• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost of Tsushima Director’s Cut PC cross-play and system requirements revealed. PlayStation overlay, cross-play, and Trophy support!

demigod

Yeah it’s cool we have options and MS can “soft exit” consoles without abandoning their legacy consumers

They may be in a tough spot if their Steam machine cost isn’t competitive with just DIY or buying any other PC though, the Steam Machine concept failed previously but again since MS will make margins on this they probably won’t care. I think MS just doesn’t want to leave their Xbox brand or consumer base out to dry cold turkey
Goodluck on steam machines pricing the way they overcharge margins on SSD license.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
If anything this sounds like a precursor to a storefront/launcher.

The only way I envision someone would be able to use this for 3rd party games is via a Sony launcher.

Sony continues to take steps towards that PS PC Storefront. From PC cloud streaming to Dual Sense support on PC to PSVR2 support on PC to this.
I don't think a PS PC Storefront is a good idea. Didn't work very well for Epic, nor EA, nor Ubisoft...

yurinka

Sounds like a dumb fanboy.
Not the case at all.

Almost seems like some sort of trojan horse which will turn your PC into a PlayStation
Hey ManaByte ManaByte , what does this mean???
It means Sony had last quarter a personal historical record of 123M MAU for any console brand in gaming history, but even if they are slowly growing their console userbase can't grow much because the console userbase didn't grow much in decades. In fact if you only look at home consoles it may even be in decline.

And the thing is that 123M MAU is a tiny portion of the total 3B playerbase, so Sony wants to expand to more platforms to make more money, something they need because they work on over two dozen games with a big ass budget of over $200, almost $400M in some cases, for each one. Which is too risky and not profitable for games with the sales of what Death Stranding, Dreams, Days Gone, Bloodborne, Demons Souls, Returnal, Ratchet, Sackboy etc. had in PS.

So they are opening to new markets to reach more players and make more money to pay those games and make them more profitable.

Sony's revenue in PC has been highly growing every year. In FY22 were the top 20 publisher, and in FY23 having almost 2 months of Helldivers 2 they must have been way higher in the list. By making their PC ports more appealing and more integrated with their console, they'll help them grow in PC both reaching new players for PS and PC, and also making more appealing for players to double dip (let's say to play on a PS5 while in the tv and in a Steamdeck like PC portable when in the go).

Eventually, specially considering future big ass GaaS like Concord and Marathon in the near future, Sony will become one of the top publishers in PC if not the top one. After that, they'd release their PC store featuring cross-save and cross-buy with console and would make their PC games exclusive to there. That would end with Sony leading the PC market as they already lead the console market.

Last edited:
I was saving up for a PC in the $2000 range anyway. Wouldn't surprise me. That's pretty much what I'm expecting as well.

Yeah I would maybe even consider this if Sony doesn’t offer a steam machine but does have a PC launcher that has cross play with all their games day and date with console

It would need to be cost competitive with other PC builds and possibly upgradeable, though. If I’m going to shell out that kind of money I don’t want to run into an Xbox One X situation where it’s obsolete in 3 years.

Topher

Gold Member
Hey ManaByte ManaByte , what does this mean???

Celebrate Marching Band GIF by USC Trojans
Horse GIF

drotahorror

They may be in a tough spot if their Steam machine cost isn’t competitive with just DIY or buying any other PC though, the Steam Machine concept failed previously but again since MS will make margins on this they probably won’t care. I think MS just doesn’t want to leave their Xbox brand or consumer base out to dry cold turkey

Are you saying MS is coming out with a Steam Machine? I can't find any info about any new steam machines.

DanielG165

Those hardware requirements are certainly interesting. I know they’re pushing the visuals further for GoT on PC, but it is still ultimately a PS4 game that was ported to PS5. A 4080 to run it at 4K/60?

Are you saying MS is coming out with a Steam Machine? I can't find any info about any new steam machines.

Its just speculation based on where they are right now

It will be an Xbox built by third parties that runs Windows with Steam and can natively boot into an Xbox OS if desired that has BC with all previous Xbox hardware

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Those hardware requirements are certainly interesting. I know they’re pushing the visuals further for GoT on PC, but it is still ultimately a PS4 game that was ported to PS5. A 4080 to run it at 4K/60?
Are they pushing the visuals further? Nixxes didn't mention anything about enhanced visuals as far as I'm aware.
Shit, now I have to get the platinum a third time.
PC and PS share the same trophy set according to PlayStation.blog.

One step closer to every console being just an app. This "overlay" will be your console in 10 years, and you can take it to mobile, PC, TV, handhelds, cloud and it'll play on pretty much anything. You can guess what the implications are for physical media.

And there is no future where consoles decline in relevance, PC increases in relevance, and we don't get launchers for basically every 3rd party publisher. Kind of absurd for Sony to put in the work making a PC port and then giving Valve 30% for doing literally nothing. Sony has the capability to host the downloads and do all of that themselves.

All anyone needs is a program that displays your whole library across all stores. Really makes zero sense for Valve to make anything on Sony PC games, or really any large publisher. Smaller games and indies depend on other storefronts. Seems like the obvious future. Guess we'll see.
Do some people here not understand the legit reason steam is so popular? Its because of decades of good will and user focused instead of publisher focused (like epic).. It has actual user reviews, that it encourages you to do. It has per game forums, and discussions, community hubs, and workshop for mods, guides sections, etc.... All that is missing in every other launcher besides steam (gog has the forums, guides and reviews too, but it's galaxy software has issues).

PC gamers trust valve and steam. They don't trust big pubs, like ea or ubisoft, or MS, and for good reason, all those companies delist games, they take down servers and stores, and don't give options. Steam eared trust, gamers know that once they bought the game its there.

Also most pc gamers don't want seperate launchers, they like steam and want everything to come through that. Publishers may not like it but if they want good sales, then thats the way to go.
Add on steam deck proton and linux support , that you won't get anywhere else, and it makes more incentive for games to be on steam.

That being said, an in game overlay is great! A seperate launcher like origins or ubisoft connect, epic, etc...hell no!

Last edited:

Chukhopops

To make use of features like Trophies, Friends list, and cross-play, you can sign in with your existing account for PlayStation Network or create a new account.
So those players would be counted as PlayStation MAUs?
trojan horse gates GIF by South Park

More seriously, this is a step in the right direction. Still no cross-buy though.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Do some people here not understand the legit reason steam is so popular? Its because of decades of good will and user focused instead of publisher focused (like epic).. It has actual user reviews, that it encourages you to do. It has per game forums, and discussions, community hubs, and workshop for mods, guides sections, etc.... All that is missing in every other launcher besides steam (gog has the forums, guides and reviews too, but it's galaxy software has issues).

PC gamers trust valve and steam. They don't trust big pubs, like ea or ubisoft, or MS, and for good reason, all those companies delist games, they take down servers and stores, and don't give options. Steam eared trust, gamers know that once they bought the game its there.

Also most pc gamers don't want seperate launchers, they like steam and want everything to come through that. Publishers may not like it but if they want good sales, then thats the way to go.

That being said, an in game overlay is great! A seperate launcher like origins or ubisoft connect, epic, etc...hell no!
I understand it. I just dont see platform holders giving Valve gatekeeping for the whole industry.

RagnarokIV

All of this is correct. Everyone hated Steam when it was introduced (and forced for Valve games), and I went with discs for years more but Steam earned people's trust and custom.

Fredrik

PS overlay is awesome, makes me feel at home even when retiring the console.
4080 for 4k60 is a little too close for my liking, I have a 4080S in the living room PC and no VRR TV to fix dips, hmm…
Still, day 1!

DanielG165

Are they pushing the visuals further? Nixxes didn't mention anything about enhanced visuals as far as I'm aware.
I was mistaken, I don’t know why I thought I remembered reading that somewhere, but trailer had no mention of any enhancements to the visuals. That just makes the requirement list even more head scratching lol. I know that we should always take these lists with a grain of salt, but still, 4080 to max out a ported PS4 game is… Something.

Topher

Gold Member
lol the other thread is just above you 🤦‍♂️

That's this thread my man

yurinka

Yeah I would maybe even consider this if Sony doesn’t offer a steam machine but does have a PC launcher that has cross play with all their games day and date with console

It would need to be cost competitive with other PC builds and possibly upgradeable, though. If I’m going to shell out that kind of money I don’t want to run into an Xbox One X situation where it’s obsolete in 3 years.
I think MS will do it before, but I assume Sony's plans with PC are:
  1. Build a strong PC 1st party library and userbase
  2. Release a PC launcher and PC PSN store (which also features 3rd party games) that also features cross-save and cross-buy with console, and also integrates their already existing PC remote play and cloud gaminng apps
  3. Release a Steamdeck-like PS Portal successor for the PS6 generation that in addition to remote play and cloud gaming also runs natively the games from the PC PSN store
  4. Release a mobile gaming PSN integration and mobile PSN store for future Sony and 3rd party mobile games
  5. Via Android emulation, make the mobile PSN games playable natively on that PS Portal successor too

RagnarokIV

I was mistaken, I don’t know why I thought I remembered reading that somewhere, but trailer had no mention of any enhancements to the visuals. That just makes the requirement list even more head scratching lol. I know that we should always take these lists with a grain of salt, but still, 4080 to max out a ported PS4 game is… Something.

Published specs have always been over inflated, I wouldn't take them too serious.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
  2. Release a PC launcher and PC PSN store (which also features 3rd party games) that also features cross-save and cross-buy with console, and also integrates their already existing PC remote play and cloud gaminng apps
  3. Release a Steamdeck-like PS Portal successor for the PS6 generation that in addition to remote play and cloud gaming also runs natively the games from the PC PSN store
  4. Release a mobile gaming PSN integration and mobile PSN store for future Sony and 3rd party mobile games
  5. Via Android emulation, make the mobile PSN games playable natively on that PS Portal successor too
Sounds amazing, which is why I know it's not going to happen

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Based on what? Epic seems to be doing just fine
Well I don't have any data, said that based mostly on the reception Epic exclusives usually get from PC gamers. Which isn't good.

Last edited:
An overlay might as well be a separate launcher, you still have to log into it, and now you have multiple overlays running at the same time 🤷
Good thing it's optional.

I agree with all of this and I think it will coincide with PS6 launch in 2028

Kataploom

Gold Member
Yes, PS games always have higher PC requirements than games that look similar or even better, that's the norm already, and it's not because "they're just too high tech" or something like that, they just don't care.

Diddy X

I hope newer PS games to be less hardware demanding on PC as they will develop them with PC in mind since the begining of development.

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I really don't see crossbuy happening. That's really bad for revenue.
Maybe. Depends which way you look at it, competitors are already doing it, Sony already do it for PS4/PS5, so maybe like they do for PS5 upgrades, you pay an extra £10 to get the other version too. I guess as it stands specific work is being done on these games for PC so it should be dedicated revenue, I don't mind paying for that, but double dipping at full price is a bit much, I end up buying Steam keys a few months later instead, not sure how much Sony would get off that. As a consumer I just like the idea of being able to buy a game once and be able to play it on every device it is compatible with, but maybe it is unrealistic. Maybe they don't fancy the thought of trying to compete with Steam on PC so this is the easiest path.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I just hope they don't come as mutually exclusive with the Steam ones, because I don't give a shit about the PS achievements.
I mean, I don't particularly care about achievements in general, but when I do it's about the ones that show up on my Steam profile. Not the Sony ones.
You will get both at the same time.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There is no difference just people addicted to that dopamine hit seeing a box pop up that they got to level 2 lol
I end up hurting myself. My boner gets soo hard it I manage to get break my disk when Im parked in my seat under the desk.

You don't know the struggle.

xVodevil

So looking forward for this! As for the other part, just keep it on steam. Not that we need any more of them launchers in our lives, but definitely not another dumb attempt at an exclusive store. MS, EA, Ubi, Bethesda all failed and backtracked by now, be smart Sony, just learn from it.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

PC and PS share the same trophy set according to PlayStation.blog.
Which PS? PS4 or PS5?

While some do, not all trophies automatically pop on PS5 GoT when loading a platinum PS4 save.

Top Bottom