• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GI #211: Resistance 3 info- Glorious return of the weapon wheel!

cnizzle06

Banned
Wow, this sounds like a serious departure from the original. Hm, where to begin...

The campaign seems to have a more serious tone this time around.
Will new costumes be included?
Can we manipulate the gravity this time?
Are there new sound effects?
Is the paint gun making a comeback?
Is sackboy being replaced by this new character?

Looking forward to hearing more.

fallagin

I'm glad the magnum is returning, it was pretty much the best weapon in resistance 2. At least in terms of awesomeness.

Camwi

Thank you so much for bringing back the weapon wheel, Insomniac. That was one of my very few complaints about Resistance 2.

Agent X

I just read the Game Informer article. Lots of good information in there.

nskinnear said:
Nice to see the weapon wheel back. Although, I'm not really surprised. I think that was the most requested feature by fans :p

Yeah, I agree...and the article says that this wasn't a response to "anyone in particular" but about making the kind of game that they want to make. Perhaps so, but I still believe that the fan feedback must have had at least some influence on this decision. After all, wouldn't the decision to abandon the R:FoM weapon wheel for R2 also be about "making the kind of game that they want to make"?

jonabbey said:
Yay, weapon wheel. R2's "hey, we've got a ton of cool weapons, all of which you'll find right when we want you to use them!" got way, way, way, way old.

That also annoyed me in R2.

I should be doing hw said:
Never bought R2, I think I'll just keep it that way and get this.

R2 is certainly worth picking up. Even though there have been numerous complaints leveled at the game by Resistance fans (myself included), there are also some really great aspects to the game.

fallagin

cnizzle06 said:
Wow, this sounds like a serious departure from the original. Hm, where to begin...

Yes.
Yes.
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes
yes

Edit: oh and HELL YES

yencid

cnizzle06 said:

i really dont know if this is serious or was a mistake D:

Raoh

lastinline said:
Interesting information there.

*sees weapon wheel has returned*

OH YEAH!!!

Edit: Wait, what? No R2-like co-op? Seriously? :( That was my favorite thing about R2.

same here.. i was hoping more devs would follow suit and make more fps co op games like resistance 2..

but still resistance is my favorite when it comes to story line in the fps genre..

Campaign co-op > side co-op.

If I want to show off an awesome and exciting campaign to my friends, let me be able to actually play it with them!

Glad they've added this back in. Now it just needs to be confirmed for Killzone 3...

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Glad about the weapon wheel, but the 60 player matches were so badass! I loved those. So much chaos.

Very happy the Weapon Wheel is returning. :D

Curious about weapon upgrading. Is it in SP or MP or both? Simple leveling(exp) or distribution of parts? Do the weapons change drastically(from pistol to mega black hole zapper) or just small adjustments (increased range, Auger going through more walls).

jstevenson said:
Laelaps said:
The world has gotten a lot colder. It's like an ice age.
Hope there will still be green environments, I really liked those in R2.

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
mr_nothin said:
Wow, I love the look of the forum. It's so clean and stylish. I thought that was an article you guys wrote :lol

yar - it needs a slight overhaul to be a bit more usable to go with the style... but that's basically done and just needs to be rolled out.

Shurs

Byakuya769 said:
Fuck? No group co-op? Though rough at places, that was a really innovative mode. What the hell....

That's what I was thinking. It was the most innovative part of R2 and it's a shame they're not iterating on it in Resistance 3.

Ploid 3.0

but no alternate story co-op like R2

noooobirdsjf5.jpg

This can't be, there better be another game in the works built around this awesome 6+ co-op fps exp, loot, tanks/healers/DDs gameplay. Looks like I should just grab Borderlands but it's so not the same (it seem).

you see the distant flames
they bellow in the night
you fight in all our names
for what we know is right
and when you all get shot
and cannot carry on
though you die, La Resistance lives on!

you may get stabbed in the head
with a dagger or a sword
you may be burned to death
or skinned alive or worse
but when they torture you
you will not feel the need to run
for though you die, La Resistance lives on

They may cut your dick in half
and serve it to a pig
and though it hurts you'll laugh
and dance a dickless jig
but that's the way it goes
in war you're shat upon
though you die la resistance lives ooooooooooonnnnnnnnnnn!

jg6sz4.jpg

keuja

Ploid 3.0 said:
This can't be, there better be another game in the works built around this awesome 6+ co-op fps exp, loot, tanks/healers/DDs gameplay. Looks like I should just grab Borderlands but it's so not the same (it seem).

