• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Song Kickstarter - Metroid meets Dark Souls - GAFer made - funded!

I don't usually do Kickstarter, but I backed this for $25. Good luck to you fellow GAFfers; this looks and sounds lovely. I'd bloody love a Vita version though guys, as I don't play PC games much.

charsace

Backed at $25. Best of luck to you guys, I'll be cheering for your Kickstarter's success.

Getting a bit of a Turrican vibe as well.

No, no Turrican vibe. You and your Turrican vibe can sit in the corner. There's a few Turrican vibe indie games out there for you to play. Metroid vibe's time now.

One thing which might be worth bearing in mind: Jeffrey Matulef from Eurogamer reports on a lot of Kickstarter projects, so maybe someone could email this to them as a tip, and they might run a story on it. (I cannot, as I can't access EG from work).

Fireblend

Banned
Have you considered adding a double or triple copy tier? Something like "pledge $33 and get 3 copies of the game/steam keys" so that people will try to convince friends (who wouldn't normally get the game) to help them back the game so they can buy it for $11 each or something like that :p

Is there a way for me to give funds for this without going through Kickstarter?

I don't see a way mentioned, but I'm sure if you message Matt White directly there will be other options for donating. Maybe the game has its own webpage and you can donate by PayPal, as I've seen that a few times with crowdfunded games.

Jobbs

Banned
Is there a way for me to give funds for this without going through Kickstarter?

I've heard this a couple times now, and I'm really grateful that people want to do this. I'll look into setting up some kind of paypal link or something, and you have my thanks.

Does anyone know if it's okay to add such a thing to a KS listing? Is this against any rules?

Have you considered adding a double or triple copy tier? Something like "pledge $33 and get 3 copies of the game/steam keys" so that people will try to convince friends (who wouldn't normally get the game) to help them back the game so they can buy it for $11 each or something like that :p

This is a good idea and I may add it. :)

Looks amazing. I will never stop being blown away by the visuals. I have to say that the music isn't what I was expecting though. I hope there are some slower, darker, somber and moody tunes mixed into the soundtrack as well. This KS caught me off guard and I wish you guys all the luck.

rybrad

I've heard this a couple times now, and I'm really grateful that people want to do this. I'll look into setting up some kind of paypal link or something, and you have my thanks.

Does anyone know if it's okay to add such a thing to a KS listing? Is this against any rules?

This is a good idea and I may add it. :)
I back way too many Kickstarter games and I can tell you almost all of them add a Paypal link eventually. What most do though is wait until the KS meets the funding goal to avoid having to refund people on Paypal if the Kickstarter ends up not being funded.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

It's allowed, but I'd recommend waiting until your goal is met to post it.

EDIT: Beaten by mere seconds!

Put $5 even though I don't like Metroid games. Gotta support fellow GAFers!

Supported with a swiftness typically reserved for Obsidian! Can't wait to play it, and stoked for the Mac support (since that's what comes with me wherever I go). Looking forward to the updates!

Teppic

Backed!

I'm not completely sold on it yet. I'd like to see more of how the gameplay will be in the final game. The music isn't really for me.

.la1n

Oh yiss you can have all my money for something that looks this great. Glad someone still cares about metroidvania games.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
Saw this thread before heading to work. Click on thread title -> click on Kickstarter link -> backed.
I've been following the game in the indie thread from the beginning. It's very, very promising. Can't wait to play it.

kyubajin

Backet at $15, really have the sensation this game is gonna deserve the price of admission. All the best Jobbs!

Jobbs, you shouldn't be the least bit self-conscious about the Super Metroid similarities. It was a close to perfect entry in the genre, and there hasn't been anything that has matched the atmosphere and gameplay since. There NEEDS to be more of it, and anyone criticizing you for taking inspiration from a game made 20 years ago has no perspective. Half Life looks nearly identical to a few dozen other shooters, but that doesn't stop it from being the pinnacle of achievement in its genre.

Backed!
Game looks like a lot of fun and absolutly beautiful. I'v been in the mood for these types of games, ever since I've finished Dust.

Ocaso

Jobbs, you shouldn't be the least bit self-conscious about the Super Metroid similarities. It was a close to perfect entry in the genre, and there hasn't been anything that has matched the atmosphere and gameplay since. There NEEDS to be more of it, and anyone criticizing you for taking inspiration from a game made 20 years ago has no perspective. Half Life looks nearly identical to a few dozen other shooters, but that doesn't stop it from being the pinnacle of achievement in its genre.

I second this. The ostensibly bizarre and alien look that characterized Zebes is something rarely seen outside of Metroid games themselves and, provided they're done with care and panache, there's nothing at all wrong if another game draws inspiration from that aesthetic. I'll take that over the myriad of Earthy locales that otherwise populate gaming any day of the week. Everything I've seen thus far looks wonderful. Stick to your vision, Jobbs! You're not the only one who appreciates it!

69wpm

I contacted Dan Adelman on Twitter earlier and here is his response:

Thanks for the heads up. Looks cool. I can't help them port it, but I can definitely let them know how they can get started!

So, if you're interested, shoot him an e-mail.

Not really my type of game but I backed it anyway. Art style is beautiful. Makes me want to design a tshirt for it for some reason lol.

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
My goodness this looks gorgeous. The heavy Metroid inspiration just makes me want it more.

BACKED GOOD SIR!

Top Bottom