• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon : Wildlands Open Beta Impressions.

Nodnol

Played Thursday on my own, and found it fun enough but a little dull after a while.

Played last night with a friend and had a blast. Hopefully a few others get the Beta and we can have a right laugh.

Having his huge tactical playground is quite fun to be honest. The Division, GTA and Far Cry all had a baby that seems great with friends but a bit boring on your own.

yurinka

I'm loving the demo, it's super fun. In co-op more. The worst thing I found are the helicopter and airplane controls, other than that it's great.

They really haven't tweaked the helicopter controls since closed beta, have they? I can't really tell many differences from the last build we played, except that LOD pop-in is much more noticeable on PC.

Not impressed at all sadly.

As a big fan of GRAW and the Xbox Ghost Recon (and Island Thunder) I want to like this but it's just so unexciting and unsurprising. I feel like ive played it all before.

It feels like a copy of Far Cry 4 with worse graphics, janky 3rd person shooting and a bigger but sparser map.

Yeah I can see it being fun with friends but I shouldn't have to rely on my friends to liven up what it essentially a dull game.

120v

dicked around solo for about an hour... not impressed. kinda hoped this would be a fun little time waster and if i really got a feel for things i'd try my luck at matchmaking or find somebody on GAF to play with but i dunno... just seemed the game was going through the motions. thought it'd look a lot better on ultra too

probably will be a decent enough game, especially with friends. but not the mgsV lite i was hoping for

YoungOne

It's alright in co op, a pick up at a lower price if you got a group to play with. The driving controls and physics of it really need some work.

JCH!

Why is this game so easy?

Have been playing on extreme with a friend and even the second area -which is rated 5 skulls out of 5 for difficulty- is not really a challenge. The only times we fail missions is when we goof around.

I've managed to find some fun in methodically marking and then sync-shooting people. I'll probably buy it since I'm a sucker for third-person open-world shooter games but no where near full price in this state.

Cob32

dicked around solo for about an hour... not impressed. kinda hoped this would be a fun little time waster and if i really got a feel for things i'd try my luck at matchmaking or find somebody on GAF to play with but i dunno... just seemed the game was going through the motions. thought it'd look a lot better on ultra too

probably will be a decent enough game, especially with friends. but not the mgsV lite i was hoping for

It's not that good solo imo. Playing with friends stealthily and tactically is where it really shines.

Exiting like a boss

9PzpzMb.gif

This game's physics can be hilarious at times.

Sidon

I'm enjoying it, more than I thought. It has its flaws, like really really REALLY terrible vehicle controls and yes, it's a typical Ubisoft icon-a-thon, but going all stealthily, calling out shots on a base and pulling off that perfect sync never gets old.

Not sure yet if I'll get it at full price though, mainly since we have Horizon and Zelda (WiiU for me) coming up next week.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
I was not planning on this game making an impact on me at all or even being on my radar. I had my sights set for other upcoming games...But once I started getting into the gameplay systems more, the more it scratched that MGSV itch. I'm not saying this game is as good as MGSV gameplay wise(not by a longshot), but something about Wildlands gave me the same feelings I felt playing that game. It needs some enemy a.i. tweaks and it's unfortunate that it doesn't have a quick dive button. However the openness, marking targets before engaging an area, and the general stealth action was there for me. I need to see some reviews first but now I am considering purchasing it sooner than later.

ty_hot

I played some more today, the second area is much more difficult. I was flying an helicopter and out of nowhere missiles were coming. Turns out I was flying over a training camp from the militia lol Then I had to kill 3 of the instructors there, but it was vert difficult, mt drone was jammed and they killed me over and over again. The first area of the map is in the easiest difficult and the other the hardest. Big difference, makes it much more challenging. WIll play more later.

Stopped so my girlfriend could play Uncharted Collection... and the remaster is much more beautiful than Wildlands. yeah, the scale is totally different, but its a PS3 game with some improvements and higher resolution. I wont even talk about the animations...

But as I said before, the game has lots of problems, but it can be really fun to play.

TI82

Banned
Really.... Dull? I dunno, seems well made but just so boring. Like all the bad parts of GTA and FarCry with weird gameplay. Really glad I got the beta because I thought this looked so cool but nope

IvorB

I am not getting those vibes at all. I never commanded a squad with a tactical wheel in Watch Dogs or Far Cry. This feels nothing like either of those games. It actually puts me in mind of old GR and Rainbow six as far as that goes. Only it's in a huge open world with a lot more toys and killer customization.

Okay cool. To be honest I have played neither Watch Dogs nor Far Cry but I didn't like the sound of that at all.

So gave this a try. Initial thoughts:
-Much better character choices than The Division. Wish they would patch those options in to that game.
-Story is problematic
-Protag come across a bit douche-y in the intro.
-Pet Peeve: if you're going to have me design a character as a somewhat avatar then please don't give them a whole back story involving wife and kids.
-Setting was nice. Loved the jungle location. Was looking forward to some tactical ops but then the big one:
-What the hell is wrong with the drone? Why does it last only 5 seconds? It's the most annoying thing. You have it up for a few seconds then it resets for a really short cool down before you can use it again. How can I plan my op that way?

ty_hot

Okay cool. To be honest I have played neither Watch Dogs nor Far Cry but I didn't like the sound of that at all.

-Much better character choices than The Division. Wish they would patch those options in to that game.
-Story is problematic
-Pet Peeve: if you're going to have me design a character as a somewhat avatar then please don't give them a whole back story involving wife and kids.
-Setting was nice. Loved the jungle location. Was looking forward to some tactical ops but then the big one:
-What the hell is wrong with the drone? Why does it last only 5 seconds? It's the most annoying thing. You have it up for a few seconds then it resets for a really short cool down before you can use it again. How can I plan my op that way?
you need skill points to upgrade your drone. mine has a larger battery, night vision and a better horizontal range.

Chumley

Banned
I might be the only one saying this but on PC I'm enjoying this a lot solo. Swooping in on a camp in a helicopter, scoping out the area with a drone, and then sneaking in and taking everyone out Splinter Cell style is really cool and a fun gameplay loop to listen to podcasts to.

It's also already way more exciting and varied than The Division ever was. No contest.

ironcreed

Banned

-Story is problematic

You can upgrade the drone to last longer. There are skill trees that branch off.

Tovarisc

I feel the complete opposite way. This feels like a poor man's The Division to me.

For me setting is biggest thing putting those two apart. WL is good for that tactical coop play in Bolivia's more barren environments where Divisions pulls comes from its setting and story. Also reason why I feel that Division DLC was letdown, next to no story and world development.

nOoblet16

Regarding The Division, that's a very different game. Division is a full blown RPG with enemy levels and what not which is why you have "bullet sponges", Wildlands is a shooter with usual skill trees and it is not really "loot focused" like Division despite there being a gameplay feature related to finding weapon parts and customisations.

The second area is much better, more even and smoother terrain means driving feels better. The enemies are harder and the bears are bigger. The first area made me feel like this is nothing but a Farcry game in TPS without the crazy stuff. One thing I don't like though is how in a lot of open world games that promise emergent gameplay and freedom the bases only have one or two clear points of entry and there is no other way. MGSV suffered from this too at times when in main missions, and this game suffers from it in big missions as well. For other missions you do have a lot more freedom. Farcry and Watch Dogs 2 have so far has been the only game I have played recently that truly allow you even in main missions to enter an area however the hell you want while still using the inbuilt gameplay mechanics.

DjDonFrancisco

Neo Member
Played 1 solo mission last night and didn't enjoy it one bit. On paper, The game sounds like it should be amazing, but in reality, it's pretty clunky and boring. Looks like a pass for me.

Pjsprojects

I just tried this again after trying the closed beta on PC. They have defo improved performance because 4k at 30fps is now possible apart from the odd micro stutter.

Has anyone installed this on a SSD to see if it cures the random stutter?

Peroroncino

Me and my mates playing Pokemon Go on our phones in da choppa!

16826025_1406611806067321_7391989084184908990_o.jpg

Just checking if it's comfrotable!

0v8hAVN.jpg

And some sync-shooting from our makeshift sniper's perch!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NlRwKmQXdFQ

I noticed yesterday that there's some weird glitch with suppressors when playing co-op, sometimes they desync and I can hear loud gunshots from my teammates weapons, but so do the enemy, even though they have a silencer equipped on their screens.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I was not planning on this game making an impact on me at all or even being on my radar. I had my sights set for other upcoming games...But once I started getting into the gameplay systems more, the more it scratched that MGSV itch. I'm not saying this game is as good as MGSV gameplay wise(not by a longshot), but something about Wildlands gave me the same feelings I felt playing that game. It needs some enemy a.i. tweaks and it's unfortunate that it doesn't have a quick dive button. However the openness, marking targets before engaging an area, and the general stealth action was there for me. I need to see some reviews first but now I am considering purchasing it sooner than later.

Have you played Sniper Elite 4? It ticks all the boxes you mentioned, and is overall a much better designed game than this.

I'm playing this on Xbox One and i have a LG EC9300. For some reason the game seems to suffer from weird graphical glitches or effects. For example in the starting area when i rotate the camera around i flickering effects on the ground and also around/on the foliage. I am using the game mode on this TV which has been absolutely fine for any other game. Anyone else have this as well?

Why is this game so easy?

Have been playing on extreme with a friend and even the second area -which is rated 5 skulls out of 5 for difficulty- is not really a challenge. The only times we fail missions is when we goof around.

Holy crap, is that second area really 5 out of 5 for difficulty? It was still super easy.

Zasa

Man, I wish they used Bolivian accents instead of (your all too common in games Mexican one). Or at least try some South American accent & their slang. Just ruins the immersion at times for me tbh. Sounds nothing like something you'd hear in Bolivia, not even a single character/enemy/civilian.

Most people won't care, or even notice, granted. But it's still a nitpick for me. It's like playing Watch Dogs 2/The Division & everyone has a really thick (deep) Southern accent.

Edit: Obviously, Cartel enemies aside.

The division definitely made a way more positive first impression, and that game ended up being just OK. First impressions of this beta are very meh.

The visuals on PC look pretty impressive, but it doesn't run very well. On my 6600k and 1070 it's around 30fps on ultra, but it doesn't really seems like it should be running that poorly. I can get a 60 fps lock on very high but there are some significant downgrades in visuals.

The controls on mouse & KB feel bad for some reason. It plays much better with a controller. The vehicle controls on cars and helicopters are awful regardless of input method.

The game just lacks polish, and I'm not really seeing a lot of diversity to be had in the gameplay. I want it to have the stealth gameplay of like MGS 5, but it just doesn't.

I already bought a code on PC so I'm in, just would be surprised if this game holds my attention for long.

MUnited83

For you.
I'm enjoying the beta quite a bit. So great for co-op. Sniping people in a base while my bro infilters and sneaks inside, setting up mines and c4s in the road and setting up in a nearby hill to take out a convoy... love it.

Runs great on Very High on my 87o too.

RedSwirl

Most people here seem to be coming at this beta from the direction of MGSV or GRAW, which is the obvious situation.

I think I'm more willing to put up with the jank because I"m coming at this game from the opposite direction: Arma 3. That game has the same emphasis on a massive world and do-it-how-you-want gameplay, but with mechanics that are 10 times jankier. This game sort of feels like Arma but more turned towards mainstream audiences.

Tovarisc

Is it just me or the optimization for PC is terrible?
I have a 1060 3Gb but can only average at 65 fps at 1080p very low setting.

How big gap is between 980Ti and 1060? Genuine question, I haven't kept track on Pascal benches. I have 980Ti and get locked 60FPS when 1080p and Very High settings + textures on Ultra.

How big gap is between 980Ti and 1060? Genuine question, I haven't kept track on Pascal benches. I have 980Ti and get locked 60FPS when 1080p and Very High settings + textures on Ultra.

1060 is about 20-30% slower than 980ti depending on the game.
I think your performace is in line with mine. I get around 45fps at very high setting.

I'm able to get 60fps on Very High with hbao+ and ultra textures on a 1070. Ultra preset is mostly 30. Anyone know what the setting(s) is that is murdering frame rate?

trikster40

Amazing game with friends, I can see how it might get dull alone. The beta got me to preorder. Absolute blast. It gets a LOT tougher in the second area

Edit: Just wish it had a cover system.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Have you played Sniper Elite 4? It ticks all the boxes you mentioned, and is overall a much better designed game than this.

I've played Sniper Elite 2 and 3 and they did not give me those vibes at all. They also felt punishing to play if you didn't utilize the main aspect of the game which is sniping. Unless Sniper Elite 4 is a huge departure from previous entries I'm not sure if that is the game I'm looking for.

nOoblet16

If this game had a bit more depth to its stealth and combat it'd have been perfect. The sync system is a bit shit and unintuitive, the stealth would have been improved ten folds if the alert/search system was better than magically homing into player position like in Watch Dogs 2.

Basically this game would have been amazing if it had some of the mechanics of MGSV.

J

JeremyEtcetera

Unconfirmed Member
Basically this game would have been amazing if it had some of the mechanics of MGSV.

I agree and it comes so close too. It is on the cusp of greatness but it's just missing key things that made MGSV as great as it is.

Really not a fan of the controls at all. The auto aim is way too much and trying to play without it is just terrible. I don't really know how to describe it but it feels very tanky and non-responsive. I think there's a bad delay between analog stick movement and the camera.

Ont

I have been playing single player today and I am actually having a lot of fun with it. Obviously the co-op is still a much better experience.

Also the new area is really cool. There are some really nice looking locations in this game.

The mission structure where you gather intelligence first makes entering a new area interesting. It makes more sense in this black ops context than fetching items in fantasy RPGs.

Vehicle sounds could be improved though. Handling is not really a problem for me, just the sounds on dirt bikes etc are bit underwhelming.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I have been playing single player today and I am actually having a lot of fun with it. Obviously the co-op is still a much better experience.

Also the new area is really cool. There are some really nice looking locations in this game.

The mission structure where you gather intelligence first makes entering a new area interesting.

Vehicle sounds could be improved though. Handling is not really a problem for me, just the sounds on dirt bikes etc are bit underwhelming.

The vehicle sounds are so awful I find it amazing that they passed internal critique.

Vehicle sounds have always been awful in Far Cry as well. In Wildlands, they hit a new bar of terrible. They are almost inaudible.

xealo

As a ghost recon/stealth game, this seems pretty poor from my time with it playing on Extreme mode. Went from mildly interested to cautious bargain bin buy.

Team AI is pretty poor for both your squad and the enemy, bodies vanish as soon as they go off screen for me, and it lacks the ability to knock somebody out and then pull the body into hiding.
They move about in manners that gets them spotted by enemies even though I didn't. Vehicle handling is pretty bad and it feels like I'm fighting the controls more than the enemy, especially in choppers.

You also cannot command your team individually but all 3 at once only. It could also really use some sort of pre mission planner for the AI.
e.g give them instructions about what to do and when, such as taking up sniper position from an elevation and staying there.
Turning off hud elements such as location markers also seems to break the ability to do sync kills.
Most of my missions so far inevitably devolve into a shoot-out because of the above.

I'm sure it might be a fun coop game, but as a single player experience, just no.

theRizzle

I've played Sniper Elite 2 and 3 and they did not give me those vibes at all. They also felt punishing to play if you didn't utilize the main aspect of the game which is sniping. Unless Sniper Elite 4 is a huge departure from previous entries I'm not sure if that is the game I'm looking for.

It is.

Top Bottom