• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
EDIT:
6pYpKN9.gif

I still like it but I would be fine if Jason or Dan keep constantly reminding Drew to get the nodes and to use the M9. He takes a while to get into the groove each episode.

Edit: Or that the cone visions on the map are accurate. He is still really hesitant about getting close to guards.

^^^ I agree with this.

I think we're at the point where Dan/Drew/Jason should have a pow-wow on adjusting the agreed-upon rules for the playthrough. I think there's a way to gently push Drew in the right direction while still letting him experience the game (while not being mobbed by 1,000 flak jacketed soldiers).

Another favorite line from this week: "Hey,something might be wrong! SEND THE ARMY!"

popo

Looks like it is pretty cold in the US atm. Below freezing for both NY and Chicago. SF not too bad. Wind chill is bullshit though, sorry Pat.

They just need to acknowledge that this is what endurance runs have turned into and make it daily.

Or just film 2-3 episodes at once so that drew doesn't have to readjust to the game every episode and his experience with the game builds. they don't have to do it daily, but these long breaks between episodes are definitely detrimental to the overall experience. most people played MGS2 within the span of a week, for hours at a time, not for 2-3 hours a week over a span of a month or two.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If the presence of a Ness/Pokémon Trainer Red tag team called "PK Chu" doesn't get you watching VGCW, you might be hopeless.

Whoever decided to start archiving the chat with the video was brilliant though. Seeing the crowd "chanting" along is a weird part of the whole silent film pantomime experience that the WWE game story creator forces you into.

Everything about PK Chu is hilarious to me. Their name, the way the announcer calls Ness "NICE!", their silly entrance with the bike (and how the camera leers at the bike as Ness and Red enter the ring), the way they seem to win every match with John Cena levels of bullshit and predictability

the fucking stupidest cutscenes where Ness is the only one talking

I'd love it if they swapped Dan out for Jason, at least then Drew would have some guidance for MGS2.

I dunno, I wouldn't want to sacrifice the great synergy Dan and Drew have just so Drew can get through the games quicker. People already get kinda unhappy if Dan gives too much guidance, having Jason guide him through the games would be even worse. Drew not being very good at the games doesn't bother me that much.

HawkeyeFIN

Neo Member
I think having Jason sit in would be worth trying. They don't need to tell him what to do but they could try to teach him the hows and whys of how it all works. As it is, I really think something needs to change since Drew seems to be having zero fun playing. Part 5 was super fucking rough. Like waaaay above Breaking Brad-rough.

"Drew, check the bottom of this room". Or even "hey, I think there's somewhere you haven't been yet". Honestly, that's all there needs to be.

Also, after this episode, when Dan was guiding Drew through the pipes in strut A, I'm now convinced Dan remembers a ton more about MGS2 than he's letting on ("I honestly don't remember, but maybe crawl under that pipe?"), and is just pretending to forget to humor Drew.

CB3

intangibles, motherfucker
You guys are funny.

I had to start MGS 3 (my first one) 3 different times because the controls and mechanics were just frustrating the hell out of me and i kept on quitting. Not everyone is just naturally good at those games.

It amazes me when people get upset that someone isnt playing a game how they think it should be played or of a certain quality of play.

I thought the last episode was pretty funny. Continues to be my second favorite series behind the Mario Party parties.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I don't think anyone is upset. Drew himself admitted that he's not playing great, and he keeps expressing that he doesn't know how to deal with situations. People are suggesting ways to make the experience better for Drew as a result.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I don't think anyone is upset. Drew himself admitted that he's not playing great, and he keeps expressing that he doesn't know how to deal with situations. People are suggesting ways to make the experience better for Drew as a result.

No, there's definitely an increase of "OH MY GOD PEOPLE WHO AREN'T THE BEST AT GAMES SHOULDN'T PLAY GAMES" style complaints.

Not to say that's everybody, but it's always fascinating to see people who get pissed off when somebody isn't great at a game, even when the series is advertised as their first playthrough and nearly every episode starts with "Well, it's been 5 days since we played, half of that time was cut scenes and half of what was left was just Drew figuring out the controls again"

KingKong

No, there's definitely an increase of "OH MY GOD PEOPLE WHO AREN'T THE BEST AT GAMES SHOULDN'T PLAY GAMES" style complaints.

Not to say that's everybody, but it's always fascinating to see people who get pissed off when somebody isn't great at a game, even when the series is advertised as their first playthrough and nearly every episode starts with "Well, it's been 5 days since we played, half of that time was cut scenes and half of what was left was just Drew figuring out the controls again"

Theres a difference between someone not being an expert and looking like Dan's father

Liamc723

It seems you have a problem with Dan in general though.

You're right I'm not a fan of him in general, but for the purpose of this series, he literally doesn't remember anything about MGS2 which leads to episodes like today's where Drew accomplishes very little. Jason remembers a hell of a lot more and would be a better aid to Drew at this current point.

Dan when are you bringing your dad to giantbomb?

You're right I'm not a fan of him in general, but for the purpose of this series, he literally doesn't remember anything about MGS2 which leads to episodes like today's where Drew accomplishes very little. Jason remembers a hell of a lot more and would be a better aid to Drew at this current point.

But then you will get people complaining "Jason's giving too much information!" It reminds me of the DMC and DS playthroughs. They were rough parts in those videos but it all ironed out in the end.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Theres a difference between someone not being an expert and looking like Dan's father

What is that difference? Because "First time series playthrough" implies to me that you'd have to be pretty dim to expect anything but poor play.

Brad + Dan QL of Escape from Dead Island!

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/quick-look-escape-dead-island/2300-9719/

Game Informer gave it a 2, so this should be quite a treat.

I don't think I had ever heard of this before seeing it on the schedule. I'm sure an under the radar Dead Island game will live up to every bit of those 2 points GI gave.

fleck0

Drew in Strut F was like me throughout most of MGS3. I think it's a really cool story but not having a radar makes me 10x more anxious than the previous games.

KingKong

What is that difference? Because "First time series playthrough" implies to me that you'd have to be pretty dim to expect anything but poor play.

Well, he's been playing videogames his whole life, he beat MGS1 recently and he's 5 hours into MGS2. These are not some hardcore difficult extreme games, most people were able to easily beat them when they were teenagers.

It's not like he's doing this as a favour to us, this is the main premium feature on the site so if he's having this much trouble then they should change something (like having Jason help more, playing it more often, having him go through VR missions)

The QL of GTA V made the dialogue and characters look completely insufferable.

i hadn't played the game yet, but that a whole mission is about getting someone's daughter out of a reality show competition in order to save face, eh, i both think it's dumb as hell but also like how different it is from other games. GTA wants to be taken seriously but also wants to play it goofy, too, which in a post SR3 & 4 world feels like half assing it. Not sure i can deal with the series trying to have it both ways forever.

I thought Dead Island 1 was a flawed but decent game, I liked what it had the potential to be. I hope they can turn Dead Island 2 into a good game, but Riptide and Escape from Dead Island don't fill me with confidence.

Also, I got into the beta for the moba, it is... not a good game.

Well, he's been playing videogames his whole life, he beat MGS1 recently and he's 5 hours into MGS2. These are not some hardcore difficult extreme games, most people were able to easily beat them when they were teenagers.

It's not like he's doing this as a favour to us, this is the main premium feature on the site so if he's having this much trouble then they should change something (like having Jason help more, playing it more often, having him go through VR missions)

Sneaking mission 60 & Weapons 80 would probably help. Both are realistic in every way.

BigBoss

But yeah, MGS2 is gonna take them like a hundred episodes at this point, and I REALLY hope that doesn't put Drew off from MGS3. That's all I want from this series, is them getting to at least there.

If Drew is having so much trouble with MGS2, MGS3 is going to be an absolute nightmare for him.

Zaph

If Drew sailed through MGS it'd be over too soon and it wouldn't become a glorious P4 length endurance run.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
If Drew sailed through MGS it'd be over too soon and it wouldn't become a glorious P4 length endurance run.

If only it were like the Persona 4 endurance run, with its perfect play and nobody ever forgetting/not bothering to learn mechanics. Vinny and Jeff would never have done something silly like casting Bufu on an enemy they knew to be strong against ice 25 hours into the game.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
No, there's definitely an increase of "OH MY GOD PEOPLE WHO AREN'T THE BEST AT GAMES SHOULDN'T PLAY GAMES" style complaints."

Mostly I see (and have made) comments along the lines of "it's crazy that Drew did x" or "how does he not know y". That's not being upset though, that's just talking about the thing we're watching. Personally I've enjoyed every episode of the series, much the same way I enjoyed the entirety of Brad's Demons' Souls playthrough. It's probably my favourite thing they've done. The mistakes and fuckups (and discussing them) are part of what makes these really enjoyable.

Sneaking mission 60 & Weapons 80 would probably help. Both are realistic in every way.

Even still, without daylight VR training, it will only take a single sentry to spot him in the light.

I don't expect Drew to even get used to the super obtuse controls. Hell, the controls have generally been the driving force for most of MGScanlon's hilarity.

It's mostly just the whole lack of caution. Someone pointed out that you can't play it like Splinter Cell, and that's definitely true, but it's more just using cover more effectively, being aware of your surroundings, and so on. Less stuff like hanging out in the open when he knows there is guards around.

I still enjoy the show. IDK. This episode just grated a little for these reasons. I'll always forgive executional blunders.

I loved the last episode of MGScanlon. I've always treated the series the same way I treated Jeff Green playing Dark Souls, and places like Strut F are the pinnacle of what make them fun to watch for me.

AcridMeat

Banned
38 minutes into this Dead Island quick look and I'm still waiting for something offensively bad to happen.
If only it were like the Persona 4 endurance run, with its perfect play and nobody ever forgetting/not bothering to learn mechanics. Vinny and Jeff would never have done something silly like casting Bufu on an enemy they knew to be strong against ice 25 hours into the game.
That really was one of the best moments of the run. Jeff's reaction is incredible.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Is it weird that I kinda wanna play Escape Dead Island? Like it seems pretty bad but....something about it intrigues me.

Is it weird that I kinda wanna play Escape Dead Island? Like it seems pretty bad but....something about it intrigues me.

if it were a Suda51 game there would be people praising it for how absurd it is and forgiving its mechanics because of its uniqueness

but it's a janky ass dead island spinoff that no one wanted and no one seems to want. meh.

just do what i do and buy it for a bag of peanuts on steam in 4-5 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom