• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Global Game Awards winners for 2015 announced

Hupsel

I feel there is a significant difference in the open world both games offer.

In The Witcher 3 it mainly serves as a background for different storylines to unfold. The main quest forced me to go on a nightly trek to Oxenfurt. I had to travel through lush forests, monster-infested swamps and bloodstained swamps. I could already see the lights of the city in the distance (such a beautiful sight) but I was denied access at the entrance. This is where The Witcher 3 shines: incorporating its beautiful open world into the story, giving quests the extra dimension of travel, exploration and sightseeing. It's the combination of meaningful storytelling and travel that elevates the open world to a higher level.

Fallout 4 on the other hand is very light on storytelling and the motivation to explore the world here is not storytelling but the exploration itself. Simply following quests painted the open world in a very disappointing light for me. In my first fifteen hours I was directed from one raider's camp to another, asking myself why I was doing this. There is very little cohesion, no internal consistency and it offers you very few opportunities to role-play. I can imagine that just exploring the open world and stumbling upon caves and secrets can be fun though.

To me The Witcher 3 feels like an actual medieval land and in comparison Fallout 4 would be a medieval-styled theme park zone. Both aim for different things but I vastly prefer what The Witcher 3 has done.

Fair point. Makes a lot of sense! I which they could kinda mix both of them... something like the exploration from Fallout 4 with quests/location storylines from Wticher 3.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
BEST HANDHELD DEVICE
1. Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge
2. Apple iPhone 6
3. LG Nexus 5X
4. Nokia Lumia 950XL

Ok...now the Nvidia Shield choice makes more sense....lol.

I wouldnt pick any phone over a dedicated handheld. It does say Global awards...

All this makes even more sense now.

SomTervo

The Witcher 3 was a good game and although I think Life Is Strange is better I won't complain about it winning best game, but best story? Seriously? Life Is Strange's story is way better.

I think Life is Strange has far higher highs - but The Witcher 3 is so consistently of a high standard (no lows like LiS), and so broad, so expansive, I can easily see why it got that.

Plus it's the best implementation yet of player choice in a game with deep gameplay mechanics. LiS is great but riffing off the precedent set by Telltale.

Fair point. Makes a lot of sense! I which they could kinda mix both of them... something like the exploration from Fallout 4 with quests/location storylines from Wticher 3.

That would be great. Tbh I have high hopes for Bethesda's next Elder Scrolls game. If they drop that damn engine it could be god-tier.

Kind of surprised The Order wasn't #1 for visuals, as 'meh' of a game it is.

True. Total stunner. Arkham Knight up there, too.

GeoramA

The Witcher 3 is going to clean up in GOTY awards. Definitely the game I'll remember the most from this year. Bloodborne will probably finish second.

And Until Dawn winning over Dying Light is huge for Supermassive. So happy for those guys.

Top Bottom