• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hindl

Are we talking about Todd Howard or the mushroom man or

latest

Did you know For Honor released this year?

Didn't hook me in but I enjoyed what I played of it. It had the potential to be really good if they made a solid campaign but alas they didn't(the campaign is really average). To be fair though, it was sort of set out to be a MP experience from the get go but it just didn't hook me in enough to get me to play it for a long time.

Honestly all 3 of those are pretty close to being AAA. They would have been AAA games by last gen standards probably.

I think part of "AAA" (which honestly is a stupid term to begin with and we need to stop using it as it has no real meaning anymore) is also the studio behind it. And indie can't make a AAA game, you are looking at top studios that make games and put money not into just the game itself but also the marketing as well. The game has a high level of production (and polish, but that seems less and less as time goes on)

Microtransactions just got a whole lot scummier: Activision-Blizzard has patented a way to use them in multiplayer matchmaking.
"In a particular example, the junior player may wish to become an expert sniper in a game (e.g., as determined from the player profile)," according to the patent. "The microtransaction engine may match the junior player with a player that is a highly skilled sniper in the game. In this manner, the junior player may be encouraged to make game-related purchases such as a rifle or other item used by the marquee player. "

The system can also drop players into matches that will make use of an in-game-related purchase, according to the patent.

"Doing so may enhance a level of enjoyment by the player for the game-related purchase, which may encourage future purchases," according to the patent. "For example, if the player purchased a particular weapon, the microtransaction engine may match the player in a gameplay session in which the particular weapon is highly effective, giving the player an impression that the particular weapon was a good purchase. This may encourage the player to make future purchases to achieve similar gameplay results."
I am curious what absurd fishing term will be co-opted to describe these players in marketing.

Salarians

my only exposure to South Park was playing a shitty N64 game where you could piss in snowballs before you threw them

even my child brain thought that was dumb

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
They should do a gaming show that is a rip-off of rock clues.

First one: cuphead.

What did they ask the medic to do on the Titanic?

Heal the berg.

Hilda Berg.

Harpuia

The very first episode of south park I ever saw was the one where Cartman kills a kid's parents and forces said kid to eat them.

Nobody could, and still can't, convince me to watch more.

Hindl

Is it me or does this new South Park game feel kinda bloated with all its systems? Seems like too much going on, but maybe they ramp it up well

Yup

Thank god indie games exist, no lootboxes in Cuphead
Seriously, big game developers/publishers just whine and complain that these things happen because they wouldn't get any profit or whatever. Maybe for you to have to do such things to turn in a profit IS THE problem in the first place.

daveo42

Banned
The very first episode of south park I ever saw was the one where Cartman kills a kid's parents and forces said kid to eat them.

Nobody could, and still can't, convince me to watch more.

Man, that was one of the better episodes of South Park, though I felt like the show only got good around the time Butters became an actual character instead of just one of the background kids. Fell off of the show several years ago because I just stopped watching.

repeater

Guys, I've moved (temporarily) from Sweden to the US, and I'm all confused about time. Has this week's Bombcast already been recorded, or is it yet to come?

oti

Banned
I think we are just about there. At the very least a AAA market crash. I'd be fine with that.

What? Why? As long as the mass market consumer won't stop buying microtransactions all of a sudden, the market will continue to grow.

What will happen instead is consolidation. The big games get bigger, smaller games and developers will disappear or establish their niche.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
South Park looks way too "complicated" for me. Like not in the "I don't know what I'm doing" but in the "I really don't have the patience to deal with all this" way.

In Divinity 2 related news, I talked with a Magic Rooster, a chest, a boat, the ghost of a chicken and slept with a lizard. How's your day? With how many magic roosters can you talk in Destiny 2?
Also I missed the Visceral news. I guess that means Dante's Inferno is dead now

Microtransactions just got a whole lot scummier: Activision-Blizzard has patented a way to use them in multiplayer matchmaking.

I am curious what absurd fishing term will be co-opted to describe these players in marketing.

Coooooooooooool

daveo42

Banned
Guys, I've moved (temporarily) from Sweden to the US, and I'm all confused about time. Has this week's Bombcast already been recorded, or is it yet to come?

It'll be up later tonight. Also, welcome to America! Get out while you still can!

You'd think that.

But then you see stuff like 400k people bought wardor on Steam alone in the first week.

Yeah, I saw that and thought it was crazy. Either publishers toe the line and until this kind of atrocious monetization is normalized or the fans break and say no more. Maybe I have too much hope in fans calling bullshit on this. It could easily go the way of horse armor dlc.

daveo42

Banned
What? Why? As long as the mass market consumer won't stop buying microtransactions all of a sudden, the market will continue to grow.

What will happen instead is consolidation. The big games get bigger, smaller games and developers will disappear or establish their niche.

Nah, "indie" will still be a major player as publishers like Adult Swim are still around. Same with actual independent studios partnering with Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo to release their games. Basically the divide between "indie" and AAA will grow larger in your scenario.

Stoze

I can see it now:
Super Mario Odyssey Patch Notes 1.1.2

Change Log:
-Added Mystery Block function in Mario's ship:
Mystery Blocks are now available in The Odyssey!

Pay 500 coins ($5.00 USD) to hit the mystery block, and watch as 3 unique items come out*. Items range from stickers, costumes, and file select icons. Stickers come in bigger sizes than the ones you'll purchase at Crazy Cap™ stores and can be placed anywhere on your ship. Rare costumes can even give Mario new moves such as a double jump or the Star-Spin from Mario Galaxy (shake the Joycons in mid-air to activate)!

*Only 1 guaranteed rare.
-Removed infinite coin exploit in Tostarena and New Donk City

oti

Banned
Nah, "indie" will still be a major player as publishers like Adult Swim are still around. Same with actual independent studios partnering with Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo to release their games. Basically the divide between "indie" and AAA will grow larger in your scenario.
I'm not talking about the indie space. I'm talking about the AAA space. Bigger games such as Destiny and Call of Duty will get even bigger while less popular names will disappear. Their developers will be bought by bigger publishers to work on their bigger games instead.

daveo42

Banned
I'm not talking about the indie space. I'm talking about the AAA space. Bigger games such as Destiny and Call of Duty will get even bigger while less popular names will disappear. Their developers will be bought by bigger publishers to work on their bigger games instead.

Name some less popular AAA titles still around. Unless you think AssCreed, FarCry, CoD, or some other series is just going to stop being produced. We are already at that point. Pretty much everything else released is outside of the AAA space.

DMXuT8nUEAAeGld.jpg

Hmmmmmm should I cop?

Buy
i might do the same.

Fantastapotamus

We already see this.
Activision makes Destiny and CoD. Without Blizzard that would be all they make nowadays.
EA makes Battlefront/field, EA Sports and NFS. Bioware is still around but after Andromeda, if Anthem fails they are done too.
Ubisoft is the only big publisher right now who actually makes a lot of games still.

oti

Banned
Name some less popular AAA titles still around. Unless you think AssCreed, FarCry, CoD, or some other series is just going to stop being produced. We are already at that point. Pretty much everything else released is outside of the AAA space.

Buy
i might do the same.

I'm actually wondering what the future will bring for Assassin's Creed. Ubisoft is sending clear signals they don't consider it to be their key franchise anymore. I would also wonder about games such as Saints Row, Just Cause, The Evil Within. Just game franchises that are AAA by definition and yet seem pretty far away from GTA, CoD and Destiny.

Also, what about Watch Dogs?

BTA

Oh, dang, I’m buying a friend a copy as a birthday gift then (along with Automata).

I bought mine a year or two ago when it was $20 on the store.

Fantastapotamus

I'm actually wondering what the future will bring for Assassin's Creed. Ubisoft is sending clear signals they don't consider it to be their key franchise anymore. I would also wonder about games such as Saints Row, Just Cause, The Evil Within. Just game franchises that are AAA by definition and yet seem pretty far away from GTA, CoD and Destiny.

Also, what about Watch Dogs?

Didn't Watch Dogs 2 flop? At least I don't think it sold that well. If AC isn't a key franchise Watch_Dogs is done.
I also don't think we'll ever see a new Just Cause or Evil Within.
Volition probably has to make Saint's Row V if they want to stay around at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom