• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GLOW |OT| The highest rated wrestling program on television - Netflix June 23rd

Finished it. Overall it was great and very funny.

I did think it was strange that on a series that seemed to be created, written, and directed by women, where 90% of the cast is women, all the best lines went to a male character.

I really thought the Machu Pichu actress was particularly good. Too bad she won't get bigger roles because she looks wrong.

gun_haver

I did think it was strange that on a series that seemed to be created, written, and directed by women, where 90% of the cast is women, all the best lines went to a male character.

This is something I've noticed before. Like in the show Girls, in my opinion alot of the best material went to Adam and Ray. The women got some stuff but Adam and Ray were frequently the funniest and also - and this is something that is true in Glow as well - they would frequently get big speeches where they kind of chew out the women and tell them to get their shit together.

When it happened in Girls I thought, well maybe I just have a preference for the male characters in the show and so I notice them more, cos I'm a man. Could still be. It might also be that the women writing it have internalised the typical place of men in film stories so that even when they tip the scales to have a cast primarily made of women, the men that are there end up fitting into a typically dominant role - I don't mean dominant as in tough, but as in they get a lot of the best dialogue, frequently dispense wisdom/judgement, etc.

I think it's a combination of both. We expect men to be funny, but not necessarily women, just out of conditioning. There aren't as many female comedic archetypes so there is more experimentation going on with them, and so there are a variety of hits and misses even with the same characters. With the men - well, you kind of get who Sam is right away don't you? A bitter, kind of misogynistic pretentious asshole who is also actually a big sleazebag. He's not a villain though, so they even that out with a lot of self-awareness and perceptiveness of the people around him. We've seen this kind of character, it can be a potent one, so all that is left is to make sure his lines are good. He's got license to be awful, and also happens to be the only man in the primary cast, so he's got a lot of advantage right away.

I think there's a lot to think about with this. It's interesting. He and Ruth are the two standout characters for me so far. None of the other women are really making me laugh, even if I find them likeable.

orioto

Good Art™
That episode 7 ending got me really stressed.
Can yo imagine if a wwe ppv ended with no finish and the wrestlers got in the ring to sing a song to make up for it ?
Come on..

Bronx-Man

Banned
TYE DILLINGER IS A MIDCARD TREASURE DAMN IT

DILLON_predator.gif

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Why have I never seen this director dude? He's awesome.

Episode 7

Lmao. These wrestling matches.
Was not expecting the KKK shit. The Ruth and Debbie match was great while it lasted.
I love how much fun they seem to be having. Filming this show must be a blast.

gun_haver

Why have I never seen this director dude? He's awesome.

He's Marc Maron. He is/was a stand comedian for decades now, and before this was mostly known for his podcast "WTF", where he interviews various famous people about their lives. He also had a show on IFC (might be still going? never watched) called 'Maron', which I think is just a sitcom loosely based on his life.

He's started showing up in things the past 5 years or so generally playing a crotchety bastard kind of like his character in this. Seems to have found a niche that is working for him, and this is definitely his best role by far.

edit: just realised this post wasn't recent, left browser open, so this has probably been answered several times

Allison Brie likes to do that light eye lid flicker thing, she did it all the time in Community.

...blinking?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I love how
Ruth and Sam
have become friends and I reeeeeeeally hope they dont go romantic.

Rhaknar

Episode 10

Holy shit
Alison's Zoya
costume is awesome

Rhaknar

I will be very very sad when there isnt a snippet of the kids in Stranger Thing with Glow in the background tv or something

(probably wont be since they are probbaly done filming Stranger)

DeathyBoy

Banned
Damn. Can't wait!

It's so wonderful because it takes the puss out of wrestling while being genuinely funny and at the same time is dramatic as Hell and gives everyone stuff to do while being a thirty minute, ten ep show... and at the same time clearly has an affection for wrestling as a medium to tell stories.

The ending is funny it's kinda teaching a lesson to all smarks who didn't like MitB :p

It was a great "fuck you" to wrestle Gaf.

Rhaknar

the
money IS in the chase
tho.

whoever made the show really knows their wrestling stuff tbh.

It's so wonderful because it takes the puss out of wrestling while being genuinely funny and at the same time is dramatic as Hell and gives everyone stuff to do while being a thirty minute, ten ep show... and at the same time clearly has an affection for wrestling as a medium to tell stories.

Is this the show that gets me to rejoin WrestlinGAF lol

Elizabeth Perkins
is in this too? Whew.

Episode 9

Oh man, them sharing their drug addiction stories was great. Also, Mothers and Lovers thwarted by that damn Back to the Future.

And holy shit at that reveal at the end. Crazy given the theme of his movie.

Joeku

k4eB2iA.gif

Top Bottom