• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb #11 | Thanks for the Spelunkin', the Spookin', and the Scoopin'

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamBoleyn

Banned
Obviously the whole site should just move to Portland. Unprofessional high Fridays, think about it, maaaaan.
image.php

Patryn

He just needs to start pulling in guests for his quick looks. Quick look solos basically amount to boring let's plays from someone whose not great at being entertaining alone.I don't blame him, most of Giantbomb is better when there is some sort of interplay with someone else. I can't imagine they are getting anywhere near the viewer numbers of anything else they produce.

Alex didn't do a ton of videos when he was in NYC alone, and in reality the encyclopedia bombasticas where they are solo (I think there was one or two with two people) are among the most boring videos they have put on the site.

Edit: Where were Jason and Dan before this? Mineapolis? The real move would have been to just send them to Chicago to have GBmid. Granted, forming a new arm with 2/3 new people is probably damn near impossible.

I actually quite liked Alex's EBs.

Renpatsu

I'm just gonna assume Patrick's been thinking about it alot lately and is looking forward to when the CAH studio is ready to be occupied.

Zaph

Patrick writes about Ubisoft being Ubisoft with AC:Unity's nefarious Uplay-only chests.

I always appreciate writers bringing to light shitty publisher practices, but it seems they only get noticed on console. This isn't even a new low for Ubisoft - back in 2011 they locked the entire mission-to-mission persistent upgrades feature in Anno2070 behind a always-online Uplay connection.

I was thinking about this the other day and came to the realization that for me, in my head, Vinny and Alex are simply not with Giantbomb anymore.

Doesn't mean that the content they make isn't good. Most of it is great!... It's just not part of GB for me.

It's like if they were working for a different company/website but happened to still talk to their old friends at GB from time to time.

Yeah I feel the same. GBeast really needs more screen time and a third chair. Vinny basically has to produce and carry anything they do - Alex is a good guy, but he is straight up about not being good on-camera.

It would be great if they one day re-hired Ana. She left WM to move back to NY and is not only a great producer (freeing up Vinny), but fantastic on podcasts. She and Gary made Tested worth listening to.

I'm just gonna assume Patrick's been thinking about it alot lately and is looking forward to when the CAH studio is ready to be occupied.

I imagine this is either going to end up great, or crashing and burning horribly due to some drama.

Man, gave up on that Far Cry 4 Quick Look. The part where the bird showed up was kinda funny but holy hell does that game look dull. Honestly, Watch_Dogs was such a tremendous bust and seeing Assassin's Creed and Far Cry be the same nonesense of "large open world, but nothing fun to do in it" has completely turned me off of anything from Ubisoft (Rocksmith excluded).

It's not a one trick pony at all. The first game was a straight platformer and the second game completely blew off the door on the creation tools increasing the amount of things you can make tenfold, if not more. 3 is certainly more of a refinement, but the things it adds are a huge deal for the creators.

Why is the San Francisco video quality so bad lately? We're at the point where IGN videos look better.

I was speaking more on the user end. The creation stuff is great, and it's good that sony keeps pushing out updates for them to have even more tools and whatnot. As someone who just plays the LBP games, though, it just kinda got old. If the fans keep finding things to like then more power to them, but i burned out on it pretty early on.

Patryn

If you can find the one with Dave Lang that one was really good.

Dave Lang should just join GB Chicago, he instantly makes Patrick content better.

Just a guess here....

But I bet Dave Lang makes WAYYYYYYYYY more money than CBSi can offer him.

Bacon

I wasn't actually seriously suggesting that he leaves his job on a whim to join giantbomb. There are obvious reasons why that doesn't make any sense for either side. It's fun to imagine what it would be like though.

Bacon

I'm sorry I brought it up lol. I'll just put a /s after everything I post from now on because I'm never serious.

True, but he could probably find time to do a weekly show with some of the IG/CAH people. I imagine a happy hour of sorts after work on Thursdays or something like that would go over swimmingly.

wasn't that the second iteration of Professional Wednesdays/Fridays though?

too bad it didn't last since it worked well in the concept of being a stark difference in comprision to GBPrime's UPF

I wonder how those people that got a motivation call from Lang are doing. They've probably soared to new heights in their lives.

Hobohodo

Man, this thread moving to community has made my Giantbomb viewing drop. It acted as a reminder to me before as I more instinctively go to Neogaf. Will just have to start using subscriptions. Feel like I've been out of the loop all month aside from MGS and Mario Party Party, anything real good I should catch up on?

I didn't like any of the boss fights in MGS2. None of them were even close to as memorable as the ones in MGS1, except for maybe the final boss fight.

now, MGS3, there's a game that has some fantastic bosses. The End alone is better than anything in MGS2.

that boss drove me insane

STOP SKATING YOU FUCK, what are you, a GG
it's been years, but i remember using mines, i think. I never had a issue with it, just thought he sucked as a boss and that the fight is meh.

Bomb disposal is kinda slow the first time through so I wonder if they got to a boss which made him mad. Fortune is kind of a non-boss but I can imagine Fatman annoying him,

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
Fatman is annoying but not that tough once you figure out the pattern.

I hope they don't get to MGS3 before January, I need to get home and play through it first!

kiyomi

The Fatman boss is nothing to really get mad over, I dunno. Most of the boss battles in MGS2 are pretty simple and you can kinda just brute force your way through most of them. Regarding the Fatman:
I wonder if Drew gets killed after the Fatman fight with the last hidden bomb? It always seemed logical to me but maybe he forgets the ability to search bodies or something?

Alo81 said:
I hope they don't get to MGS3 before January, I need to get home and play through it first!

Same, I'm about 3 hours in now. It's cool. Different, but that makes it interesting. Then I guess I need to play Peace Walker and MGS4! Can't wait.

It's Drew. There's no way they'll get to MGS3 by then. With GOTY being a hectic time for them as well, I can't imagine they'd move on so quick.

Myggen

It's Drew. There's no way they'll get to MGS3 by then. With GOTY being a hectic time for them as well, I can't imagine they'd move on so quick.

They'll get through MGS2 before the GOTY stuff happens, but yeah, that's about it. I'm in no hurry for them to finish the feature, so it's fine by me!

Myggen

Mh, can't buy premium through the store via paypal :( Says something about an API error.

You should make a thread about it on the Bug Reporting forum, or at least contact Rorie. Seems like a big deal if it's a universal problem.

Bear in mind that MGS2 was my first Metal Gear, so I was still fighting the controls.

Also I'm kind of bad at games?

I'm fucking terrible at games. Stopped playing competitive online games of pretty much any kind about ten years ago because of it.

I actually quite liked Alex's EBs.

Me too!

JayEH

Do you think Drew got to Fatman today? I guess it's possible but I don't remember how close it is to where they are. I'm thinking he can't find some of the bombs.

If Drew is getting mad now, can't wait for the Metal Gear Ray(s) fight...

Bear in mind that MGS2 was my first Metal Gear, so I was still fighting the controls.

Also I'm kind of bad at games?

MGS2 was overwhelming for even those who were coming off of MGS1. However, we had the packed in tanker demo that came with ZOE to wrap our head around the mechanics months in advance.

In drew's case, i feel that the breaks he takes between sessions is really what's hurting how well he adapts to the controls. The duder clearly has skills (he is a damn good halo player, for example), he can handle complex games given that he can almost fly a virtual plane with limited instructions, so it's not like he doesn't have it in him to understand metal gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom