• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamchan

I still remember the old days when PUBG was only at like 500k sold, Giant Bomb did a QL, and some of us were saying something like “oh this looks like a game in this genre that I would actually play”.

I’d be hard pressed to name 10 better games than PUBG this year.

ZaB8aC3.gif

I'm loving Stardew Valley but I can tell I'm "bad" at it. I could be doing way more farming and move up the build tree way faster, but I prefer keeping things slow-paced.

Meguro

Banned
Yeah there's been video of moons that come in three packs and stuff.
I'm sure you get like 5 or maybe even 10 moons after beating a boss.

I'm only a few hours into Shadow of War, but there are three instances of the game straight up re-using cutscenes from the first game. The "previously on" intro, a re-telling of the opening of the first game, and another moment where Celebrimbor reminisces about some fight and they show a CGI video that was also in Shadow of Mordor.

What the fuck.

I feel like this game must have had a last-second Destiny 1-esque overhaul or something, because it seems patchwork as fuck.

amazed by that moon count... korok seeds were vast in numbers solely to allow everyone to get enough to upgrade satchel space without actively seeking them out. the idea of 900 diverse tasks ranging in difficulty ranging in difficulty and length... god

I'm loving Stardew Valley but I can tell I'm "bad" at it. I could be doing way more farming and move up the build tree way faster, but I prefer keeping things slow-paced.

everything repeats, so just take your time with it. it's a very relaxing side game to play off and on at your own pace. no need to feel rushed

Lari

Stardew Valley is best enjoyed at a slow pace. I should get back to my farm.

I played it pretty obssessively last year while I had no job and my life was detereorating.
Stardew is the perfect escape.

Are the GB west guys ever going to do anything co-op?

Steal my sunshine and X-corps are so good.

I miss 'Scrub League'. I think Jeff has said once or twice in the past that it's tough to do logistically, though, and they're not necessarily in a situation where enough people can be that free.

Wunder

I miss 'Scrub League'. I think Jeff has said once or twice in the past that it's tough to do logistically, though, and they're not necessarily in a situation where enough people can be that free.

I thought they mentioned that when Tekken or something came around, I can't remember. It's almost impossible to do now because besides the logistical problem they just don't have the amount of people they had during the Whiskey days where they could grab anyone from the sister sites and admin/guests like Gary Whitta

christ almighty, this game really blew up huh.

MXfCG3v.png

It's very cool that it's been such a runaway success, but man, it's hard to not be preemptively disheartened that the takeaway won't be "Consumers are hungry for new, different experiences; let's try to innovate!" but "This one thing hit it big; let's replicate it endlessly!" It's obviously not an unusual reaction (and I'm actually interested to see what other franchises do with the mode), but I'm just so very tired of the industry never frigging learning anything lol

So I'm at a crossroads. Should I go with Evil Within 2 or Shadow of War?

I really loved Mordor back in 2014, but it definitely started showing its flaws as time went on. I played it again recently and enjoyed parts of it, but some aspects of the combat really started to wear on me.

I really loved most of what I played in Evil Within, also love RE4 and RE5, but did not much care for the encounter design towards the end and merely like "Action RE" in general. RE7 is my favorite RE game.

Listening to the latest Bombcast discuss all the new systems in Shadow got me really excited to play it, but I'm also hearing great things about Evil Within 2 (I still need to watch that Klepek stream). Any ideas?

Bacon

Amazing that people can listen to Ben talk about how his friends and family are being evacuated and having their houses burn down and then immediately bitch about how he checks his phone for two seconds while on the podcast. Where are you people when dan takes 5 minute bathroom breaks during podcasts?

BTA

I probably won't do everything in Odyssey but I'm hoping to do a lot of it, particularly as a lot of moons seem to be fairly easy.

I imagine it's more the end of the game mopping up of everything I can't already find that I'll just pass on? I dunno.

So I'm at a crossroads. Should I go with Evil Within 2 or Shadow of War?

I really loved Mordor back in 2014, but it definitely started showing its flaws as time went on. I played it again recently and enjoyed parts of it, but some aspects of the combat really started to wear on me.

I really loved most of what I played in Evil Within, also love RE4 and RE5, but did not much care for the encounter design towards the end and merely like "Action RE" in general. RE7 is my favorite RE game.

Listening to the latest Bombcast discuss all the new systems in Shadow got me really excited to play it, but I'm also hearing great things about Evil Within 2 (I still need to watch that Klepek stream). Any ideas?

From the few hours I played of Shadow of War, it seems....alright. Nothing groundbreaking, If anything if feels like a downgrade in the graphics and presentation. It feels really rushed and unpolished to what I remember shadow of Mordor feeling like. Now it's not a bad game at all, the Nemesis system is way more fleshed out and really fun, but I can't help but think it needed about 3 more months in the oven with just the animations and enemies clipping through the environment and all those little things that just make is seem like "another one of those" or "open world jank" as some people describe.

With Evil within 2, I can't actually say since I didn't play the first one, and I'm not a fan of survival horror games. but again, Shadow of War is good and fun, just go in it with lowered expectations. Its not an amazing game, and not terrible either, it's a fun hack and slash nemesis system game and not much else. EDIT: the menus in the game aren't that bad, nor is the loot box stuff. I played 7 hours of it so far and I haven't touched it nor have I touched lootboxes in any other game ever. Opening animations do NOTHING for me. just avoid it, and its not a big deal at all.

swimbuff

With all this talk about Michael Transactions, I’m beginning to get worried about Edge Casey. Haven’t heard from him in a while.

He doesn’t pop up as much anymore since the platform holders figured out cloud saves.

From the few hours I played of Shadow of War, it seems....alright. Nothing groundbreaking, If anything if feels like a downgrade in the graphics and presentation. It feels really rushed and unpolished to what I remember shadow of Mordor feeling like. Now it's not a bad game at all, the Nemesis system is way more fleshed out and really fun, but I can't help but think it needed about 3 more months in the oven with just the animations and enemies clipping through the environment and all those little things that just make is seem like "another one of those" or "open world jank" as some people describe.

With Evil within 2, I can't actually say since I didn't play the first one, and I'm not a fan of survival horror games. but again, Shadow of War is good and fun, just go in it with lowered expectations. Its not an amazing game, and not terrible either, it's a fun hack and slash nemesis system game and not much else. EDIT: the menus in the game aren't that bad, nor is the loot box stuff. I played 7 hours of it so far and I haven't touched it nor have I touched lootboxes in any other game ever. Opening animations do NOTHING for me. just avoid it, and its not a big deal at all.

Thanks. I'm kinda excited for all the menu stuff as odd as that may sound!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom