• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[GI] Massive interview with BioWare leads on Mass Effect, Dragon Age, studio, more

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Picked up the latest Game Informer and, along with Andromeda being the cover story, Matt Bertz has an extremely comprehensive 15 page interview with several current and former leads at BioWare (including the doctors) covering the studio's origins, early projects, EA acquisition, TOR, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, that ending, and heaps more.

I don't want to write a transcript because it's worth buying for the full scoop, but I figured people would be interested in the cliff notes. Here they by subject.

BioWare's origins:
- BioWare = "software for humans"
- Started building medical education software.
- Began in Greg Zeschuk's basement.
- Didn't take salaries for five years, working as doctors to make ends meet.
- Conceptualised Shattered Steel and Battleground Infinity.
- Cold called their list of "top ten publishers" over and over until someone would finally look at something.
- Nine of the ten publishers made offers, namely on Shattered Steel.
- Battleground Infinity was an RPG/RTS hybrid based around different gods. Helped leverage securing the ability to make Baldur's Gate.

Baldur's Gate:
- Considered it an RTS/RPG hybrid, influenced by stuff like Command & Conquer and Warcraft II.
- Jagged Alliance influenced the way characters react to things.
- Missed its original Christmas period release, publisher was worried about further investment believing both RPGs and Dungeons and Dragons weren't major genre/brands any more.
- Sales forecast was 70,000 units in the USA, 0 in Europe.
- CompUSA (retailer) had little interest in the game.
- Believe Diablo and Baldur's Gate, both launching around the same time, helped revive some faith in RPGs.
- CompUSA would later call up Brian Fargo and beg for units at no cost to BioWare/publisher, as they had ordered zero. The buyer requesting was later fired.
- Took awhile for the impact of success to be apparent.

Baldur's Gate II:
- Targeted improving user interface, graphical resolution, and tighten the story.
- Almost no engine changes between the two games. Focused mainly in design improvement.
- Were told that Final Fantasy VII had better developed characters than Baldur's Gate, spurring a lot of effort to improve character development, interaction, romances, etc in Baldur's Gate II.
- Felt very competitive with SquareSoft.
- The big challenge was writing compelling interactions and developments for characters relative to the main character that could in theory be any race/gender/background, versus established characters in stuff like Final Fantasy VII.
- Continued adding content right up until the end.

Neverwinter Nights:
- Vision for project was clear, but development very challenging and complicated.
- Wanted to fully capture the essence of Dungeons & Dragons, namely user developed and shared content.
- Interplay's issues impacted development. At the time no-one had been paid royalties from Baldur's Gate II.
- Constant negotiations between publishers to help finance the title.
- Admit that since Neverwinter Nights BioWare has shifted more towards story and away from user generated content. Wish they'd pushed a bit harder in the latter direction, but time/resources shaped direction.

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic:
- Were in talks to do an X-Men RPG, Lord of the Rings game, and other major licenses at the time.
- LucasArts suggested doing something set between the movies, but BioWare wanted more creative freedom.
- Once locked in rarely felt constricted by LucasArts in creative freedoms.
- Aimed to make a more cinematic experience than Baldur's Gate, akin to the movies.
- The Sixth Sense and Fight Club influenced the twist.
- Never expected the twist to be as well received as it was, as the internal team reaction was lukewarm.

Jade Empire:
- Wanted to create a setting unique and fresh from science fiction and fantasy.
- Influenced by Legend of the Five Rings and many Kung Fu movies.
- Had been discussed as a potential setting dating back to Baldur's Gate.
- Demo was built in Baldur's Gate engine around that era.
- Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon made them feel they were on the right path.
- Had trouble communicating their real time combat game systems as it was not a language they were used to.
- Took so long to develop due to it starting as a blank slate. Feel it was a transition from old-school RPGs to new-school RPGs.
- Rough development, feel a lot of content didn't work out as well as it could, complex character stories hidden that they feel most players probably didn't discover.
- Retrospectively would have liked to delay it for polish and improvement and have it become an Xbox 360 launch game.
- Jade Empire 2 was being conceptualised / worked on, but shut down due to development difficulties and issues at the studio, namely having too many projects going at once (five projects in addition to Mass Effect and Dragon Age). Studio needed to focus on more specific projects.

EA Acquisition:
- Talks with publishers for acquisition/partnerships began being taken seriously around 2005, mainly because BioWare needed the capital to build their vision of an MMORPG.
- Got an offer from EA that they "couldn't refuse".
- Offer was very open and allowed for creative freedom along with staff security. Wanted to expand the business, have greater global reach, and offer more benefits to staff.
- A lot of concern, nervousness, and scepticism from staff due to EA's reputation of acquiring and closing developers.
- EA had adopted a city-state business model where studios operated relatively independent of each other, and stated they'd leave BioWare alone.
- EA were upfront with knowing of their reputation and the worry staff have.

Star Wars: The Old Republic:
- BioWare began pursuing an MMORPG dating back to 2005.
- Felt it was a logical next-step in evolving their RPG design, influenced by other successful MMORPGs, but well aware of the risks and difficulties.
- Pitches included MMORPGs based on Dragon Age, Game of Thrones, and The Dark Tower. Considered a "The Silmarillion" MMORPG. Christopher Tolkien wouldn't take their calls.
- Star Wars was the logical franchise to reach a large audience.
- Recognise the endgame was a little thin. Wanted to encourage replaying multiple paths.
- Realised they had to build more content and quickly, because you can't compare your launch to the launch of other MMORPGs, but instead the quantity of content they have now after their updates.
- Didn't launch as the success they wanted. Doing very well now.

Mass Effect:
- Was always pitched as a trilogy, a space opera, something that couldn't be covered in one game.
- Wanted to adult-up BioWare's usual game style, tackling more complex themes, emotions, and moments.
- Knew the three game arc would revolve around Shepard's escalating conflict with the Reapers, and that the ultimate endgame would be the showdown you see in Mass Effect 3.
- Announcing it as a trilogy was to garner attention and paint a picture of fans and BioWare being in it for the long haul.
- Microsoft were concerned it was "too much like Halo".
- Combat system was completely changed two months before shipping. Many other aggressive changes, like the interface that wasn't working two-three months before launch.
- Microsoft's usability labs were very useful for real-world player feedback.

Mass Effect 2:
- Were committed from the start to not just reuse the same mechanics for all three games. Always open to doing things better.
- Based on feedback targeted better combat (as cover shooter combat was becoming popularised), and more updated technology.

Mass Effect 3:
- Oblivious to the criticism of the ending as it was being developed, and just after launch, due to critical acclaim. Suddenly a wave of criticism.
- Considered numerous facets of the game as part of the "ending", but realise people weigh on the last 30 seconds or so.
- Feel that because the whole game is about making choices and controlling the character, losing that agency damages the premise, and that was a fundamental issue with the ending more than just the dialogue. People want to pick their own ending.
- Were only just getting used to social media, had issue handling the ending criticism being a hot topic.
- A lot of support from other developers for BioWare's accomplishments in seeing the game through, but some of that support turned against them when they announced the Extended Cut would patch in extra content.
- Clarified they were not aiming to add a new ending or anything like that, but instead add clarity, as feedback from fans was that they wanted to know more as to what happened.

Dragon Age:
- Went through a lot of changes as people were working on its concept dating back to when Neverwinter Nights shipped.
- Was a multiplayer game, then single player, then back and forth again, PC only, then consoles.
- Took a long time to develop due to building an engine alongside broad ambition.
- Development issues. People in the team pulling the game in different directions, right down to the type of game it is, engine, etc. Become more about people implementing their own individual things. Required focus.
- Probably oversold the Grey Warden in marketing.

Dragon Age II:
- Start to finish development took about 14 months.
- Were working on the concept that would later become Dragon Age: Inquisition at the time, but were asked to turn it around quicker in part due to The Old Republic not doing as well as expected.
- Wanted to tell a more personal story, even if it was a departure from BioWare norm.
- Feel the biggest mistake was reusing environments and pretending that they were different. Poorly handled asset and area reuse, trying to pass off copies as new places. Consider it a very valid criticism.
- Admit they tried to streamline it too far, in part to meet the tight production timeline. Failed to deliver on variety, a strong plot and premise. Over focus on action in the new combat system.
- Weren't entirely sure it should be called Dragon Age II, and actually had the working title Dragon Age: Exodus.

Doctors Leaving BioWare
- Consider development on Mass Effect 3 melancholic as they were questioning how long they wanted to continue in the industry.
- Ending controversy had no influence on their departure. Felt they had accomplished what they needed to over the 20 years.
- Felt confident that senior staff could take the studio reigns.

Dragon Age: Inquisition:
- A lot of "soul searching" based on lessons learned from Dragon Age II.
- "Dragon Age II definitely had lasting psychic scars on the Dragon Age team."
- Wasn't simple moving over to Frostbite and knowing the game had to launch on five platforms.
- Felt enormous pressure due to both the poor reception of Dragon Age II and Inquisition being the first game without Ray and Greg's involvement at the studio.
- Looked at the trajectory of BioWare games from Baldur's Gate and felt they had gotten smaller and tighter. Wanted to go back to exploration emphasis.
- Admit exploration was not perfectly implemented and there are a lot of lessons to be learned from games that came after.
- Feel good that their games now reassert an aspect of world exploration, instead of regressing to "a budget version of Uncharted".
- Never wanted to make a Skyrim-clone, with one big open world. Still wanted to push rich story elements to live up to the franchise name.
- Most successful game launch at BioWare.

Awesome, gonna try to track down a copy. Love reading about Jade Empire. That's really kind of heartbreaking to hear about the ME3 effect, though :(

On the topic of Dragon Age, the podcast I'm on recently had Mike Laidlaw on (Creative Director of DA) and he provided some really good insight into both the studio, cross development between franchises, and Dragon Age as a series in terms of mistakes made and where they'd like to go in the future

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk4f1IsanL4

If you're interested in the series you may find some of the stuff he says very revelatory

(Oh and he LOVES Witcher 3 :p)

Thanks for posting this. I think I'll pick up the digital copy to read the whole thing.

Couple of things I find interesting:
Jade Empire:
- Retrospectively would have liked to delay it for polish and improvement and have it become an Xbox 360 launch game.
- Jade Empire 2 was being conceptualised / worked on, but shut down due to development difficulties and issues at the studio, namely having too many projects going at once (five projects in addition to Mass Effect and Dragon Age). Studio needed to focus on more specific projects.

EA Acquisition:
- Talks with publishers for acquisition/partnerships began being taken seriously around 2005, mainly because BioWare needed the capital to build their vision of an MMORPG.

Star Wars: The Old Republic:
- Star Wars was the logical franchise to reach a large audience.

Mass Effect:
- Combat system was completely changed two months before shipping. Many other aggressive changes, like the interface that wasn't working two-three months before launch.
- Microsoft's usability labs were very useful for real-world player feedback.

Jade Empire
- It would have been cool to see a 360 version of Jade Empire.
- Pretty crazy they had five projects on the go back then. There's an old thread where they talk about some of them. They were also working on an Xbox 360 engine, as well as another 360 game that wasn't Mass Effect or Dragon Age.

EA Aquisition/ SWTOR
- I had always guessed that SWTOR was the reason EA bought them in the first place. Activision had WOW, and EA needed something to counter it. An MMO based on one of the most popular franchises in the world seemed like a safe bet.
- Not sure if they mention it in the article, but surely the fact that John Riccotello was at both Elevation and EA had a large part to do with the deal.

Mass Effect
- As someone who has taken an extensive look at pre-release ME1 stuff, I find the development of that game really fascinating. It is hard to believe that the combat was changed that close to launch. The E3 2006 and X06 videos show just how different the combat and UI was. The making of documentary that came with the limited edition shows a glimpse of the old combat and UI in Eden Prime too. (starts around 6:00 in)

RPGam3r

I loved this read. Can't wait to see what is next for these guys and gals. Love all their efforts, even DA2 was a good game for me.

A-V-B

Oh, God... this hurts so much.

wait, Dragon Age inquisition was the "Most successful game launch at BioWare."?

NICE.

gives hope for a sequel happening XD

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
wait, Dragon Age inquisition was the "Most successful game launch at BioWare."?

NICE.

gives hope for a sequel happening XD

Barring totally unforeseen scenarios, I'd say it is definitely happening. According to publicly available information, there are still people being paid full-time at BioWare in chiefly Dragon Age capacities. Mike Laidlaw continues to be listed as Creative Director of Dragon Age Series. Patrick Weekes remains listed as Lead Writer (Dragon Age). Several examples like these. A few months ago, Laidlaw (I think? Or maybe Darrah?) tweeted what looked like an early document on the next Dragon Age (it had Thedas stuff all over it and he was super-coy and cheeky and stuff IIRC).

Anything can change at any given time. But for now I believe the franchise is absolutely going forward. It's just that with Andromeda coming up and a brand new IP in the pipeline I've never anticipated 4 debuting any earlier than mid-2018.

Karak

Jade Empire is just fantastic as a world and for me far more of interest than much of the other titles they have or probably will work on.

Sanctuary

BioWare = "software for humans"

Never read that before, but I always just assumed it was "organic software", and it would always make me envision a cyborg.

Mass Effect 3:
- Oblivious to the criticism of the ending as it was being developed, and just after launch, due to critical acclaim. Suddenly a wave of criticism.
- Considered numerous facets of the game as part of the "ending", but realise people weigh on the last 30 seconds or so.

This always really irked me. I never really understood the massive backlash and crying over the last few minutes of the game. Yeah, the outtro was pretty bad, but it's like I've said before: the ending didn't somehow negate the enjoyment someone had that led up to that point, and I also felt like there were multiple points in the game where it could have simply ended already. But it just kept going, for better or worse.

Great summary, EatChildren, I'm looking forward to picking up a copy.

Oh, my poor, extremely flawed Dragon Age 2. Considering some of the bigger issues of the game was asset reuse and a tight development time, I hope that it hasn't entirely put Bioware off exploring a more personal story again somewhere in the future. I'll even take a spin-off.

Prologue

Still being a bit hard headed over ME3 ending, no? I mean, they didnt end up on CNN because it was incredibly sophisticated and thought provoking.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
Oh yeah, I should probably thank EC for doing the grunt work here. I'm gonna snag a copy of this issue, methinks. Too much BioWare for me not to. I still have the big ME3 one, heh.

I'm apparently one of the few who liked Dragon Age 2. I find it impressive they were able to make the game they did in 14 months. The game has my favourite characters of the series and I loved the smaller "story of a city".

Still looking forward to Andromeda.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Mass Effect:
- Microsoft were concerned it was "too much like Halo".
Nz1vrDX.gif

Salarians

I'm apparently one of the few who liked Dragon Age 2. I find it impressive they were able to make the game they did in 14 months. The game has my favourite characters of the series and I loved the smaller "story of a city".

Still looking forward to Andromeda.
Yeah, DA2 was a disappointment, but (unlike ME3) there was a lot about I did like. I'm actually impressed at what they were able to do with 14 months. Particularly how the game has very few assests reused from Origins.

Yeul

What I appreciate about the teams at BioWare is that they are really quite flexible with regards to criticism and they do like to take risks. Take DA:I for example - an overabundance of quests to do with little story tie in in the main game was adjusted and executed much better in the subsequent DLC, a very quick turn-around. The games they make are some of my favorites to play, warts and all. Thanks for typing this all out, EC.

Teeth

EA logic probably went something like: "you guys took 2, 2.5 times the normal amount of time for Origins, so that should carry forward to the next one, yeah?"

This is what I originally thought too (EA needing a fast turnaround on payout for DA's original delays), but the interview states it was more for making up fiscal softness on SWTOR.

It's interesting that they gave them tons of time for DAI then. I would imagine they got that due to a number of factors - Skyrim success (showing market potential), DAO sales perspective (showing the drop off ffrom DAO, Bioware's bestselling game at the time, and DA2), converting over to Frostbite, generational transition, etc. Not that DAI is amazing or anything, but the amount of time granted was nice to see from the pub side.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
This is what I originally thought too (EA needing a fast turnaround on payout for DA's original delays), but the interview states it was more for making up fiscal softness on SWTOR.

It's interesting that they gave them tons of time for DAI then. I would imagine they got that due to a number of factors - Skyrim success (showing market potential), DAO sales perspective (showing the drop off ffrom DAO, Bioware's bestselling game at the time, and DA2), converting over to Frostbite, generational transition, etc. Not that DAI is amazing or anything, but the amount of time granted was nice to see from the pub side.

I think all these reasons are likely. I do want to note though that the franchise's chief overseers have publicly stated the big reason they were given so much time with Inquisition is that their team was in charge of converting Frostbite for numerous BioWare projects to come. Just like you said, yeah. They did the legwork for future ease. They had to start from square one in some ways there because Frostbite was gorgeous but just not built for this stuff at all.

Thanks for the summary. BioWare is the only dev whose games I blind buy, so it's really great to be able to peek past the curtain just a bit to see how the sausage is made

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
For me, their reputation has tarnished a bit. I liked DA:I at first, but it gets incredibly boring and repetitive quickly.

For DA 2, I thought it had some neat aspects to it, but it was a far departure from DA:O and the rushed product and reused assets killed it for me.

DA:O I loved.

Jade Empire, I wanted to love, but everything was so poorly executed.

Neverwinter I loved, and I played it so goddamn much my shoulder hurt. Pity that the "romance" in the expansion feels incredibly tacked on.

Baldur's Gate I could never get into for some reason.

KotoR is probably the most memorable for me.

ME, I liked but couldn't finish.

ME 2, I absolutely loved.

ME 3, was more of the same but with a shitty ending. The "patch" was marginally better, but eh. The whole shit about your decisions mattering was Molyneux levels of B fucking S.

I guess I'll be there for the next ME, but I'm a lot less enthusiastic about it than I thought I'd be.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
They mention that Microsoft made suggestions like Shepard being a galactic diplomat. Seems the combat heavy science fiction angle had them worried about Halo similarities.

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
They mention that Microsoft made suggestions like Shepard being a galactic diplomat. Seems the combat heavy science fiction angle had them worried about Halo similarities.

That's interesting. The galactic diplomat angle is one of my favorites. It's one of the reasons I'm selfishly okay with how much tonal railroading they did with Shepard in the third game. Within the context of ME3's scenario, my galactic diplomat Shepard really gets to shine.

It's crazy that they were able to make DA2 in 14 months. It had many problems -- the action combat, the wave-design of the encounters, and the re-use of assets - but overall, I enjoyed it. I loved the smaller, more personal scope of the story, and it has some of my favourite characters(Aveline, Varric). I do feel the story fell apart in the final act, and Meredith should've been introduced earlier so there was some connection to her. But not having to save the world was a nice change of pace.

Anyway, I've been a fan of Bioware since BG1, and continue to love their games in spite of their problems. I can't wait for Andromeda, and to see what their secret IP is.

Rad-

- Were told that Final Fantasy VII had better developed characters than Baldur's Gate, spurring a lot of effort to improve character development, interaction, romances, etc in Baldur's Gate II.
- Felt very competitive with SquareSoft.
- The big challenge was writing compelling interactions and developments for characters relative to the main character that could in theory be any race/gender/background, versus established characters in stuff like Final Fantasy VII.

Overrated or not but nobody can deny how much FFVII influenced the genre. I had no idea my favorite game ever BG2 had been effected by it this much.

I also remember there was a FFXII interview where the developers apparently played a lot of BG2 during FFXII's development. So interesting "circle" in a way.

Dalibor68

Banned
Dragon Age: Inquisition:
- Admit exploration was not perfectly implemented and there are a lot of lessons to be learned from games that came after.
- Feel good that their games now reassert an aspect of world exploration, instead of regressing to "a budget version of Uncharted".
- Never wanted to make a Skyrim-clone, with one big open world. Still wanted to push rich story elements to live up to the franchise name.
- Most successful game launch at BioWare.
It wasn't implemented "not perfectly", it was an utter shit mmo grindfest. Until they finally acknowledge that honestly instead of these cookiecutter "it wasn't done perfectly" or "there were some lessons to be learned" they won't win me back. And I don't see how they can claim "reassert an aspect of world exploration" when there was nothing to explore other than mmo filler crap.

EatChildren

RE: Jade Empire 2

They do note that there's still people in the studio would like to go back to it, especially with today's technology, and they don't like to rule out stuff like that from never happening.

Yeul

-continues to hang up on the council multiple times- That's me, galactic diplomat Commander Shepard.

It wasn't implemented "not perfectly", it was an utter shit mmo grindfest. Until they finally acknowledge that honestly instead of these cookiecutter "it wasn't done perfectly" or "there were some lessons to be learned" they won't win me back. And I don't see how they can claim "reassert an aspect of world exploration" when there was nothing to explore other than mmo filler crap.

This killed my interest early in it as well. Maybe it's just me but I feel like Bioware have been regressing for a good while now. Andromeda looks like DA:I in space.

I'm surprised to see that a major publisher like Microsoft would push for a game to be less combat focused. It's interesting, but I'm glad they ultimately let BioWare have their freedom with the game.

EatChildren

I'm surprised to see that a major publisher like Microsoft would push for a game to be less combat focused. It's interesting, but I'm glad they ultimately let BioWare have their freedom with the game.

They talk about it humorously, how Microsoft didn't "get it", and kept offering suggestions to distance if from Halo.

Top Bottom