• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GirlGAF |OT 2| Shall I Compare Thee to a Summer's Eve?

Ugggggghhhhh. Got a new Second Class who treats my female sailors like they cant fucking do anything. Very obviously biased towards the boys when assigning work. Nevermind, our fucking top performing, highest qualified third class is a woman. Fucking frustrating because I have to be professional and pretend like I just think he is stupid and not sexist to keep him from getting an EO complaint.
This sounds like you're protecting him. Is there a reason you don't want him to get such a complaint? Would it impact you as well?

Got all dressed up for my anniversary dinner (17 years OMG) today, heels and makeup and everything. Even had two maragritas!

Then we came straight home. I'm getting old lol.

Posted a selfie on my Facebook lol.
Congrats! My wife and I have been married for 5 but together for 15 and we haven't done anything major for ours in a while. Now I kinda want to haha.

Also, there's no shame in coming right home because, as my wife would say, home is where pants and bras are optional!

Back on Saturday I rode back home with a couple of my coworkers. They were yelling out the window at a woman and then later pulling up and asking another for a ride and I told them to leave them alone. I don't know what's up with some guys. Later on some car pulled up next to us and they were talking up about jumping the guy. They asked me if I would have their back and I was like "nah, I don't get no beef with him". They followed that car into an empty parking lot and were talking about getting his gun out from the back, but decided not to rob the guy as they thought he probably didn't have any money on him and pulled out the lot. I was scared there.

Yeah, I just gave y'all the short version of it. I went into length in BCT, but that was crazy.

I asked the woman I worked with yesterday if she ever worked with the guys I told y'all about on Saturday and she said she has and seems pretty close. I told her about what happened and she think they were just playing. I don't know, maybe I just couldn't pick up on it, but I thought they were pretty real.

I was excited in our meeting we had on my first day when one of the other black girls said she still has a Gamecube. I thought I finally found a gamer I could talk too outside of the internet, but then I asked her if she was getting a Switch and if she watched E3. She didn't have a clue what I was talking about. It's hard finding other black female gamers.

Well, people aren't very nice to black female gamers, so I don't begrudge other black girls when they aren't interested in it (especially after being given a laundry list of reasons it's "not quite as bad" for me that was a guilt trip but also made me check myself) I do like to mention games I think my friends would be interested in. There's a genre for every taste after all.

I kind of wish I liked yoga more then games. It might be a more helpful hobby for my awful self confidence.

Media

I played overwatch last night and dared the voice chat and NO COMMENTED ON MY VOICE. It was amazing. Oh, well, one guy said I sounded like Widowmaker, but was just a good team player after that.

Corepower is my go to. It's like the Starbucks of yoga, plus their classes never expire if you buy a package. Mr. BSB and I buy classes from there and we do classes together.

Otherwise, I'd suggest Groupon. You can find a set of 10 classes for only $40.

Interesting. There's a studio not too far from me too, I'll have to check that out!

I need to vent, and well a new topic isn't exactly the way to do it.

So I've been going to the university for the past year and this year my boyfriend got accepted to go. We've lived right across the street from the CC since I started there. Gas costs for the week are like nill, especially in CA and they just approved a new gas tax hike. So total cost of living was down substatially. And we never had to eat on campus. This past year with just me travelling to and from school started costing a lot of money, so we want to move closer to that campus.

Housing costs are built into financial aid packages and total COA. But we cannot find a single place that will accept it as a source of income. Well, one place would but we'd be spending more than double what we pay now for slightly more space. A 2bed to even consider getting a roommate to share the costs would be over 3x our current rent.

In short, we're fucked. The way things are now are going to stay this way. There isn't much chance for improvement on the situation. We've always used my financial aid money to pay the rent. We have a 5 1/2 year rental history in one place, and never a late payment. 95% of properties are run by management companies and even the few private landlords won't accept it. Plus we have a cat, and I'm not giving him up. He's 4 years old and we've had him since he was a tiny kitten. I don't care about paying an extra deposit, but it usually prevents us from even trying for a place.

Even a few hundred dollar increase in rent would make up for it if we're closer to school. But food and gas will be too much for the both of us to attend. We're both upper division now, so we don't even have classes we could take together.

Yup, roommates are the way to go in that situation. I lived on campus in college, but I knew a lot of people who would end up with similar issues and it they always ended up finding someone (usually other students) renting an apartment and sharing a room that way. Eventually even if the person on the lease graduates, everyone else is really settles and it just moves to someone who hasn't, etc.

Well we're much older students in our 30's. We've been together for 7 years as a couple, and even with a roommate we're still priced out of the only complex that does accept financial aid. His disability requires me to take care of him, but we're looking at 3+ years before SSI approval.

Student housing complexes are still divided by gender. Plus we already have a life/apartment together of all our stuff. We've invested too much money to get rid of it.

Zoe

Well we're much older students in our 30's. We've been together for 7 years as a couple, and even with a roommate we're still priced out of the only complex that does accept financial aid. His disability requires me to take care of him, but we're looking at 3+ years before SSI approval.

