• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
B2wszeVCAAAbiDn.png:large

Source

Vinny, Jason, Patrick, Brad, Mary, Danny, Drew, Alex over Dan, Jeff, Rorie, and Alexis... what do I win?

Kirlia

Banned
Dan and Drew already made it apparent on Twitter that a new Metal Gear Scanlon had been recorded, but Part 5 is now officially listed as coming up at 12:01 AM PST.

After listening to tonight's Bombcast, well, all video game podcasts last week and this week as well, I feel really confident with my strategy of not buying any game on release, except for Pokemon. Pokemon gets an exception because after so many years Nintendo hasn't screwed up and has that formula down pat.

After listening to tonight's Bombcast, well, all video game podcasts last week and this week as well, I feel really confident with my strategy of not buying any game on release, except for Pokemon. Pokemon gets an exception because after so many years Nintendo hasn't screwed up and has that formula down pat.
Best Apology will be a competitive category this year.

Patryn

Is something up with Gamespot? I was trying to watch this week's Lobby and I'm getting a 504. Also, it's taking forever to just load the homepage. Is it just me?

Jintor

Never buy into the hype

Unless you're willing to think about preorders the same way you think about kickstarters

Jintor

Chuck, your avatar seems lewder than usual.

Anyone have those fantastic Metal Gear-style portraits of some of the Bomb Squad on hand?

grapetile

Neo Member
Anyone have those fantastic Metal Gear-style portraits of some of the Bomb Squad on hand?

Love these so much. All credit goes to Sanj. http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/gen...celot-liquid-scoops-dotacon-update-2-1496575/

Revolver Oestricelot.

2699588-oes.jpg

Liquid SCOOOOPS.

2699747-klep3.jpg

Dotacon

2699698-brad.jpg

Master Tracksuit

2690362-mgsgerst.jpg

Solid Scanlon

2689897-mgscanlons2.jpg

Colonel Ryckert

2689774-mgryckert.jpg

Names were taken from Sanj's post (even though I like Coldman's names more).

Hope these are the ones you were looking for. If not, then this post is just an excuse to look at these great pictures one more time.

AcridMeat

Banned
I'm on the 2nd episode of MGS (First one) and man this series is wonderful. First episode was great, but I can see why this is as praised as it is already.

It's especially great to watch because I'm in Drew's situation, I have decent familiarity with the Metal Gear series, but haven't played any of them for myself.

Honestly think I might get 5.

Names were taken from Sanj's post (even though I like Coldman's names more).

You gotta admit Dotacon is pretty fucking good.
I'm on the 2nd episode of MGS (First one) and man this series is wonderful. First episode was great, but I can see why this is as praised as it is already.

It's especially great to watch because I'm in Drew's situation, I have decent familiarity with the Metal Gear series, but haven't played any of them for myself.

Honestly think I might get 5.
I'm playing the games for the first time just ahead of Drew, and knowing what's coming lets me focus on Drew's reaction to all the bullshit. I'd say it's a good way to experience both Metal Gear series (Solid and Scanlon).

Jintor

Dotacon, Liquid Scoops (ewww) and Revolver Oestricelot are fantastic. Hotman does have Sleeping Dog and Sighing Wolf though. I don't know if I like Master Tracksuit or Doctor Traksuninov better.

Btw, when did Sleeping Dog kill the President?

AcridMeat

Banned
You gotta admit Dotacon is pretty fucking good.

I'm playing the games for the first time just ahead of Drew, and knowing what's coming lets me focus on Drew's reaction to all the bullshit. I'd say it's a good way to experience both Metal Gear series (Solid and Scanlon).
Oh that sounds great. I do remember being at friends' back in the day when they were playing 2 and 3 and thinking it was super crazy and the controls made no sense. I'm not sure if I want to actually play these. I was always curious about 4 since I had a ps3.

I do remember one of the games you could edit character models for cutscenes. It might have been my friend having a modded xbox that let him do this but I believe it was in the game. Anyway he made Solid Snake a grandma and some other hilarious things.

demidar

Oh that sounds great. I do remember being at friends' back in the day when they were playing 2 and 3 and thinking it was super crazy and the controls made no sense. I'm not sure if I want to actually play these. I was always curious about 4 since I had a ps3.

I do remember one of the games you could edit character models for cutscenes. It might have been my friend having a modded xbox that let him do this but I believe it was in the game. Anyway he made Solid Snake a grandma and some other hilarious things.

Yeah that was MGS2. I changed Ocelot into a grandma in the cutscene where he steals the Ray off the tanker.

Step your game up Snake, you getting outdid by an old woman.

Yeah the games definitely take some getting used to. But they're fun to play once you get going, I've stayed up a bit too long a few nights because of them (I play in the bed on my Vita). Gonna have to skip 4 since I don't have anything to play it on, unless they decide to port it to PC in preparation for 5.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yeah that was MGS2. I changed Ocelot into a grandma in the cutscene where he steals the Ray off the tanker.

Step your game up Snake, you getting outdid by an old woman.
Oh okay so I had it right. Haha what an amazing feature, I wish more games did that.
Yeah the games definitely take some getting used to. But they're fun to play once you get going, I've stayed up a bit too long a few nights because of them (I play in the bed on my Vita). Gonna have to skip 4 since I don't have anything to play it on, unless they decide to port it to PC in preparation for 5.
That's such a perfect set up. I've actually been considering a Vita more and more...hm...the MGS collection isn't on PC...hmmmm

The third episode of MGS is great.
Dan freaking out over Drew going through the lasers

hamchan

They need to make MGS a more regular thing if Drew is just completely forgetting controls and plot points between episodes.

roytheone

Good to see that I wasn't the only one that had a lot of problems with strut F. I got caught like 10 times in that god damn room when I played the game for the first time earlier this year. I hate that room so, so much. Fuck strut F.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
I don't know how drew
missed the nerd
. He's otherwise so meticulous with his notes and stuff for flight sims etc., but he doesn't really fully search an area before running out of ideas.

Edit: Ok the video is wrapping up and dan/jason are telling him where it is.

I loved that Drew and Dan started this series, but now I'm not sure if I can watch it anymore. While it does seem that Drew appreciates the crazy great MGS story stuff, he's fallen into that trap where he's playing only to get to the next cutscene, and not embracing what makes Metal Gear a fun game.

MGS1's mechanics were simple enough I think where he could kinda brute force his was through it even when he forgot things. I had hoped that when he started playing MGS2 that he would start to have more fun with the gameplay itself, because of the amazing amount of options available to him now. The first person aiming made tackling a room not as difficult as it was for him in MGS1, but he still doesn't utilize it that well, and just doesn't have the urge to explore and learn about his environment so that he won't get so lost all the time.

Drew's a great guy, but I'm just getting bummed watching him so frustrated, and not really enjoying the game for what it is. Seems like it might not be for him if it hasn't sunk in at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom