• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension |OT| Gods up, Foes down

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
That patch is too little, too late. Most people who wanted to play this game, have done so already. It's ridiculous that a fix for these kind of problems is only coming out now. Still, it's better than nothing. People lttp are in luck.

Loudninja

Patch notes:
Our Elite Update is quite significant. Make sure to view the full change-list below. A few notable key fixes/enhancements from the Elite Update include:

• "Elite Levels" - Going Beyond Level 30 - You may be a Champion already at Level 30, but to truly become a legend of Olympus, you'll need to become an "Elite Champion". We've increased the allegiance level cap from 30 to 40. With the addition of 10 levels for every God allegiance, we are introducing a new God item, two new relics, and an ultimate magic for every allegiance, unlocking powerful new abilities. To all Warriors rising to become an "elite" Champion of Olympus, now you have a new goal to reach. It will not be an easy journey.
  • Player Stat Card - you can now access various stats about your Champion's performance including kill-death ratio, wins, losses, and more. Access directly from the customization menu.
  • Game Mode Inspect Card - in the Game Modes menu, we've added an option that allows you to see the scoring rules for each Game Mode so you understand what each objective is worth when in battle.
  • Match of Champions 4-player scoring adjusted to 1600 favor (from 2000) balance match times in line with the rest of the Multiplayer modes. This now makes both 8 and 4 player Favor of the Gods the same 1600 scoring win goal.

COMBAT

• Zeus Spear now uses correct damage multipliers: L1 triangle special was not correctly using elemental damage multipliers (was using physical instead).
  • Global Spear Attacks: Triangle in the air with spear was unblockable, yet could still be parried, it can no longer be parried.
  • Poseidon Shield God Item: The shield will now become active when the player recovers rather than while still in the activation animation.
  • Adjusted stats of the Hades spear to better suit the intended gameplay.
  • Medusa Armor is now slightly easier to acquire.
  • The healing amount granted to the player when using the Poseidon Heal Magic will now increase as the magic is ranked up.
  • Miscellaneous fixes to slow debuffs/animations not displaying correctly. Will now prevent most related cases where the player would get get stuck in a bad state, and unable to respawn. This is greatly improved, per this fix.
  • God ability pickups for new God items now appear in the correct order in the customization menu.

KEY BUGS ADDRESSED

• Addressed all major audio issues - most commonly noted for single-player. The sound mix will no longer drop out.
  • Spartans no longer stuck in a stoned state when they are hit by the Hammer of Helios explosion.
  • AUDIO: Sound channel output bug: Game now defaults to stereo for all new players. Existing players with preferences set already should double check their in-game sound output options and make sure they are set for the speaker configuration they are using.
  • AUDIO: Addressed issue with music being too quiet in various parts of the game.
  • AUDIO: Addressed sound mixing issues affecting cut scenes and major boss battles throughout Hecaton Level.
  • AUDIO: Fixed a sound mix problem during the cutscene in the Hecaton bordello (outdoor wind sound was playing when you are indoors).
  • AUDIO: Fixed missing sound FX impacting some moves for War Hammer of Ares, Maul of Zeus, Spear of Hades, Blade of Poseidon, Cronos Blade.
  • AUDIO: Music now plays in Trial of the Gods (1 and 2 Player) for Desert of Lost Souls.
http://godofwar.playstation.com/en-us/blog/god-war-ascension-elite-update/?submit=submit

Toppot

This new Ares Relic:

Relic of Determination - rewards a warrior for keeping death at bay by increasing the Physical and Elemental Power with each minute of life he can accumulate. Those that live the longest will reap the greatest rewards, allowing the Warrior to become a lion on the battlefield, savagely mauling enemies and sending them to Tartarus before the thought, or option, of escape becomes a possibility.

Is VERY useful in PvE, especially Desert of Lost Souls, as the games often go on for so long you can max it out at 100% extra Physical Damage and Elemental Damage, making doing the Trail of the Gods 1 player very easy.

If used Ares, with fully upgraded Artemis, a good weapon and Horn of Restoration, you can max out your character to like 215% Physical attack, and that's with the relic at level 1. 265 at relic level 2.

Watching my mate play using the relic and it is just godly, got to the polythemus kill 1 player with 11 minutes left.

grendelrt

Finally can play the game I bought over a month ago! super disappointed it took this long, but anyways started playing single player again. I have to say the
snakes
I just finished is one of my favorite Gow areas, really cool.

Xtpro

Neo Member
I haven't tested SP yet, but if the sound issues aren't still fixed after all this wait... Well that just sucks. Lucky for me I hardly even noticed any sound problems during my first run or at least they weren't anything too significant so I won't have a problem with this. But I surely don't get it how can't they fix such a small thing. Or actually after Basics of Coding-course last autumn, yeah I think I understand.

grendelrt

Awesome. the sound issues are EXACTLY THE SAME. Nothing has been fixed. what the hell??

I wasnt at the beginning at the game but I had it set to 7.1 and the sound was way better than the day of release for me, maybe later on it wasnt as bad or maybe some setups are working?

TEH-CJ

Banned
I wasnt at the beginning at the game but I had it set to 7.1 and the sound was way better than the day of release for me, maybe later on it wasnt as bad or maybe some setups are working?

Still getting delayed sound, missing effects, etc etc

the directional / surround audio seems to be approved but still lots of audio bugs :(

on a side note, changing the game language to Greek is pretty awesome. Proffesionaly done and I actually the prefer the Greek voice acting over the English.

gibration

Got a few games in today. There's still a couple of bugs here and there but matchmaking has been drastically improved. I'm impressed.

Also, have they mentioned of any upcoming DLC for season pass holders?

Autofokus

This is so sad.
Played for ~2 hours at release and stopped because of the audio issues. Now, with the latest patch I'm at the point where you get the time heal/decay thing and the fucking camera is stuck at the bridge. I jumped around like a fool til I triggered a cut-scene (oracle) and the dumb cam is still stuck afterwards - reloading the checkpoint or the profile from the main menu doesn't fix it.

I assume using 'Chapter Select' would help, but right now, I'm pretty done with this game. :(

mo1518

Neo Member
This is so sad.
Played for ~2 hours at release and stopped because of the audio issues. Now, with the latest patch I'm at the point where you get the time heal/decay thing and the fucking camera is stuck at the bridge. I jumped around like a fool til I triggered a cut-scene (oracle) and the dumb cam is still stuck afterwards - reloading the checkpoint or the profile from the main menu doesn't fix it.

I assume using 'Chapter Select' would help, but right now, I'm pretty done with this game. :(
I am at this exact point and it is so glitchy. It's frozen my system three times now, and each time I load it back up a new glitch happens - Kratos' blades are invisible, the camera doesn't move, no audio whatsoever, the cinematic starts and audio actually plays but the movie is stuck on the first frame... I can't believe this game is still such a buggy mess.

TEH-CJ

Banned
Why does the Poseidon magic have such absurd priority?

Tell me about it bro. Poseidon is too frustrating to fight. He has insane amount of defence and health and cheap magic to boot. Can be an incredibly frustrating experience taking on two poseidon players.

rvy

Banned
So, why does everyone dislike the single again? Seems on par with the other games, albeit a bit more unpolished.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I'm done with this game.

fighting people that use magic exploits takes no skill. I would of won 2 of those matches if the tether was working, or my L1 special would activate instead of doing a heavy attack.

The controls have some form of input lag after the patch, the hit detection is horrendous, Zeus and posedion players have so many magic exploits its not even funny. Broken combat mechanics...I could go on and on.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So did we ever find out where reviewers were getting stuck for like 6 hours or whatever because they thought something was a puzzle when it wasn't, or something?

I can't think of any point in the game where I actually for stuck for more than a few minutes, and that was just because the highlight for grabbing something wasn't popping up correctly.

Toppot

When do we get the unlocks for that Web-game I participated in?

They have been out for ages. Go to www.godofwar.com , enter date of birth etc. Under the main image on the front page on the left hand side is: 'Claim Your Rewards, Rise of the Warrior!, Your Gifts, Have Been Unlocked!'

So did we ever find out where reviewers were getting stuck for like 6 hours or whatever because they thought something was a puzzle when it wasn't, or something?

I can't think of any point in the game where I actually for stuck for more than a few minutes, and that was just because the highlight for grabbing something wasn't popping up correctly.

I think it was in the puzzle room with the hour glass, that is the only place I got stuck for a bit.

Kak.efes

A certain unlockable weapon, if used properly, will actually have you feeling like a god playing amongst mortals. I went from barely getting any kills, and wins, to leading my team to victory after victory. I haven't played in several weeks too, so rust isn't even a factor.

rdrr gnr

I am getting disconnected like a motherfucker. I like how Just_Tank hyped the fuck out of the game leading up to the release -- and now people are bitching and he is nowhere to be found.
Tell me about it bro. Poseidon is too frustrating to fight. He has insane amount of defence and health and cheap magic to boot. Can be an incredibly frustrating experience taking on two poseidon players.
I feel like I have a pretty deep understanding of this game -- I think Poseidon magic beats everything. Chains, thrown items, other magics, combos -- everything but an L2 escape.

TEH-CJ

Banned
I am getting disconnected like a motherfucker. I like how Just_Tank hyped the fuck out of the game leading up to the release -- and now people are bitching and he is nowhere to be found.

I feel like I have a pretty deep understanding of this game -- I think Poseidon magic beats everything. Chains, thrown items, other magics, combos -- everything but an L2 escape.

Sold this game today. Will not buy another santa monica game unless I read the reviews first this time. This is hands down the most bullshit unbalanced and frustrating game I have ever played.

ssm broke this game with the spear of destiny and numerous other exploits, bugs, shitty mechanics and frustrating gameplay.

Why am I fighting with the controls? why don't my L1 specials activate at times? why is there input lag after the 1.04 patch? why is the tether glitch there? I can go on and on.

why couldn't you make this game more of a mellee focused game and less magic bullshit? how is there skill in spamming the specials on spear of destiny? When I play I like to play fair, I don't like spamming magic as it takes no skill nor is it fun.

I had one guy that I have been fighting against for couple of nights now and he would constantly spam the spear of destiny every 2 seconds, as soon as I am about to kill him he runs for the nearest health fountain, rinse and repeat. he uses every possible exploit he can with Zeus and posideion and its hard enough to kill posidien with his bullshit amount of health he has.

if this is what the game has come to now, then I'm done with it. No desire to go back to the medicore single player or the unbalanced frustrating multiplayer.

Sold this game today. Will not buy another santa monica game unless I read the reviews first this time. This is hands down the most bullshit unbalanced and frustrating game I have ever played.

ssm broke this game with the spear of destiny and numerous other exploits, bugs, shitty mechanics and frustrating gameplay.

Why am I fighting with the controls? why don't my L1 specials activate at times? why is there input lag after the 1.04 patch? why is the tether glitch there? I can go on and on.

why couldn't you make this game more of a mellee focused game and less magic bullshit? how is there skill in spamming the specials on spear of destiny? When I play I like to play fair, I don't like spamming magic as it takes no skill nor is it fun.

I had one guy that I have been fighting against for couple of nights now and he would constantly spam the spear of destiny every 2 seconds, as soon as I am about to kill him he runs for the nearest health fountain, rinse and repeat. he uses every possible exploit he can with Zeus and posideion and its hard enough to kill posidien with his bullshit amount of health he has.

if this is what the game has come to now, then I'm done with it. No desire to go back to the medicore single player or the unbalanced frustrating multiplayer.

Welcome to limbo :( I basically left for same reasons. And yes I think the magic/specials just got too much in the way of real combat.

Unbalanced, unskillful, run-away for healing... messy experience. Fun at times, but the rest is hair pulling. Had potential sadly.

TDSpartan

Neo Member
Why does the Poseidon magic have such absurd priority?

You mean the crest/wave of ice? All Gods have magic like that. Hades has the grab, Fist of Ares, Zeus the lightning ball and cone etc.

Those magic attacks once triggered, cannot be stopped by anything except death. They can be easily evaded if you're looking for them. Only way they land is to wait for opponent to commit to an attack then trigger it and take the hit.

Don't understand why you're singling out Poseidon when all classes have magic like this?

Why am I fighting with the controls? why don't my L1 specials activate at times?

The L1 specials can't be triggered while evading, in recovery state from combo/juggle (white) etc. You have to wait until you are on your feet again and in normal state then press it. Combat is more about anticipating enemy inputs than split second reactions. Otherwise you could parry everything with ease.

My only beef with SOD is that the L1 Sq special cannot be parried, that's bullshit.

As an Ares, my weakness is magic, but I rarely have much trouble with Poseidons.

Zeus on the other hand...

Ares is my main too. A fully loaded skilled Zeus is just about the only thing I fear (bar 3/4v1) , and even then... he better land that magic because if he whiffs I will snap him in half. Zeus is so brittle.

Not enough people seem to know what they are doing with Poseidon to fear him. I do tear shit up with him though, so know how beastly he can be.

I have builds for both gods that are extremely effective.

TEH-CJ

Banned
You mean the crest/wave of ice? All Gods have magic like that. Hades has the grab, Fist of Ares, Zeus the lightning ball and cone etc.

Those magic attacks once triggered, cannot be stopped by anything except death. They can be easily evaded if you're looking for them. Only way they land is to wait for opponent to commit to an attack then trigger it and take the hit.

Don't understand why you're singling out Poseidon when all classes have magic like this?

The L1 specials can't be triggered while evading, in recovery state from combo/juggle (white) etc. You have to wait until you are on your feet again and in normal state then press it. Combat is more about anticipating enemy inputs than split second reactions. Otherwise you could parry everything with ease.

My only beef with SOD is that the L1 Sq special cannot be parried, that's bullshit.

Ares is my main too. A fully loaded skilled Zeus is just about the only thing I fear (bar 3/4v1) , and even then... he better land that magic because if he whiffs I will snap him in half. Zeus is so brittle.

Not enough people seem to know what they are doing with Poseidon to fear him. I do tear shit up with him though, so know how beastly he can be.

I have builds for both gods that are extremely effective.

Hey TDspartan

have you come across BlueSteel? and can you beat him? he is hands down the most frustrating person to fight against. I tear most people up but when he constantly spams the SOD whilst using posidien.......its too frustrating man.

when he plays as Ares mind you, I walk all over him, but when he uses Zeus or posidien....too much bullshit.

rdrr gnr

Try reading my post again? Priority

A descriptive measure of an attack's tendency to strike the opponent when that opponent is also attacking. In general, higher priority attacks always interrupt lower priority attacks.
Its only trade-off is the narrowness of the actual attack. It is otherwise absurdly good.

rdrr gnr

I don't think you can criticize someone for running to health and magic. It's what any aware player would do. Sometimes I am on the losing end of engagements -- why would I stay and fight to my certain death when I can possibly regain some health and return to win? I agree the SP is mediocre. And I agree that the MP has problems -- but I still think it works surprisingly well. Some weapons (the Spear included) are incredibly annoying to fight against. There is a Zeus spear that shoots out this little ball that is incredibly annoying. Lag does exist -- especially with the grapple. The connection quality varies greatly (is this game P2P?). But there is room to simply adapt. Some things are incredibly difficult to adapt to but there is enough flexibility where one can only blame the game to a limited degree. Maybe it's just not for you. I think the concept and execution for this component can be considered successes. But the longevity and impact of the mode could be considered a failure. I think SSM's response has been an absolute failure. The fact their community manager frequented hype threads more than this one is slimy as fuck.

TDSpartan

Neo Member
Hey TDspartan

have you come across BlueSteel? and can you beat him? he is hands down the most frustrating person to fight against. I tear most people up but when he constantly spams the SOD whilst using posidien.......its too frustrating man.

when he plays as Ares mind you, I walk all over him, but when he uses Zeus or posidien....too much bullshit.

I actually did earlier today, haha. As luck would have it... I was Poseidon and using the BOA opposed to my usual SOD. The other guy ( match of champions) left and made it a 1v1. I had something like 5 phys attack, and with the BOA you can see that I was incapable of doing any damage at all to him. I was wailing on him all match and getting nowhere. He uses the siren item and the low health buff relic. Must have hit him 2-3 times more than he hit me, but his SOD magic damage was taking off chunks while my hits did jack shit so he won easily. That was extremely frustrating, I must admit... however that was just a case of a build coming up against a ridiculous hard counter. I genuinely don't think there was a worse match up for my Poseidon there.

The next match I switched to Ares, we got a full room and I went 10-4 and he went about 5-7 IIRC or something bad.

Pretty confident my Ares ( or a magic based build) could smash through him, stubbornness of build aside he left himself wide open to be juggled countless times.

Who do you main? If it's Hades or a non magic Poisedon, would be a very stubborn fight.

Try reading my post again? Priority

Its only trade-off is the narrowness of the actual attack. It is otherwise absurdly good.

The magics I listed work exactly the same way.... they have the same high priority of the crest. They override just about every other attack if you can take the damage without dying. I tank through everything with the Fist of Ares. Hades grab similar.

test_account

XP-39C²
I'm glad to see that changed how the XP is handed out :) Before, if the host disconnected, you wouldnt get any XP for that round. But now you get XP in realtime, so if the host disconnects, you still get all the XP earned in that round anyway.

BHK3

Banned
So, why does everyone dislike the single again? Seems on par with the other games, albeit a bit more unpolished.
Lol really? Go back about 50 pages if you want to see why the game is disliked.

Um...we've always known, and that was only one case, Adam Sesslar. He was stuck at the trial of Archimedes because he sucks at video games and his stuff was very under leveled.

I was able to deal with the magic BS, but the fact that people can just jump around and press triangle with a sword and it'll have priorty over most of my attacks then lead up with a killing combo, is not fun. I'm playing god of war not marvel vs. capcom.

rdrr gnr

The Fist of Ares loses against the Crest. And, no, not all magics have the same priority. They are different. I'll see if I can't confirm this by joining a free-for-all with a friend and trying it sometime later this week.

Top Bottom