• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Giant Bomb |OT33| LOOK AT THAT CORN!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BTA

I feel like comparing The Last Night and A Hat In Time is kinda weird. It's not like Hat itself is inherently about abhorrent beliefs like Night; they're just stuck in the position of having JonTron voicing a character since before he was openly horrible and now they can't remove him without facing far more dangerous backlash from his fans than the (completely reasonable) backlash for not having removed him.

And then there's the shady stuff about the team lead from like 5 years ago, which I'm not sure how to feel about, but it's not the entire team.

That being said I don't feel comfortable giving them money while JonTron's still in it regardless of why he's still there, but I also can't say I was going to get it to begin with.

YuriPdo.png

Joeku

I killed Calamity Ganon btw

BOTW good

ilu Lik

That last boss fight is weirdly a low point for me. I guess the downside of the whole game being "get powerful enough to fight this one thing" is if that one thing is not mindblowing it's just kind of a shrug.

LiK

That last boss fight is weirdly a low point for me. I guess the downside of the whole game being "get powerful enough to fight this one thing" is if that one thing is not mindblowing it's just kind of a shrug.

It was kinda easy. Had more trouble with the electric Ganon-lite.

All this talk reminds me that GAF really should have a hell-ban. It's when you ban someone without telling them and they can post messages and threads but no one can see them.

I believe a mod or was it EviLore? did something similar to a member? It involved creating a sub group for said person and no one else could see their posts? My memory on it is fuzzy if it wasn't clear :p

Salarians

the last phase did make for some pretty visuals at least

this is the only Zelda I've finished, even though I played almost every mainline game in this series

Wunder

the last phase did make for some pretty visuals at least

this is the only Zelda I've finished, even though I played almost every mainline game in this series

would you recommend it? Im getting a switch with odyssey and contemplating BOTW. I've never finished a Zelda and the only one I played a bit of was Wind Waker.

Definitely one of the easier bosses, but my god I am INTO the first Ganon phase. That thing had a fucking look.
Reminded me of IT from Resident Evil 4.

Harpuia

would you recommend it? Im getting a switch with odyssey and contemplating BOTW. I've never finished a Zelda and the only one I played a bit of was Wind Waker.

What's your opinion on open world games.

Cause BOTW is one of these. It's one of the best ones, I'll say.

Wunder

What's your opinion on open world games.

Cause BOTW is one of these. It's one of the best ones, I'll say.

love em

but i usually get paralyzed by choice and avoid story missions while prioritizing maxing out a lot of side stuff like skills/inventory. I've stopped playing Far Cry 3 and 4 for those reasons

Harpuia

love em

but i usually get paralyzed by choice and avoid story missions while prioritizing maxing out a lot of side stuff like skills/inventory. I've stopped playing Far Cry 3 and 4 for those reasons

Hmm the good news is that this game doesn't actually have a big emphasis on skills/inventory. There's a way to get more "skills", per se, but it's tied to what the game considers mainline quests.

The bulk of the game is exploring the world and looking at the world around you, and usually picking where to go based on what you see, rather than the game outright telling you "There are now 100 of these, and they're on your map!". Granted, there is a mechanic in the game that is this, but there's an insane amount of of these all over the map.

But parts of the game that make the meat of it are placed on the map in such a way that you'll always feel like you're climbing to the game's logical conclusion no matter where you end up going.

BTA

They should apply SMS rules to Super Mario World/96 exits. The game is much better, plus some of the latter stages would prove quite hilarious. I just did it.

join us: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1440323

Still a bit sad that was the first club game.

I'd love to use it as an excuse to keep going back to the Classic and dig through all the games I've never played, but World is one of the ones I did play as a kid so it's hard to justify replaying all of it right now when I'm in the middle of recent games.

Tagyhag

I believe a mod or was it EviLore? did something similar to a member? It involved creating a sub group for said person and no one else could see their posts? My memory on it is fuzzy if it wasn't clear :p

Wow, that sounds like something that they'd use against Derrick lol.

Wunder

Hmm the good news is that this game doesn't actually have a big emphasis on skills/inventory. There's a way to get more "skills", per se, but it's tied to what the game considers mainline quests.

The bulk of the game is exploring the world and looking at the world around you, and usually picking where to go based on what you see, rather than the game outright telling you "There are now 100 of these, and they're on your map!". Granted, there is a mechanic in the game that is this, but there's an insane amount of of these all over the map.

But parts of the game that make the meat of it are placed on the map in such a way that you'll always feel like you're climbing to the game's logical conclusion no matter where you end up going.

Cool! I think I'll probably pick it up anyway just to see what it's all about. I'm pretty bad about finishing games but maybe I'll get a fun few dozen hours out of it

Salarians

How many hours did you end up at?
a little under 60
yeah, I would

maybe this is a weird comparison but, to me, BOTW is the closest I've felt to the sense of exploration I got the first time I played Dragon's Dogma

it's a really fun world to wander in, the puzzles are generally really fun, the NPC's and their dialogue are charming, the music is fantastic, and (surprisingly) I actually really liked the "main story"

I think my biggest complaint is that one of the four main parts of the game feels a little half assed compared to the others (but it does have the best divine beast)

the music in ganon's castle is sick... not as much of a bop as akkala ancient tech lab though

on that note the castle is easily the best of the 'dungeons' in botw. I enjoyed finally reaching it and exploring every nook and cranny and killing every enemy because I had spent so much time building myself up. It really felt earned, and I think the boss fight is the same way, it's more about the spectacle of it all to me than some insanely impossible challenge

the other divine beast dungeons feel small and simple in the context of this giant world where you can do anything you would ever want to do. again, i was still impressed with the spectacle of them and really just fascinated with how well designed they are--but they are relatively quick experiences after anticipation/buildup from the quests leading to them. those quests are in fact amazing--the game does an awesome job of shifting from this giant sandbox to a contained zelda experience imo...

damn i do love botw, any slight faults included. hope someone goes to bat for it at goty with dan cause i don't think he can sell it himself

Harpuia

the music in ganon's castle is sick... not as much of a bop as akkala ancient tech lab though

on that note the castle is easily the best of the 'dungeons' in botw. I enjoyed finally reaching it and exploring every nook and cranny and killing every enemy because I had spent so much time building myself up. It really felt earned, and I think the boss fight is the same way, it's more about the spectacle of it all to me than some insanely impossible challenge

the other divine beast dungeons feel small and simple in the context of this giant world where you can do anything you would ever want to do. again, i was still impressed with the spectacle of them and really just fascinated with how well designed they are--but they are relatively quick experiences after anticipation/buildup from the quests leading to them. those quests are in fact amazing--the game does an awesome job of shifting from this giant sandbox to a contained zelda experience imo...

damn i do love botw, any slight faults included. hope someone goes to bat for it at goty with dan cause i don't think he can sell it himself

In a perfect world, I wonder if the Divine Beasts would've been smaller Hyrule Castles.

I wonder what the DLC has in store. They've barely discussed what it is, and I'm under the impression that it's a "new region", kinda like how the Skyrim and New Vegas DLC's were. I really hope that they give us another dungeon on the same scope as the castle.

def sim

Finally got around to watching GB get their chicken dinner. Jeff stepped up as the leader in the end there and Brad made up for that last “got ‘em” moment. That was fun.

Bluehole should make a spooky, all fog hopper for Halloween.

BotW's combat was the most disappointing aspect of the game. I enjoyed pretty much everything else.

I enjoyed the combat but I also feel like it could stand for some improvments.

Bit I dunno, I liked the combat in the witcher as well so maybe I'm just weird.

LiK

I want more control for the weapons. Link always feels like a kid just waving random things around rather than feeling like a warrior.

Harpuia

Just, give Link a hookshot and the combat would've had a hell of a lot more complexity.

OK I know I'm implying that they should turn BOTW into Just Cause. All I'm saying is Just Cause had some good ideas.

Tagyhag

Finally got around to watching GB get their chicken dinner. Jeff stepped up as the leader in the end there and Brad made up for that last “got ‘em” moment. That was fun.

Bluehole should make a spooky, all fog hopper for Halloween.

Yeah, while the fog helped. If Brad and Jeff hadn't killed those last 3 people before their final kill they would have been done for, they were surrounded by two different teams.

Jeff also killed the guy that I figured would have killed them all while he was distracted, that guy had over 10 kills throughout the match and I think he had the LMG.

I want more control for the weapons. Link always feels like a kid just waving random things around rather than feeling like a warrior.

Yeah I liked it but you are right, the combat was kinda simplistic.

Just, give Link a hookshot and the combat would've had a hell of a lot more complexity.

OK I know I'm implying that they should turn BOTW into Just Cause. All I'm saying is Just Cause had some good ideas.

I mean, with CJ in BOTW I feel like Rico isn't too far fetched.

Yeah, while the fog helped. If Brad and Jeff hadn't killed those last 3 people before their final kill they would have been done for, they were surrounded by two different teams.

Jeff also killed the guy that I figured would have killed them all while he was distracted, that guy had over 10 kills throughout the match and I think he had the LMG.

Yup I remember when he just went full auto with the LMG while GB was crawling

that shit was tense

late game hookshot in botw would have denounced all the climbing complaints... though I honestly feel like the stamina upgrades + powers allow you to climb plenty fast enough

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom