• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Ghost Wars |OT| Sorry it's Not a Battle Royale Mode

Well, considering it carries over into PVP I actually purchased a DLC cosmetic pack finally.
Kinda silly such basic cosmetic military gear wasn't in the base game.

____

I keep getting killed in PvP.

I'm awesome at the game otherwise, and still having a blast when I play with friends I know IRL.

But I don't wanna keep getting killed and nobody cares (except IRL friends) to revive me. Help. ;_;

elyetis

Pretty fun/addicting mode when you are not playing this shitty map
1507923545-pvpbarvechos-png.jpg

elyetis

You Cray.

Quarry is the best map in the game. People can't rely on their ghillie suits to win their games
I don't know how better players play it, but the only thing I see happen in that map is camping/sniping. And it sadly make sense because of the lack of cover.

Klocker

Got executed by a sniper rifle from a meter behind me last night; scared the shit out of me.

Wish there were more classes with ARs, because the pointman kept being taken (and used very well) by a teammate. I like the sniper class but I don't feel particularly good at it yet— increased map knowledge will help a lot.

Yeah I got on a run last night with three other randoms and we won about 10 matches in a row maybe more.

I'm guilty of grabbing the point man every time actually and yes it can be used effectively to flush out and keep the battle moving and attack and Wipeout campers. I enjoyed it but I can see how well placed snipers could make it more challenging than it is right now to be a good point man.

Everyone else seemed to settle in with their class for all the rounds and we worked effectively. And note this is with me not even having a mic.

AZ more classes open up be interesting to see how they develop it's a pretty solid mode pretty impressed with what they've done

Edit can anyone tell me how to send visual messages? The first night I played there were a thank you message and a well-done message during the match from one of the other players and I don't know how they did that?

Edit can anyone tell me how to send visual messages? The first night I played there were a thank you message and a well-done message during the match from one of the other players and I don't know how they did that?

Are those on the radial AI/comms/rebel menu from the PvE side? (RB on Xbox).

Lucifon

Just tried this out on PC and it's a blast. Are the Xbox One / PS4 versions still 30fps even on Ghost War? Would love to get this on consoles especially for the X, got a few friends who're interested.

SentryDown

Ubiiiiiiiiiiiiiii. That's a dealbreaker for me. With the smaller maps and far less going on in them I would have thought they could have pushed for 60.

Far less going on except for the multiplayer I guess ?! The maps aren't really separate packages, it's just that you spawn somewhere in the open world and aren't allowed to leave the area

Figure i'd ask in here since the main thread is dead,
Do the vehicle cosmetic packs change that specific vehicle when you get into them or is it separate and only a specific vehicle you get dropped by rebels?
(curious about the camo humvee.)

Rawker

Played Xbox version for 2 hours tonight. I'm a die hard gr fan from the start on PC, even made maps for it. It's not that fun with all the markers telling you where everyone is or where you are. I just want my raw ghost recon back where my skill determines the outcome. The shooting mechanics are too easy and player movement is too fast. Oh well thanks for the free weekend, maybe pubg will satisfy my itch.

Foxxsoxx

Far less going on except for the multiplayer I guess ?! The maps aren't really separate packages, it's just that you spawn somewhere in the open world and aren't allowed to leave the area

Would have been much better had they cut the entire map into separate zones. I don't see why this couldn't be 60 if they did that. There isn't that much happening.

Dubz

This game would be amazing if it weren't for the unnecessary load times between every FUCKING round. Once a guy picks their class, there's no need to change it mid match. It slows down the game immensely.

____

This game would be amazing if it weren't for the unnecessary load times between every FUCKING round. Once a guy picks their class, there's no need to change it mid match. It slows down the game immensely.

Seriously. The loading is insane.

____

What really? I thought the game loads pretty fast... it is the timer between matches allowing people to edit their guy or change classes that takes up time

Finds players pretty quick too

I guess that’s what I mean. The time between matches.

Played Xbox version for 2 hours tonight. I'm a die hard gr fan from the start on PC, even made maps for it. It's not that fun with all the markers telling you where everyone is or where you are. I just want my raw ghost recon back where my skill determines the outcome. The shooting mechanics are too easy and player movement is too fast. Oh well thanks for the free weekend, maybe pubg will satisfy my itch.

Not sure if you mean MP or SP here, but you can edit your HUD to death. Even in MP, somewhat bizarrely.

DeaDPo0L84

Finally convinced my friend to give this a try and while he enjoys it he had the same complaints. Drones spotting you every 10 seconds it seems and he really hates that a big yellow dot pops up every time you fire and I agree. We have all this cover and attempt to be sneaky but so much crap gives your position away. Hopefully ranked removes these crutches cause everything else is solid.

Foxxsoxx

Finally convinced my friend to give this a try and while he enjoys it he had the same complaints. Drones spotting you every 10 seconds it seems and he really hates that a big yellow dot pops up every time you fire and I agree. We have all this cover and attempt to be sneaky but so much crap gives your position away. Hopefully ranked removes these crutches cause everything else is solid.

Well snipers counter drones with 1 shot and lots of aim assist. The Tech class destroys all the drones, scouts, medics, mortars, and has a huge radius, drones are only an issue if you don't have a counter.

As for there being loads of ways to spot players, I agree there are a bunch, however at least in TDM, it's necessary to keep players from dying of boredom. If it wasn't so easy to camp in the bushes I wouldn't mind it being absent but foliage is absolutely EVERYWHERE in most maps.

I really hope the objective modes are well made, and I hope they add limited amounts of gun customization, attachments and such for tradeoffs, different scopes, that sort of stuff.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
I like the gameplay a lot but shit between how long it takes to actually get the matches loaded and then waiting on something to happen with that last ghillie suit laying prone in the weeds who hasn’t moved an inch for 5 minutes... just too much down time man. I kinda wish they had a 6v6 mode with some kind of respawn mechanic.

I like the gameplay a lot but shit between how long it takes to actually get the matches loaded and then waiting on something to happen with that last ghillie suit laying prone in the weeds who hasn't moved an inch for 5 minutes... just too much down time man. I kinda wish they had a 6v6 mode with some kind of respawn mechanic.
Why don't you try and go for the radio tower? You'll know where the last one standing is in a few seconds then! Even if he's camping around the radio tower, you'll know when you get spotted or shot at. It's recommended to have another/several teammate(s) keep an eye on you and the surroundings when you go for the tower.

Jarrod38

Not bad at all. I hate the losers who die and then leave. As for matchmaking is stupid. Hate getting paired with new players like myself but the other team is made up if 30 plus higher players

I like the gameplay a lot but shit between how long it takes to actually get the matches loaded and then waiting on something to happen with that last ghillie suit laying prone in the weeds who hasn’t moved an inch for 5 minutes... just too much down time man. I kinda wish they had a 6v6 mode with some kind of respawn mechanic.
Yeah. They need to shorten up the start of matches and add extra rounds. Maybe make best of 5 instead of 3.

Not bad at all. I hate the losers who die and then leave. As for matchmaking is stupid. Hate getting paired with new players like myself but the other team is made up if 30 plus higher players
Yea the matchmaking has been really bad for me. Almost every game I've played has been severely unbalanced, with one team being all level 10 and unders and the other team having all 30s or higher.

Also think they really missed a chance at making this mode really amazing by making it 8v8 instead of 4v4. But maybe that's just me.

Part of my reaction is undoubtedly my low expectations (it's a free bonus mode for an already existing non-competitive game), but Ghost Wars is kind of incredible and I think I might love it. The pacing is really strong, particularly for a camping-focused shooter, and a lot of that comes down to the interesting revive mechanics. It's early, but right now I definitely prefer this to the various other popular tactical shooters like CSGO and Siege.

My only real complaints are common issues in competitive shooters nowadays: there's no dedicated servers and there's the obnoxious process of needing to level to unlock very basic and important abilities. It might not take long to get something like thermal vision, but there's absolutely no defense for that kind of unlocking process in what should be a competitive game. It doesn't seem EA bad, I guess.

I was curious, maybe somebody could answer here, but are the maps directly taken from the campaign or did they tweak them a bit either for Ghost Wars or even in the game proper post-release? Most of them seem strikingly well designed for competitive play.

Ashtar

Some vids from yesterday

Scout Action ended in tense 1vs 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8CjNQmDJNc

Goofing around with the tank
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kr-81Ac5TrQ

Overly aggressive pointman but my homie saved me
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8CjNQmDJNc

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1765989-GHOST-WAR-LAUNCH-Message-from-the-development-team
they're nerfing thermal vision
We will publish a patch to address the Thermal Goggles perk issue as soon as possible. Please note that this is just a preventive balancing for now. A more complete revamp on the thermal vision will come with the next title update, early November. We will keep you updated once the patch is live.

This patch will limit the range in which Thermal Vision is effective. Players will only be visible within a short to medium range, after which it starts drastically dropping in intensity, ultimately becoming ineffective at long range spotting.
Guess that means I need to stop using it as a crutch

Foxxsoxx

Glad they're checking into weapon customization. Would be really nice if they offered pros and cons to the attachments and different scopes would be a god send.

I meant to only play for an hour last night and ended up playing for 4.

So much fun.

Had a fantastic match on Cocoa Farm. Lost 2-0 but the margins were so fine. Had one round as a Diversionist where all 8 players died at least once, and the ebb-and-flow of revives and flanks etc was nuts.

manhack

Been having a great time with the PvP this weekend. A few gripes with some details like audio issues, slow matchmaking and too much time in the lobbies, but if you can find a good group to play with this mode is a blast.

Ashtar

Had an intense game just now, dude was down 4-1, came all the way back to make it 1-1, revived his homie to make it 2-1 but somehow we still won! gonna upload later

Foxxsoxx

Had an intense game just now, dude was down 4-1, came all the way back to make it 1-1, revived his homie to make it 2-1 but somehow we still won! gonna upload later

Those matches are the best.

I really like the down mechanic the game has, it's brilliant.

Foxxsoxx

I wish the game had more desert maps, I really prefer them over the forest ones, especially Cocoa Farm, which is essentially one giant bush.

Foxxsoxx

Dudes, I have yet to have a bad session with this game. Every time I stop playing I'm totally satisfied and not frustrated as I have been with other games.

I wonder how long that'll last...

JCH!

This game's matchmaking is ridiculously bad.

Constantly getting matched against teams triple our level, what the fuck. Real shame 'cause it would be pretty fun otherwise.

manhack

This game is a ton of fun. Can't wait to play it later tonight. The official Ghost Recon discord was getting pretty busy last night too, which is nice.

Top Bottom