That was the mode i wanted the most! I loved it in R2....
A 2 player only co-op doesn't look as fun. And it's not even a dedicated campaign??? fuuuck!!!

Split-screen campaign co-op returns! FUCK YES. Love you Insomniac! Now GG just needs to get that shit in KZ3.

EDIT: ohhhh Chimeran plant life? I like where they're going with this.

Capelli is the main character, he has defected from the military and started a family

Does the military still even exist? I would hope so because if not, then damn this is gonna be one depressing game.

Also those suits were badass.

e3-intro-03.jpg

Holy crap, this sounds so amazing. Super-anticipating R3. I do hope they answer some of the mysterious questions that have been kicking around for the last couple of games like the Chimera's origins and why they were trapped away,
the deal with the planets in the sky
, all that jazz.

So Capelli married Hale's sister? Jeez, that must've been an awkward first date.

"So, you served with my brother huh?"
"Uh... yeah, great guy."
"Haven't heard from him in a while, where's he at?"
"Oh yeah, about that..."

I hope they somehow bring Hale back into the story. Loved that guy. Dunno why. Probably that dreamy voice :lol Though he's dead, so I guess he won't be back. Maybe as a legend among the survivors.

Suzzopher

Rated-Rsuperstar said:
Does the military still even exist? I would hope so because if not, then damn this is gonna be one depressing game.

Also those suits were badass.

e3-intro-03.jpg

I could never get my multi player skin I bought to work in game :/ No one at Insomniac or Sony could help me either.

All this info sounds great, and certainly sounds like they are going back to the basics of the original. Were it not for The Last Guardian, this would be my most wanted PS3 game:D

Agent X said:
R2 is certainly worth picking up. Even though there have been numerous complaints leveled at the game by Resistance fans (myself included), there are also some really great aspects to the game.
I might take you up on that. If I can find it under $20 (AUD) then I'd definitely bite. Or, seeing as GAF hates it so much, anyone here want to just send me their copy? If I'm reading correctly a lot of people here wouldn't miss it. :lol

please tell me theres a chance for at least a 4 player co op, i mean this feature is really needed.

i'd take 8 player side story over campaign co op every day

NightHawk17 said:
please tell me theres a chance for at least a 4 player co op, i mean this feature is really needed.

i'd take 8 player side story over campaign co op every day
Same it was the best mode in R2.

VERY nice news. VERY nice. Excited is the word.

Wait... is the 8 player co-op mission thingy gone?... People thought that was brilliant. I loved that.

Yoboman

Seems like they are doing a lot to entice players of R1 back, but what's there for people who weren't exactly big on either?

Yoboman

Always-honest said:
They give them the opportunity to play other games.
:\ So we should expect nothing new from this, just a return to the stuff that worked in the first game?

Trick_GSF

Banned
Love the progression from war-torn world to straight up post apocalyptic world. Everything is sounding great so far. Hyped for gameplay footage.

sflufan

Banned
Alright, I'm REALLY curious as to how the end of R2 is going to tie-in with this game. I mean, didn't it seem like Hale and Capelli were on another planet or another dimension at the end of R2?

Trick_GSF

Banned
sflufan said:
Alright, I'm REALLY curious as to how the end of R2 is going to tie-in with this game. I mean, didn't it seem like Hale and Capelli were on another planet or another dimension at the end of R2?

I think Earth just got transported as a whole to somewhere else in the universe.

Eccocid

bah is it set in USA again?
I would like to see more of Europe like in R1. More destroyed landmarks and european architecture.And Nazis! Infected Nazis! lol

Top Bottom