• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of War Ascension Screenshots - Best looking Console Game this gen ?

meta4

It was all over the place. Even if it didn't go below 30 it was still jarring.

To be honest I never felt it to be jarring because the motion blur helped eliminate the effect of variable FPS. But you are right that it was all over the place and particularly in the really epic moments like the opening sequence which I assume was really resource intensive. I think Digital foundry had a video of the frame rate analysis that they did for the opening. Here it is - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woad5I3hYOc

Really jumps but I never felt it somehow.

AlphaDump

Gold Member
Uh, this looks better than GoW 3. The animations and lighting all seem to be significantly improved.

It's also one god damn level. Let's wait till it is finished before we decide to shit on a companies hard work.

Reiko

Banned
I think SSM is using the Sony MLAA implementation and that has too much of a CPU cost for how ND programs. I bet Last of Us has even less CPU headroom than Uncharted 3 given that it's more open and the AI looks a lot better.

They could probably use it. But I think it would seriously hamper the framerate.

Fezan

Eh, it's something you get used to after awhile. (Unless you're speaking from experience playing?)

And remember that these gifs do drop frames compared to the real thing (most of these aren't running close to 60 FPS, it'd make the file size too large), so actual footage will look quite different.

I really wish they'd make a PC version for this. It'd look sooo goood...

Yeah speaking from my experience playing GOW3
was never a problem for in Ps2 or Hd2 version

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Well, these shots make me happy that we're getting new hardware next year if this is what constitutes March 2010 -> March 2013.
Since its a prequel my guess is that Santa Monica intentionally held back to avoid making it look better than 3. They simply wanted to sidestep the "prequel" dilemma. I mean, here's what the PS3 can do in 2013...

http://i.imgur.com/hgnklastofus1.gif[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/gjifdlastofus2.gif[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ftymbbeyond.gif[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/fvhjkillzone2.gif[img]
[img]http://i.imgur.com/ffhupuppeteer.gif[img]

jett

D-Member
I think SSM is using the Sony MLAA implementation and that has too much of a CPU cost for how ND programs. I bet Last of Us has even less CPU headroom than Uncharted 3 given that it's more open and the AI looks a lot better.

Yeah I suppose. BTW SSM developed said MLAA implementation jointly with SCEE, clearly it's better than ever now. I bet this solution would look even better at higher resolutions, and the PS4 will probably be able to spare the CPU cycles. :p

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Yeah I suppose. BTW SSM developed said MLAA implementation jointly with SCEE, clearly it's better than ever now. I bet this solution would look even better at higher resolutions, and the PS4 will probably be able to spare the CPU cycles. :p

Yeah, I think they'll either advance MLAA for PS4 or do something similar with SMAA since it shares a lot of the same principles.

People seem to forget the fact that some parts of GoW3 looked amazingly good, but others looked extremely bad.

Hera's Garden was ugly in comparison to the intro level... not to mention the NPC characters (even major ones) looked like they were from a gen ago. (even more jarring compared to the amazing Kratos character model)

This one looks to remedy that as well..the NPCs look WAY better. It will more than likely be of a more consistent quality across the board!

meta4

People seem to forget the fact that some parts of GoW3 looked amazingly good, but others looked extremely bad.

Hera's Garden was ugly in comparison to the intro level... not to mention the NPC characters (even major ones) looked like they were from a gen ago. (even more jarring compared to the amazing Kratos character model)

This one looks to remedy that as well..the NPCs look WAY better. It will more than likely be of a more consistent quality across the board!

Yeah it was not always consistent in its visuals. Like you said Hera's Garden looks nowhere close to the Cronos, Hercules or Poseidon segments. Hopefully this time it will be consistent.

Kind of OT, but that scene after Pandora sacrificed her life always bugged me. Kratos seems all intrigued cause he's seemingly found something that can kill a God, but...he's been killing Gods during the entire game!

Yeah. He should have just said 'Power to kill zeus'. The story was pretty lame. GOW1 had the best story in the series imo.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
How can you be so sure, when all the media we have comes from one area, including this demo?

I'm willing to bet it had a significantly smaller budget*, shorter dev cycle*, and more importantly lower expectation from Sony. I'd really be surprised if it ended up being more polished/consistent, especially when you consider the emphasis of the MP.

* (then again with GoW3 as its foundation, it might as well)

ohlawd

Yes yes yes.

oh my god Hera herself was the worst offender.

How can you be so sure, when all the media we have comes from one area, including this demo?

I'm willing to bet it had a significantly smaller budget*, shorter dev cycle*, and more importantly lower expectation from Sony. I'd really be surprised if it ended up being more polished/consistent, especially when you consider the emphasis of the MP.

* (then again with GoW3 as its foundation, it might as well)

In no way did I claim to be 100% sure. I'm basing my perspective off the demo though, and already in the demo the NPCs look much better than what was in GoW3. It leads me to believe that they are putting/have put more work into other areas of the game, rather than just Kratos, and having huge screensized enemies.

Those things are great, but if you are in an area that doesn't have those things, it's important and expected that the other aspects are more consistent.

ibMzhu6QBqRXD.jpg
2105940-baraka.jpg

?

Yeah it was not always consistent in its visuals. Like you said Hera's Garden looks nowhere close to the Cronos, Hercules or Poseidon segments. Hopefully this time it will be consistent.

Yeah. He should have just said 'Power to kill zeus'. The story was pretty lame. GOW1 had the best story in the series imo.

Without a doubt.

JoeFenix

I think the game looks amazing on both a technical and artistic level, the lighting model is superb and the skin shaders are some of the best I"ve seen.

The demo was also the most fun a GoW game has ever felt, combat wise. I can't believe someone said it almost looks like an upscaled PS2 game, get out of here haha!

Raist

Banned
While GoW generally has weaker textures overall than, say, Uncharted, the IQ, lighting and use of blur are truly something else.

Haunted

I can't freaking wait to find out if we can actually fight that thing or if it's just a cutscene, either way i'm excited.
QTE

Well, these shots make me happy that we're getting new hardware next year if this is what constitutes March 2010 -> March 2013.
Artificially drawn out console cycles are the enemy of technological progress, who would've thought.

There's only so much you can do with the same hardware.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Just bought Ghost of Sparta HD on the PSN store.

Can't wait.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It's soooo good. Easily the best story of the series and arguably the best combat. Ready At Dawn have my full attention after that game.

My favorite is God of War 2, very excited for GoS.

RPGCrazied

Looks awesome, but wasn't so wowed at the multiplayer beta demo. I want to try the SP demo, but don't want to buy the crappy Total Recall movie to get it. I guess I'll wait for it to hit the PSN. Soon I hope.

V_Ben

Banned
Yeah, I'm intrigued as well. Few comments here mentioned something along those lines.

They've said in the past that they're just not fussed about the series. Nothing really sinister. It sort of appeared after 3, franchise fatigue. Its been the same with them and Gears Judgement also... just not excited.

DieH@rd

Banned
Anyone that's excited for this should play Ghost of Sparta if they haven't yet. I played the HD release of it over the summer and it's my favorite GoW. The story was great and the combat was really fun. It honestly made me feel like this could be a far more compelling installment than originally thought despite being another prequel.

Agreed, fantastic game.

Every GoW fan NEEEEEEDS to play Ghost of Sparta, especially if they have PS3. I will definatley replay the game one day when I get 3D TV.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
It still suffers from the same sub pixel issues as UC3. And some places hold up better than others like UC3.
Well, I never noticed some standout shimmery moments in all that E3 gameplay footage. It's maybe the fact that the game uses less contrast colors than UC3 did, or maybe they've done something better.

I still think that GT5 is still the most impressive game on the PS3, some parts of the game literally looks semi-photorealistic. Also Killzone 3 has better lighting/texture work I think, but other than that SSM is god-like when it come to animation.

'Best looking console game this gen'

Until the next 'best looking console game this gen' comes out in a few months to only be upped by the 'Best looking console game this gen' a month later.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
'Best looking console game this gen'

Until the next 'best looking console game this gen' comes out in a few months to only be upped by the 'Best looking console game this gen' a month later.

Not really. There are a select few games that can compete for that title out of the hundreds if not thousands of games released this gen on 360 and PS3.

Killzone 2-3
God of War 3
Uncharted 2-3
God of War 3
Halo Reach-4
Crysis 12
Forza 4
GT6
And that's about it give or take a couple.

Everything else just isn't in the running.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The camerawork also took skill and craft to implement, so I find it more impressive.

GoW3 is one of the only games that has some incredible camera work. The way it constantly moves in an out, rotating, while still keeping the play space focused is a really crazy feat and looked insanely good. I don't think any other game has done anything like that.

Durante

Oh, and BTW, U3 and Forza (and dare I say it, 360's Witcher 2) are superior in IQ than what we see right now, that kratos hi-poly model is eating half of the resources and so the enviroments are bland and textures low res.
Do you know what IQ means? Forzy is the only AAA console game that is on par with GoW, at least of the ones I am aware of. The Uncharted games have the usual (terrible) console IQ.

Edit: and this is why you shouldn't reply on a tab you kept open for an hour or three.

God of War beats The Last of Us on IQ thanks to aniso filtering alone. That was my biggest issue with Uncharted games' IQ. It's a compromise due to bandwith and based on just how few people notice it, it's a good compromise, but it's definitely noticable.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think the animator just had too much caffeine that day.
I assume that he just animated his face after chugging an energy drink.

God of War beats The Last of Us on IQ thanks to aniso filtering alone. That was my biggest issue with Uncharted games' IQ. It's a compromise due to bandwith and based on just how few people notice it, it's a good compromise, but it's definitely noticable.

I hope AF is standard next gen. It should be, given how many more texture units modern GPUs have. It makes a pretty big difference, even without raising the base texture resolution.

RPGCrazied

So um, do you think this will be on PSN before release? I wonder how long the Total Recall movie got exclusive rights to it.

Top Bottom