• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

Jintor

Legit can't understand that anyone would with a straight face claim the hacking is good. Baffling. It's a total pace killer and completely disconnected from everything else you're doing in the game and your character progression. And it's usually braindead easy but has a couple of ridiculous difficulty spikes. It got to where I was really reluctant to play as 9S.

I think the music shifting and how quick it is helps it a lot. But the lack of variety doesn't.

Tbh automata even with the base-tier platinum combat just doesn't play that well compared to other platinum games (though it's still head and shoulders above what OG nier looks like it plays like... not played it myself of course). There's no real incentive to finish combos in Nier and you can get by perfectly fine just button mashing as long as you can infinite dodge. The hacking is a nice distraction but there's just no higher tier the same way there is in Bayo or MGR for instance.

It's also kinda difficult to read with the hitsparks and the weapon teleporting.

Jintor

I meant there's no higher tier to the combat, or perhaps more accurately there's no incentive to play the combat at a higher tier.

on the discussion of hacking being boring

You know what else is similarly boring? Shrines in BoTW. The worst part is the 60th time you do a shrine, it'll be just as boring as the 1st time.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
again yes the first time, but the 60th time not so much

Oh you'll get to some unique ones pretty soon.

Also hint (kinda spoilery)
for a certain fight near the end you'd want to hack for the entire fight to see some unique hacking sequences.

I'm not going to argue that nier automata has the greatest gameplay ever or whatever though so, whatever. I understand the complaints, but I do think that it's one of the better examples of tying gameplay to narrative which makes the world feel more cohesive to me than most other games even if it likes to break the 4th wall here and there, like the rapid credit sequences when you get a joke ending. I'm kinda a sucker for that.

robotrock

Banned

You know what else is similarly boring? Shrines in BoTW. The worst part is the 60th time you do a shrine, it'll be just as boring as the 1st time.

There are some bad shrines in that game for sure (mostly the combat ones), but I'd still say they were my favorite part about that game. Would love if they patched in a mode that just stripped away the open world and combat and it was just shrine to shrine to shrine.
and release it on iOS/Android

They were just some really good short time puzzles.

imBask

Banned
Oh you'll get to some unique ones pretty soon.

Also hint (kinda spoilery)
for a certain fight near the end you'd want to hack for the entire fight to see some unique hacking sequences.

I'm not going to argue that nier automata has the greatest gameplay ever or whatever though so, whatever. I understand the complaints, but I do think that it's one of the better examples of tying gameplay to narrative which makes the world feel more cohesive to me than most other games even if it likes to break the 4th wall here and there, like the rapid credit sequences when you get a joke ending. I'm kinda a sucker for that.

and i'm being really hard on it, I still think it's a great game (so far)

but route B is in the top 5 things that will make me throw a game out the window, so the fact that i'm in route C should be telling of the quality of that game

Antiwhippy

and i'm being really hard on it, I still think it's a great game (so far)

but route B is in the top 5 things that will make me throw a game out the window, so the fact that i'm in route C should be telling of the quality of that game

It'll pay off for you in the end.

I think.

I dunno.

freetacos

Ugh, I finished ending A months ago and have been busy playing other games to get back into endings B and C. Is it really worth it? I enjoyed Nier decently, but if by beating endings B and C, it could jump into "omg GOTY" for me, I would go back to it.

Just played Edith Finch and the cannary sequence surely has to be a shoe in for moment/sequence of the year?
Man, I sure hope it gets some love. That was a powerful highlight of a great game.

Game that will get robbed during GotY by Destiny 2:
Nier: A
Wolfy 2
Night in the Woods
Divinity Original Sin 2
Every game that came out this year that you like
Wolfenstein will get plenty of love though, almost everyone on staff seems excited about it.

I meant there's no higher tier to the combat, or perhaps more accurately there's no incentive to play the combat at a higher tier.

The incentive is you actually have fun.

That's a terrible comparison given the variety in the shrines vs. Nier's hacking encounters.

Ugh, I finished ending A months ago and have been busy playing other games to get back into endings B and C. Is it really worth it? I enjoyed Nier decently, but if by beating endings B and C, it could jump into "omg GOTY" for me, I would go back to it.
Yes. It went from good, not great, to top 3 game of the year for me.

Antiwhippy

Nier would not be anywhere in my top 10 if i only played a.

robotrock

Banned

I went from not enjoying the game at all to thinking it was utterly incredible. I can't remember the last game I played that took such advantage of what only this medium can do.

Moaradin

It went from pretty good after finishing A to one of my favorite games of all time after getting all the main endings

but ymmv

Me:
Ending A - I love this game
B - I LOVE this game
CDE - I LOVE THIS GAME!

robotrock

Banned
Minakami yuki route from subahibi is the route of the year.

*puts into Google, opens Steam link*

header.jpg

Content in this product may not be appropriate for all ages, or may not be appropriate for viewing at work.

never change Antiwhippy

Jintor

The incentive is you actually have fun.

I don't get anything out of Nier:A combat in the same way I get out of Bayo combat. Hell, even Transformers: Devastation has more compelling combat than Nier:A.

Of course, 'servicable platinum combat' is still several tiers above most other devs.

Jintor

i ended up watching the og cook serve delicious ql again after the csd2 ql and man Ryan and Jeff had such effortless chemistry. makes sense of course but yeah, they were such a fantastic duo.

Me:
Ending A - I love this game
B - I LOVE this game
CDE - I LOVE THIS GAME!

Me:
Ending A- That was alright, I can get into this

Ending B- I don't know...not feeling the game as much as I did before...I heard Route C is different so lets see where this goes

Ending C/D/E-
Me to Yoko Taro:

My love for the game grew 3 sizes that day

BTA

I want them to play Arctic Alive but the best way to play Arctic Alive is to realize that it's made in fucking Blender and so you can open the launcher and directly edit the game and its (Python) code and let me tell you, that's a good time.

Antiwhippy

For serious though I've always wanted a silent hill series on giantbomb, but I dunno if Abby is the right person to drive it seeing that she hates stories.

I don't get anything out of Nier:A combat in the same way I get out of Bayo combat. Hell, even Transformers: Devastation has more compelling combat than Nier:A.

Of course, 'servicable platinum combat' is still several tiers above most other devs.

I basically force myself to engage with these types of games because I don't want to be the person who does the stinger over and over and then whines about it when that stops working. "Force" probably isn't the exact right word because I'm having fun, but you get the idea. That definitely colors my impression of these games.

And you can do some ridiculous stuff in T:D. It's great. It might actually be the most complex Platinum combat system in terms of different elements interacting wih each other. But it's a shame the loot aspect of the game drags everything down.

Top Bottom