• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT28| Welcome to the Penis Farm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scrolling through Twitter, reading about the outage...

C98zQV2VwAAQ1uF.jpg
That looks like a hassle

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
But what will I do without my weekly dose of people telling me that they don't watch UPF anymore and that they need to change it?

Yeah I'd rather the next Battlefield game be the modern WWII one, but I'm interested in the new CoD too, which is something I haven't been since Modern Warfare 2.

Gestahl

No, P5. Yeah randos give you shit but no one close to you ever does except Sojiro, and every single female character you ever meet falls in love with you while you do fuck-all except stand there and listen to them, no matter how inappropriate the relationship may be. I get that it's a trope. I just think it's a shitty trope and I have no interest in that kind of pandering shit.

It was fun watching everyone whine about P4's treatment of its MC and talk about how atypical P5 was when every character of worth pledges a wookie life debt to Joker and never has a bad thing to say about him and the main party never second guesses him or any of his decisions outside of the obvious joke answers.

Gestahl

Wait, is today the day we all turn on Persona 5?

It's probably the best one. But it's also a very positive game at its core (in some ways even more than P4) and it gets a bit tiring when people let the dark subject matter and the MC's treatment at the beginning overshadow that.

Xater

Like I said it's been nearly a decade. How long do you think before you would be ready? 15, 20 years? Not being combative, honestly asking.

I honestly don't know. There were a lot of WW2 shooters in the early 00s and I played a lot of them as well. The greatest hits of WW2 in prettier just don't have much of an appeal. If they come up with a unique take, maybe, but I don't expect that from COD as a series.

Xater

That sounds exactly like what Vin Diesel tried to stop. Can't really blame him for trying either - the entire F&F cast must be expensive and the studio wants to capture the same audience without paying them all.

I mean Fast 8 was already the show of those two guys. Doms entire arc was uninteresting. Probably also because Vin does not have the range to convince anyone of the things he went through in this film.

Hindl

It's probably the best one. But it's also a very positive game at its core (in some ways even more than P4) and it gets a bit tiring when people let the dark subject matter and the MC's treatment at the beginning overshadow that.

I mean, of course it's a positive game. It's a game about high schoolers saving the world, and half of the game is just living a high school life. That comes with the naïveté and general "teenagers can fix the corrupt world adults have built" feeling you'd get from your average young adult novel or TV show. And I haven't finished the game so maybe things change, but I've felt that the "fawning" people do over the MC is earned. Just go down the list:

Ryuuji -
You come from a similar background as me of being framed for something out of context, you saved me from being expelled, and you helped me get revenge on the person that pretty much ruined my life

Ann -
You engaged with me at a time where everyone hated me, people were spreading rumors about me, and you helped me get revenge on the person that drove my best friend to attempt suicide and had been sexually harassing me for months while using my best friend's role on the team as a threat to keep me silent and complicit

Yusuke -
You helped reveal to me that the person I valued most in this world was nothing but a snake that had been abusing me, stole from my mother, and was a shameless plagiarist who had been threatening to destroy my career if I ever took it public

Makoto - I don't even know where to start with this one.
You reached out to me at a point where the adults were blackmailing me to rat on the students, the students distrusted me as a mole for the adults, and my sister called me a useless drain on her life. And you welcomed me into the team and made me feel comfortable with who I am as a person.

All the girls falling in love with you regardless of the situation is dumb, I'll agree, but that's a conceit of the series. But this game is plenty dark in its subject matter so far, way above "Well who's gonna get murdered this time in Persona 4?". There's actual situations in Persona 5 where you feel for the character because they've been put in a situation where they can't possibly win, and you help save them from that fate. Them being grateful to you and going along with whatever you want seems pretty understandable about that. So far, Persona 5 is head and shoulders above anything Persona 4 was attempting

This has nothing to do with anything Giant Bomb (expect that maybe Patrick recommended the movie once), but I preordered a Babadook Book (based on the movie) back in late 2014, and it finally came today.

Now the stupid thing is happening where I spent €160 on the things (I preordered two at €80 at the time), and I see them selling on eBay for close to €500 each (because they had a very limited print run), so I dont want to even touch them...

I am both happy and scared today. This might be the very definition of first world problems.

Salarians

Aha, is this our chance (to air our criticisms)?
I'm about 30 hours in and I'm still kind of mixed on it. The dungeon/combat/fusing loop is fun but the story and characters still aren't really clicking with me. There are some cool scenes and sequences here and there but still.

Party member spoiler (name):
Makoto's introduction was pretty damn good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom