• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

I actually kinda DON'T wan to play any Last of Us demo. I'd like for my first experience with it to be the actual game. In fact, I haven't even read any of the other previews OR seen any videos released in the past month or so.

Yeah I am completely with you on that. I really want to go into that game as in the dark as possible.

I actually take that stance on any demo's for games I know I am going to get such as GOWA, and MGSR being the latest ones.

ditto. And MAN it's been hard. Trying to do the same with Bioshock.

Yep, me too. Haven't read any of those previews, trophy lists, haven't seen any of the intro they released. I think the last one I saw was the Land of America or something trailer and thought, "Ok, I don't need to see anymore!"

I'm sorry, did you say randomly generated set pieces? Did I miss some marketing material that I should know about?

They have incorporated smaller set-pieces - players vs enemy, that can pan out in real time. The E3 demo looked very cinematic and staged, but it can be played totally differently each time and you can get very different outcomes and situations thanks to the amazing A.I tech. This dynamically affects the way your partner behaves, the way the enemies behave ect.

I find this quite exciting, and think tech like this should become standard in a few years time.

EDIT - Dynamic set-pieces would be the best way to phrase it.

So I really want to play this but I don't know if I want to buy it day 1. Problem is there is no other option, can't rent games anymore in my area.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
They have incorporated smaller set-pieces - players vs enemy, that can pan out in real time. The E3 demo looked very cinematic and staged, but it can be played totally differently each time and you can get very different outcomes and situations thanks to the amazing A.I tech. This dynamically affects the way your partner behaves, the way the enemies behave ect.

I find this quite exciting, and think tech like this should become standard in a few years time.

EDIT - Dynamic set-pieces would be the best way to phrase it.

That's not a "setpiece." That's just "gameplay."

A setpiece by it's nature is something that's carefully staged and meant to play out in one particular way. Dynamic enemy encounters are the opposite of that.

That's not a "setpiece." That's just "gameplay."

A setpiece by it's nature is something that's carefully staged and meant to play out in one particular way. Dynamic enemy encounters are the opposite of that.

I think if something looks good enough to come off a staged set piece, you can still refer to it as that, just for the sake of making things easier to explain. Obviously if it's dynamic it's no longer scripted, but it looks so slick it comes off as appearing to be. That's the beauty of TLOU.

Himself

Trophy Furies...how is it a triple entendre (just because there's 3 of them)?

1. Play on the phrase "trophy wife."
2. Refers to the "fury" over the name of a particular trophy.
3. Err...the irony of the fact that the Furies are nasty and definitely not anything like your typical trophy wives? Maybe that one is a stretch...

Maybe it was just a double entendre. But I still think it's clever.

I think if something looks good enough to come off a staged set piece, you can still refer to it as that, just for the sake of making things easier to explain.

Did the developers call it that?

Because it confused me, but I understood it by what 'hey it's that dog' said.

Nice. haha

I did think of the phrase trophy wife but didn't see how that fits there, considering the Furies are anything but wives for Kratos. =P

3. Err...the irony of the fact that the Furies are nasty and definitely not anything like your typical trophy wives? Maybe that one is a stretch...

I was thinking more of the phrase "trophy whore" but yeah, mainly a play on all the fury surrounding that controversial trophy.

jaydogg691

Kra-Tos Before Hoes.

igP9k7rbTpm9.gif

Lol. I like he catches the falling blade and continues to paaaaaarty.

B00TE

The announce for the 2 player trials got me super hype again. Can't wait!

Going to go pay off my CE today.

Just_Tank

The original poster should update the first thread, it's missing quite a bit of info - particularly 3 of our MP maps we revealed yesterday from this video, and there is another you'll see when you play the game as well next week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlzpT4E_w2Y

All (3) of these Maps are "Desert of Lost Souls" quality in size and scope:

Labyrinth of DaeDalus
Bog of the Forgotten
Walls of Troy

Love this thread BTW!

Cheers,
Tank

The original poster should update the first thread, it's missing quite a bit of info - particularly 3 of our MP maps we revealed yesterday from this video, and there is another you'll see when you play the game as well next week:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlzpT4E_w2Y

All (3) of these Maps are "Desert of Lost Souls" quality in size and scope:

Labyrinth of DaeDalus
Bog of the Forgotten
Walls of Troy

Love this thread BTW!

Cheers,
Tank

Man, those maps look amazing. I really think this MP has potential, surprised by the negativity in some reviews, I had fun with the beta.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I think if something looks good enough to come off a staged set piece, you can still refer to it as that, just for the sake of making things easier to explain. Obviously if it's dynamic it's no longer scripted, but it looks so slick it comes off as appearing to be. That's the beauty of TLOU.

I don't see how it's easier than calling it an "area" or "level" or "section." Those words mean "a place where gameplay occurs" and aren't burdened with the specific connotations of "setpiece."

It refers to the hullabaloo about the trophy and the fact that furies are in the game. It's a double meaning at most. The wife stuff is nonsense.

I wish I had this fucking game so I could play it instead of debating language usage!

Wow, I seriously had no idea this was coming out this month. Holy fuck it looks good and what the hell it even has The Last of Us demo?! My reaction must've been priceless when I found the Special Edition in a local supermarket. I grabbed it without hesitation.

Gonna play the shit out of it this evening.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
I'll just leave this here for anyone that is interested

If OP can add into first post would be helpful

Go here:

http://www.godofwar.com/en-us/rise-of-the-warrior/

Cheat Sheet Updated, Enjoy!

Chapter 1: Megaera, Arrow
Chapter 2: Zeus, Five
Chapter 3: Argos, Elysium
Chapter 4: Amulet of Fates, Legionnaire
Chapter 5: Aegean Sea, Caves of Madness
Chapter 6: Brothers, Flame
Chapter 7: Helios, Homer
Chapter 8: Cronos, Aeaea
Chapter 9: Hydra, Boar
Chapter 10: Cerberus, Distrust
Chapter 11: Gorgon, Sacrifice
Chapter 12: Calliope, War Hammer
Chapter 13: Gaia, Poseidon
Chapter 14: Island of Creation, Poison
Chapter 15: Oracle Temple, Gem of Uroborus
Chapter 16: Persephone, Family
Chapter 17: Tartarus, Kirra < (This is where you will unlock the last items for MP, 5100 Point)
Chapter 18: Thera, Oath
Chapter 19: Furies, Imprisoned
Chapter 20: Nemesis Whip, Orkos

Remember to share, you don't have to post it!, just click button = +100 points per chapter

Where has everyone/anyone pre-ordered from?

Best Buy

Collector's Edition!

Got it for the Pre-Order bonus Mjolnir Hammer (Tie in with the History Channels Vikings show... foreshadowing perhaps... hmmm....)

12 hours for me on normal difficulty - the whole campaign I died about 10 times. There's one really hard battle toward the end of the game and that's it.

Nice. I remember when people were thinking it might be a 6 hour campaign, back when the designers were saying it would be around GOW1 length. Sounds pretty substantial.

GraveRobberX

Hey Tank I never got a reply back from the PM I sent ya lol

Also how are the codes going to be handled for Rise of the Warrior?

12 hours for me on normal difficulty - the whole campaign I died about 10 times. There's one really hard battle toward the end of the game and that's it.

12 hours? How are some reviews saying it's shorter than GoW3? That was 8-9 hours tops. I guess it depends on your playstile or if you get stuck but I would be very happy if it took me 12 hours to finish.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I actually kinda DON'T wan to play any Last of Us demo. I'd like for my first experience with it to be the actual game. In fact, I haven't even read any of the other previews OR seen any videos released in the past month or so.

I've been on an embargo since before the VGAs. Haven't seen anything in a long time. If it's the E3 demo I'll play it, since I've seen that, but if it's different I'm skipping it. Same reason I skipped the Ascension demo even though I got early access through Rise of the Warrior.

I'm really excited to be going into this and Infinite fresh. I used to get into a bad habit of seeing just a bit too much of some games and it really ruined them for me, KZ2 and GoW3 especially. It's been hard to ignore media for some games but it really as made me enjoy them more. I glance through some reviews so I can prepare myself for what may not be as strong in the game so I won't be let down and can focus on the good.

Just_Tank

I fully admit I've been lackluster on my PM's as of late, apologies bro.

Rise of the Warrior codes will be given directly on our website. Updating our FAQ shortly today.

-Tank

The_Monk

I also never got a PM from him fellow GAFfer and it was regarding a Meeting I had with two Lead Designers from God of War (Mark Simon and Jason MacDonald)

I requested a simple help but did not got any, and it was a simple one. Oh well. At least fellow GAFfer and Mod Kagari helped me which was good.

-----

Still thinking If I will get this on Day one (Steelbook case, DLC and 90 Days of PS Plus) for 40€.

Just_Tank

12 hours? How are some reviews saying it's shorter than GoW3? That was 8-9 hours tops. I guess it depends on your playstile or if you get stuck but I would be very happy if it took me 12 hours to finish.

The average play-through time will be around 8 hours. Even if you try to do a speed-run through it, you're still looking at 6-7, easy.

If you want to really enjoy every moment, slow down a tad and you'll likely fall around 9-11 hours.

-Tank

Just_Tank

I also never got a PM from him fellow GAFfer and it was regarding a Meeting I had with two Lead Designers from God of War (Mark Simon and Jason MacDonald)

I requested a simple help but did not got any, and it was a simple one. Oh well. At least fellow GAFfer and Mod Kagari helped me which was good.

-----

Still thinking If I will get this on Day one (Steelbook case, DLC and 90 Days of PS Plus) for 40€.

And my apologies to you as well. I am easily reached on Twitter @Just_Tank, but have been poor at checking my PM's here. Hit me up again if it's pertinent, happy to help.

-Tank

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The average play-through time will be around 8 hours. Even if you try to do a speed-run through it, you're still looking at 6-7, easy.

If you want to really enjoy every moment, slow down a tad and you'll likely fall around 9-11 hours.

-Tank

Nice. I'll probably be in the 8-9 range, which is my sweet spot for games like this. Easily replayable without being a slog to get through again.

Narolf

Banned

It really is.

-Tank

So pretty much the length of most single player action/adventure games these days. Very nice.

GraveRobberX

Nice. I'll probably be in the 8-9 range, which is my sweet spot for games like this. Easily replayable without being a slog to get through again.

Then there's MP and Co-Op to boot!

Most overlook that

I think it might catch on

Fuck I wanna Co-Op with some GAFfers

The_Monk

Mark Simon told us on that the game is about 10 Hours; when asked (two weeks ago) if they had done a Speed Run they told "No" adding "And why should you Speed Run this game ;)" and said that the fastest game session they had was about 10 hours.

But I agree it depends on your play-style.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Then there's MP and Co-Op to boot!

Most overlook that

I think it might catch on

Fuck I wanna Co-Op with some GAFfers

I'll definitely be playing co-op.

Competitive I'm not so sure I'll be playing much. It was a travesty how bad I was at the beta. I'm usually pretty good when it comes to GoW but that beta made me look like I had never played a video game in my life :lol

I've been on an embargo since before the VGAs. Haven't seen anything in a long time. If it's the E3 demo I'll play it, since I've seen that, but if it's different I'm skipping it. Same reason I skipped the Ascension demo even though I got early access through Rise of the Warrior.

I'm really excited to be going into this and Infinite fresh. I used to get into a bad habit of seeing just a bit too much of some games and it really ruined them for me, KZ2 and GoW3 especially. It's been hard to ignore media for some games but it really as made me enjoy them more. I glance through some reviews so I can prepare myself for what may not be as strong in the game so I won't be let down and can focus on the good.

That's exactly how I do it. When certain games are released I can tell that people who saw all the pre-release material end up having a worse experience.
How was the Poseidon fight supposed to blow you away if you had already seen it for example? You should experience something like that for the first time while playing or it wont have the impact it's intended to have.
Publishers just release so much footage these days, then they are surprised when players who had already seen all the highlights play through their games and come away with a "meh" reaction.
I did play the GoW demo though because I wanted to familiarize myself with the changes to the combat and I guess we had some good debate in the demo thread which I was glad to be a part of.
I don't think I can resist playing the TLOU demo even though I've managed to stay on a media blackout since the very first gameplay demo, specially now that the game has been delayed, I will end up playing it and dissecting every inch of it.

Mik_Pad

Banned

-Tank
I'm happy you didn't add hard to get MP trophies, but I hope you add more via DLC like Uncharted :D

GraveRobberX

I'll definitely be playing co-op.

Competitive I'm not so sure I'll be playing much. It was a travesty how bad I was at the beta. I'm usually pretty good when it comes to GoW but that beta made me look like I had never played a video game in my life

Always be defensive

Most in the beginning played it like GOW mash the fucking attack buttons and get kills

If you get decent @ Parry/Roll and Grab Chain, you can seriously dominate

Also all these armors and different abilities/stats they bring to the table will be one hell of pick and choose model

-Tank

Thanks. I never do speed-runs as I like to take my time and enjoy every moment to its fullest but when its a game I'm good at I end up getting below average completion times regardless. I guess I should expect between 8-9 hours then. Good enough.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Always be defensive

Most in the beginning played it like GOW mash the fucking attack buttons and get kills

If you get decent @ Parry/Roll and Grab Chain, you can seriously dominate

Also all these armors and different abilities/stats they bring to the table will be one hell of pick and choose model

I didn't play the beta quite enough to get much armor stuff and that was part of my problem. Everyone looked the same and I lost my character a lot. I'm sure the final game won't have that issue, at least quite to the same extent.

Top Bottom