Student housing complexes are still divided by gender. Plus we already have a life/apartment together of all our stuff. We've invested too much money to get rid of it.

Can either of your parents afford to co-sign?

Can either of your parents afford to co-sign?
Nope. Well that and I live on the other side of the country from them. We have the credit, we have the rental history (with 75% of rent paid in advance, the remainder paid on time), but they won't take our source of income, which has always been the substantial part of our rent money.

Staying at our current place will probably mean only taking one or two classes each. The class times would have to overlap and be in between the times he has to eat. He had his stomach shrunk surgically, so 99% of what's available to eat on campus is off limits for him, and he has to eat about every 3hrs. But his back injury also gets in the way of being comfortable. If he's stuck there all day, he's going to turn into a zombie on pain meds all day. Then he'll wind up failing.

It was not that bad when it was just me going because I could get crappy carby foods and just deal with the heart burn from it, but at least it was cheap. I could also schedule my classes apart to have multiple on the same day. The cost went up, but both of us going there is going to make it go high enough to make it worthwhile to move.

I have a love hate relationship with our apartment. I've made it ours in many ways and grown accustomed to it, but it would be amazing to have an extra 200sq ft and maybe w/d hook ups. Even better would be a two bedroom.

It's frustrating because there's not much on the market right now. We hadn't really talked about moving until he got accepted, even though it was our plan when we moved in here. But workman's comp and SSI is a forever and a day wait. His injury also means wrangling more friends for a move when he used to be able to do the heavy lifting of moving. I'm not looking forward to the idea of dealing with a move and classes.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Will definitely check that out when I get back on land. Though I realize of course queer women of color have it much more difficult.

But man, EyeforanEye, that's a tough situation. Is the injury of your SO permanent or is he recovering?

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
We got called out for being mean :(

Sometimes we are allowed to get a bit snippy no? I try not to.
It's bullshit. Notice how they tone police us for responding to a comment that called the picture "gross", but they don't tone police the person who said "gross" to begin with?

I'm not crazy and this DOES sounds sexist right? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=242051406&postcount=54

Because I'm starting to feel a bit crazy trying to tell this guy he was being sexist (the clear 'being a jerk' part asides)

Yeah, that sounds sexist all right. Sketchy at least.

Media

It's bullshit. Notice how they tone police us for responding to a comment that called the picture "gross", but they don't tone police the person who said "gross" to begin with?

Yeah, that sounds sexist all right. Sketchy at least.

Yep. Now we've got guys going on and on about how we shouldn't call out sexism and just ignore it. Because people have a right to their opinions. People, not us, of course.

Ceallach

Smells like fresh rosebuds
Yeah, that's sexist as fuck. So the narrative now is people are allowed to be sexist-that's just their opinion, man, but we aren't allowed to disagree or combat it? Okay, fuck off.

Misha

Banned
I'm not crazy and this DOES sounds sexist right? http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=242051406&postcount=54

Because I'm starting to feel a bit crazy trying to tell this guy he was being sexist (the clear 'being a jerk' part asides)

the way i see it theres a few things he's saying
1. he's implying less testosterone is an inherently bad thing
2. he's implying men(/people with penises) should be judged on their ability to have an erection
3. he's implying being a woman is a bad thing and leads to questionable judgement (i'm not sure how else to read "which would make sense based on your posts as well")

definitely sexist. i'm sure theres other words to describe it too like indirectly transphobic and also he's crappy at nutritional advice given not everyone starts at the same levels of everything
beyond anything else though, an asshole

Will definitely check that out when I get back on land. Though I realize of course queer women of color have it much more difficult.

But man, EyeforanEye, that's a tough situation. Is the injury of your SO permanent or is he recovering?
Permanent. Low back injury with discs pushing into his spinal canal causing nerve damage down both legs. Multiple doctors have said surgery would be required at some point, but the outcome is unknown.

Media

cz2GHOe.gif

Guys that thread...

It really is like shouting into a void.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Serena Williams thread
Anita Sarkeesian thread
Female gaming convention thread

Man, it's hard being a social justice warrior rogue sometimes. Shit's wearying, I tell you what :D

Is GAF under Russian attack too, or are neckbeards just getting more testy that women now in summer clothes still don't want anything to do with them?

Honestly I've just had this odd feeling of the second coming of gamer gate coming on or something. Gross.

I have a sub to that Red Pill thread that I keep forgetting to delete and every time I see the title in my subs I say NO out loud.

It makes me feel .00001% better.

Kimaka

Is GAF under Russian attack too, or are neckbeards just getting more testy that women now in summer clothes still don't want anything to do with them?

Honestly I've just had this odd feeling of the second coming of gamer gate coming on or something. Gross.

I want to say that it feels more or less the same, but today has been something else.

Eusis

Damn, I go to look at the MRA thread and it zeroes in on that guy's post. Geez, combine that with the posts that shut him down and that's probably all I need to see of that thread.

gaiages

Banned
Wait, now there's an MRA thing and a former mod being a pedo?

What the balls is going on lately GAF

(link to MRA thread please, if it's still active)

Top Bottom