almost bought the game for PS5 to get the platinum, but this is going to be my first PS game on PC.

Just for you Bryank75 Bryank75

8n2vmr.jpg

Last edited:
If you look 2-3 steps ahead in 10-15 years my prediction is:
- consoles decline in relevance, and turn into apps on every device

This has been repeated for the last twenty years and consoles are still alive and well despite the growth of PC and mobile.

There will always be relevance for a highly cost efficient product for the mass market and curated specifically for gaming, it just won’t be MS since they lost that battle

demigod

Great guy? Lmfao, not even close.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This has been repeated for the last twenty years and consoles are still alive and well despite the growth of PC and mobile.

There will always be relevance for a highly cost efficient product for the mass market and curated specifically for gaming, it just won’t be MS since they lost that battle
I think MS will try a Steam Machine approach. Sony will surely continue with consoles for 1-2 gens. The question is if people want to game on a closed ecosystem with $80 / year to get online, or transition to other options. Sony used to make laptops too so they can do Steam Machines if they want. They wont until their sales decline. MS just declined way faster. But ultimately I think consumers will wise up if given better choices. Seems that's the way younger people are going.

Last edited:
I think MS will try a Steam Machine approach. Sony will surely continue with consoles for 1-2 gens. The question is if people want to game on a closed ecosystem with $80 / year to get online, or transition to other options. Sony used to make laptops too so they can do Steam Machines if they want.

Steam machine approach won’t be mass market, since it will include cost markups to all the components and assembly since they are just licensing it out to third party manufacturers

Microsoft is doing this because they lost the war for efficient console market and now are fine with moving over to steam machine type set up with a higher cost and lower sales volume and they no longer will lose money on hardware

I’m sure Sony could do something similar but it would be layered on top of the cheaper console as the central platform

Topher

Gold Member
I would likely bet a lot of money a dockable variant of this is happening and still think they are on course to build a traditional next gen console but honestly sounds like an expensive machine and not one designed to go head to head with anything Sony produces

You talking dockable handheld, right?

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I would likely bet a lot of money a dockable variant of this is happening and still think they are on course to build a traditional next gen console but honestly sounds like an expensive machine and not one designed to go head to head with anything Sony produces
I'm expecting an expensive streamlined PC console. And a PC style handheld.

If they keep publishing 1st party games everywhere, they have to open up or they will keep losing more 3rd party support. If they have open stores they basically get everything eventually.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'm expecting an expensive streamlined PC console. And a PC style handheld.

If they keep publishing 1st party games everywhere, they have to open up or they will keep losing more 3rd party support. If they have open stores they basically get everything eventually.
I could see this happening

When the statement was floated to me several months ago that MS was tired of directly competing (and losing worse each gen) with Sony your approach also fits that statement

yurinka

Great guy? Lmfao, not even close.
Yes, he's a great guy.

He loves PS and would like Sony to stick with their console, and considers that Sony's efforts on PC (and streaming) could/will damage their console.

So he'd prefer to Sony to scrap their PC and streaming plans and focus instead only on their own console, and particularly games played locally, not via streaming.

It's a point of view that I don't agree, but I understand it and I think it's perfectly valid.

PlayStation's active userbase, game revenue (and particularly 3rd party game revenue) and ARPU (average revenue per user) bigger than ever has been and keeps growing.

These are the most important things for a 3rd party when deciding which platforms to support. So 3rd parties will continue supporting them specially considering that the Xbox market share keeps decreasing and that 3rd party sales on Switch are way smaller than in PS.

I think MS will do their own "Steam machines" approach for both powerful home console shaped PCs (let's call it Xbox 5 X) and weaker handhelds with tv out a.k.a. hybrid/dockable (let's call it Xbox 5 P).

I think they'll do it better adapting Windows 11 to include a new optional UI optimized to be played with a gamepad both in a tv or in a handheld/tablet/phone and featuring there their game store, where they'd merge all their existing ones.

And then for 3rd party manufacturers of home/portable console shaped PCs, to offer a minimum hardware specs list to be allowed to use the "Xbox 5 P" branding or the "Xbox 5 P" branding.

Being Windows, you could also use there the other stores like Steam, Epic Store, GoG, the future Sony one, etc. Plus emulators. Or to dual boot it with SteamOS, Linux or whatever, because it's a PC.

But the one instead instealled by default would be a MS gaming store that would have your previous catalog and user library from battle.net, previous Xbox PC/console stores, etc. All merged into a single MS store for all the platforms where that store will be available (PC, Xbox consoles, mobile, cloud).

Last edited:

Gaiff

Yes, he's a great guy.

He loves PS and would like Sony to stick with their console, and considers that Sony's efforts on PC (and streaming) could/will damage their console.

So he'd prefer to Sony to scrap their PC and streaming plans and focus instead only on their own console, and particularly games played locally, not via streaming.

It's a point of view that I don't agree, but I understand it and I think it's perfectly valid.
Sounds like a dumb fanboy.

I could see this happening

When the statement was floated to me several months ago that MS was tired of directly competing (and losing worse each gen) with Sony your approach also fits that statement

Yes but let’s not kid ourselves that this strategy is intended to “win” in terms of high volume sales

It’s intended to not cost them losing billions on hardware subsidies in a war they can’t win

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Yes but let’s not kid ourselves that this strategy is intended to “win” in terms of high volume sales

It’s intended to not cost them losing billions on hardware subsidies in a war they can’t win
A $500-600 PS6 will of course outsell a $1000+ Xbox Steam Machine.

But at that point it really doesn't matter. For me personally, it'll be win / win / win. I get to keep my library, buy from any store I want, get pretty much any game, and it'll probably have higher specs as well but have the convenience of a console UI. And once I have access to all of PC library, I wouldn't even really want to use the Switch for portable honestly with any indie available, plus lots of older games. So I'd probably get the handheld too.

Then Switch 2 just for exclusives.

People that want to stay on PS can, and they'll get all the Xbox games too.

Last edited:
A $500-600 PS6 will of course outsell a $1000+ Xbox Steam Machine.

But at that point it really doesn't matter. For me personally, it'll be win / win / win. I get to keep my library, buy from any store I want, get pretty much any game, and it'll probably have higher specs as well. And once I have access to all of PC library, I wouldn't even really want to use the Switch for portable honestly with any indie available, plus lots of older games. So I'd probably get the handheld too.

Then Switch 2 just for exclusives.

The alternate is the most likely case for most consumers, they can just get a ps5 and switch and also pretty much play everything, and do so in a cheaper package with day and date Sony/Nintendo games and not have to wait

Bottom line is MS strategy is going after a niche market, they’ve abandoned high volume hardware sales aspirations

Punished Miku

Gold Member
The alternate is the most likely case for most consumers, they can just get a ps5 and switch and also pretty much play everything, and do so in a cheaper package with day and date Sony/Nintendo games and not have to wait

Bottom line is MS strategy is going after a niche market, they’ve abandoned high volume hardware sales aspirations
I agree with that. I'm just saying that I don't personally care. I'm happy to be in that niche market. This is assuming any of this comes to pass. We'll see.

I agree with that. I'm just saying that I don't personally care. I'm happy to be in that niche market. This is assuming any of this comes to pass. We'll see.

Yeah it’s cool we have options and MS can “soft exit” consoles without abandoning their legacy consumers

They may be in a tough spot if their Steam machine cost isn’t competitive with just DIY or buying any other PC though, the Steam Machine concept failed previously but again since MS will make margins on this they probably won’t care. I think MS just doesn’t want to leave their Xbox brand or consumer base out to dry cold turkey

Top Bottom