• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

2965668-cp_excorps_ep08_alex_09182017.00_40_17_54.still001.jpg

The Exquisite Corps: X-Com: Enemy Within - Part 08
It's time for the Corps to start pushing back and Commander Navarro is ready to give those aliens a good shove.

floaty assholes

hamchan

Game updates. I think I remembered why I wasn't too into FFXII back in the day. After the first 6-7 story filled hours the story seems to drop off a cliff. I've spent the last 13 hours after that initial period basically traveling from place to place with minimal story, maybe a short cutscene after a few hours of grinding enemies. But this remaster makes this period more tolerable with its 4x speed, plus I have the benefit of podcasts in 2017 to listen to while I spend hours killing monsters that I didn't have back in 2006, so now I'm still really enjoying myself.

Will they figure out what holotargeting does and why it's SUPER FUCKING USEFUL before this is over y/n
I think moving the squadsight sniper at the start of the turn is the bigger issue, not to mention hunkering down instead of overwatching with pistol. And while HEAT Ammo was somewhat nerfed in Enemy Within, they'll still be kicking themselves for not picking it once Cyberdiscs start showing up.

patapuf

I think moving the squadsight sniper at the start of the turn and hunkering down is the bigger issue. And while HEAT Ammo was somewhat nerfed in Enemy Within, they'll still be kicking themselves for not picking it once Cyberdiscs start showing up.

Yeah, having that helps a lot.

I don't remember if MEC's have anti-robot weapons. That could help too.

At least they have the shredder Rocket.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
No, firmly antiyippy too.

This galaxy s8+ curved screen might be beautiful but it kinda fucking sucks to swype on.

Yeah, having that helps a lot.

I don't remember if MEC's have anti-robot weapons. That could help too.
Seems MECs have an area of effect attack that shuts down robots from one turn if they can get in close. Do they have the resources to do much with the MECs though? Only played the base version without the MECs, but it seems like they require a fair bit of resources to be effective and stay operational, and right now it feels like they're barely keeping afloat. They should be focusing on satellites, laser weapons and basic armor.

patapuf

Seems MECs have an area of effect attack that shuts down robots from one turn if they can get in close. Do they have the resources to do much with the MECs though? Only played the base version without the MECs, but it seems like they require a fair bit of resources to be effective and stay operational, and right now it feels like they're barely keeping afloat.

They got some meld, They should have enough for 1.

I just hope they go for the MEC's instead of the psy soldiers. they are much easier to use and much stronger, imo.

They got some meld, They should have enough for 1.

I just hope they go for the MEC's instead of the psy soldiers. they are much easier to use and much stronger, imo.
Seems they require a bit of different playstyle though? They operate more like Chryssalids, and don't use cover? Hopefully they'll figure that out and don't just waste a lot of resources on something they get killed immediately.

Anyway, if any of The Corps is reading this, rather than just criticizing I'd like to emphasize a few points:

You shouldn't just move in the order the game presents the soldiers. Especially when in combat, check out who can move where and what hit percentages they have and then make a plan and figure out your own order.

It will often be smart to make Zhang take the first shot, since even if he fails to kill his target his Holo-Targeting ability will give an aim bonus to everybody else who shoots at that same target.

It will usually be best to move the Abomination last and generally let him hang back, since his Squadsight ability lets him target enemies at much longer range than any of the enemies or your other units. Ideally place him somewhere where he has as wide a view of the battlefield as possible and he can provide instant backup for your forward units whenever they trigger a new enemy group.

And beyond that I'd just like to say I really enjoy the feature, and any criticism of your gameplay is out of worry that it'll be cut short.

Tubobutts

The MECs aren't like Chryssalids at all. Their main weapon is still a big ol gun.

They can have a very strong melee attack, but I could never get it to actually target enemies and not some random piece of cover.

Telfo

another good exquisite corps episode and
it sounds like Dans shenanigans with changing characters names will be put to a stop

Jintor

The MECs aren't like Chryssalids at all. Their main weapon is still a big ol gun.

They can have a very strong melee attack, but I could never get it to actually target enemies and not some random piece of cover.

IrPmPk2.gif

i honestly really liked MECs in EW. XCOM 2 sparks just aren't the same at all.

patapuf

The punch is one of the most satisfying ability to use.

Edit: I see Jintor beat me.

Tubobutts

I think there was just something fucked up about the IPad version of EW because whenever I'd line up the targeting reticule with the enemy, my MEC would do an immediate 180 and then punch a wall.

They have lower accuracy than regular troops, mostly short range abilities, don't get any bonuses from cover, and have the hardened trait? While obviously not exactly like Chryssalids, they seem similarly focused on rushing the enemy and devastating them up close.

I guess there are advanced builds and stuff you can do by converting troopers who already had good aim... but it seems unlikely that The Corps will get into that. That said, I'm just musing based on what I read on the wiki. How would you say a basic, non-upgraded MEC is best used?

swimbuff

Hmm I'm not feeling the latest premium series from CBS, Star Trek Discovery. Still better than Kingdom Heartache.

It looks hella Mass Effect, which is weird for a show supposedly set 10 years before original Star Trek.

Probably mentioned already but was listening to the latest Bombcast, reader e-mail about re-pros and what unreleased games they'd like to see get a re-pro in the West.

Brad mentions Seiken Densetsu 3 aka Secret of Mana 2, "It's a game that has 6 playable characters, you can choose your teammates/squad and you meet up with the other characters you didn't choose along the way." Ben - "That's like Chrono Cross right?"

nfNeT7YvTozx0cv7ze3mplZpo1_500.gif

Tubobutts

They have lower accuracy than regular troops, mostly short range abilities, don't get any bonuses from cover, and have the hardened trait? While obviously not exactly like Chryssalids, they seem similarly focused on rushing the enemy and devastating them up close.

I guess there are advanced builds and stuff you can do by converting troopers who already had good aim... but it seems unlikely that The Corps will get into that. That said, I'm just musing based on what I read on the wiki. How would you say a basic, non-upgraded MEC is best used?
Use big gun to shoot enemies.

Although I'm pretty sure my main MEC trooper was made out of a Sniper so he didn't suffer from the aim penalties very much. And they might stumble into that by making the Abomination into a Robo-Abomination.

Top Bottom