• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon : Wildlands Open Beta Impressions.

killroy87

Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of Ubi games, but this one seems a bit half baked. There's potential, but it just seems super amateurish, kind of the way The Crew felt as a racing game.

I'll keep an eye out to see what the post launch support is like, but it seems fair to say there are way too many games out right now to make this a priority.

Mercador

Wow just tried it. It's really bad... I can't believe they will launch the game with all these bugs. It's almost Bethesda grade.

This game just feels really terrible. The controls are messy whereas sometimes when I hit a button it doesn't do what it is supposed to. Like, when I am in combat and try to reload with X for some reason it opens my binoculars are whatever it is, and sometimes pressing B to crouch launches the drone. The vehicle controls are awful and the gun play doesn't feel fun at all. It's actually a lot like I feared it would be from the game-play demo and trailers. From the game-play they showed off I thought it looked like enemies died too quickly and the AI were basically bullet sponges and that is what they basically are.

The graphics look pretty terrible which is weird because the PC version feels super demanding in my opinion. Things like the muzzle flash look terrible and the game just doesn't have a good look to it.

emrober5

I think I've owned every Ghost Recon since Island Thunder, but this is a pass for me. I don't like it at all.

We need to see some pvp though.

Not enjoying it myself. I long for the days of the first Ghost Recon. Brilliant multiplayer maps without all the fancy graphics which basically makes it tougher for you to see anything apart from following little icons above enemies heads.

You can turn those icons off you know.

The game gives you plenty if options to play this like a classic ghost recon game, people just dont seem to care

Ml33tninja

Neo Member
It's interesting I admit but not worth the price tag without friends you know imo. It's a Ubisoft world - pretty but shallow. I enjoy the lvling system and feel of the weapons. Driving anything has to be the worst I have experienced in this beta. Something it missing for me but I have a hard time putting my finger on it. Maybe it's the tactical feel of previous ghost games is missing.

nOoblet16

Graphics are trash.
I don't get this, imo this is one of the better looking games out there due to its lighting, draw distance and dense foliage. It's not equal to Horizon Zero Dawn which is an anomaly or Division which has smaller scale but it's still quite good and up there and considerably better than the likes of Fallout 4 or Just Cause 3.

I've played the game on PS Pro and Xbox One and I'll admit that Xbox One version does come up short due to screen tearing, lower resolution and framedrops but PS Pro version is crisp and smooth.

Granted, I only played solo but after an hours play I thought it was absolute arse-gravy. Might try again tomorrow with some friends which is sure to improve the "experience" but it would take a miracle to put this game on my radar.

RedSwirl

Question for everybody: What's the longest distance shot you've made in this beta? It would be nice to see a video of someone sniping a target from literally a mile off. Just doing one of those kinds of missions you see in movies where a sniper team is prone on the side of a mountain ridiculously far away from the target.

Just hopped back into Far Cry 4 for a minute. The difference in scale between this and Wildlands is really apparent. One major affect is in the range at which you engage enemies.

In Far Cry 4 when you use a sniper rifle it's usually because you have to fight enemies more than 50 meters away, but usually at only around 100m or so. In Far Cry 3 bullets actually despawn at 200m (I don't know if it's the same in FC4). In Wildlands (and Arma) a normal engagement with the enemy usually happens at around 200-300m, and that usually happens with a standard assault rifle without a scope. Where I really noticed this difference is when in FC4 I could see an enemy outpost around 550m away but it was barely within the game's draw distance and it hadn't even rendered the guards in that outpost. If this was Wildlands I would've already been able to shoot them with a snipe rifle. If this was Arma I'd be able to do it with a scoped assault rifle if I accounted well enough for bullet drop (maybe in Wildlands too, haven't tried).

Come to think of it the draw distance in Wildlands is an achievement in itself (it looks like several km). If you ever have the draw distance in Arma set that far the game drops down to like 25fps no matter what GPU you have.

I think all Ubisoft servers are down for every game on every platform !!

I can't log into For Honor, Ghost Recon and Siege on Xbox One, you can't log into Ghost Recon on PS4.

So that's why my UPlay achievements wouldn't sync when I played Far Cry 4 just now.

I get what you're saying, now. Thanks. Don't forget to add gtav up there with just cause for your example

Still haven't had the chance to play it but what I've seen looks similar. It's been sitting on my hard drive for ages, but I wanna give San Andreas another shot first. Tried to play that back in 2005 and just bounced right off it. I just couldn't get through the controls at all.

I think GTA has that natural open world where you don't have environment acting as walls but it does not uses it in missions at all. The missions in GTA are as linear and scripted as in any other linear game which I think has been one place where the series has lagged behind and I hope this changes in the future GTA games and Red Dead Redemption 2. Compare this to Watch Dogs 2 where you can enter a location from anywhere you want or can even finish a mission without even entering the location if you want to, do zero kill stealth or even ghost without even touching anyone and you can see how Watch Dogs 2 allows for a lot more freedom in player approach.

That makes me a lot more interested in Watch Dogs 2. I ignored the first one because it didn't look interesting at all.

deejay

Played it with my girlfriend earlier today. She had a hard time getting into it first, but after 30 minutes she was enjoying it as well (controls were the hardest part). Yes, the performance is completely crap, but the game is good fun, especially with a partner or friends. Looking forward to the actual final release.

tilomite!

I played on the og PS4, I enjoyed it. It's not groundbreaking by any means, but it seems like an enjoyable game. It's surprising to see such harsh opinions about it.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
I don't get this, imo this is one of the better looking games out there due to its lighting, draw distance and dense foliage. It's not equal to Horizon Zero Dawn which is an anomaly or Division which has smaller scale but it's still quite good and up there and considerably better than the likes of Fallout 4 or Just Cause 3.

I've played the game on PS Pro and Xbox One and I'll admit that Xbox One version does come up short due to screen tearing, lower resolution and framedrops but PS Pro version is crisp and smooth.

I mean, Fallout 4 isnt much of competition. The draw distance I thought was real bad, things far off just seemed like empty blurs of textures, and things would pop in what seemed like not even 10 feet away. I also dont think any of the explosions and other fx or the character models look all that great.

Played for an hour or two yesterday, and I just wasnt feeling it. Vehicles felt very weird to drive, shooting mechanics were fine but nothing exceptional. I'd rather play something like FC4 or The Division if I'm playing a Ubi game.

I´m playing this open beta for about 6 hours and I enjoyed every moment. The scale of this game is amazing, I enjoy to climb up the hills and to explore this land and there is some jaw dropping scenery. The gun fight is good and the guns are very detailed with a lot of customization.
I am playing it on my PC (6600K 980Ti) and the perfomance is solid: very high, vsync on @1080p60 with little frame drops. When switching to ultra it goes around 30-40 fps. The in game benchmark is good and it gives you a good example how the game runs on your machine. I like the detailed info about the graphics setting, kudos ubisoft. I don´t know why some of you don´t like the graphics, for this type of game it is very good and the draw distance is spectacular.

Bluecondor

I just finished the first boss and just went to the new (hard 5 star) area. I'm almost convinced to preorder this now. I can see me playing this for 50+ hours.

Dabi

It's a fun game. I think a switch from complete open world to missions were each level is open ended would have suited the game better.

Stitch

Gold Member
Serves no purpose, anything that the jump button would do I.e. vaulting or climbing you can do that already.
I got stuck between some rocks and vault/climb didn't work so jumping would have been nice. Had to use fast travel to get out.

Btw I have absolutely no problems with the controls. Even stole a plane and managed to land it too.

Pandy

How do I add a poll to my OP? I would love to see some day 1 vs wait results.
I'm still 50/50 on whether to pre-order, but that's only because of Zelda, and my main friend I play co-op with most often is away at the moment so can't play the beta. Will need to discuss with him before I confirm purchase, but I want to get stuck into Wildlands straight after Zelda.

Day 1(ish).

Dynomutt

As a casual I was not overly impressed.

*The movement feels empty and stiff.

*The flow of the game promotes freedom but can actually lead to confusion and indecision. Sometimes open world is not the best.

*Oddly the cover system is not smooth. I was surprised after playing The Division this game feels like it got taken out of the oven early. Your character hesitates to move smoothly.

*Being responsible for a team I though the AI would interact differently this is not the case. It really feels like The Division meets the openness of Just Cause 3.

*The VA is not the best in the sense that regardless of character creation it have no effect on dialogue.

*I may have not expressed it in the best words but to summarize this game could be worked on for a bit more. It does not feel revolutionary or even evolutionary.

***Kinda feel bad for the "Tom Clancy" name. Soft of feel it is getting played out without the quality we would expect.

Im pretty sure many of the same concerns have been voiced and I am hoping Ubisoft can improve. I am certain this game has it's buyers but it is just not for me Day 1.

I still can't believe this is an Ubisoft game. Say what you will about Ubisoft... although they rehash formulas like crazy, most of their games tend to be pretty high-quality. This one, on the other hand, feels like third-rate trash. I swear, at times it's like I'm playing a F2P or Early Access game from a much, much smaller developer.

Perfect game that sums the worst of all Ubisoft formula: boring open world, empty and bland. Bad controls and useless colectables.

Really meh game. Sums everything bad of this gen.

This would be a really fun co-op game if it controlled just a little bit better. The character controls, okay they aren't the best but they are workable, like a B-grade version of the division (though a dedicated get into cover button would help immensely). But the vehicles are completely unsalvagable, there is no fixing those, not a single one handles well, often times on a dirtbike I'll just fly randomly in a different direction because the games physics don't mesh with it's ground textures and it gets squirrely. Flying machines have no sense of momentum but at the same time, feel immensely heavy (and WHY IS THE PARACHUTE LOCKED BEHIND A FUCKING UPGRADE?) and aren't fun at all to drive.

In a game this big and completely predicated on the driving being good to get from A to B and in order to escape from conflicts, the driving being complete crap just destroys it.

Megasoum

Banned
The game looks interesting but I crash every time I start actually playing on PC... Like I get in the truck at the very beginning and crash... I don't think was able to get more than 30 sec without crashing past the loading.

Bombless

As much as I love the atmosphere of the game, the rest is just so damn boring. Like they had to check all the Ubisoft open world boxes and then call it a day.

The world is beautiful though.

How is the PC performance? Was pretty impressed with how Steep ran on PC.

It acts like a pair of shoe having shoelaces tied together when running on PC.
It's really bad. You need a 1070 to have 60fps lock at very high 1080p, and a 1080 if you want to push it to ultra.

CHC

Wow, impressions seem pretty bad. Not shocked, but still, it's kind of sad.

I will admit - not really a game I was very turned on to in the first place, though. Seems a bit tone-deaf especially given the current political climate, and I'm also not a big fan of Ubi's quasi-military aesthetic that involves trendy athletic clothes and messenger bags mixed with holsters and armored vests. Just looks kind of... creepy hick militia-esque I guess, like those groups along the US-Mexico border that go hunting for immigrants....

Just had a great time taking out cartel bases in 4 man co op, on extreme. It makes it all the better when the backdrop is a flamingo strewn lake.

Has its issues, no doubt. So tempted to hop on though.

I feel like this beta was a mistake. I've gotten my fill out of this game. Certainly had fun with my time in these first zones but I sort get what the game is. A whole bunch more of THIS content is not worth my time.

I am glad the beta came out so that I can now safely cancel my preorder.

eshwaaz

Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of Ubi games, but this one seems a bit half baked. There's potential, but it just seems super amateurish, kind of the way The Crew felt as a racing game.

I'll keep an eye out to see what the post launch support is like, but it seems fair to say there are way too many games out right now to make this a priority.
Same for me - I like quite a bit of Ubisoft's output, but Wildlands really falls short based on the Beta. Very surprised how stiff and mechanical the character movements are; it just does not feel good maneuvering around.

Belker

Playing on Xbox One.

It's janky, but somehow appealing. The frame rate is poor, the controls imprecise but it's cool to team up with friends and provide overwatch as a sniper as your pals move in on foot.

My concern, apart from the technical, is longevity. There's little randomness. Emergence, but not randomness. Enemies always in the same places on missions. Bases always having the same layout.

It needs procedural missions and enemy and resources placement, so that replaying a mission really feels different each time, rather than just picking ways to make it different - where to attack from, vehicles to use - and refining one's ability to complete a particular combat puzzle.

Stilll tempted to buy, though. I can see getting £50 worth of entertainment out of it if I get to play with the same crew.

Top Bottom