• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT32| I've been meaning to love a boat

oti

Banned
I kind of feel the same. I like the odd Brad stream but cross-coast content is so much better than solo streams. I just wish they'd move on from PUBG and play different multiplayer games every Monday.

Jeff, reading this thread.

"They actually believe we'll continue producing #content on Mondays after PUBG?"

(laughs)

(forgets Monday #content existed)

Siege rules and GB are dummies for dismissing it. It's one of the best mp shooters ever.

cosign to this, i'm not a big multiplayer guy at all but I spent a few hours with siege online and was shocked when the guys dismissed it because of like, microtransactions. that game is something special imo

RE: speakers from a few pages ago, the best option imo is to build your own. https://sites.google.com/site/undefinition/speedster easy to assemble, you can house them in whatever you want, best bang for your buck, etc..

my gf's current audio setup is vintage sl-1200 into a receiver/phono pre-amp and out to these very speakers. whole thing cost around $500 due to ebay and craigslist and sounds damn good.

Kaibutsu

Super looking forward to them attempting the raid tomorrow. I expect it to be a very fun shit show with Dan running off and doing his own thing :)

3CEy3Pg.jpg

edit: also if Brad sticks to his guns and doesn't try to help with them with any solutions this should be a 12 hour stream over multiple days

Joey Ravn

Banned
My post is a reference to an idea I shared some days ago.

They should use Mondays to each stream from their home. That way we would have several hours of additional content on Monday with different games. Jeff could play old games. Dan Destiny 2. Jason some anime game. Brad Zelda or other Switch games. Or whatever they want, really. No fuss. Just the native streaming apps on consoles or PC.

That way they could produce more and more diverse content from their home with minimal effort. They could even overlap their streams and it would be up to users to watch them whenever they want.

This is such a good idea and I'm sure GB would never ever even consider it.

Oh, that's actually a great idea. If they don't want to stream from their homes, at least they could do it from the studio in a much more casual and less structured format. Maybe explore a game or two they wouldn't have time to play otherwise. Like... give an hour to a game to see if it clicks. Less involved than a Playdate or scheduled stream and needing less preparation than a Quick Look.

Apart from that, I really loathe the idea that singleplayer games have no value now that PUBG exists. It's been pushed hard by some people, especially here in NeoGAF. SMH. We get it: PUBG is the game to end all games. It's going to win GOTY in Early Access and GOTY again when it comes out as full release. Just stop shitting on every game you don't like because it's not this revelatory multiplayer game. Jeez.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
The feeling of winning in PUBG is very similar to those clutch moments in CS actually - I think it's the whole 'shit, my whole team is watching, I better not fuck up' feeling.

Not true at all. Winning in say, Overwatch, or Call of Duty, is a much different feeling.

Hmm, not that I've gotten a chicken dinner to compare (got a few top 10 which isn't really that impressive), but to me my most satisfactory multiplayer experiences has been mostly fighting games.

Winning a runback is seriously one of the most satisfying feelings I've had. So is beating a rival I clearly knew was better than me.

oti

Banned
Oh, that's actually a great idea. If they don't want to stream from their homes, at least they could do it from the studio in a much more casual and less structured format. Maybe explore a game or two they wouldn't have time to play otherwise. Like... give an hour to a game to see if it clicks. Less involved than a Playdate or scheduled stream and needing less preparation than a Quick Look.

Apart from that, I really loathe the idea that singleplayer games have no value now that PUBG exists. It's been pushed hard by some people, especially here in NeoGAF. SMH. We get it: PUBG is the game to end all games. It's going to win GOTY in Early Access and GOTY again when it comes out as full release. Just stop shitting on every game you don't like because it's not this revelatory multiplayer game. Jeez.

Initially they said they wanted to stay home on Mondays. That's why I'm suggesting home streams. Instead of going to the studio for PUBG they could just stay home and stream 2h each. It just makes too much sense.

Also I agree about the PUBG evangelists. It's becoming a cult more and more. Add in some crazy "this shows PC is the best" people and you get some insufferable fans.

We get it. You like this mod turned game. Relax.
It's a shame Dan is in New York now and won't play SNES games on stream with Jeff now.

Can't wait for Ben's bad jokes.

BTA

Man, I think I need to unfollow Swery on Twitter for now. It's heartbreaking

Oh, well I don't listen to a lot of music on higher volumes. I actually barley listen to music at all nowadays, just can't find a lot of new stuff I like.

Just checked and I feel so bad. I want that game so badly and it's just... not going to be made. Their whole handling of the campaign is so weird; the rewards seem really badly thought out price-wise and their updates are just gifs. It feels like they didn't do any research and no one at Fig tried to help or something.

Do you wish for the blue wall to be a monster representing your repressed sexual urges.

It already is.

In the director's cut video comments

fAvOIqI.png

lmao

Wonderful.

jiggles

Banned
This seriously reads like anytime you win a multiplayer game.

That's the thing that gets me about pubg, it's that they speak in these platitudes that makes me think "have you just not won a game online before?"

I mean i sorta get it seeing that winning a game in pubg is kind of a bigger ordeal than most.

edit: eh reading back on it I came out as a dick seeing that you didn't imply any of that as unique to PUBG. Sorry about that. Been doing a waypoint relisten and if you thought beastcast/bombcast talked way too much about PUBG waypoint will fry your mind, so it's just me unfairly lashing out from that.

Yeah, I'm not even comparing PUBG to other games, just describing my experience with it after getting my first win.

If you want a comparative analysis, though, here goes:

I think the reason PUBG wins feel special in a way that few other multiplayer games do is because it's so unlikely for the average player. The percentage of players who win any given game is only 4% in squads, 2% in duos and 1% solo, and the chance of an average player being in those top brackets in terms of skill or knowledge of the game in any match is basically nil.

So nobody gets their first win without a lot of luck. Whether the circle goes your way, or you get really fortunate with loot, or if somehow nobody is looking your way as you crawl through the middle of everyone killing eachother. You feel like you're punching above your weight by getting to the end, and because you die so easy everything is on a knife edge throughout. And importantly, it takes 30 minutes of continually carrying your fragile dude through the match without dying to bag a win. While a loss can be over in 2 minutes and you're done. Losses are many and most are throwaway, while all wins are monumental, and that's why it's getting the platitudes you see. Your first win feels almost like a rite of passage. I think if you asked how many people were having dreams about the game before their first chicken dinner, you'd be surprised at how high the number is.

I'm not saying any of this makes PUBG a better game than any other multiplayer game, shooter or otherwise, I'm just trying to explain why it's not the same as most.

oti

Banned
In case you want to re-live the moment.

1:47:52.

The rest of this Murder Island was as lame as always.

I don't want to see this game ever again.

Antiwhippy

Yeah, I'm not even comparing PUBG to other games, just describing my experience with it after getting my first win.

If you want a comparative analysis, though, here goes:

I think the reason PUBG wins feel special in a way that few other multiplayer games do is because it's so unlikely for the average player. The percentage of players who win any given game is only 4% in squads, 2% in duos and 1% solo, and the chance of an average player being in those top brackets in terms of skill or knowledge of the game in any match is basically nil.

So nobody gets their first win without a lot of luck. Whether the circle goes your way, or you get really fortunate with loot, or if somehow nobody is looking your way as you crawl through the middle of everyone killing eachother. You feel like you're punching above your weight by getting to the end, and because you die so easy everything is on a knife edge throughout. And importantly, it takes 30 minutes of continually carrying your fragile dude through the match without dying to bag a win. While a loss can be over in 2 minutes and you're done. Losses are many and most are throwaway, while all wins are monumental, and that's why it's getting the platitudes you see. Your first win feels almost like a rite of passage. I think if you asked how many people were having dreams about the game before their first chicken dinner, you'd be surprised at how high the number is.

I'm not saying any of this makes PUBG a better game than any other multiplayer game, shooter or otherwise, I'm just trying to explain why it's not the same as most.

I just listened to the polygon show where one of the casters described getting her first chicken dinner while stuck in a jeep honking lol.

You're right about the stakes and illusiveness of the dinner. To me I feel that it is somewhat similar to climbing a ladder of a game with a tiered ranking system with the stakes of having to win more games than you lose and the randomness of matchmaking in order to move up the tiers, but it is condensed down to a single game.

edit: which now that I think about it kinda does play into your feeling of being part of the club once you get one. Because there's only realistically one tier in PUBG, and it's those who got the chicken dinners and those who didn't. Do people care that much about their global leaderboard standings?

Wonder if things will change if they do add in a tiered ranking system.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
What if the really get into Fortnite and King of the Kill now and the top 3 this year will all be Battle Royal games.
Wasn't there another Battle Royale game before Battlegrounds that apparently nobody cared about?

Just came home from Amsterdam, I don't the hype.

Outside of the weed love.

I was really disappointed when I got there the first time. It's a nice city and all but if you're not interested in weed and prostitutes it's not that special.

mixmixmixmix

Neo Member
TOO MUCH COMPLAINING. GB can do whatever the hell they want to do. I don't like wrestling or fighting games, but so what? NOBODY CARES WHAT YOU LIKE :D

CH-CH-CH-CHICKEN DINNER BABY!

Fantastapotamus

Man, not only does Star Wars Battlefront II have loot boxes, it has cards, "battlepoints" AND crafting! All the hits!
I wish I could be excited about this game!

Fantastapotamus

Wait what.

What can you craft in a battlefront game?

According to the trailer, better cards.
I think the idea is you get trash cards in the loot boxes which you then feed to other cards to make them better.

(I have no idea if this is how cards actually work, but it's my nightmare scenario)

Man, not only does Star Wars Battlefront II have loot boxes, it has cards, "battlepoints" AND crafting! All the hits!

Thats why I felt apprehensive when they ditched the season pass. At first I thought "great at least the community won't be split and people can finally play all maps, good on you EA" then after 5 minutes went "It's a AAA in 2017, There are gonna be even worse things in the game to make up for no season pass isn't there?"

patapuf

Oh man, i was going to give this one a shot since they were going to drop their usual premium modell but this sounds even worse.

I can deal with cosmetic lootboxes but fake currency, cards and crafting sounds pretty terrible.

Heh. My short experience with Siege were 3 matches with me getting TKed at round start because I was new to the game. Uninstalled then, seems like a great communiy.

Oh the community is dog shit, for sure. There's not even reporting tools for anything besides cheating. I quit the game for around a year because I got harassed by teammates in a ranked game because they decided I was an SJW or something. Don't want to recount the whole experience but it was so fucking bad I quit playing the game completely for a good long while. Wasn't just some coarse language, they went so far as to throw the game to grief and teamkill me. In ranked! It still pisses me off and confounds me in equal measure.

Antiwhippy

According to the trailer, better cards.
I think the idea is you get trash cards in the loot boxes which you then feed to other cards to make them better.

(I have no idea if this is how cards actually work, but it's my nightmare scenario)

Oh great.

They're taking the best lessons from mobile F2p.

derFeef

Oh the community is dog shit, for sure. There's not even reporting tools for anything besides cheating. I quit the game for around a year because I got harassed by teammates in a ranked game because they decided I was an SJW or something. Don't want to recount the whole experience but it was so fucking bad I quit playing the game completely for a good long while. Wasn't just some coarse language, they went so far as to throw the game to grief and teamkill me. In ranked! It still pisses me off and confounds me in equal measure.

Wow. How is Ubisoft not doing anything against it? Well I guess it's one rason the game is still going strong. Not touching that anymore for sure.

Top Bottom