• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

robotrock

Banned
Netflix shows are released all at once though. It's not a day to day discussion like the GOTY week.

I mean whatever though, I still spoiler my posts because it's more about how others feel about it than me personally.

3+ hours of podcast a day for five days straight is an insane amount of audio to ask people to be up to date with.

Lari

I mean whatever though, I still spoiler my posts because it's more about how others feel about it than me personally.

Yes same. I absolutely do not care about reading spoilers. If I really want to go in fresh it's easy to not read the thread around the time some video is released.

But I try to spoiler tag some critical info out of respect for others.

I'll go into other threads and spoil GOTY stuff

4egMy9Y.gif

robotrock

Banned
I am too smart to let spoilers affect my enjoyment of the content. Pickle Rick was still hilarious to me, and goddammit, GBGOTY will be too!

Curufinwe

Is Jeff the only one of them who has finished Horizon? I just finished it yesterday.

I liked the story overall and Aloy is a cool character, but she ends up becoming too much of a sassy superwoman by the end and a lot of the other characters are just weird. It's almost like there's a competition going on to see who can be the most sarcastic person in the world.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
Is Jeff the only one of them who has finished Horizon? I just finished it yesterday.

I liked the story overall and Aloy is a cool character, but she ends up becoming too much of a sassy superwoman by the end and a lot of the other characters are just weird. It's almost like there's a competition going on to see who can be the most sarcastic person in the world.

The disneyfication of games.

Wunder

Rorie finished it and Brad said its on his list of must-plays before end of the year

robotrock

Banned

Dan finished it

Teddified

Brad will play like 1-3 hours of the games he said he wanted to play before the end of the year, then just go play some destiny instead.

Joeku

Brad will play like 1-3 hours of the games he said he wanted to play before the end of the year, then just go play some destiny instead.

Nier is gonna need Brad or Jeff behind it to have a chance, with the kind of clout they bring in the discussions. And Jeff soured on the combat. Did he finish route A?

sungahymn

Neo Member
Wild (not really) speculation/prediction of this year's GOTY discussion: Nier Automata will get robbed.

Crossing fingers for Best Story, at least.

BTA

Nier will deserve better but do ok.

Night in the Woods will deserve much better but will at least rank if Abby and Alex fight for it.

Pyre will be robbed since no one that finished it seems to be passionate about it. Maybe that'll change with Abby, though.

daveo42

Banned
Game that will get robbed during GotY by Destiny 2:
Nier: A
Wolfy 2
Night in the Woods
Divinity Original Sin 2
Every game that came out this year that you like

def sim

I wasn't sure about the first hour or so of Automata, but this
ken doll sephiroth fight
is hilarious and has got me interested in what the hell is happening in the world.

imBask

Banned
i'm digging route C so far but route B was enough for me to accept the game not making it to the top 10. I'm having a hard time understanding the free pass it's getting...
I can't imagine playing 6h of Metal Gear Solid 3, having the game cut, reset and having to replay 4h in order to get slight differences and a reveal before continuing on with the original story. Just replace the word "route" with "chapter" and you might understand where i'm at a little better, it's not really a route since route C isn't the same

I really liked route A, I really like route C so far, but route B cost that game a lot of points in my book

Antiwhippy

Just played Edith Finch and the cannary sequence surely has to be a shoe in for moment/sequence of the year?

Definitely one of the better moments of the game.

Did anyone on the staff play edith finch or did I miss the discussions about it?

Joeku

i'm digging route C so far but route B was enough for me to accept the game not making it to the top 10. I'm having a hard time understanding the free pass it's getting...
I can't imagine playing 6h of Metal Gear Solid 3, having the game cut, reset and having to replay 4h in order to get slight differences and a reveal before continuing on with the original story. Just replace the word "route" with "chapter" and you might understand where i'm at a little better, it's not really a route since route C isn't the same

I really liked route A, I really like route C so far, but route B cost that game a lot of points in my book

Some people really dig the added context B brings, and I agree, but it's still waaaay too similar for me to forgive. The good news it it just keeps going up from there.

Antiwhippy

Route B setup a lot of characterisation for 9S that works into C.

Some of it is "now that I know that you know and you still reacted like this?"

daveo42

Banned
Early Route B is probably the weakest part of the game though I like
the hacking.
Things ramp up though when the paths diverge. Everything in path C along with endings D and E more than make up for any shortcomings during B.

imBask

Banned
Early Route B is probably the weakest part of the game outside of
hacking.
Things ramp up though when the paths diverge. Everything in path C along with endings D and E more than make up for any shortcomings during B.

I hope so and i'll keep going since I did make it to route C, but this "just push through it gets good" thing doesn't work in a year this strong

Nier is still in the running for my personal GOTY, but yeah, route B could have done with a good deal of editing. I think the reason it didn't was
to give players one more go at cleaning up sidequests.

Antiwhippy

but all of that could've been done in an hour TOP

Maybe not an hour, but maybe they could have truncated from
discovering that the aliens are dead to the big water monster fight?

Otherwise i feel like the rest are pretty essential.

Also it's the route i spent the most time doing sidequests.

Legit can't understand that anyone would with a straight face claim the hacking is good. Baffling. It's a total pace killer and completely disconnected from everything else you're doing in the game and your character progression. And it's usually braindead easy but has a couple of ridiculous difficulty spikes. It got to where I was really reluctant to play as 9S.

Antiwhippy

Legit can't understand that anyone would with a straight face claim the hacking is good. Baffling. It's a total pace killer and completely disconnected from everything else you're doing in the game and your character progression. And it's usually braindead easy but has a couple of ridiculous difficulty spikes. It got to where I was really reluctant to play as 9S.

It's not really disconnected at all, if anything its the thing that ties most of the narrative together.

One of the better examples of tying gameplay to narrative.

Also i actually enjoy the gameplay of it.

robotrock

Banned

I just got really tied of the B-tier Platinum combat in the first route. The hacking was an OK way to try and keep the second playthrough of the game fresh.
A bigger pace killer than the hacking is having to play through a good chunk of the game again in Route B.

Top Bottom